[Dev] AOSP Gingerbread

Search This thread

SubnetMask

Nov 28, 2010
St Louis, MO
Google Pixel 5
Very very difficult considering it took a team of developers a few months on the EVO to get 4G working with a AOSP kernel. I guess it will depend on how Samsung releases the code, they'll probably not release the 4g code because it doesn't fall under the GPL. If they were to release the drivers as modules that could be included in a kernel, that would be great, but I doubt they'd do that either.

In other words... don't hold your breath...

-Daryel

Only problem there is the EVO and Epic have VERY different WiMax radios. From everything I've heard, the Epic's radio follows Linux standard, whereas the EVO's does not, making the WiMax radio in the Epic much easier to get functioning than the EVO's.

schnowdapowda

Jun 7, 2010
Dallas, TX Yaurdme?
Only problem there is the EVO and Epic have VERY different WiMax radios. From everything I've heard, the Epic's radio follows Linux standard, whereas the EVO's does not, making the WiMax radio in the Epic much easier to get functioning than the EVO's.

Well I hope so.. do you have a source on that? Id love to read up on the differences.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
the evo wimax was filled with proprietary bits, and even then it was reversed and still using htc stuff.

whats the status on this? as i would imagine unless your building the kernel against current cm6 source your not going to get a whole lot farther then a kernel panic... but thats just my theory on it all

msponsler

Sep 1, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
The reason it took the CM team so long is because they developed their own drivers from the ground up. I'm willing to bet that it's much easier to rip the drivers out of the kernel we already have than to replicate the work that the CM team did.
The GPL licensing is *why* the CM team developed their own drivers; not because its impossible to get Samsung's code, but because doing so would have violated the licensing terms of Samsung's code and of Cyanogenmod.

AOSP Gingerbread != the kernel.

Gingerbread (android in general basically) is the set of programs, daemons, etc... that sit in user space and interact with the kernel, that sits in kernel space.

You wouldn't necessarily need 2.6.35 (kernel on nexus s gingerbread) to run gingerbread. Obviously, 2.6.35 would have the best features and optimizations for Gingerbread -- since it was written for 2.6.35. But you could technically use 2.6.29 and on. As long as gingerbread does not make any specific system calls into kernel space that are only supported with 2.6.35 and onward.

The specific module's source files for the SGX530 video, Qualcomm QSC6085, etc... are included with samsung's 2.6.29 kernel source. I'm trying to compile them with 2.6.36, and will try with 2.6.35 as well. Modules can be a lot trickier, as they usually are a lot more tailored for a specific kernel. Especially if they are already compiled.

A couple of avenues that I am taking:
-Attempt to compile epic 4g's modules with 2.6.36, 2.6.35, and on backward.
-I re-compiled samsung's 2.6.29 kernel with the driver modules and ext4, etc... I'm going to attempt to run gingerbread off that, and watch how quickly it blows up...
-I'm going to look at other kernel's, like noobnl's kernel he put in cyanogenmod. It's 2.6.32, and it has video / wifi / CDMA radio / etc.. in it. I need to get ahold of him and figure out a) what source is he using -- from samsung, kernel.org, etc... and what modules he's using. b) his .config file for the kernel.
I'm going to take the same avenue with Dameon87 about his compiled kernel's for epic 4g froyo. As well as looking toward the manufacturer for information about their kernel drivers for their hardware.

Using 2.6.35 modules from the nexus s kernel wouldn't be too bad for things like the camera, wifi, video, etc... but WOULD be a problem with the CDMA radio / GPS since they are different obviously (CDMA vs. HSPA+).

I've got a bunch of options and ideas I'm throwing around in my head. Feel free to contribute your thoughts / concerns / ideas. I'm not trying to do this in the dark and say "look what I did on my own!" if / when I get any type of usable progress. It's Linux, and it's a community effort :)

With that said, I will work diligently on this as much as possible. Between work (and if you've ever been a Sys Admin, you know that you're never really "off the clock"), my wife, my addictive StarCraft II habit, the gym, and every Thursday happy hour... I'm focused on this 100%!!!

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
the evo wimax was filled with proprietary bits, and even then it was reversed and still using htc stuff.

whats the status on this? as i would imagine unless your building the kernel against current cm6 source your not going to get a whole lot farther then a kernel panic... but thats just my theory on it all

Kernel panic!

10rk3dj.gif

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
AOSP Gingerbread != the kernel.

Gingerbread (android in general basically) is the set of programs, daemons, etc... that sit in user space and interact with the kernel, that sits in kernel space.

You wouldn't necessarily need 2.6.35 (kernel on nexus s gingerbread) to run gingerbread. Obviously, 2.6.35 would have the best features and optimizations for Gingerbread -- since it was written for 2.6.35. But you could technically use 2.6.29 and on. As long as gingerbread does not make any specific system calls into kernel space that are only supported with 2.6.35 and onward.

The specific module's source files for the SGX530 video, Qualcomm QSC6085, etc... are included with samsung's 2.6.29 kernel source. I'm trying to compile them with 2.6.36, and will try with 2.6.35 as well. Modules can be a lot trickier, as they usually are a lot more tailored for a specific kernel. Especially if they are already compiled.

A couple of avenues that I am taking:
-Attempt to compile epic 4g's modules with 2.6.36, 2.6.35, and on backward.
-I re-compiled samsung's 2.6.29 kernel with the driver modules and ext4, etc... I'm going to attempt to run gingerbread off that, and watch how quickly it blows up...
-I'm going to look at other kernel's, like noobnl's kernel he put in cyanogenmod. It's 2.6.32, and it has video / wifi / CDMA radio / etc.. in it. I need to get ahold of him and figure out a) what source is he using -- from samsung, kernel.org, etc... and what modules he's using. b) his .config file for the kernel.
I'm going to take the same avenue with Dameon87 about his compiled kernel's for epic 4g froyo. As well as looking toward the manufacturer for information about their kernel drivers for their hardware.

Using 2.6.35 modules from the nexus s kernel wouldn't be too bad for things like the camera, wifi, video, etc... but WOULD be a problem with the CDMA radio / GPS since they are different obviously (CDMA vs. HSPA+).

I've got a bunch of options and ideas I'm throwing around in my head. Feel free to contribute your thoughts / concerns / ideas. I'm not trying to do this in the dark and say "look what I did on my own!" if / when I get any type of usable progress. It's Linux, and it's a community effort :)

With that said, I will work diligently on this as much as possible. Between work (and if you've ever been a Sys Admin, you know that you're never really "off the clock"), my wife, my addictive StarCraft II habit, the gym, and every Thursday happy hour... I'm focused on this 100%!!!

not to be a **** but where did you hear that it has hspa+? :p even google seems to be convinced its just regular umts

gophergun

Feb 18, 2008

Wouldn't the CM6 Epic kernel source be available on his Github? https://github.com/noobnl

(Dunno if it's actually on there, but it might save some trouble.)

plapczyn

Retired Recognized Developer
I think its time all the epic devs jumped onboard with this and all collaborate as a team, if everyone were to work on this together I honestly believe it could get done

Sent from my Epic 4g

I'm in. Not super familiar with kernel building, but I am very familiar with embedded code development, cross-compiling, OSEK, debugging, configuration management, issue reporting etc, make-support, and flash bootloaders.

DevinXtreme

Apr 10, 2010

As far as I know, all he did was take the DK28 kernel, ripped out the initramfs, made some changes to point to various things, and repacked the zImage. We still don't have the source.

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
My golden retriever, Rupert, told me.

My black lab, Nibbler, also concurred. I took their word for it.

Honestly, I just assumed it was HSPA+. It's CDMA and not compatible with Sprint's network, which is what matters.

uhh ok well i think you might have soem things mixed up so ill try to give teh laymans of it

GSM:
worldwide standard
uses analog (1G)
edge (akin to dialup data)
3g (umts/wcdma)
Hspa+ (4g)

CDMA:
more americanized standard
analog (1g)
cdmaone (dialup/digital version of cdma)
evdo (3g)
4g (LTE/wimax)

so as you see the nexus s is not compatblie with any cdma carriers, in fact its barely compatble with ATT and tmobile.. (well i mean it "works" on either but tmo gets 3g data only and att i think gets edge)

Reactions: violinbf

smoothone

May 7, 2007
Fort Lauderdale

LOL, sound like you have a lot of free time, jk. Thanks for your efforts!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

sweepingzero

Dec 7, 2010
Chicago
Samsung should just release whatever they have and jut let the devs fix it. I wouldn't be surprised if 5 people here could et it up and running faster than they could.

Magic Oreo

Nov 7, 2010
Once cm6 is out of beta and cm7 is released im guessing gingerbread isnt to far away.

Anyways don't take my word or anything im no dev.

But i 100% support this more devs the better. Keep up the work.

msponsler

Sep 1, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
uhh ok well i think you might have soem things mixed up so ill try to give teh laymans of it

GSM:
worldwide standard
uses analog (1G)
3g (umts/wcdma)
Hspa+ (4g)

CDMA:
analog (1g)
evdo (3g)
4g (LTE/wimax)

so as you see the nexus s is not compatblie with any cdma carriers, in fact its barely compatble with ATT and tmobile.. (well i mean it "works" on either but tmo gets 3g data only and att i think gets edge)

Why would tmobile / samsung release the nexus s non-hspa+ ??

I get that nexus S isn't cdma compatible. My point was, you could get a nexus s rom to run on the epic -- you just won't have a working 3G radio.

But, the compiled kernel modules for the video, wifi, and such (not radio) should be portable to the epic.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah, I know...let's get a stable Froyo first.

But...

I pulled the 2.3.1 (gingerbread) source, and it's currently building. I hit a couple of snags, but I'm off and running so far.

I've also compiled the latest 2.6.36 kernel -- compiled, not tested! Don't get excited just yet.

I'm not going to lie, I'm green to android. But I've worked with Linux professionally for 15+ years. I've been compiling kernels since Linus released 2.0 oh so long ago. Building Linux x86 from scratch (go gentoo linux!) is nothing new to me. But android and arm...ehh...bear with me.

So is anyone else trying to do this? I'd like to collaborate and hear about your progress and any problems you've had. No need to try to reinvent wheels or anything.

Step 1 is getting it to boot...
    I have it just about booting(;

Did you build gingerbread from source?

What kernel are you using?

I built a 2.6.36 last night...but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it doesn't do me any good as it is right now.

I've downloaded samsung's kernel source for 2.6.29 and I'm trying to get the modules for the video, radio, etc... to compile with 2.6.36.

The nexus s is using 2.6.35, which is fine when it comes to the video drivers, wifi, and such....but it doesn't do us any good when it comes to 3G because tmobile doesn't use CDMA, so it wouldn't have the same radio kernel modules.

I'm currently running noobnl's cyanogenmod (froyo) on my epic, and that has a 2.6.32.9 kernel. I'll have to take a closer look at how you built that kernel.
    I think its time all the epic devs jumped onboard with this and all collaborate as a team, if everyone were to work on this together I honestly believe it could get done

Sent from my Epic 4g
    My golden retriever, Rupert, told me.

My black lab, Nibbler, also concurred. I took their word for it.

Honestly, I just assumed it was HSPA+. It's CDMA and not compatible with Sprint's network, which is what matters.

GSM:
    worldwide standard
    uses analog (1G)
    3g (umts/wcdma)
    Hspa+ (4g)

CDMA:
    analog (1g)
    evdo (3g)
    4g (LTE/wimax)

This is no easy task and in all honesty, I doubt you will get very far. Some of the proprietary crap for the epic we don't even have di18 source. Also, the ext4 crap in 2.6.29 (di18) is broken. Modules compiled against the kernel will not load, and when compiled in kernel, the kernel will not recogize ext4 partitions. I've tried extensively.
    Anything you get from di18 is likely not going to compile against anything higher than 2.6.29. Those modules we do have source for would require heavy modification to compile against the new kernel.
    Those we do not have source for are not going to load, since the modules were compiled against 2.6.29.
    For google to have went with 2.6.35, likely means they used something included in the release or found reason to upgrade.
    Either way, good luck, but in all honesty, it probably won't happen before we have the grounds for cm7 on the epic.

You also assume that the nexus s uses the same exact hardware as the epic, in which case you would be wrong. There is a diff bluetooth chip, as well as wifi I believe.
    Camera I'm not sure on. Either way, even if you did manage to get a Bootable kernel, you wouldn't get much farther than that.

Not trying to be pessimistic, just trying to be real.
    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I haven't used any of your Roms, so I don't know what kernel rev you use. Do you have any kernel / Samsung module source on got hip I can sift through?

I realize that the chances of success are slim at best, but hey why not give it a shot?

What's the worst that happens? I fail horribly? I can live with that.

Sent from my Samsung-SPH-D700 using XDA App