Future Recovery Images

Search This thread

matt6gsr

Sep 19, 2009
Stockport
A friend of mine has a Samsung Galaxy and he mentioned to me that their latest recovery image has the ability to back-up/restore all google apps to the sd card. When you purchased your Hero, you purchased the google apps so are intitled to make back-ups. This obviously helps with regards to future custom ROMS so the dev doesnt need to include them on their ROMS so they wont get any nasty letters off google, then when you've flashed your new ROM you just restore your G apps and everythings fine and dandy.
I was wondering if this is something our devs were looking into or are already on it?

If there's already a post on this I apoligise, I had a quick look

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
You don't need a recovery image for this - there are apps in the Market (e.g. AppManager) which allow you to backup and restore your applications to SD card and this includes the Google apps.

Regards,

Dave

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
Marginally easier, but not enough to worry me personally. If custom ROMs came with an AppManager preinstalled, the difference would be even smaller.

However, it certainly can't hurt to have it in the Hero recovery image! I'd suggest firing off a PM to Amon_Ra to see if he could add it to his recovery image. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=561124

Regards,

Dave

matt6gsr

Sep 19, 2009
Stockport
Cheers Dave, im quite new to all this, it just seemed easy from a beginners point of view
Nandroid back-up, g app back-up, flash new rom, restore g apps

Having never used app manager to back up apps, it didnt cross my mind tbh

salmanbodla

Sep 10, 2009
A friend of mine has a Samsung Galaxy and he mentioned to me that their latest recovery image has the ability to back-up/restore all google apps to the sd card. When you purchased your Hero, you purchased the google apps so are intitled to make back-ups. This obviously helps with regards to future custom ROMS so the dev doesnt need to include them on their ROMS so they wont get any nasty letters off google, then when you've flashed your new ROM you just restore your G apps and everythings fine and dandy.
I was wondering if this is something our devs were looking into or are already on it?

If there's already a post on this I apoligise, I had a quick look

+1 on that. I looked at the recovery image you posted a link to and it has a lot more functionality like enable/disable root etc, as well as G-app backup and restore. It would be really nice to have something like that for the Hero too.

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
Yes, I know, but the post was specifically related to the preinstalled Google apps. The recovery image listed has an option to backup Google apps.

You don't really need to backup protected apps anyway, because they are almost always paid apps and therefore permanently linking to the Gmail account you use for the market. In addition, if you are rooted, you can copy the apks off manually anyway.

Regards,

Dave