[q] should i buy nexus 7

Search This thread

BNNEBULA

Jan 14, 2014
OK so I know I probably came to the wrong thread, but my question is aimed specifically at people who use the nexus 5 and also own a nexus 7. Is the screen that much of a difference? Is it worth being a companion to my pretty big nexus 5 or should I not waste my dinero and buy a mid range tab for a bigger contrast in screen size? I was thinking lg g pad cause of the processor upgrade from the nexus 7, screen size, and storage expansion. but it is early 2014 not sure if I should wait for this years tablets to come out and make a decision.

PassingThruLife

Jun 6, 2012
most people here are using the original nexus 7 from 2012,you can buy one of those for around $90 on craigslist or around 110 on ebay.

i dont have a nexus 5 but i own a droid dna and the nexus 5 has a slightly bigger screen but honestly,a 7 inch tablet is way better for reading or just laying down and watching a movie compared to most phones, even the bigger ones.

if i were you ,id get the newer nexus 7 tho ,its slimmer and has better specs,but the original can be bought cheap and it will still handle pretty much anything as the specs are not too outdated yet,

Maduro78

Nov 24, 2013
N7 is awesome. Its the perfect size and imo the best bang for your buck device

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Can we help you with Buying your Undies too.

I have a Note 2 phone with 5.5 inch screen. The 7 inch screen is so much better then even this monster phone.I also have a note 10.1.. I love the screen size on it.But it does not fit in my purse.
I would say yes its worth it ..But you gotta ask yourself some questions. How much money you are willing to spend. Do you need it NOW. How much storage space do you need. Do you need a network radio in it .

After you come up with the above answers if . question one is you have plenty of money and question 2 is you DO NOT have to have it this day. Wait and get the next greatest thing. a
Well you can figure the rest out.

I can tell you its a awesome device.. GET 32 GB Version. You will be glad you did.
Good Luck

issak42

Nov 20, 2010
They're exactly the same interface and software wise, except some apps are displayed in tablet mode, which is usually better but sometimes worse. Another difference is also that in landscape, the virtual buttons are portrait on the right on Nexus 5 and on Nexus 7 they are landscape on the bottom, wasting precious screen height. These virtual buttons are the only thing I hate about the Nexus 7, after removing them with apps in the Store, you gain a lot of screen space. However, Nexus 5 is 16:9, while Nexus 7 is 16:10, so the visible screen is more or less the same in the end.
I mostly use it in portrait mode because of that.

As I said, that is the only thing that bugs me about it. Otherwise, it's a great little tablet, great size for watching movies, series on the go (or in bed), it should play all games available in the Store and do all other unproductive things you can do on a tablet.
I had a 2011 Xperia Arc S before, and with it's single core CPU it quickly failed to play latest games, that's why I resorted to the Nexus 7.
Nexus 5, however, is newer, has the latest hardware and is capable of playing anything you throw at it, so getting a Nexus 7 is really only for extra screen size, but it does pay off. Maybe diagonal isn't the best measure, try screen area:
Nexus 5: 69 cm^2
Nexus 7: 142 cm^2
So the screen is actually double the size of the Nexus 5, and it's noticeably bigger when watching videos.

If you're going to mostly use it to watch videos, get the N7, if you're primarily going to surf the internet and read documents and such, I'd recommend you to check out the 8" tablets LG Pad 8.3 and Samsung 8" (tab or note), both come with buttons on the side and therefore have more vertical pixels (both 16:10).
Then there's also 2013 Nexus 7, with latest chip and 16:10 fullHD but it's quite pricier then its 2012 brother.

Why would you need a tablet for anyway? If you want it because it's popular, then forget about it. If you have other reasons, write them down, it's easier to recommend that way.

rmn6

Jan 21, 2008
I would highly recommend the original Nexus 7 (as long as you don't need HDMI out) ts still a great tablet and works well and you can get it for a great price. I would highly recommend you DON'T get the 2013 it has known defects with the screen (do some research).

Sent from my Original Nexus 7 (because the 3 2013 models i tried were all defective)
using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

cpatrick08

Aug 6, 2013
Huntsville
should I buy Nexus 7

I would highly recommend the original Nexus 7 (as long as you don't need HDMI out) ts still a great tablet and works well and you can get it for a great price. I would highly recommend you DON'T get the 2013 it has known defects with the screen (do some research).

Sent from my Original Nexus 7 (because the 3 2013 models i tried were all defective)
using xda app-developers app

It works great for me, it is highly customizable, gets latest android,price is great for the 2012 model.

qpkg

Feb 21, 2011
I own both, Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2012). Have to say that N5 screen is awesome, but still N7 screen is nice and totally usable and it's so cheap, that you can later easily change to some other device if you want.

One good thing is that, the Nexus 7 is still supported by Google so you get official updates at least some time. When Google drop support, then you can always use custom roms.

Personally I buy only Nexus devices, because they get always best support from Google and maybe best community support.

qpkg

Feb 21, 2011
Is there any noticeable lag if using the stock 4.4.2 ? For example newer games etc

I don't play much games, but on normal usage stock 4.4.2 is working smoothly without any noticeable lag. And yes, you can't compare speed to N5, but old N7 is not bad at all if we compare example to N4.

Do you have some free example game(s) what you mean? I can test and let you know is it working smoothly or not... :) Maybe this info is useful to @BNNEBULA too.