Any chance of AW 2.0 being ported to the Gear Live?

Search This thread
G

GuestK00456

Since there's no official support for the Gear Live with Android Wear 2.0, will there be any possibility of getting a 2.0 ROM modded for this watch?

Reactions: kamranhaiderjanjua

UltimaXtreme

Dec 17, 2013
www.ultimaxtreme.tech
Samsung Gear Live is still receiving the security updates. Build M1D64T is on mine right now, a December 1 update.

To see it not getting the 2.0 treatment, when Samsung is no longer managing the Gear Live (remember, Google runs the gamut on OS releases for the Wear platform), is a shame. It fits all the specifications that most other Wear devices have that ARE getting updated.
In fact, the one device I can equate the Gear Live to is the Asus ZenWatch 2, which is slated for the February 9 release date.

SD400, 512MB RAM, 4GB storage, 320x320 OLED, 300mAh battery, it is 100% in range of the specifications. Yet that Samsung gave up on it means the death knell, that only emphasizes that Google only supports the relevant. I'm not shocked that the LG G Watch won't be updated, but the G Watch R will be... Is just strange, when specs-wise, it's the same.

Google's very strange about how they manage their platform. I'm hopeful we see some independent work on it. I can give or take the heart rate sensor if it means the device remains on my wrist. Any sacrifices that keep this device as my reliable companion should be worth it.

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aligatro2010

May 30, 2010
Samsung Gear Live is still receiving the security updates. Build M1D64T is on mine right now, a December 1 update.

What's even more sad is that other watches with the exact same CPU will get their updates, but not our watch. Maybe its possible to re-use firmware from those other watches, and have a custom kernel with LCD, sensors compiled in. Maybe all that is needed is a compiled kernel module with missing drivers.

bjornj

Nov 25, 2010
I am not that experienced in Android but I have experience in software developing... Any chance we could get this to work?

Reactions: phoenixg36

aligatro2010

May 30, 2010
I can try to port it. But i need a way to extract all the files from lg g watch port and from our samsung. If there are persons that can help me. I can start to work.

You can use TWRP loaded from fastboot into memory.(don't flash it to the watch) And then use dd command to make a binary backup of the system partition. Then transfer that binary file to your pc using ADB.

On your pc you need to unpack/mount the binary image somehow. If I recall our watch was switched to squashfs filesystem. What it means is that you have to do special steps to unpack it as it works sort of like an archive that unpacks during boot.

I don't have the link for the latest OTA, but this one is almost the latest. You can try to play with system.new.dat instead of extracting files directly from your watch.

https://android.googleapis.com/pack...5e909bdec.signed-signed-sprat-ota-2576000.zip

Reactions: spiramedia
You can use TWRP loaded from fastboot into memory.(don't flash it to the watch) And then use dd command to make a binary backup of the system partition. Then transfer that binary file to your pc using ADB.

On your pc you need to unpack/mount the binary image somehow. If I recall our watch was switched to squashfs filesystem. What it means is that you have to do special steps to unpack it as it works sort of like an archive that unpacks during boot.

I don't have the link for the latest OTA, but this one is almost the latest. You can try to play with system.new.dat instead of extracting files directly from your watch.

https://android.googleapis.com/pack...5e909bdec.signed-signed-sprat-ota-2576000.zip

Ok. Starting saturday the port.

Reactions: ProjectPatatoe

Mundoo

Sep 15, 2015
Would love to give this a try too.

There is a ray of hope for this device after all!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am fairly experienced with Android source, if someone wants to work on this with me I would love to get this started.
    G
    GuestK00456
    Since there's no official support for the Gear Live with Android Wear 2.0, will there be any possibility of getting a 2.0 ROM modded for this watch?
    There is always a possibility, but its unlikely that anyone will port it.
    I am not that experienced in Android but I have experience in software developing... Any chance we could get this to work?
    I can try to port it. But i need a way to extract all the files from lg g watch port and from our samsung. If there are persons that can help me. I can start to work.