Art vs Dalvik?

Search This thread

luiseteyo

Oct 24, 2011
Madrid
It's not risky, but you will have an eternal boot after rebooting, and the effect, nowadays is 0. Wait till future android releases, when ART will be improved.

Reactions: ABD EL HAMEED

TEW999

Sep 11, 2012
Chesterfield
ART

It's not risky, but you will have an eternal boot after rebooting, and the effect, nowadays is 0. Wait till future android releases, when ART will be improved.

I have a nexus 7 2013 and tried an alpja of android 4.4. Experimented with the ART option and my device did boot. Just had an awful lot of force closes. But the performanve difgerence on working apps is very impressive. I ran quadrant and my cpu score doubled

luiseteyo

Oct 24, 2011
Madrid
I have a nexus 7 2013 and tried an alpja of android 4.4. Experimented with the ART option and my device did boot. Just had an awful lot of force closes. But the performanve difgerence on working apps is very impressive. I ran quadrant and my cpu score doubled

I don't know. I didn't experience a thing in my n4. I didn't do a benchmark but I am sure it didn't improve.. And yes, whatsapp fc

TEW999

Sep 11, 2012
Chesterfield
Next time i have a tinker with aosp 4.4 ill post a screenshot of dalvik vs art. See what people think. Hopefully ART will reolave dalvik completely in the next version of android

jadephyre

Jan 30, 2008
Moers
Samsung Galaxy A33
At the moment I personally would not use ART over Dalvik, simply because even Google does not consider it ready for primetime yet.
I know, that normally doesn't mean much given the amount of tinkering we are doing with out phones, but on something this integral to the OS, I would wait until the original developers consider it stable, and once the app devs can have a crack at it.

sgtkwol

Sep 2, 2010
Buffalo, NY
For those who have tested, is it normal to have to build the cache/optimizing 60+ apps on each reboot? I'm assuming it's the Gapps that is being affected? Any work around discovered, so far?

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
For those who have tested, is it normal to have to build the cache/optimizing 60+ apps on each reboot? I'm assuming it's the Gapps that is being affected? Any work around discovered, so far?

normal with ART. itll do that every reboot when using ART. no work around, its supposed to do that. besides youre lucky, i get 120 apps rebuilding their dalvik on every boot.

Reactions: sgtkwol

sgtkwol

Sep 2, 2010
Buffalo, NY
normal with ART. itll do that every reboot when using ART. no work around, its supposed to do that. besides youre lucky, i get 120 apps rebuilding their dalvik on every boot.

Guess I'll wait for better stability (using a Gnex, but Google search for Dalvik vs ART brought me here) before I throw the switch. I don't mind random reboots for bleeding edge, but if they take 5 minutes, it sucks.

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Guess I'll wait for better stability (using a Gnex, but Google search for Dalvik vs ART brought me here) before I throw the switch. I don't mind random reboots for bleeding edge, but if they take 5 minutes, it sucks.

i use a custom 4.3 kernel too.. so whatll hapoen is itll get to like app 80 then freeze. ill force reboot it and itll start over. sometimes itll take an hour before it actually finishes, lol. honestly, for now, dalvik is the better of the two. oh, and i miss my gnex, it got stolen 2 months ago :(

Wolfy666

Sep 8, 2010

Guys, my N5 rebuilt the apps the first time I rebooted after activating ART. Since then, I have rebooted a couple of times and the apps have not rebuilt and the runtime is still ART.
Not sure why the behavior is different from phone to phone and it makes me wonder whether I should switch back to Dalvik.
Has anyone experienced any issue after reverting from ART to Dalvik?

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Guys, my N5 rebuilt the apps the first time I rebooted after activating ART. Since then, I have rebooted a couple of times and the apps have not rebuilt and the runtime is still ART.
Not sure why the behavior is different from phone to phone and it makes me wonder whether I should switch back to Dalvik.
Has anyone experienced any issue after reverting from ART to Dalvik?

no. i go back and forth frequently, no issues. from what i hear from n5 users, its the same, its not getting rebuilt every boot. but, these are n4's :)

steadly2004

Sep 6, 2011

Gnome's odexed version fixed this issue, only rebuild cache on first enable of ART. Not every reboot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Gnome's odexed version fixed this issue, only rebuild cache on first enable of ART. Not every reboot.

There's also an updated pagapps that works for ART and divlak

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

There's also an update pagapps that works with dalvik and ART.

May 18, 2011
Hi!
I upgraded to Android 4.4 KitKat on my Nexus 4 from here:
developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occam
deleted file in flash-all.bat option "-w" to save my apps and settings. A few hours later I decided to try switch to ART. But I got a bootloop. Can I via fastboot mode go back to dalvik?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You might be interested in a video I just put together.
    What is Art? Is it risky to change to art in developer options?

Sent from my AOSP on Mako using XDA Premium 4 mobile app