Windows Phone OS 7 Guides [Development::Architecture::Customization]

Search This thread

kwbr

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2007
Some additional information about Windows Phone OS 7. These guides cover technical information about the new OS consisting of

Download the documents here

- Application Development Guide
The OEM and MO Application Guide for WP7 provides guidance on developing applications for a Windows Phone.

- WP7 Architecture Guide
The Architecture Guide provides fundamental technical information about WP7. It serves as a roadmap to the components and core fundamentals of the WP7 architecture.

- WP7 Customization Guide
The Customization Guide for WP7 provides information about customizing the user interface and other system functionality.

Have fun reading, thanks to Tom Codon.

Last edited:

ElCondor

Retired News Writer
Mar 14, 2009
Amsterdam
The architecture article must be very outdated. It tells about CE6, but afaik, CE6 has been replaced by CE7 during development.

Ganondolf

Nov 16, 2008
It says "Ferburary 2010".

I was reading some of the architecture guide and some way down it says something(cant remember what) will be ready for the end of 2009.

So I think that it was written in late 2009 for feb 2010. Also some of the information has been changed like it says one one of the guides that you can have external storage which we know MS was now removed.

Ganondolf

Nov 16, 2008
The architecture article must be very outdated. It tells about CE6, but afaik, CE6 has been replaced by CE7 during development.

I believe someone is MS has said it is based on CE6 with features of CE7 added, so its probably somewhere between the two.

MS probably did this as CE7 was not finalised when the started making WP7 so they used CE6 and added features of CE7 that was being made for CE7 by the CE team (dont know what department makes the CE stuff).

I expect that MS could update to the full version of CE7 with a system update (I expect MS to have a major update each year like apple does).

Ganondolf

Nov 16, 2008
Im not sure if anyone outside of MS knows the answer to this question but would like your views on what you think the answer could be.

I the Customization guide it say that OEM can only add 6 apps that together are no larger that 60mb.

So can a company this Asus who make the Garmin-Asus phones make a wp7 handset with the satnav built-in? (this would be a lot larger than 60mb)

hasan1st

Apr 9, 2008
I believe someone is MS has said it is based on CE6 with features of CE7 added, so its probably somewhere between the two.

MS probably did this as CE7 was not finalised when the started making WP7 so they used CE6 and added features of CE7 that was being made for CE7 by the CE team (dont know what department makes the CE stuff).

I expect that MS could update to the full version of CE7 with a system update (I expect MS to have a major update each year like apple does).

This is what I heard too.

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando

Da_G explained it in a previous thread.

Ganondolf

Nov 16, 2008

I was speaking about the quote from the microsoft guy, as i feel his explanation of why there is confusion if its CE6 or CE7 is better for us to get a understanding of the situation.

Maps can be a separate download.

yes but that would mean that we would have to download a gig or so of maps to the handset or zune software after purchase.

Also does anyone know how big a satnav software is without the maps and voices as i still think it would be large and the OEM only has a cobined total of 60mb for all 6 apps.

Last edited by a moderator:

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
I was speaking about the quote from the microsoft guy, as i feel his explanation of why there is confusion if its CE6 or CE7 is better for us to get a understanding of the situation.
Right but it's rather unlikely that MS would ship WP7 with a pre-production OS. It just wouldn't really make much sense. What Da_G said, and I agree with, is that MS will likely RTM both at the same time (or close). MS has talks planned at their Tech Ed conference next month on things like "WEM308 | Windows Embedded Overview: Demos of the Latest and Upcoming Releases". They haven't announced CE7 but it sounds like they will before then or at TechEd.

Ganondolf

Nov 16, 2008
Right but it's rather unlikely that MS would ship WP7 with a pre-production OS. It just wouldn't really make much sense. What Da_G said, and I agree with, is that MS will likely RTM both at the same time (or close). MS has talks planned at their Tech Ed conference next month on things like "WEM308 | Windows Embedded Overview: Demos of the Latest and Upcoming Releases". They haven't announced CE7 but it sounds like they will before then or at TechEd.

This could be true but its best to remember that CE is not the WP7 OS but only the code the OS is built on so its very possible they could release the WP7 OS like it is now (CE6 + extra code) and then add extra code later (Full CE7).

In the end i dont think it will make a lot of difference to the end user as if they change it to full CE7 they wont have enough time to add the features launch so the added code wont change anything to the next update (around a year later if they go the apple route).

We will have to wait and see what code the finished launch roms use.

ronan675

Feb 7, 2007
www.ppczone.net
I believe Windows Phone 7 is actually based on the Windows CE 6 core with custom add-ons. This would make sense as CE7 is not reached RTM yet and from a development perspective it wouldn't be good to base your new Phone experience on an unfinished base OS. It would also make synchronization of the development between the two teams very complicated.

steve10

Dec 10, 2005
I wouldn't put it past them. They shipped Windows ME with a late beta build of IE5.5. While I hope they do it right from the start, it also wouldn't surprise me if they rely on that Microsoft-controlled update service a lot in order to get WP7 out the door so they can continue development and update the OS between the time it RTM's and carriers begin selling the phones to consumers. And don't get me wrong, I can't wait for WP7 regardless. Barring some major setback, I am 95% sure I will be in line to pick up a WP7 phone during the first weeks of its release.

walshieau

Nov 7, 2006
Sorry but that is incorrect, CE7 is due to RTM in July, with WP7 due to RTM in October. That is why they are using it now... Its to make sure the CE7 core is bedded down properly, which should help with perf moving forward.

The core is and has always been CE7.