MHL adapter i777 oriented (not other devices)

Search This thread

Edgarhighman

Dec 2, 2011
I searched up "MHL hdmi" and got a few threads from other phones forums on XDA; half were before our phone came out or the cable was available.

My question is which mhl adapter actually works on our phones (i777)

I've seen a large variety out there; ranging from white to black, 2 cables or 1 cable +inlet for power cable, "samsung" imprinted mhl adapters, and OEM ones.

I've read some distort the phone screen while connected to the tv, others cut off wifi while connected, some OEM can use remotes to operate the phone, while others didn't or OEMs not performing properly.

I've seen generic ones from $6 up, OEM logo'd ones at $6 and OEM packaged ones at $33+

Do we have a specific model/brand sure to work without error? Using TV remote is a plus. I've seen some for sale with wireless mini keyboards (bonus) and that catches my eye

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA

monsieurtalbot

Aug 8, 2010
West Palm Beach
www.facebook.com
I'm personally just using one random black one I got on ebay, seems to work fine.

I would THINK MHL is a standard, and though some might not function QUITE as well as others, they should all serve their basic purpose.

I haven't seen any that don't require USB power though, mind linking to the one you've found? Maybe link the ones with the Mini Keyboards...? I'm interested.

Nizda1

Nov 12, 2011
Theres so many now its everywhere. As far as working my retail samsung hdtv smart adapter,name.on box i paid about 25$. It still works perfect and.ive had.it since this phone came out. Also just for the heck of it tried.it earlier.works.fine.in.ics too.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Edgarhighman

Dec 2, 2011
Can you navigate the phone with TV remote? Do you have to do something special to make it work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA

jiannichan

Aug 17, 2009
DFW
I'm using the one from the Samsung Infuse and it works perfectly. I don't know about this TV remote thing since I have a BT ps3 media kb I use.

Excuse my typos, sent from my SGS2 using Tapatalk.

weedolo9y

Dec 7, 2010
Wisconsin
I bought a mhl to hdmi cable I'm new to this I plugged it into my phone and hdmi but got nothing then I also hooked up USB power to it when I did that it showed a input for it on my TV but still no video does this not work with ics?

Nizda1

Nov 12, 2011
It works with ics. Try this, plug hdmi cable from tv to adapter plug power cable from wall adapter charger to adapter. Then plug into phone. Also what kind of mhl adapter do you have? I personally went through a few and ended up with getting the samsung one for me it works the best. Others had flaky power adapters or reports of doa. Anyway try again like that if it doesn't work try changing hdmi cables I've seen people have that as their cause as well. Also I can tell you that mhl and blue tooth and wireless work awesome on ics better than gb. I can even use it with a ps3 controller etc..

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
I don't think it works on AOKP or CM9, without installing an extra app. I've been using it on SHOstock 2 just fine. I think the TW ROMs have the support built in. I know 2.3 MIUI does not support MHL.

It only needs the power adapter if your TV does not support MHL. If your TV is MHL compliant it will send power over the HDMI port and charge your phone. The standard is still new, almost no TVs support it yet. You can still mirror the screen over HDMI with a MHL adapter, but you have to power the adapter. MHL compliant TVs should be able to control the phone through the TV, but because those TVs are as common as unicorns I haven't tested it. With a non MHL compliant TV all it does is accept the input from your phone. You must still navigate on your phone. But, you can use a Bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse to control your phone wirelessly.

I got the cheapest MHL adapter on eBay that shipped free from inside the US. I think I paid ~$7. Its worked fine for me over the past 6 months.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)

SaXaPhIDeSoUl

May 2, 2012
www.saxaphidesoul.com
Im running ICS 4.0.3 SHOstock2 v2.2.4 with 3.0.30-cherrypicker kernel on my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II i777. I purchased a MENOTEK MHL to HDMI adapter and Im trying to use it with my RCA Plasma TV. I connect the adapter to the HDMI cable then the power cable to the Adapter, and then I connect the adapter to my phone. The tv recognizes that I have the HDMI cable plugged in then the screen goes black. While I have the adapter plugged into the phone, the phone works fine, only there isn't anything being displayed on the screen. I try to launch several video apps, still nothing. The weirdest thing is when I unplug the adapter from my phone, it causes the phone to freeze and I have to pull the battery to restart. Is anyone else having a simular problem and may know of a fix. Ive done a few searches but havent been able to find anything. I appreciate any help that I can get. :D

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
I would ask in the SHOstock thread. It worked fine for me, but I switched to AOKP. The last SHOstock I tried MHL was 2.2 I think. I would guess its a kernel thing. Maybe try another kernel?

Reactions: SaXaPhIDeSoUl

SaXaPhIDeSoUl

May 2, 2012
www.saxaphidesoul.com
Thanx! I will definitely look into a different kernal. The only problem with asking on the SHOstock thread is my account is new. I don't have enough posts to comment on that thread.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA

Nizda1

Nov 12, 2011
it should work with shostock I've been using it with phone bricker works good. The only roms that won't work at least as of now is aosp aokp roms cause our bases are derived from Samsung bases international or otherwise which contain it. A long time ago entropy told me something along the lines of the mhl code being proprietary closed source which is why cm9 etc doesn't have it. But with ics and the huge user base if anyone is talented enough to get that working they will.

Nizda1

Nov 12, 2011
Also for the TV remote in the other post is correct at least what I'm pretty sure your talking about. Cause a friend of mine just got one of those new voice/gesture etc Sammy TVs and they have mhl,dlna etc. Honestly at that point you aren't concerned with a phone remote when you can just use gestures and voice:)

SaXaPhIDeSoUl

May 2, 2012
www.saxaphidesoul.com
it should work with shostock I've been using it with phone bricker works good. The only roms that won't work at least as of now is aosp aokp roms cause our bases are derived from Samsung bases international or otherwise which contain it. A long time ago entropy told me something along the lines of the mhl code being proprietary closed source which is why cm9 etc doesn't have it. But with ics and the huge user base if anyone is talented enough to get that working they will.

I updated to the most recent update ShoStock 2.2.6 but I still seem to have the same problem. The television screen is blue before I Connect the phone. Once the phone is connected the screen goes black but doesnt mirror the phone screen. When I unplug the phone from the adapter it become unresponsive and I have to reboot. I starting to think the adapter may be DOA :eek:

mipakr

Sep 20, 2010
I updated to the most recent update ShoStock 2.2.6 but I still seem to have the same problem. The television screen is blue before I Connect the phone. Once the phone is connected the screen goes black but doesnt mirror the phone screen. When I unplug the phone from the adapter it become unresponsive and I have to reboot. I starting to think the adapter may be DOA :eek:

I'm with you in the ShoStock MHL woes. Some say it works, it hasn't been working for me. The adapter is not DOA if the screen is going black and changing on the TV. My TV (Samsung) recognizes there is an MHL device connected with AnyNet+ but the screen goes black as well. The adapter worked on GB Roms, Unnamed/Unoriginal to be exact. Will try out PhoneBricker.

Skv012a

Jun 19, 2008
MD
Sony Xperia 5 IV

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would ask in the SHOstock thread. It worked fine for me, but I switched to AOKP. The last SHOstock I tried MHL was 2.2 I think. I would guess its a kernel thing. Maybe try another kernel?