[Archived][App][5.0+] Frost for Facebook [Open Source]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Zeuszoos

Aug 9, 2012
Completely unrelated annecdote: Today Facebook also gave me a 3-days ban for a politically incorrect, but pretty much harmless joke which I posted in 2011. I guess it's really about time to finally say goodbye to this ****hole site for good, lol :D

But of course wishing death on America is fine. :)

There's no app yet, but if you're a Conservative, which I figured from your post that you might be, you can sign up at…..

https://www.codias.com/

It's a Conservative Facebook-like (for lack of a better explanation) Social Media site. And don't worry about not knowing anybody on it. Folks seem to look at member profile and make "Friend" requests whether they know you or not, so just make sure to fill in your profile. I probably have around a hundred "friends" on it from doing nothing, not even posting yet. :)

And unless you constantly post vulgarity, I doubt you'll be censored. :)

I wish the Frost Dev would write an app for that platform! Not many Conservative FB users even know it exists and yet it's still growing wicked fast anyway!

TTYL

oVeRdOsE.

Sep 19, 2011
MTL
Hello,
Sorry for stupid question but are messenger notifications works without any problems? Are they instant or delayed? Is it really battery friendly? I am currently using de-bullshified version of Messenger but I it's full of garbage "features" anyway.
Thank You in advance

from my experience with facebook on - chrome/ frost/ metal, none of them makes messenger work well.
Can't tell if its user related or not, but here what issue I have since for ever :

- messenger group that are already created : I receive all message.
- Someone , somewhere send me a PM, I WON'T receive it until I click on his name, then I can see all his message. That means, he had to post on my wall to warn me about a PM.

Of course I can install messenger app to avoid this, but it won't happen :p

Last edited:

kptkill

Oct 18, 2009
@asdfasdfvful could you please add an option (perhaps not as the default option) to put the mobile useragent back? The desktop UA breaks events, which is my primary facebook usecase. I've been using build 2509 in web only mode, w/ no issues, and ended up rolling back due to events not working correctly in the newer builds.

asdfasdfvful

Apr 21, 2013
Montreal
allanwang.ca
from my experience with facebook on - chrome/ frost/ metal, none of them makes messenger work well.
Can't tell if its user related or not, but here what issue I have since for ever :

- messenger group that are already created : I receive all message.
- Someone , somewhere send me a PM, I WON'T receive it until I click on his name, then I can see all his message. That means, he had to post on my wall to warn me about a PM.

Of course I can install messenger app to avoid this, but it won't happen :p

Messenger notifications should work, and as of now it will ping you all messages, even if it's muted (tracking bug here). You should get PMs too unless they fall under message requests, and it has at least been working for me.

@asdfasdfvful could you please add an option (perhaps not as the default option) to put the mobile useragent back? The desktop UA breaks events, which is my primary facebook usecase. I've been using build 2509 in web only mode, w/ no issues, and ended up rolling back due to events not working correctly in the newer builds.

I would look into fixing the links to convert them to mobile variants first before messing with user agents again. If you want you can always build from source (one line change), but I don't want to have to deal with custom variants depending on the use case since there's already so many features that I don't personally use and have to test. Tracking bug here

ALYSKY

Feb 20, 2017
Test Build v2592

Contains multiple fixes, including disabling swipe for certain post pages, and fixing mobile urls

The application works great, so far no problems.
One request - could you reduce the waiting time by holding the photo to open the zoom window (there e.g. I can download picture)?

konenas

Sep 29, 2012
frost scam?

Some time ago, I started to use frost, but in a week or so, facebook blocked by account saying that some unusual transactions made and probably my password was stolen.

Never before I had that experience with facebook.

I've stopped using frost and until now (2 weeks) everything is OK.

EDIT: I'm going to test the new version 2.4.0 and I'll comment afterwards

EDIT2: As I said, I tested version 2.4.0 for a week and it's OK.
No scam. Sorry for the post, I was furious.

Last edited:

Ryakna

Jun 18, 2019
Some time ago, I started to use frost, but in a week or so, facebook blocked by account saying that some unusual transactions made and probably my password was stolen.

Scam? Are you serious?
As you probably noticed, the app is open source, you can check it yourself.

asdfasdfvful

Apr 21, 2013
Montreal
allanwang.ca
The application works great, so far no problems.
One request - could you reduce the waiting time by holding the photo to open the zoom window (there e.g. I can download picture)?

If I have time I'll make the time the same as a typical long press, but otherwise I don't plan to make it configurable. Some people will want shorter wait times whereas others want longer ones.

There have been cases of phishing warnings by Facebook, but an unusual transaction sounds unrelated. That has hopefully been fixed by 2.4.0

Artur_D

May 13, 2015
What about full width image (without margins). In previous releases it World. Now, after problems with blocking accounts, it is not working. Any fix soon?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

wuub

Mar 2, 2007
Monaco
Very small bug in 2.4.1
In settings, appearance, web text scaling
The slider moves and changes the text size but the value remains at 100%

I did say very small ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191010-092758_Frost.jpg
    Screenshot_20191010-092758_Frost.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 367

konenas

Sep 29, 2012

EDIT2: As I said, I tested version 2.4.0 for a week and it's OK.
No scam. Sorry for the post, I was furious.

asdfasdfvful

Apr 21, 2013
Montreal
allanwang.ca
What about full width image (without margins). In previous releases it World. Now, after problems with blocking accounts, it is not working. Any fix soon?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

I'll take a look. I think it's a change on Facebook's end depending on user agents.

Very small bug in 2.4.1
In settings, appearance, web text scaling
The slider moves and changes the text size but the value remains at 100%

I did say very small ;)

Weird. I'll take a look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is no longer maintained. Please go to GitHub for future issues and discussions

------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Frost for Facebook!

Notice on Play Store removal

Main web page

Downloads through Github

Frost for Facebook is also available through F-Droid

Frost is a fully themable, fully functional alternative to the official Facebook app.
    While being a web wrapper, Frost contains many unique and native features such as:

True multi user interactions - More than just an option in a settings menu, Frost's account switcher is right in the drawer. You are one tap away from switching accounts, and everything refreshes on the switch so that you can view other accounts instantaneously. Furthermore, the notification service will fetch notifications from all accounts, and will let you know which account has the new notification.
    Better multitasking - Frost contains an overlaying web browser that can be drawn on top of your foreground task. Open links and notifications with a full screen view, then swipe away to get back to your previous task.
    Contextual awareness - Frost integrates additional features via long presses. Need to copy a block of text or share a link? Long press the text. Need to zoom into an image or download it? Long press the image!
    Material Design - Built for lollipop and up, Frost focuses strongly on a beautiful and functional UI, and embraces material transitions and dimensions.
    Complete theme engine - Frost contains very comprehensive themes that customize all components of the app. Frost is also the only app to support transparent themes.
    Fully opened - Nothing speaks for privacy more than being open sourced. Frost is proud to be one of those apps, and can be found on github (Link in the app's about section)
    Fixes the little things - Frost is community driven, and many tweaks are added to address minor inconveniences and give a full native experience, despite being a web app. To list a few:
       • Focusing on a text input will prevent refreshing, so you don't accidentally swipe and lose your progress.
       • Horizontal swipe can be enabled along side the viewpager swipe with a simple long press
       • Automatic bug reports are sent when a crash is detected, so even if you don't contact the devs, you are helping contribute by using the app.

Mandatory permissions used and why:

• Internet, Network State, Wifi State - Frost fetches the pages from Facebook's mobile website. It also needs the network state so as to limit internet usage when you are on a metered network.
    • Receive Boot Completed - Frost notifications persist on reboot, and need this permission to be added each time.
    • Vibrate - Needed to vibrate phone for notifications; this can be toggled in the settings
    • Billing - For purchasing pro and unlocking all of Frost's features

Optional permissions used and why:
    (these are only requested when they have to be, and are disabled until then)

• Read/write external storage - Needed to upload photos in a new status and save photos when prompted
    • Fine/coarse location - Needed for the check in option if users wish to search for their location

• That's it! No privacy intrusion and no extra demands.

Permissions NOT used and why:

• Wakelock - Frost takes advantage of Android's Job Scheduler, and lets the framework decide when to run background services. Frost therefore doesn't need to constantly run in the background, nor does it force your phone to stay awake.
    • Retrieve running apps - Frost has no need to access external apps or see what else is running
    • Identity - Frost manages its accounts internally and uses it solely to give you access to your account. We don't depend on other personal information and we don't even save your email.
    • Camera - While the camera permission can be added to allow you to directly take photos and upload them, we've decided that it would be best to allow you to do so externally and then share the photo with Frost

* Frost is a third party app and is in no way affiliated with Facebook Inc.*
    Hey all,

As you have noticed, Frost has unfortunately been pulled down from the play store due to violations of forwarding traffic to a particular site (m.facebook.com). I'm not sure if this was picked up by the Google team themselves, or if an opposing app decided to flag me for this reason. It is pretty upsetting that only I have been flagged, but either way, it seems quite unlikely that it will go back again. I considered filing a request to address this, but I feel like it would be a never ending battle, and frankly not worth my time.

The good news is that the app is fully open source, and that I have an apk source you can download from:
    https://github.com/AllanWang/Frost-for-Facebook-APK-Builder/releases/tag/v1885

The version above is the latest release as of this date.

The bad news is that pro will no longer work, since it isn't bound to the play store. For existing users, it should be just fine, so long as Google continues to honour the payments.

So what is going to happen with Frost? As of now I'm not sure. I'm a full time university student and I haven't been able to devote as much time to Frost compared to the summer, but it's not a project I plan on ditching soon. I still use the app myself, and Facebook is a relatively important means of communication. For now, the most likely route seems to be a main release to F-Droid. This will mean that I have to remove crashlytics, the bug tracking (closed source) library, but it may also mean that I will go fully FOSS and release everything for free with donation options.

Given that Frost has become quite mature, and continues to live on Google Play for those who have downloaded it, I think the pro version will continue to be a worthy purchase for those who got it, if even to support the development. However, if you feel like this change affects your decision and you've bought it after March 1, 2018, you can feel free to reach out to me with your purchase token and I will refund you.

As a final note, Frost was never meant to be just for the money. Unlike some of the other applications, I don't inject ads in the free version so I can benefit from the user base. Frost has always been about offering a better solution, and in helping other developers in the process. My activity here will increase again when summer break is here, and for those of you who stick around, prepare to see more great things to come.
    Links

Frost is primarily distributed through XDA Labs (and no longer through the play store). The app is completely free and open sourced. All that I ask is you rate the app if you like it and give me feedback if there are issues so I can improve it :).

Alongside the release builds, there are automatic builds which are generated with each commit. Use this at your own discretion.
    Try this test release.

Everything should be fixed here. In the future, I will try to set up a download manager within the app so updates are fetched automatically