Default Phone Dialer

Search This thread

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
Would someone with the US version look at the version number of the default phone app and tell me what it is. For some odd reason I don't have it on my phone so I installed version 3.0.20.25 from apkmirror and I just want to check if that's the latest version. I said US version because I don't know if the version numbers change according to country. I only discovered this when I was trying to test the sensors and the access codes wouldn't work with the Google dialer. I also don't have a clue as to why it wasn't installed on my phone.
Thanks

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
The dialer app is actually called "Contacts"

That's what I figured but there was no option in my contacts app to access the dialer. If I didn't dial a contact, there was no other option...weird. I was trying to avoid a reset just for that so that's why I went to apkmirror. I'm pretty sure contacts had the dial option when I got the phone and I did install the Google dialer because I like it more but I can't see why that would affect the Contacts dialer. BTW, I did uninstall the Google dialer to check if that was disabling it somehow.

EDIT: What version of Contacts do you have? This is turning into one big mystery that has me puzzled.

Last edited:

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
That's what I figured but there was no option in my contacts app to access the dialer. If I didn't dial a contact, there was no other option...weird. I was trying to avoid a reset just for that so that's why I went to apkmirror. I'm pretty sure contacts had the dial option when I got the phone and I did install the Google dialer because I like it more but I can't see why that would affect the Contacts dialer. BTW, I did uninstall the Google dialer to check if that was disabling it somehow.

EDIT: What version of Contacts do you have? This is turning into one big mystery that has me puzzled.

Mine is 3.8.20.11

The dialer part is just a small hovering circle icon with the number pad image on it at the lower right side of each part of the contacts app

You just press that and the dialler slides up, there is no actual dedicated tab for it

My guess is that the contacts app was no longer set as default for dialler because of the Google one

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
Mine is 3.8.20.11

The dialer part is just a small hovering circle icon with the number pad image on it at the lower right side of each part of the contacts app

You just press that and the dialler slides up, there is no actual dedicated tab for it

My guess is that the contacts app was no longer set as default for dialler because of the Google one

All I have is the plus for adding a contact. It is still the default phone app also. I guess for now I'll leave the Samsung phone app installed and use that. Thanks

EDIT: My version of contacts is 3.8.01.20 and that has to be what came on my phone. I tried to install the version you have but it wouldn't install over the system version I already have.

Last edited:

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
All I have is the plus for adding a contact. It is still the default phone app also. I guess for now I'll leave the Samsung phone app installed and use that. Thanks

EDIT: My version of contacts is 3.8.01.20 and that has to be what came on my phone. I tried to install the version you have but it wouldn't install over the system version I already have.

Yea since Oreo you can no longer manually update system apps

There are 3 "phone" apps too if you enable "Show system apps" in Settings > Apps, one is the contacts app for some reason now called phone, and the other two are probably needed for the dialler I would assume

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
Yea since Oreo you can no longer manually update system apps

There are 3 "phone" apps too if you enable "Show system apps" in Settings > Apps, one is the contacts app for some reason now called phone, and the other two are probably needed for the dialler I would assume

Yep it's a mystery. ? I'm doing a complete restore now but I'm still on that older version and still no dialer symbol after the restore. I do have the three phone apps also.

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Yep it's a mystery. ? I'm doing a complete restore now but I'm still on that older version and still no dialer symbol after the restore. I do have the three phone apps also.

The app version will differ with different firmware, I'm guessing yours is a snapdragon, mine is the Exynos with O2U CSC firmware

Might be able to fix it by just flashing the same firmware over the top though, no data loss and "should" repair system files