[APP][4.0+] HoverChat (formerly Ninja SMS): Alternative to Facebook ChatHeads for SMS

Search This thread

MostafaGazar

Nov 2, 2012
github.com
Featured in Time Magazine "50 Best Android Apps for 2013" Must-have Android apps for newbies and enthusiasts alike.
943420_539954786042918_769845217_n.jpg

HoverChat (formerly Ninja SMS) enables true multitasking by allowing you to read and reply to incoming messages without ever leaving your current screen, dealing with in-your-face social feeds, or having to change your favorite launcher. On the plus side, it works on all Android phones 2.3+.

Features:
★ Multiple floating windows at the same time
★ Drag and drop windows anywhere with ease
★ Collapse mode helps minimize popups for easy access anytime
★ Anti-NSA mode: Encrypt messages while sending to contacts so your phone carrier or government cannot read it... Ninja Style!
★ Emoji Support :)
★ Notification animation for new incoming messages in minimized chat windows
★ Maximize mode allows you to switch to full texting mode in an instant
★ Transparency mode to help you view other windows in the background as you read and reply to messages
★ Settings panel lets you control which contacts the app will show popups for
★ 1 easy switch to enable and disable anytime
★ Efficient battery usage so you can keep the popups open as long as you want
★ Elegant design and graphics

Download HoverChat (formerly Ninja SMS) from Play Store at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninja.sms.promo

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ninjasmsapp

Screens:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Download HoverChat (formerly Ninja SMS) from Play Store at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninja.sms.promo

Attachments

• Promo_NinjaSMS_v1.1_2013_05_23.apk
    1.6 MB · Views: 5,710
Last edited:

ooonimrodooo

Jan 28, 2011
Corfu, Ny
I purchased this app not long after you initially released it. I have to say I love it. Works great and keeps getting better. Fantastic job!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: FuN2OwN

Thanofski

Dec 16, 2010
+1 for what's app compatibility.I'm having some issues right now.screen wakes up with every notification even if this option is disabled.although this happens only when phone is on silent. Another problem I had sometimes the pop-up would turn almost transparent for no reason making it unusable.generally applications seems unstable atm.some times it just doesn't want to show my messages...like it's getting auto disabled....anyhow still waiting for lightflow support and for some fixes which that are quite important...potential is great whatsoever...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
Using paid version now. Like so far, have a few requests/suggestions. Can you make it possible to switch to sms app of your choice from ppopup? And I would love to see semi transparent"chat heads". And can this be themed easily? ie can we use images to make rounded corners and such or is this all drawn by system? If it will be themable can we get a guide somewhere?
Thanks

Yoonsicker

Apr 6, 2013
Nice, it would be great if it integrates with Floating Notifications, just a thought.

Sent from my Nokia 5110

totalfailz

Nov 14, 2011
great app but when i have multiple chat heads open... i get an odd bug... well i think its a bug haha. The chat heads that have been opened more recently still stay in the foreground when i open up a chat head that has been open for longer. This messes me up because if I have the cheat heads under the keyboard is still recognizes that i have pressed them even though i want to type on the keyboard. This also makes it harder to see the text in the conversation because it gets in the way. For a feature or bug fix request (depending on which it is :p ) i would like it where you can hide all other chat heads when you open one to reply/look at the message.

shangrila500

Jan 24, 2010
great app but when i have multiple chat heads open... i get an odd bug... well i think its a bug haha. The chat heads that have been opened more recently still stay in the foreground when i open up a chat head that has been open for longer. This messes me up because if I have the cheat heads under the keyboard is still recognizes that i have pressed them even though i want to type on the keyboard. This also makes it harder to see the text in the conversation because it gets in the way. For a feature or bug fix request (depending on which it is :p ) i would like it where you can hide all other chat heads when you open one to reply/look at the message.

You can choose to collapse the chart on send if you want or you could tap the icon to the side to collapse it back to a chat head icon. You can alsocostto close it completely once you send the text

Bzow

Aug 9, 2011
Chicago, IL
First of all, this is a fantastic app so I was happy to buy the version from the Play store. It works great and it makes texting a lot easier.

I have a question about the "Choose all" option. Why is it not recommended? Is it just that I would receive many pop ups if I received several SMS at once? Or is it that more resources have to be allocated while it runs?

Thank you.

m0d

Nov 3, 2010
Its so cool. i 'll buy paid version

First of all, this is a fantastic app so I was happy to buy the version from the Play store. It works great and it makes texting a lot easier.

I have a question about the "Choose all" option. Why is it not recommended? Is it just that I would receive many pop ups if I received several SMS at once? Or is it that more resources have to be allocated while it runs?

Thank you.

Using paid version now. Like so far, have a few requests/suggestions. Can you make it possible to switch to sms app of your choice from ppopup? And I would love to see semi transparent"chat heads". And can this be themed easily? ie can we use images to make rounded corners and such or is this all drawn by system? If it will be themable can we get a guide somewhere?
Thanks

I am confused, where were you able to find free version. The link is OP is not found.
Market only has paid version, and as far as I know in xda that is not allowed, against forum rules:

11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.

Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar/substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
Do not post press releases, announcements, links to trial software, or commercial services. unless you’re posting an exclusive release for XDA-Developers.com.
Encouraging members to participate in forum activities on other phone related sites is prohibited.
Off-site downloads are permitted if the site is non-commercial and does not require registration.
Off-site downloads from sites requiring registration are NOT encouraged but may be permitted if the following conditions are met:
A) the site belongs to a member of XDA-Developers with at least 1500 posts and 2 years membership who actively maintains XDA-Developers' support thread(s) / posts, related to the download,
B) the site is a relatively small personal website without commercial advertising/links (i.e. not a competitor forum-based site with purposes and aims similar to those of XDA-Developers.com.)

Reactions: druface

Bzow

Aug 9, 2011
Chicago, IL
I am confused, where were you able to find free version. The link is OP is not found.
Market only has paid version, and as far as I know in xda that is not allowed, against forum rules:

I only tried the paid version from the store. All I meant was that I'm happy to support this app.

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
It was stated in OP that there was a free version, and was going to be posted here after the initial free release time expired. All we said was that we were using paid version, so I'm not sure where the confusion Congress from. Currently there is no free version, but at .99 is practically free.

curly9

Sep 29, 2011
I love this app I like how it looks

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

memekmek

Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
i recently purchased this app and although i like it, there are a few issues with it:

• needs an easier way to dismiss the app instead of clicking on the bubble and then clicking the 'X'. Maybe incorporate a double tap to dismiss
  • Does not support MMS yet
  • During long text conversations, it gets annoying because i'll be typing in the standard messaging app and this app always pops up, interfering with my conversation
  • When i'm using the keyboard in another app such as gmail, this app will pop up and cause me to lose my keyboard.

This app nice when i am watching a youtube vid or want to do a super quick reply, but it often gets in the way. Just my two cents worth.

Reactions: iNeedICS

f2bacon

Oct 20, 2011
Brooklyn NY
This app looks like it'll have an extremely bright future, but right now it looks a little dark.
No conversation list? How are you supposed to just read a conversation without having just been texted?
No MMS support at all? Didn't know that til I missed a couple.
I'd love to see an actual settings menu (I'd love to get rid of the transparency option in the popup, I like it transparent and don't need the option to make it opaque)
When I swipe into my notifications I see "Ninja SMS Open conversations list" and I'd like for that not to be there. Facebook chatheads literally just fixed that.
I'd love an option to call the contact from the popup.

All my complaints and I still love it so much I just uninstalled go sms (the only texting app I've liked since 2.2, now on 4.2) and paid for an app (I've maybe paid for 3 apps my entire life) I can't wait to see the future for this app, thank you for your hard work.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Featured in Time Magazine "50 Best Android Apps for 2013" Must-have Android apps for newbies and enthusiasts alike.
    943420_539954786042918_769845217_n.jpg

HoverChat (formerly Ninja SMS) enables true multitasking by allowing you to read and reply to incoming messages without ever leaving your current screen, dealing with in-your-face social feeds, or having to change your favorite launcher. On the plus side, it works on all Android phones 2.3+.

Features:
    ★ Multiple floating windows at the same time
    ★ Drag and drop windows anywhere with ease
    ★ Collapse mode helps minimize popups for easy access anytime
    ★ Anti-NSA mode: Encrypt messages while sending to contacts so your phone carrier or government cannot read it... Ninja Style!
    ★ Emoji Support :)
    ★ Notification animation for new incoming messages in minimized chat windows
    ★ Maximize mode allows you to switch to full texting mode in an instant
    ★ Transparency mode to help you view other windows in the background as you read and reply to messages
    ★ Settings panel lets you control which contacts the app will show popups for
    ★ 1 easy switch to enable and disable anytime
    ★ Efficient battery usage so you can keep the popups open as long as you want
    ★ Elegant design and graphics

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ninjasmsapp

Screens:

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

If anyone is interested in joining our beta group, you can email us at support@hoverchat.com with the email address tied to your Play store account and I will be happy to add you to the group.

Thank you guys for keeping this tread alive, special thanks to @gohamstergo, @rootlinux, @dcwiker05, @artyfarty and everyone participated in this thread so far.
    I'm just throwing in some suggestions

1. More emojis
    2. Have the theme on the whole app instead of just the popup
    3. Be able to send and receive pictures

That's all I can think of. I love this app so much

Thank you for the nice comments :).

We already started working on MMS then I think we might work on Emojis and theming. Most probably it will be a couple separate updates to keep the update cycle reasonable.
    Working great so far. One little thing that would be nice is the ability to change the color of the notification icon. On a black status bar, the current icon is difficult to see. Not a big deal, this app is fantastic.

We are going to add more customization options in the upcoming updates and one of them will be custom notification icon.
    I'm testing this with Go sms, so far a third party messaging app that works near perfect with ninja sms is 88sms :) but I like IOS6 Emoji so I'm trying go sms because handcent had a bug with scrolling, chomp sms doesn't have group messaging, and textra uses its own database -_-
    Anyone know of a good third party sms app that has iOS6 emoji, group messaging, and plays well with ninja sms (I would love to have the ability to make custom notificationsnotifications with led and icons for each contact as well)
    Sent from my Note 2, just in case you were Note-icing my sig ;)

BTW we are working on threads view, full emoji and groups support and which will be divided on a couple updates to be published in the near future. We are trying to improve the whole messaging experience so you should be able to depend on Ninja SMS fully with these upcoming updates, you will also still be able to use any other messaging app with Ninja SMS if you want.