Flashing different custom roms

Search This thread

Ellcnlael

Aug 19, 2014
I am waiting on a note 2 to arrive in the mail. It's rooted on stock 4.1.2. I have a few questions before I start tinkering with it when it gets here. I really would like to keep all of the spen features, so I have determined it's best to stay with a TW based ROM. If I flash a 4.3 tw ROM and don't like it or find it unstable, is it possible to flash back to a stock 4.1.2? From what I've read it is.

The only thing I don't want to do is an ota 4.4 update correct? This would unroot and lock boatloader?

Is there a certain rom anyone would suggest a noob to start with?

Sent from my XT1030 using XDA Free mobile app

netma2k

Dec 1, 2012
I am waiting on a note 2 to arrive in the mail. It's rooted on stock 4.1.2. I have a few questions before I start tinkering with it when it gets here. I really would like to keep all of the spen features, so I have determined it's best to stay with a TW based ROM. If I flash a 4.3 tw ROM and don't like it or find it unstable, is it possible to flash back to a stock 4.1.2? From what I've read it is.

The only thing I don't want to do is an ota 4.4 update correct? This would unroot and lock boatloader?

Make sure your phone is unlocked as well before you attempt any custom ROMs. To unlock search for link to Adam Outler's CASUAL on this forum. In my experience 4.3 ROMS are pretty stable. If you want to keep looted and unlocked, do not ever take ota from the vendor.

BluGuy

Jun 22, 2011
Enterprise

Taking an ota of anything above 4.1.2 will lock the bootloader for good right now. Flashing roms through custom recovery such as twrp or cwm of 4.3 and 4.4 is fine. Also, if you need to Odin back to stock for whatever reason only use the stock image for 4.1.2.

Oh and never update the bootloader.

Ellcnlael

Aug 19, 2014
Awesome, it just come in the mail. It's in great shape, and I have verified that it is rooted and running 4.1.2. During my setup, it keeps wanting to download the ota from Verizon. I force stopped it and was able to catch it before it downloaded.

Is there a way to keep Verizon from pushing uupdates or it being downloaded in the background?

EDIT: ok maybe I figured this out. I followed the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2112221&page=4
I installed titanium backup, backedup sdm1.0, then uninstalled it. Is this what the majority is doing to safeguard against a forced update?

Last edited:

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
Awesome, it just come in the mail. It's in great shape, and I have verified that it is rooted and running 4.1.2. During my setup, it keeps wanting to download the ota from Verizon. I force stopped it and was able to catch it before it downloaded.

Is there a way to keep Verizon from pushing uupdates or it being downloaded in the background?

EDIT: ok maybe I figured this out. I followed the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2112221&page=4
I installed titanium backup, backedup sdm1.0, then uninstalled it. Is this what the majority is doing to safeguard against a forced update?

Yes. Either that or flash a custom rom when you get unlocked , most of them have it disabled

[[[[>>> XDA <<<]]]]