[AOSP] ICS Build for Verizon 3G/4G XOOM

Search This thread

xxspark89xx

Alright, so here is a taste of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) for the VERIZON Motorola 3G/4G XOOM. This build version number is IML74K.

This is a "out of box" build of the freshly released AOSP sources from Google. This is a "Stingray" configured build for the 3G/4G Verizon U.S. XOOM. NOT to be confused with "Wingray" - the WiFi specific build.

One ISSUE: No 3G/4G at the moment on my end. I think this is because the build called for an updated baseband version:

These are my current versions on my XOOM:
3G-Baseband: CDMA_N_03.1A.54P
4G-Baseband: LTEDC_U_05.19.07

The build asks for these versions:
3G-Baseband: CDMA_N_03.1A.5CPS
4G-Baseband: LTEDC_U_07.19.00

Update 1: Re-built as flash-able zip (download link below). Still has 3G/4G issue - appears to not recognize the radio. Still trying to find clarification on issue.

I do not know where to get these updated basebands, but when we can get ahold of them, this just might work.

BUT, I was able to flash this build to my Verizon 4G XOOM and it works nicely from what I can see from initial testing.

What is working: (That I can tell so far)
- Wi-Fi
- Browser
- Some report issues with GPS
- Gapps (to an extent, some minor issues with market, etc.)

What is not working:
-3G/4G - baseband issue?
-Camera*
-HDMI*
-HD Video Playback?
*Need binaries from Moto

Updated: 17 Dec 2011: 2216

======> DIRECTIONS <======

Disclaimer: For heaven's sakes, FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK!

The link below is a compressed folder containing FASTBOOT images. You MUST use fastboot to flash these to your Motorola XOOM.

FASTBOOT Install:

- Extract image files from .zip

Then in cmd, booted into bootloader:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

Download FASTBOOT Files:

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?0vvjzg1dvivtre7
NOTE: Do not FLASH zip file in bootloader (must extract .img files first!) Also, not compatible with CWM (use link below for CWM)

CWM ZIP Install:

- Enter CWM Recovery (Tested on Tiamat version)
- Mounts & Storage >> Mount USB
- Copy .zip to SD Card
- Go back to CWM menu >> Install from sd card >> choose zip from SD card
- After it installs, perform a wipe/reset in CWM, then reboot.

Download CWM zip File:

WARNING: Will replace your recovery image with default recovery! (Not sure how to disable this yet)

Link: <ON HOLD>

Please NOTE: This is my first build so for those who want a taste of ICS on their 4G XOOMs, have at it! This should suffice until a well-experienced developer works out the kinks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2158596

Can i flash this on my MZ601?

I've flashed the WiFi version to my 3G MZ601, it works great (although without 3G..) and I think you would be better off with that version - this one is made for the US 3G/4G Verizon model, and so I think there might be some screw-ups if you flash this ROM on a Euro-model Xoom :)

MasterYety

Jan 23, 2009
Allright, at first glance it seems to be working fine for my MZ601. But haven't tried 3G until now. And as to be expected, the camera isn't working as well... ;)
But the rest is really blazing fast!

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
One ISSUE: No 3G/4G at the moment on my end. I think this is because the build called for an updated baseband version:

I do not know where to get these updated basebands, but when we can get ahold of them, this just might work.
Yeah, I just built and flashed and having the same issue. Ah well, I'm sure it'll turn up somewhere. I need connectivity though, so I'm going to have to Nandroid back for now.

(... even though I wonder if I check out the RIL layer from HLK75F if that'll get us running?)

xangma

May 15, 2008
Calendar sync doesn't work :-( thanks for your hard work by the way. This is brilliant.

exstatica

Dec 6, 2004
West Coast
I was going to wait until the official release so I've been running stock for a while now, unrooted. Now that this has happened I'm rooting, and its nearly 3:30 in the morning, but I'm too excited haha.

Thanks!

MasterYety

Jan 23, 2009
I've been trying to get root by installing an su-binary.zip via cwm. But I think, the current binary doesn't work with ICS 4.0.3.
There's another user on the chainsdd-website, using the NexusS with 4.0.3, complaining, that the current binary refuses to work. Have a look at the bottom: androidsu (dot) com/superuser/ (I'm currently not allowed to post outside links, sorry. )

Edit:
I just had a look at my logcat:
E/su ( 2809): sudb - Opening database
E/su ( 2809): sudb - Database opened
E/su ( 2809): sudb - Database closed
E/ActivityManager( 152): Activity Manager Crash
E/ActivityManager( 152): java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown URI type: 7
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.net.Uri$1.createFromParcel(Uri.java:1734)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.net.Uri$1.createFromParcel(Uri.java:1723)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.content.Intent.readFromParcel(Intent.java:6131)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.content.Intent.<init>(Intent.java:6126)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.content.Intent.readFromParcel(Intent.java:6153)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.content.Intent$1.createFromParcel(Intent.java:6117)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.content.Intent$1.createFromParcel(Intent.java:6115)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.app.ActivityManagerNative.onTransact(ActivityManagerNative.java:298)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at com.android.server.am.ActivityManagerService.onTransact(ActivityManagerService.java:1545)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:338)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.run(Native Method)

Hm... For this I would have to stick deeper into the source of the superuser.apk I think: https://github.com/ChainsDD/

Last edited:

teerapong.g

Jan 23, 2008
Bangkok
I test on mz601 smooth and I wifi ok. It great on browser very fast on ics
Market ok
Gmail ok
Game for tegra nvidia dungeon defenders ok look so fast os

Last edited:

klaus27

Aug 2, 2009
I've been trying to get root by installing an su-binary.zip via cwm. But I think, the current binary doesn't work with ICS 4.0.3.
There's another user on the chainsdd-website, using the NexusS with 4.0.3, complaining, that the current binary refuses to work. Have a look at the bottom: androidsu (dot) com/superuser/ (I'm currently not allowed to post outside links, sorry. )

Edit:
I just had a look at my logcat:
E/su ( 2809): sudb - Opening database
E/su ( 2809): sudb - Database opened
E/su ( 2809): sudb - Database closed
E/ActivityManager( 152): Activity Manager Crash
E/ActivityManager( 152): java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown URI type: 7
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.net.Uri$1.createFromParcel(Uri.java:1734)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.net.Uri$1.createFromParcel(Uri.java:1723)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.content.Intent.readFromParcel(Intent.java:6131)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.content.Intent.readFromParcel(Intent.java:6153)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.content.Intent$1.createFromParcel(Intent.java:6117)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.content.Intent$1.createFromParcel(Intent.java:6115)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.app.ActivityManagerNative.onTransact(ActivityManagerNative.java:298)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at com.android.server.am.ActivityManagerService.onTransact(ActivityManagerService.java:1545)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:338)
E/ActivityManager( 152): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.run(Native Method)

Hm... For this I would have to stick deeper into the source of the superuser.apk I think: https://github.com/ChainsDD/

https://gist.github.com/1489990

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright, so here is a taste of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) for the VERIZON Motorola 3G/4G XOOM. This build version number is IML74K.

This is a "out of box" build of the freshly released AOSP sources from Google. This is a "Stingray" configured build for the 3G/4G Verizon U.S. XOOM. NOT to be confused with "Wingray" - the WiFi specific build.

Update 1: Re-built as flash-able zip (download link below). Still has 3G/4G issue - appears to not recognize the radio. Still trying to find clarification on issue.

BUT, I was able to flash this build to my Verizon 4G XOOM and it works nicely from what I can see from initial testing.

What is working: (That I can tell so far)
    - Wi-Fi
    - Browser
    - Some report issues with GPS
    - Gapps (to an extent, some minor issues with market, etc.)

What is not working:
    -3G/4G - baseband issue?
    -Camera*
    -HDMI*
    -HD Video Playback?
    *Need binaries from Moto

Updated: 17 Dec 2011: 2216

======> DIRECTIONS <======

Disclaimer: For heaven's sakes, FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK!

The link below is a compressed folder containing FASTBOOT images. You MUST use fastboot to flash these to your Motorola XOOM.

FASTBOOT Install:

- Extract image files from .zip

Then in cmd, booted into bootloader:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot -w
    fastboot reboot

Download FASTBOOT Files:

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?0vvjzg1dvivtre7
    NOTE: Do not FLASH zip file in bootloader (must extract .img files first!) Also, not compatible with CWM (use link below for CWM)

CWM ZIP Install:

- Enter CWM Recovery (Tested on Tiamat version)
    - Mounts & Storage >> Mount USB
    - Copy .zip to SD Card
    - Go back to CWM menu >> Install from sd card >> choose zip from SD card
    - After it installs, perform a wipe/reset in CWM, then reboot.

Download CWM zip File:

WARNING: Will replace your recovery image with default recovery! (Not sure how to disable this yet)

Link: <ON HOLD>

Please NOTE: This is my first build so for those who want a taste of ICS on their 4G XOOMs, have at it! This should suffice until a well-experienced developer works out the kinks.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S67I9Q0L

Who wants root? I can confirm this works on my wifi xoom. I'm restoring from Titanium right now. I've heard to not update the binary tho.

Sent from my Full Android on Wingray using xda premium
    Update:

Okay everyone, my current task as of right now is working on getting 3G/4G radios working and connecting successfully with this ICS build. Once that is done, then I can work on other things.

I must mention again, I am pretty new to this. The most I've ever done in the past was flash images and so forth. So please forgive my ignorance in trying to figure out how to get this to work. (I have an EE/CE degree, so I know a few things and can figure out some things pretty easily - BUT, I lack the experience of other Devs that have been working with Linux and Android for a longggg time.)

Status Update:
    With that said, here is what I've done so far to get to where I am now:

With the build that is listed in the OP, the 3g/4g radio did not work. This was easily determined by checking the status in settings. Baseband version, mobile network state, etc. were all listed as unknown. I was also unable to talk to the radio through "radiooptions" to activate per google's instructions.

What I tried: I found a bunch of ____ril.so files in the latest Tiamat 4G ROM (thank you BRD), and I copied and replaced those files over into the ICS build.

Result: The radio is recognized. Shows signal strength, network mode, baseband versions, etc. I am able to talk to the radio through radiooptions in the adb shell. I am even able to place a call to my cell phone! BUT, when I attempt to use *22899 to activate (per google's instructions), I'm able to hear the end-call sound that the "typical HC" activation would make after about 20-30 seconds. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck at "No Internet Connection".

For those of you who want to check this out on your XOOM, here is the CWM flashable .zip:

Link Here (ONLY use if you have the ability to re-flash CWM recovery because this zip will replace with stock recovery.)

If anyone wants to provide any advice and or methods, etc. feel free - I'm all ears to pinpointing this issue and fixing it.
    So I've got the Vzw 3G Xoom running the newest Tiamat 2.3.0 build. If I flash the fast boot files to give this a shot, will I still have the recovery that came with Tiamat? Or does this include a recovery?

This thread title should have had at least 10 exclamation points in it, by the way!

As of right now, my download file includes only a system.img and boot.img files. I didn't include a recovery.img file because the stock recovery is boring. (I am able to successfully have Tiamat's CWM recovery installed with ICS. Haven't tested nandroids or anything though.

However, I was able to successfully switch back to Tiamat's ROM (4G/LTE) version simply by installing the zip I already had on the SD card through Tiamat's CWM recovery.

UPDATE: Initiated another build, this time with kernel sources added and as a .zip file. Lets see how this goes. :) Will update OP as soon as I have any success.
    What are some changes we could expect to see in the upcoming build?

I've added the kernel sources provided today by google, rebuilding as a flashable zip as well to see if this may fix issues or not.

how about removing the baseband checks, as JBQ says at the bottom of that post?

The baseband "checks" were simple check requirements used when choosing to use fastboot flashall.

For example, I'd boot into the bootloader, and type: fastboot flashall -w

It would begin to check bootloader version, baseband version, etc. At the baseband check, the mismatch would case the "flash" to fail. So this issue prevented me from being able to flash the ICS images all together at once.

However, I was able to bypass this by already performing those directions as mentioned above; remove baseband check, OR flash images manually.

Those baseband checks are to make sure you have the latest versions required for this ICS source. Unfortunately, we don't have access yet to those baseband versions - as far as I can find anyway.