HTC one si 2gb ram DDR3 not DDR2

Search This thread

-]Megacharge[-

Nov 16, 2010
Montreal
Games and screen display are all handled by the GPU and there's a dedicated shared memory alotted for the GPU alone so they're really different

Dedicated and shared memory are not the same, there is dedicated memory, and shared memory, which one is it? If it's shared from the lpddr2 RAM it still comes down to the point that it will perform not as well as lpddr3, so the point would still stand. The higher bandwidth of the lpddr3 would improve how the GPU handles games at that higher resolution, if it's sharing system RAM.

Last edited:

Turbotab

May 2, 2011
Dissappointment? Wow! On the past I never really heard techies bash computers when the DDR3 RAM was announced. Currently I am using a 4GB DDR2 RAM on a windows 7 ultimate on my PC and I could run Crysis 3 on my PC without any hiccups or lags.

Looks like most of the people on the web nowadays are always looking at the numbers. Where bigger is better. They never even consider that all the current softwares available for android couldn't even peak the max bandwidth of the DDR1 except the benchmarks.

Does even 50% of the users here complaining about the DDR2 and DDR3 stuff know what they are suppose to be and what they are and how they can contribute to the performance of a system without searching it's definition on the likes of google search?

As you're running Crysis 3, I take it your using a discreet graphics card?, if so, your 4GB system RAM has nothing to do with your GPU and ability to display games fluidly, as it has its own separate and in most cases far higher bandwidth GDDR3/5 memory.

Mid-range GPUs have in excess of 150 GB/s bandwidth, whereas the lowly smartphone that is now expected to power 1080P displays currently max out at 12.8 GB/s, when it comes to graphics bandwidth is one of the most overlooked but important aspects, so I wouldn't go shooting your mouth off without knowing what you're talking about.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Dedicated and shared memory are not the same, there is dedicated memory, and shared memory, which one is it? If it's shared from the lpddr2 RAM it still comes down to the point that it will perform not as well as lpddr3, so the point would still stand. The higher bandwidth of the lpddr3 would improve how the GPU handles games at that higher resolution, if it's sharing system RAM.

Hmm I think you got the idea there by what I mean by dedicated and shared memory. And yes they are still ddr2

But issue is DDR3 maybe has higher bandwidth but if it has a logical share on it's own then it won't be needed since GPU alone couldn't peak a bandwidth of 800mhz.

And a bigger reason why it's better is DDR3 suffers low CAS latency compared to DDR2. Considering android is running on a VM where memory utilization is important.

And oh... Frequency / Cas Latency = Actual Bandwidth.

Last edited:

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
Games and screen display are all handled by the GPU and there's a dedicated shared memory alotted for the GPU alone so they're really different

And BTW like I said I also have a DDR2 RAM and can play crysis 3 on it on high settings. And if you are worried about the 1080p display then here's my PC's display for you to compare. that's almost 1080p

:eek:

----

On top of which GPUs on desktops have higher bandwidth... hence why PCs aren't starved for the most part.

HECK - I play Crysis 3 max on my LAPTOP (1920X1080) :/ (The game isn't even that impressive).

EDIT:

We are talking about LPDDR2, not DDR2.

Last edited:

Turbotab

May 2, 2011
Hmm I think you got the idea there by what I mean by dedicated and shared memory. And yes they are still ddr2

But issue is DDR3 maybe has higher bandwidth but if it has a logical share on it's own then it won't be needed since GPU alone couldn't peak a bandwidth of 800mhz.

And a bigger reason why it's better is DDR3 suffers low CAS latency compared to DDR2. Considering android is running on a VM where memory utilization is important.

And oh... Frequency / Cas Latency = Actual Bandwidth.

DDR3 actually has higher CAS latency than DDR2 , but because it runs faster the actual interval latency is slightly lowers in ns

And oh... Frequency / Cas Latency = Actual Bandwidth That is wrong on so many levels!

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
LP on the DDR stands for low power so doesn't really affect performance.

Whoops... thanked u by accident...

EIther way, from Wiki (for convience):

Samsung expects the LPDDR3 will debut in 2013, running at 800 MHz DDR (1600 MT/s), offering bandwidth comparable to PC3-12800 notebook memory in 2011 (12.8 GB/s of bandwidth).[

Im too lazy to find actual bandwidth of LPDDR2 ram, but if LPDDR3 is expected to run at 12.8gb/s, and DDR2 runs at 20 If I'm not mistaken... You should realize there is a huge difference in bandwidth.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Anyways my point here is having DDR2 and DDR3 is not something to be worried here on this phone. There's other things we need to criticize here like camera, storage space, battery and likely quality of the phone body and signal if you base it to iphone 5.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

DDR3 actually has higher CAS latency than DDR2 , but because it runs faster the actual interval latency is slightly lowers in ns

And oh... Frequency / Cas Latency = Actual Bandwidth That is wrong on so many levels!

Higher latency is always bad compared to lower latency.

Turbotab

May 2, 2011
Whoops... thanked u by accident...

EIther way, from Wiki (for convience):

Im too lazy to find actual bandwidth of LPDDR2 ram, but if LPDDR3 is expected to run at 12.8gb/s, and DDR2 runs at 20 If I'm not mistaken... You should realize there is a huge difference in bandwidth.

LPDDR2 at its highest speed (533 MHz) in dual channel config provides 8.5 GB/s bandwidth. Nexus 7 only had 5~ GB/s bandwidth with its Tegra 3, and was bandwidth starved. Another import part of providing the GPU in our mobile SoC with enough bandwidth, is to ensure smooth UI for high resolution displays, Apple even went as far as putting quad channel LPDDR2 on the iPad 4, to ensure they could power their 'retina' display property.

Reactions: Maedhros

-]Megacharge[-

Nov 16, 2010
Montreal
Anyways my point here is having DDR2 and DDR3 is not something to be worried here on this phone. There's other things we need to criticize here like camera, storage space, battery and likely quality of the phone body and signal if you base it to iphone 5.

My point is, the GPU is sharing system RAM, and the possibility that this is only using the ddr2 variant while going all out on so many things like screen, build quality, and in general this being a flagship phone, it is dumb for HTC to ignore that the higher memory bandwidth of the ddr3 variant will in fact improve how the GPU handles games at 1080p. Being enthusiastic about it like I am and so many others are and will be, it just seems like a really dumb thing to do if it turns out to be true. Really makes this phone feel like it's missing something to me, like seeing a super model, then finding out she has a clubbed foot..

onlinejobwork

Aug 31, 2008
LONDON
OnePlus 8T
Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

When HTC clearly mention they never wrong; to confirm one of our xda member send an email to HTC and they clearly mention that given information on their website is correct and suggest not to look other source of information regarding specification HTC CONFIRMED 2GB DDR2

NiCk.JaY

Nov 23, 2012
Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

When HTC clearly mention they never wrong; to confirm one of our xda member send an email to HTC and they clearly mention that given information on their website is correct and suggest not to look other source of information regarding specification HTC CONFIRMED 2GB DDR2

First of all, there could be a typo on their website. And second, their customer service does nothing but pick content from website only. So there is a good CHANCE that it's DDR3

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Even samsung has typo errors with regards to specs. I remember the time when the samsung galaxy relay 4g was announced it was announced as an s3 qualcomm. And in the end it was a qualcomm s4 processor all along.

irzero

Aug 2, 2012
DDR2 doesnt have any real disadvantage to DDR3. The CPU would need to be seriously bandwidth starved to make a difference. But if that Ram also provides the memory for the GPU then thats where its going to hurt performance since GPU's are generally bandwidth hungry.

It seems an odd choice to go for slower memory than the SOC asks for.

Reactions: VanillaCracker

djbenny1

Apr 9, 2011
Yea as far as customer support goes, you could probably have asked your magic 8 ball and got an equally reliable answer.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria
AW: HTC one si 2gb ram DDR3 not DDR2

Should I ask my contact @ htc if it is a ddr3 or a ddr2? He has a htc one in his hands

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Should I ask my contact @ htc if it is a ddr3 or a ddr2? He has a htc one in his hands

Well yes but even if he has it in his hands he can't tell, it's not written anywhere

But u can ask him to run a GLBenchmark 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p) test, on a full battery, no power saving and a clean run (just this test standalone) :D

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria

Well yes but even if he has it in his hands he can't tell, it's not written anywhere

But u can ask him to run a GLBenchmark 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p) test, on a full battery, no power saving and a clean run (just this test standalone) :D

Well he is the one who is responsible for pr stuff for htc Germany. I get my HTC One from him later.

I can ask him to do a benchmark, not sure if he will do that.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Asked for the clarification of ddr2 or ddr3 and asked for the benchmark result when you run it without any influence of previous benchmarks.

mitas35

Aug 2, 2011
Paphos
OnePlus 8T
Well he is the one who is responsible for pr stuff for htc Germany. I get my HTC One from him later.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Asked for the clarification of ddr2 or ddr3 and asked for the benchmark result when you run it without any influence of previous benchmarks.

So when we will have the resoulds? Thanks:fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Of course not, but if you have been using an HTC device since their WM days, you just cannot help but be frustrated.

If you find me a single HTC device that didn't have 1 flaw I will be amazed. When I say flaw, I don't mean crappier screen, or crap speaker quality. I mean:

1. No LED flash (when previous model had it)
    2. No LED indicator (when previous model had it)
    3. 512 MB less ram then competition (or 1gb less in the case of the One X)

I could go on and on... none of these have been deal breaking, but they are not so insignificant that we can easily ignore it. After all these generations of devices, I cannot help but agree with some people who say that HTC does this on purpose.

Funny thing is... I have made this complaint on the forum for every device they have released since the DHD. They were notorious for this during the WM days, then they improved. But as soon as the Sensation came out... it was another lackluster device.

Then the One X with 1 GB of ram?!?

Now the HTC One with DDR2 instead of DD3.

I'll reiterate: This isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, but it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially because I know HTC is better then this.
    isnt the point of this thread that MAYBE the phone uses ddr3 and not ddr2 as HTC have said?

because the chip only comes with ddr3?
    i send a email for htc asking which its corret ddr2 or ddr3

So when we will have the resoulds? Thanks:fingers-crossed:

Whenever I get a response. Usually within the next 2 days if he does it.

Yea as far as customer support goes, you could probably have asked your magic 8 ball and got an equally reliable answer.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2