Motorola Droid Turbo gets soak test prior to Android 6.0 Update!

Search This thread

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Edit: I see there may be some info pertinent to my situation above, am going over the whole thread again, sorry if I was being redundant.

Well so much for a soak test. VZ pushed Marshmallow to my 100% stock Droid Turbo yesterday. Now it only goes to the fastboot screen. Even Factory Reset does nothing. VZ sent me a link to a Motorola tool "Software Upgrade Assistant" to reflash it, but that also failed. VZ's answer to all this is that I buy a new phone from them, which isn't happening. Is there an idiot's guide to getting this fixed anywhere ? I'm technically savvy but completely new to this process. I've seen something about RSD Lite, but am not sure if that's the right starting point. I'd just ditch VZ now and go Google Fi but I live right on the border of a 3G only zone, so I'm looking for options.

Sorry for your situation, but you're at least the 4th person whose phone can't boot due to this OTA, whose Droid Turbos have never been unlocked. See here for the others:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=69924906&postcount=177

People stop installing this OTA until the devs figure out what's wrong, which XT1254 are being affected. One guy had a 64GB model, we don't know about the others.

Copy and and upload the OTA file to here to XDA.

Last edited:

limeytim

Dec 4, 2016
I've had to obfuscate the URL as my profile is too junior to post it:

http s://

verizonwireless

com

/support/knowledge-base-116950/

TheSt33v

Jun 12, 2014
The Stupid Country
A little anonymous birdy dropped something in my mailbox today. I'm in the process of reuploading it so I can share it with all of you. Stay tuned.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Also, for those of you with locked bootloaders with bad flashes, you are kind of SOL right now. You need to wait until Verizon releases the full firmware package for the marshmallow update, which won't happen until the official update rolls out. Hang tight.

zys52712

Jul 28, 2016
Ames
I took the ota and everything seems fine don't know why people's phones are getting bricked. I have the 32gb version, that might be why.

Ks0

Dec 3, 2016
2nd Edit: So I see I am equally stuffed. 100% stock phone, cannot be recovered. People: DO NOT TAKE this OTA.

Edit: I see there may be some info pertinent to my situation above, am going over the whole thread again, sorry if I was being redundant.

Well so much for a soak test. VZ pushed Marshmallow to my 100% stock Droid Turbo yesterday. Now it only goes to the fastboot screen. Even Factory Reset does nothing. VZ sent me a link to a Motorola tool "Software Upgrade Assistant" to reflash it, but that also failed. VZ's answer to all this is that I buy a new phone from them, which isn't happening. Is there an idiot's guide to getting this fixed anywhere ? I'm technically savvy but completely new to this process. I've seen something about RSD Lite, but am not sure if that's the right starting point. I'd just ditch VZ now and go Google Fi but I live right on the border of a 3G only zone, so I'm looking for options.

Sorry to say, but we have tried alot of different methods and the closest we got was to the new device activation wizard on the pick a WiFi network screen. You will need to wait for the Soak Test forums to open up and post the information there, as they will either need to provide the correct files for reflash or replace the device as several members have suggested.

This makes a total of 4 known completely stock locked devices dead in the water from the OTA. Avoid the OTA, I believe 64GB model is the common factor currently.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

iraqmilner

Mar 12, 2009
Boone
Oh snap!

A little anonymous birdy dropped something in my mailbox today. I'm in the process of reuploading it so I can share it with all of you. Stay tuned.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Also, for those of you with locked bootloaders with bad flashes, you are kind of SOL right now. You need to wait until Verizon releases the full firmware package for the marshmallow update, which won't happen until the official update rolls out. Hang tight.

helobubba88

Oct 24, 2011
This makes a total of 4 known completely stock locked devices dead in the water from the OTA. Avoid the OTA, I believe 64GB model is the common factor currently.

I have a 64GB BN and had no problems with the OTA. Guess I was lucky.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

kitcostantino

Mar 21, 2011
Mayberry
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8
To the ones who successfully/unsuccessfuly updated, which RAM do you have?
the first guys was Hynix. Mine (EE BN 64) is Samsung. while it likely is not the RAM itself that is the issue, it is a good marker for different batches of Turbos. thanks guys.

also, I am more than willing to flash the OTA on my bl unlocked Turbo. for science. and/or to prove samsung ram variant it safe/unsafe to update if someone can give me a update.zip

Last edited:

zys52712

Jul 28, 2016
Ames
the first guys was Hynix. Mine (EE BN 64) is Samsung. while it likely is not the RAM itself that is the issue, it is a good marker for different batches of Turbos. thanks guys.

also, I am more than willing to flash the OTA on my bl unlocked Turbo. for science. and/or to prove samsung ram variant it safe/unsafe to update if someone can give me a update.zip

The ram in my phone is the 3072MB Samsung S8 varient, Sandisk storage 32GB. Successfully updated.
The update zip
http://xdaforums.com/droid-turbo/development/ota-official-marshmallow-build-mcg24-t3512813

kitcostantino

Mar 21, 2011
Mayberry
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8
Woot! (Well, hopefully) lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-12-04-15-15-57.png
    Screenshot_2016-12-04-15-15-57.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 480

helobubba88

Oct 24, 2011
My 64GB BN successfully took the OTA and both RAM and storage are Hynix.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

limeytim

Dec 4, 2016

My bricked handset has Hynix memory. I don't know if there are any other numbers I can give that might help distinguish.

Ks0

Dec 3, 2016
Seems like there are a ton of users with the OTA bricking their devices on the moto forums, all with the same end results.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I am betting a little later in the year. Let the new flagships gain sells that are still on marshmallow and not let them be comparable to a 2 year old device.

21 megapixel camera, 2k screen, 3gb ram, with a quad core for $150 rivals many devices still.

I personally wouldn't trade mine for most of this years flagships.
    Jcase confirmed that he received the soak firmware. It's real.

Just said it was MM, never mentioned if it was soak or otehrwise (i dont know)
    They've done this with soaks in the past. Sent the invites, waited, and then just released it. So it could go either way still.

Jcase confirmed that he received the soak firmware. It's real.