Model: Lenovo CD-24501F
Lenovo CD-24501F 1G+8GGRW-CA

CPU MediaTek * MT81675
Display 3.97 inch 480*800 WVGA IPS
Memory LP DDR3 1GB
WLAN 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC+BT5.0
OS Android things w/ Google Assistant
Battery No Battery

After setting it up and trying it for a few days I looked around online and I don't see much specifically about this device and if it can be modified or accessed in unconventional ways. can we root it? I would love to be able to cast to it youtube etc. HDMI out anyone? Has anyone else tinkered with it yet? The '1G+8G' marking on the box seems to suggest it has a 1GB of flash presuming to be for the android things OS and another 8GB of flash for apps or media or caches?

Here is details from the Google Home App:
System Firmware Version: OIMF.191015.004
Cast Firmware Verstion: 1.42.180336
Google Assistant Smart Clock application version: 6.27.8+prod.1.1.0.5961405
Language: English (Canada)
Country Code: CA
IP Address: 192.168.1.100

Info from the foot on the bottom (SN obfuscated):
Lenovo Smart Clock Model: Lenovo CD-24501F
Manufactured for Lenovo PC HK Limited Factory ID: LCHZ
FCC ID: O57CD24501F IC: 10407A-CD24501F Made in China
CAN ICES-3 (B)/NMB-3(B) S/N: ########-## Mfg: 2019-10-30

Here is NMAP of its ip address:
8008/tcp open http
8009/tcp open ajp13
8443/tcp open https-alt
9000/tcp open cslistener
10001/tcp open scp-config

The price was pretty low, $50CAD at best buy, I cant wait to see what people can do to hack it. Other smart displays seem to have USB/ADB/Fastboot connections, I havnt found one on this device yet.

Last edited:
We haven't hacked any google assistant devices yet that I know off, in fact, I dont think we even hacked android things yet. I am sure there is somebody that is trying to hack android things. Btw, youtube can be watched on the clock, by going to something like the weather page > taping weather.com > going to the menu > download app, clicking on the download on the app store logo, going to the menu, support, go to apple support youtube channel, taping the YouTube icon. It's only in 480p, I tried it, I would rather watch on my phone or tablet, also the video will stop and the clock will go back to home if you wait to long without touching the screen or wake up the google assistant. Other than that. Playback is smooth.

---------- Post added at 04:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

Hi, I bought a Lenovo Smart Clock with the google assistant,
Here are some details from the box:

After setting it up and trying it for a few days I looked around online and I don't see much specifically about this device and if it can be modified or accessed in unconventional ways. can we root it? I would love to be able to cast to it youtube etc. HDMI out anyone? Has anyone else tinkered with it yet? The '1G+8G' marking on the box seems to suggest it has a 1GB of flash presuming to be for the android things OS and another 8GB of flash for apps or media or caches?

The price was pretty low, $50CAD at best buy, I cant wait to see what people can do to hack it. Other smart displays seem to have USB/ADB/Fastboot connections, I havnt found one on this device yet.
I plugged in an android device to the clock, and it came up with some message, I dont remember what itsaid, it was either for adb debugging or transferring files over usb. I think it was transfering files over usb. The usb port does allow data transfer. Plugging in a USB mouse will make a mouse show up and can move for example.

TheRookie_

Mar 24, 2020
It probably isn't much but you can go to ip.of.smart.clock:8008/setup/eureka_info in a web browser to view the basic info of the device

Reactions: cyberboy_sj

schmappel

May 17, 2010
Apparently it's possible to plug in a keyboard and/or mouse to it via the USB port on the back (a cursor will appear).

Just got one of these myself today. Best Buy had em for 40 bucks. Quite the awesome little thing. I'm really surprised I can't find much for it.

I'll see if maybe I can buy a second one to purposely "break" (just in case), and see if I can get anything working on it. The little screen is good quality and has great sound. Would be cool for a mini emulation station of some kind

Update: Realized mine doesn't have the usb-c port under the rubber feet like other's have stated here its supposed to. Really don't wanna tear into the carpeting around it. I have the exact same model as first post

Plugging in a usb keyboard works for typing

update 2: navigated my way to youtube and tried downloading an apk from a direct link, downloads don't work period

update 3: can not get device recognized by a pc via plugging in USB port on the back to a USB-C port on my laptop, also tried USB-A to USB-A, no results

Update 4 lol: Unlocked the bootloader, had to have device manager search online for the driver, but it found it and installed it just fine. to unlock the bootloader, simply type
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock

Last edited:
Reactions: maikonfire

gussir

May 29, 2020
Update 4 lol: Unlocked the bootloader, had to have device manager search online for the driver, but it found it and installed it just fine. to unlock the bootloader, simply type
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock

Hello KaptinBoxxi,
How did you manage to unlock the bootloader, did you use ADB on computer via USB? or directly via a pluged in keyboard?
I'm a bit new to all of those types of hack but I'm very interested in getting into that since this device is small, cheap, good quality and could be a perfect smart display if there was any abilities to extend the frontend to better use cases.
Thanks

Hello KaptinBoxxi,
How did you manage to unlock the bootloader, did you use ADB on computer via USB? or directly via a pluged in keyboard?
I'm a bit new to all of those types of hack but I'm very interested in getting into that since this device is small, cheap, good quality and could be a perfect smart display if there was any abilities to extend the frontend to better use cases.
Thanks

Fastboot via computer. Although, if this is the first device you're picking up, I'd recommend it not be. No one's really done much with cracking/hacking Android Things (the version of Android that runs on this) as it isn't a full version of android. Its heavily stripped down. Grab an old phone that has a ton of support for modding/hacking but isn't exactly the easiest and do that. I'd recommend a Sprint variant of the HTC One M7 if you want a real challenge. I had to find my own custom method to S-OFF the device, unlock the bootloader, then ROM it and root it as no tutorials worked that were currently up and I wasn't willing to pay to unlock it. If that sounds a little too high end for now, get something like an unlock Galaxy S4 or Verizon Galaxy S5 and hope its a Toshiba model so you can unlock the bootloader

gussir

May 29, 2020
Fastboot via computer. Although, if this is the first device you're picking up, I'd recommend it not be. No one's really done much with cracking/hacking Android Things (the version of Android that runs on this) as it isn't a full version of android. Its heavily stripped down. Grab an old phone that has a ton of support for modding/hacking but isn't exactly the easiest and do that. I'd recommend a Sprint variant of the HTC One M7 if you want a real challenge. I had to find my own custom method to S-OFF the device, unlock the bootloader, then ROM it and root it as no tutorials worked that were currently up and I wasn't willing to pay to unlock it. If that sounds a little too high end for now, get something like an unlock Galaxy S4 or Verizon Galaxy S5 and hope its a Toshiba model so you can unlock the bootloader

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I'll start on with something easier and will definitively follow along with this thread to see how the hacking of this device is evolving. have a good day :)

-gloim-

Apr 5, 2016
Mainz
Just got one of these myself today. Best Buy had em for 40 bucks. Quite the awesome little thing. I'm really surprised I can't find much for it.

I'll see if maybe I can buy a second one to purposely "break" (just in case), and see if I can get anything working on it. The little screen is good quality and has great sound. Would be cool for a mini emulation station of some kind

Update: Realized mine doesn't have the usb-c port under the rubber feet like other's have stated here its supposed to. Really don't wanna tear into the carpeting around it. I have the exact same model as first post

Plugging in a usb keyboard works for typing

update 2: navigated my way to youtube and tried downloading an apk from a direct link, downloads don't work period

update 3: can not get device recognized by a pc via plugging in USB port on the back to a USB-C port on my laptop, also tried USB-A to USB-A, no results

Code:
fastboot flashing unlock

Were you able to use adb?
I found a deal on this device and am debating if I should buy it. The thing is, I wanna run Spotify on it without voice commands. ;D

-gloim-

Apr 5, 2016
Mainz
You can use a Python Library called Pychromecast to remotely play media on it.

Thank you for the recommendation. I actually meant that I want to control the music from the screen, though. : )

Installing Spotify should probably be possible if adb is working. But, I would still need to figure out some way to launch Spotify without opening the app over adb every time.

Reactions: maikonfire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I bought a Lenovo Smart Clock with the google assistant,
    Here are some details from the box:
    Wifi Hemp Grey 1G+8G
    Lenovo Smart Clock
    Model: Lenovo CD-24501F
    Lenovo CD-24501F 1G+8GGRW-CA

CPU MediaTek * MT81675
    Display 3.97 inch 480*800 WVGA IPS
    Memory LP DDR3 1GB
    WLAN 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC+BT5.0
    OS Android things w/ Google Assistant
    Battery No Battery

System Firmware Version: OIMF.191015.004
    Cast Firmware Verstion: 1.42.180336
    Google Assistant Smart Clock application version: 6.27.8+prod.1.1.0.5961405
    Language: English (Canada)
    Country Code: CA
    IP Address: 192.168.1.100

Lenovo Smart Clock Model: Lenovo CD-24501F
    Manufactured for Lenovo PC HK Limited Factory ID: LCHZ
    FCC ID: O57CD24501F IC: 10407A-CD24501F Made in China
    CAN ICES-3 (B)/NMB-3(B) S/N: ########-## Mfg: 2019-10-30

8008/tcp open http
    8009/tcp open ajp13
    8443/tcp open https-alt
    9000/tcp open cslistener
    10001/tcp open scp-config

Hello KaptinBoxxi,
    Thanks

I too would like to see some custom stuff on this cool little clock.
    Open smartclock

Hi,
    Does anyone know how to open this smartclock thanks.
    Regards
    Bob