Droid 2 Global root CD for .629 (not necessary to brick phone)

Search This thread

bhigham

Jan 28, 2009
I have assembled a rooting CD for Droid 2 Global phones that have taken the .629 update.
I got the info on how to do this from phifc's post at
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29930-new-root-method-for-stock-234-621622-found-droid2-r2d2/
so all credit for this method go to phifc, djrbliss, and the others who developed the method.
I have simply taken the method, and assembled the tools for the Droid 2 Global.
Credit for the idea behind the CD method should go to 1KDS, as I have mostly patterned this CD after his method.
Credit should also go to Skrilax_CZ, as without his Motorola Android Firmware (De)packer, we wouldn't be able to have a CD under 50 meg.
I have tested this CD on my phone, and found it to work properly, but I can't guarantee that it will work for others. Others have also found it to work, but I can't guarantee you will have the same results.

You are welcome to try it, and I hope it is helpful to someone, but as with all modifications, you do so at your own risk.

Instructions for using this CD.
Download and burn this image file to CD. (or create bootable USB)
It might be a good idea to do a factory reset before starting this process, but you might be ok without it. My phone had already been rooted, so I had to sbf it back to stock, in order to test the CD, so I have only tried it after a factory reset.

1 Enable USB debugging on the phone,
2 Boot computer off of this CD
3 Hook up phone to computer (phone needs to be on at this point)
4 Start the root process by selecting option 1
5 When it says on the screen that phone needs placed in bootloader, (almost right away, as it only needs to send 1 command before placing in bootloader) power off the phone, and put it in bootloader by holding the up arrow on the keyboard of the phone while powering on.
6 when in bootloader and hooked up to the phone, press enter on the computer to proceed, a preinstall image will be flashed to the phone, providing the exploit that will root the phone.
7 When it has flashed, the phone should reboot. If it hangs when booting, unplug phone, remove battery, replace battery and power back on. When powered on, hook up cable again, and the process will continue (it will immediately reboot again)
8 When the phone reboots, ADB should be root, so it will push the necessary files to the phone, and reboot the phone again. Per Morlok8k, cache should be wiped to avoid bootloop problems, so the phone will be rebooted into Recovery.
9 You will have to press both volume buttons to enter recovery, where you should wipe cache partition and reboot.
If all went well, your phone should be rooted.
If you try it, please verify if it works for you, or gives you trouble.
Hope this helps someone.

I updated the CD (mainly just made it a bit smaller) and uploaded it to Mediafire

http://www.mediafire.com/?394ha4dzjtyqpqb

I also uploaded it to rapidshare,
https://rapidshare.com/files/1105339167/D2G_629-Root_CD-updated.iso
the md5 for the updated CD is

84ff5a572e98c3eb366cc6fec13f99d5

I also previously forgot to mention that this method works fine off a bootable usb drive, a CD is not necessary. I use Unetbootin to create the bootable usb, and it works well for me.

Update
Since there is now a direct rooting method of .629 available, I also put it together with an EzSbf style CD of the full .629 SBF.

One item of note with this CD, it does require at least 1GB of RAM in order to work properly. Also, if you only have 1GB of memory, and you need to both SBF and root your phone, it will be necessary to reboot the computer after flashing the .629 SBF. If you are unsure of the amount of RAM that you have, go ahead and reboot to be on the safe side.

The CD is available at
https://rapidshare.com/files/2650843793/D2G_4.5.629_SBF-and-RootCD.iso
and the MD5 is
579d7d5095fc2560205033456db150a2

So there are two CD's available, both of which work to root .629. The second CD should also work as a recovery CD, as it contains the full .629 SBF

There is also a mirror of these files provided by sd_shadow at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Oj1a1wNZKhZMPUqU_6KzzYzQJ2RKzvvumTx-41f3h4/edit

Last edited:

drumdestroyer

Jan 11, 2012
Oregon
Cant wait to try this out.

I got a Gnex so since I had to replace my D2G due to a messed up keyboard and got a post 629 back I havn't really messed with it. Mainly just becuase I havn't had time. But I am definently going to have to try this. BTW, I have two D2Gs that I am looking to sell. Thinking I will put them on Swappa. Both are Verizon insurance replacements but becuase of that they are in perfect shape. One is white and one is blue. I hate to just have them sitting here when someone could enjoy them, so hit me up if you want to make a offer. Im pretty open price wise. Not looking to make a killing since they are older devices. I will also throw in a extra battery, two car docks, screen protectors, a couple chargers and....I think thats it.

bhigham

Jan 28, 2009
Which file? I think ad_shadow has mirrored the files in another thread.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

damagedon

Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for the ISO bhigham, worked like a charm.

What I am having trouble figuring out is how to install cyanogenmod post root. I am following the instructions in the wiki, can't link due to new account but it is the Install_CM_for_droid2we guide.

And when I get down to the line,
Code:
adb push su /system/xbin/
I get a permission denied error.

See while my phone is rooted, the default shell is the non-root shell ('$' vs '#'). Apparently the old root method would give you a default root shell.

Anyone have any ideas how to precede here?

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
i think root failed, because adb shell should be root
retry
is phone rebooting to android os, twice after flashing in bootloader, or rebooting to bootloader?
if it's rebooting to bootloader, pull usb cable during reboot, reconnect after phone has completed reboot

Sent from my XT862 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

See while my phone is rooted
not sure how you could know that, without superuser

damagedon

Jan 6, 2013
Sorry, the vital information I left out is that when I type 'su' I can elevate to the root prompt. I assumed this means my phone was correctly rooted.

The phone did the double reboot into the Android OS and everything looked like it was working correctly.

damagedon

Jan 6, 2013
I actually have the superuser app on my phone already. The Root CD in the OP must have added it.

So if I got to the next step in the wiki, pushing the recovery bootstrap onto the phone,

Code:
adb push bootstrap-1.0.0.5-droid2.apk /system/app/

At first I get a read only file system error, which goes away away when I remount /system using,

Code:
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

But then I get a permission denied erro when running the push. Again I think this is because the default shell does not have root.

Is there someway to evaluate the privileges of the push command?

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
i have always found the easiest way to get apks from pc to phone, is
connect phone to pc in mass storage mode, drag apk to sd card
change phone to charge only, use file manager or root explorer
find apk tap on it, select install

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

app will not be a system app, but does not need to be, and on D2G I never installed it as a system app

damagedon

Jan 6, 2013
Ah that sounds like a simpler approach. I just realized I don't even have a sd card on this phone, the person who gave it to me apparently removed it. So I just ordered one for the phone as I don't think it would very useful without one.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
ok, not sure why you can't push it as a system app
if you have 3g or wifi available, download apk directly to phone
then use file manager or root explorer
find apk (should be in download folder) tap on it, select install

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

guess you can't download without sd card

damagedon

Jan 6, 2013
So I got my SD card and tried installing cyanogenmod and got stuck on the Motorola screen. Not sure what I did wrong but I am reflashing the SBF to try again.

damagedon

Jan 6, 2013
I can't link due to my newness but it was kind of roundabout where I installed the droid 2 recovery bootstrap but then couldn't figure out how to get into clockwork recovery, so I went on the play store, downloaded clockwork from there and reboot into recover and installed the cyanogen mod from the official site plus the google apps zip. Then I wiped data and cache and rebooted but got stuck on the Motorola logo.

In the process of trying again. This time I got the recovery bootstrap installed and was about to reboot directly into clockwork with no play store needed. I was going to wipe data/factory and then install from zip. I don't see the point in creating a backup as I could find no way to restore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have assembled a rooting CD for Droid 2 Global phones that have taken the .629 update.
    I got the info on how to do this from phifc's post at
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29930-new-root-method-for-stock-234-621622-found-droid2-r2d2/
    so all credit for this method go to phifc, djrbliss, and the others who developed the method.
    I have simply taken the method, and assembled the tools for the Droid 2 Global.
    Credit for the idea behind the CD method should go to 1KDS, as I have mostly patterned this CD after his method.
    Credit should also go to Skrilax_CZ, as without his Motorola Android Firmware (De)packer, we wouldn't be able to have a CD under 50 meg.
    I have tested this CD on my phone, and found it to work properly, but I can't guarantee that it will work for others. Others have also found it to work, but I can't guarantee you will have the same results.

You are welcome to try it, and I hope it is helpful to someone, but as with all modifications, you do so at your own risk.

Instructions for using this CD.
    Download and burn this image file to CD. (or create bootable USB)
    It might be a good idea to do a factory reset before starting this process, but you might be ok without it. My phone had already been rooted, so I had to sbf it back to stock, in order to test the CD, so I have only tried it after a factory reset.

1 Enable USB debugging on the phone,
    2 Boot computer off of this CD
    3 Hook up phone to computer (phone needs to be on at this point)
    4 Start the root process by selecting option 1
    5 When it says on the screen that phone needs placed in bootloader, (almost right away, as it only needs to send 1 command before placing in bootloader) power off the phone, and put it in bootloader by holding the up arrow on the keyboard of the phone while powering on.
    6 when in bootloader and hooked up to the phone, press enter on the computer to proceed, a preinstall image will be flashed to the phone, providing the exploit that will root the phone.
    7 When it has flashed, the phone should reboot. If it hangs when booting, unplug phone, remove battery, replace battery and power back on. When powered on, hook up cable again, and the process will continue (it will immediately reboot again)
    8 When the phone reboots, ADB should be root, so it will push the necessary files to the phone, and reboot the phone again. Per Morlok8k, cache should be wiped to avoid bootloop problems, so the phone will be rebooted into Recovery.
    9 You will have to press both volume buttons to enter recovery, where you should wipe cache partition and reboot.
    If all went well, your phone should be rooted.
    If you try it, please verify if it works for you, or gives you trouble.
    Hope this helps someone.

I updated the CD (mainly just made it a bit smaller) and uploaded it to Mediafire

http://www.mediafire.com/?394ha4dzjtyqpqb

I also uploaded it to rapidshare,
    https://rapidshare.com/files/1105339167/D2G_629-Root_CD-updated.iso
    the md5 for the updated CD is

84ff5a572e98c3eb366cc6fec13f99d5

I also previously forgot to mention that this method works fine off a bootable usb drive, a CD is not necessary. I use Unetbootin to create the bootable usb, and it works well for me.

Update
    Since there is now a direct rooting method of .629 available, I also put it together with an EzSbf style CD of the full .629 SBF.

One item of note with this CD, it does require at least 1GB of RAM in order to work properly. Also, if you only have 1GB of memory, and you need to both SBF and root your phone, it will be necessary to reboot the computer after flashing the .629 SBF. If you are unsure of the amount of RAM that you have, go ahead and reboot to be on the safe side.

The CD is available at
    https://rapidshare.com/files/2650843793/D2G_4.5.629_SBF-and-RootCD.iso
    and the MD5 is
    579d7d5095fc2560205033456db150a2

So there are two CD's available, both of which work to root .629. The second CD should also work as a recovery CD, as it contains the full .629 SBF

There is also a mirror of these files provided by sd_shadow at
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Oj1a1wNZKhZMPUqU_6KzzYzQJ2RKzvvumTx-41f3h4/edit
    build.prop is the file you need to edit.

You don't need to touch local.prop.
    to make a nandroid backup, you need to install Droid 2 bootstrap recovery
    you can not flash official cm 7.2, on 4.5.629

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

unless it's to correct, you don't need to use edit
    xda, will add new post to old if no one else has posted
    Gasai says just edit build.prop, so just edit build.prop
    she knows a lot more than me, about gms and editing files