Search This thread

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
https://dl.twrp.me/cheryl

Razer Phone Install Instructions

Read these instructions and follow them carefully. Failure to do so may result in not being able to update the device in the future and there are no factory images available.

The Razer Phone uses the newer AB partition scheme first introduced on the Pixel 1. As such there is no recovery partition. Instead, the recovery is part of the boot image. Unlike the Pixel devices, Razer has disabled fastboot boot so there is no way to temporarily boot TWRP to perform an installation.

Getting into fastboot mode or recovery on the Razer Phone requires plugging the device into a USB cable. I would recommend against flashing or performing recovery-related actions unless you have access to a USB cable and port so that you can get back into recovery should something go wrong. Power off the device. Hold volume up to get into recovery or volume down to get into fastboot mode. Plug the device in while holding the appropriate button and the device should boot to the mode you selected. If it boots up to the charging screen, try a different USB cable or port. Make sure you are able to boot the device to fastboot via USB cable before flashing anything.

We are going to use the other boot slot to flash the initial copy of TWRP and boot TWRP. To do this you will need to turn on developer options and enable USB debugging. You will also need to enable OEM unlocking and unlock the bootloader. I am not going to discuss how to get the proper drivers installed or assist you with doing these basic steps. There's tons of guides elsewhere for these items if you need it. I will say that unlocking the bootloader requires using fastboot flashing unlock instead of fastboot oem unlock. Once you have adb working, run this command:
adb shell getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix

It should say:
[ro.boot.slot_suffix]: [_a]
Or:
[ro.boot.slot_suffix]: [_b]

Make note of whether you are currently using slot A or B. Next power off the device and boot to the bootloader using your USB cable and volume down. You want to switch to the other boot slot. If you are currently on slot A, type this:
fastboot --set-active=_b
Or on slot B type this:
fastboot --set-active=_a

You should see something like this:
Setting current slot to 'a'...
OKAY [ 0.042s]
finished. total time: 0.042s

I found the bootloader on the Razer Phone to be extremely finicky and I had to run the command multiple times until I got it to run successfully. You may have to hold the power button for 15 seconds to force power off the device and then re-enter fastboot mode. Keep trying until it works. Once it's on the right boot slot, type this:
fastboot flash boot twrp-3.2.1-0-cheryl.img && fastboot reboot

Your device should now boot into TWRP. From here, decrypt your device if needed at the password prompt. DO NOT swipe to allow modifications until after you make your initial backup; instead tap on the read-only button. Go to the reboot page and tap on the button at the bottom to switch back to the slot you were originally using. Go to the backup page in TWRP and back up Boot and System Image. It is HIGHLY recommended that you save this backup in a safe spot on your computer because you may need to restore it to take official OTA updates from Razer. Once you have finished making your backup, run this command:
adb push twrp-installer-3.2.1-0-cheryl.zip /sdcard

In TWRP, tap on Install and browse to the zip and install it. TWRP will now be installed to both slots. TWRP is now installed and you can reboot and use your device as normal, though with TWRP installed, you won't be able to take OTA updates without restoring the stock boot image.

MTP is disabled because it causes a kernel panic sometimes with the stock kernel. ADB also does not work with the stock kernel which makes transferring files between your PC and the device when using the stock kernel a bit of a challenge. The TWRP bootable image does have working ADB though and you can copy files to a SD card or USB stick if needed.

mikeandjaimie

Aug 5, 2010
Kingston
Awesome! Now we just need to let the dev fun begin! BTW You Rox!

Edit: Im trying to do a full backup of the current state of my phone. went into TWRP and selected every partition and hit backup. Was flying along till it got to Data and it just stopped. No movement @ 40% for about 5 minutes so far :( Is it working for anyone else? does it just take insanely long with no percentage increase, or am I just being paranoid cause its my new phone lol

Edit 2: I just cancelled it and backed up everything but Data and it went fine, I'm now attempting to backup JUST Data.. Ill have to restore 2 backups seperately, but it appears to be working

Final Edit: All good.. not sure what happened the first backup but doing them seperately worked. Rooted with Magisk 15.1 and running beautifully! Gonna try out some root stuff like Xposed.. Thanks for all your hard work devs & testers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Xshooter726

raimondomartire

Nov 9, 2005
Salerno
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
@Dees_Troy Thanks for your work. Broken link https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_razer_cheryl
Please update when you have time
Another thing in your instruction consider that on european razer phone the right command is this (I've found problem only for slot b in slot a work without -i 0x1532)
ffastboot -i 0x1532 flashing unlock
DN0b5I1.png

Last edited:

RicardoSal24

Feb 28, 2016
i get the no devices/ emulators found

EDIT: I didn't realize you had to do that part with the phone on. so when I boot in to bootloader i have slot b and type the command to switch to a. all I see is waiting for devices. thats when I redo it until it writes correct?

Last edited:

raimondomartire

Nov 9, 2005
Salerno
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
i get the no devices/ emulators found

EDIT: I didn't realize you had to do that part with the phone on. so when I boot in to bootloader i have slot b and type the command to switch to a. all I see is waiting for devices. thats when I redo it until it writes correct?

I've Uses this command to open bootloader?
fastboot -i 0x1532 flashing unlock

If yes command for your device work add -i 0x1532
DN0b5I1.png

Last edited:

RicardoSal24

Feb 28, 2016
not able to update the driver manually

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

apparently there's no "compatible" driver software for a x64 bit system

DarkestSpawn

Aug 16, 2010
I remember seeing something about no Wi-Fi in the other thread from the chat about source code. Is that still an issue? I ask because I completed this and have no Wi-Fi. Just double checking I didn't miss something

Firebuster

Dec 18, 2016
OnePlus 2
Sony Xperia 1 III
I have a bit of an issue. TWRP has been flashed to both A and B because it didn't reboot to TWRP the first time so i did it again and now i can't boot into system. Stupid mistake i know but what can i do about it?

raimondomartire

Nov 9, 2005
Salerno
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Try switching slots in Twrp then restart.

No problem also for me. I can share my slot b image

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

I have a bit of an issue. TWRP has been flashed to both A and B because it didn't reboot to TWRP the first time so i did it again and now i can't boot into system. Stupid mistake i know but what can i do about it?

Try to boot in bootloader mode from twrp and after write fastboot reboot

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://dl.twrp.me/cheryl

Razer Phone Install Instructions

Read these instructions and follow them carefully. Failure to do so may result in not being able to update the device in the future and there are no factory images available.

The Razer Phone uses the newer AB partition scheme first introduced on the Pixel 1. As such there is no recovery partition. Instead, the recovery is part of the boot image. Unlike the Pixel devices, Razer has disabled fastboot boot so there is no way to temporarily boot TWRP to perform an installation.

Getting into fastboot mode or recovery on the Razer Phone requires plugging the device into a USB cable. I would recommend against flashing or performing recovery-related actions unless you have access to a USB cable and port so that you can get back into recovery should something go wrong. Power off the device. Hold volume up to get into recovery or volume down to get into fastboot mode. Plug the device in while holding the appropriate button and the device should boot to the mode you selected. If it boots up to the charging screen, try a different USB cable or port. Make sure you are able to boot the device to fastboot via USB cable before flashing anything.

We are going to use the other boot slot to flash the initial copy of TWRP and boot TWRP. To do this you will need to turn on developer options and enable USB debugging. You will also need to enable OEM unlocking and unlock the bootloader. I am not going to discuss how to get the proper drivers installed or assist you with doing these basic steps. There's tons of guides elsewhere for these items if you need it. I will say that unlocking the bootloader requires using fastboot flashing unlock instead of fastboot oem unlock. Once you have adb working, run this command:
    adb shell getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix

It should say:
    [ro.boot.slot_suffix]: [_a]
    Or:
    [ro.boot.slot_suffix]: [_b]

Make note of whether you are currently using slot A or B. Next power off the device and boot to the bootloader using your USB cable and volume down. You want to switch to the other boot slot. If you are currently on slot A, type this:
    fastboot --set-active=_b
    Or on slot B type this:
    fastboot --set-active=_a

You should see something like this:
    Setting current slot to 'a'...
    OKAY [ 0.042s]
    finished. total time: 0.042s

I found the bootloader on the Razer Phone to be extremely finicky and I had to run the command multiple times until I got it to run successfully. You may have to hold the power button for 15 seconds to force power off the device and then re-enter fastboot mode. Keep trying until it works. Once it's on the right boot slot, type this:
    fastboot flash boot twrp-3.2.1-0-cheryl.img && fastboot reboot

Your device should now boot into TWRP. From here, decrypt your device if needed at the password prompt. DO NOT swipe to allow modifications until after you make your initial backup; instead tap on the read-only button. Go to the reboot page and tap on the button at the bottom to switch back to the slot you were originally using. Go to the backup page in TWRP and back up Boot and System Image. It is HIGHLY recommended that you save this backup in a safe spot on your computer because you may need to restore it to take official OTA updates from Razer. Once you have finished making your backup, run this command:
    adb push twrp-installer-3.2.1-0-cheryl.zip /sdcard

In TWRP, tap on Install and browse to the zip and install it. TWRP will now be installed to both slots. TWRP is now installed and you can reboot and use your device as normal, though with TWRP installed, you won't be able to take OTA updates without restoring the stock boot image.

MTP is disabled because it causes a kernel panic sometimes with the stock kernel. ADB also does not work with the stock kernel which makes transferring files between your PC and the device when using the stock kernel a bit of a challenge. The TWRP bootable image does have working ADB though and you can copy files to a SD card or USB stick if needed.
    Thanks for stating the obvious. Are you on these threads to help or hinder those who make mistakes. I see you started out helping but that has slowly adapted to making people feel smaller then they already do given they f'd up. Please if your not on these threads to help leave your two cents to yourself. Xda is for development and helping each other out when we do get stuck not for putting others down who make mistakes.

Razer has had 2 months to realase factory images which should have been out a month ago. No sense in defending them just because you have the phone....any other company would have had those out by now. Not impressed by razers lack of communication and follow through on there end. Anyways good day and try and keep the peace good sir.

I help people all the time, but when people skip following instructions then mess things up and want people to do it all for them, then I see no point. As I said.. Most of this stuff can be answered with a google search or basic troubleshooting, asking the same things as everyone around you after they been already been answered doesn't do anyone any good, or find results.

As you said, these are developers forums.. Advanced stuff, designed for people who have some experience with windiws/rooting/roms/etc. If you are a beginner then you shouldn't be jumping into unproven territory without reading everything you can before you ask questions or actually do it. We are a community of helpers and have been for years, but in an advanced forum we shouldn't be explaining basic how-to's or answering basic questions repeatedly.

Person I replied to was blaming razer for his issues because he doesn't have factory images to fix something he probably shouldn't have done to begin with. It seemed the obvious needed to be stated.

I will continue to help people who have exhausted there knowledge or answer questions that haven't been already asked and answered, as I always have, but when it becomes obvious they want to have there hand held through it all, I will stop, as I always have.

Razer did drop the ball software wise at launch as I said, but fixing what is broken first is more important than publishing factory images for subpar software.

I'm sorry you and a few others are stuck in the situation you are right now, but that's kind of the price we pay by doing this right? I bricked more than one device in the old days where you couldn't just flash back to stock so I've been there, but it's a gamble I chose to take, as did each of you.
    Could you please take a backup with TWRP and post the backup. I soft bricked my device and the one posted in the forum is for the US phone. I'm stuck with my old burner :eek:

Yo..... https://mega.nz/#!mcAH3KZS!emZ82fzJf1UqLCHeeAu9ojWDuRMUuPZWxCxQm0PDIjk :good:
    Restore the boot in twrp but your gonna have to magisk it, its the first backup I took as per the instructions.... Careful this time too ;)

To anyone else, this is three carrier version boot.
    No problem :cool:

Do you have plans of getting this device? I think an audiophile like your self would really appreciate the speakers and included THX DAC of this device.

I also am curious of your desire and intelligence to help make the Razer the best sounding smartphone on the market. Do you have plans for a particular guitaredhero viper build which incorporates Dolby? If so I will gladly test for you just let me know. I truly appreciate all you do for the Android audio community and have been following your work for years!

Having the fortune of the community's generosity, I was provided a OnePlus 5 last summer so there are no current plans for updating my current device.

However, I will be keenly following Razer's development of their next mobile device which is certainly at the top of my list of device upgrade contenders in 2018.

Still, you never know what tomorrow brings, so the possibility of procuring Razer's first mobile attempt is always there.

As for my plans, I just recently unveiled my pre-Oreo intentions to the rest of the team so I will do so publicly since Oreo's release has presently incapacitated those intentions anyway lol.

The next project was/is a return to ViPER|Atmos™, to come full circle and reenergize my very first project with everything gained during the ARISE™ project.

Many of you are aware of the incompatibility Dolby Atmos™ faces with Android Oreo, which is the reason Magnum Opus is still the current system.

I purposely waited for Oreo to be available for personal testing before releasing anything, which was absolutely the appropriate decision as compatibility would have been short-lived and quickly replaced with mass frustration lol.

And no, clairvoyance played no role here.

Even with almost all Android versions providing the same and familiar audio framework, I assume to know nothing of what's to come until it arrives. Such a change in 8.0's audio framework has never occurred previously, and 8.1 continues that shift even further.

But this is nothing unusual and will be accommodated with legacy, present, and future software solutions and developments.

One thing I learned early in my participation here at XDA is this:

Times such as these are when many talents and faces appear for the first time to make significant progress and impact on the development of fresh Android firmware/software, so do not be surprised if a "Junior Member" becomes the "hero" lol.

Of course, I am not stepping aside to wait for a "Junior Member" or "Senior Recognized Developer" to resolve issues relevant to my activities, I'm just making a point.

I am working on content compatibility and functionality on a daily basis with never a day free of any "probing" (lol).

We'll get there very soon, there is no doubt in my mind, and there is no urgency nor requirement for the "hero" to be myself either. Placing the final puzzle-piece is certainly rewarding, but I genuinely enjoy witnessing others, especially "noobs", making impacts easily associated with veteran talent and experience. :good: