Delay of Android 4.0 ICS

Search This thread

darth5zaft

Dec 16, 2011
kuala lumpur
Not really disappointed.

I buy the arc at a time when people buy the razr n sammy note. I buy it for it call quality, beauty,sound,camera and screen quality are 2nd to none.

Not for the sake of the latest spec,kernal or software.

tired of waiting. i unlock my bootloader n install some ics rom..its does felt faster.but ram is an issue.and theres lot of bug particularly on gps,3g n wifi.a lot of apps can't run properly on ics.

Sent from my LT18i using XDA

End May or early June for Xperia Arc --> bye bye Sony for me
X10 times are back, at the end it will come in 6 months.
Be ashamed Sony!

I'm pissed because Sony said the want to keep up with updates, at first they did that.
But then they stopped at 2.3.4 and even 120€ 600MHz Samsung devices are on 2.3.6.
Then they said that they won't update the kernel to 3.0 to oush it out faster.
Samsung and HTC did update the kernel to 3.0 and are pushing out 4.0 already!

What do version numbers mean? We have gotten screenshot and panorama photos in GB which is an ics feature. Check pctrb, 5+ firmwares were released.

mhyke13ph

Dec 17, 2010
Baguio City
A month late is better than never.

They are optimizing it further more, for better user experience and bug free and hopefully they will encourage us to upgrade to 4.0 rather than having dilemma choosing 2.3 and 4.0

If we are to choose, I hope they will release 2.3.7 along side with 4.0.3 for Xperia 2011 to their PCC

sco0ter

Jul 19, 2011
I have a xoom and for weeks people have been *****ing about not getting the ics upgrade here in the UK and running about rooting their device then they moaned about the bugs like hdmi not working and some games and apps as well. Now moto have released an update to 4.0.4 for the us market but uk will get this one as the upgrade so those of us that waited didn't have to go through all the bugs and things.

I would rather wait a little while longer and have everything working than Get it now and have it full of bugs or meaning my device didn't work as it should. I'm certain all the ones on here moaning of the delay would be the first ones on moaning of the bugs as well. A no win situation for Sony

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

ics supposed to make arc have less ram or something heard a few bad things hope there not true. as for updates being slow its always going to be that way for android with there being so many devices and carriers its just the way it is.

The beta was pretty bad in terms of ram usage. Apps closed a lot, they might fix that in the release version but I don't think they lied in that post.

im_iceman

Apr 7, 2010
Alsager
End May or early June for Xperia Arc --> bye bye Sony for me
X10 times are back, at the end it will come in 6 months.
Be ashamed Sony!

I'm pissed because Sony said the want to keep up with updates, at first they did that.
But then they stopped at 2.3.4 and even 120€ 600MHz Samsung devices are on 2.3.6.
Then they said that they won't update the kernel to 3.0 to oush it out faster.
Samsung and HTC did update the kernel to 3.0 and are pushing out 4.0 already!

Seriously? It's a couple of months. Get a grip!.. And regarding other, normal users not wanting to flash.. They probably won't even be aware of the OS upgrade!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using XDA Premium HD app

The arc launched with gingerbread which was pretty new from what I remember but it has only ran gingerbread albeit tweaked with updates, but ics will be first totally new os update but it's not going to run that well.so then ark wasn't very future proof as far as os goes, bit disappointed with that but not the end off the world ; )

Sent from my LT15i using XDA

marvvv

Mar 27, 2012
Let's hope they can tweak and polish the overall look and feel of the ICS update. The thing I'm worried about is the user experience, I hope it's smooth enough for daily use!

rec71

Oct 16, 2011
Calne
Let's hope they can tweak and polish the overall look and feel of the ICS update. The thing I'm worried about is the user experience, I hope it's smooth enough for daily use!

They had about 5 weeks since the beta was released till they had it certified. I don't expect any major UI changes but I hope they've improved the performance.

doomed151

Dec 5, 2009
They had about 5 weeks since the beta was released till they had it certified. I don't expect any major UI changes but I hope they've improved the performance.

The UI will probably slightly different (more polished) compared to the beta because there were unskinned parts here and there. Performance wise, it should be at least as smooth as GB.

squalldua

Sep 27, 2011
BDG
The UI will probably slightly different (more polished) compared to the beta because there were unskinned parts here and there. Performance wise, it should be at least as smooth as GB.

the UI should be better then GB, and performance has to be better too.
or else, what the hell have we've been waiting for ? >.<

UI should be at least like xperia S
and performance, should have better memory management *cough*V6 SuperCharger*cough*

Last edited:

rec71

Oct 16, 2011
Calne
the UI should be better then GB, and performance has to be better too.
or else, what the hell have we've been waiting for ? >.<

UI should be at least like xperia S
and performance, should have better memory management *cough*V6 SuperCharger*cough*

The UI will be nothing like the S other than the launcher which is kind of a GB/S hybrid. I don't think we'll have new Xperia S style widgets for example. But we live in hope.

And if GB is anything to go by they won't have any SuperCharger-style memory tweaks and the launcher will suffer from the same reload problem (the official beta was terrible for launcher reloads - thankfully Arconium saved the day for me).

squalldua

Sep 27, 2011
BDG
The UI will be nothing like the S other than the launcher which is kind of a GB/S hybrid. I don't think we'll have new Xperia S style widgets for example. But we live in hope.

And if GB is anything to go by they won't have any SuperCharger-style memory tweaks and the launcher will suffer from the same reload problem (the official beta was terrible for launcher reloads - thankfully Arconium saved the day for me).

you're saying, that we are NOT gonna get the cosmic flow live wallpaper and the new widgets ? and we are going to get the same SE themed launcher like in GB ?

and they don't fix the memory management ?

that's kinda disapointing, to be honest..

rec71

Oct 16, 2011
Calne
you're saying, that we are NOT gonna get the cosmic flow live wallpaper and the new widgets ? and we are going to get the same SE themed launcher like in GB ?

and they don't fix the memory management ?

that's kinda disapointing, to be honest..

That's just what I think. I hope I'm wrong. If there were going to ship the Xperia S widgets and launcher I would of expected this with the beta in case there are issues with these apps under ICS. But they didn't - in fact there were less widgets than you get with GB (they didn't ship the on/off widgets for example even though the GB ones seem to work OK).

They might make some more effort with memory management as ICS uses more RAM but other than giving people the ability to choose which services run I don't think they'll do much more. They don't have a great track record with GB when it comes to launcher reloads, etc.

finbaar

Apr 1, 2011
I couldn’t give a crap about the UI. Just get it out and let the devs loose on it so there is an AOSP style ROM with an over-clockable kernel. I don’t want any Sony bloatware like timescape or there god awful launcher.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh no, please not this again. I had this over at the Asus Transformer thread and some of the comments people left just stunned me. Luckily so far these forums seem much more forgiving! :D

Here's the way I see it, firstly, 2 weeks is nothing. The update is coming, that's grand. 2 weeks wait is fine, you won't even notice.

Secondly, the phones work just fine with GB. There's no big bugs, everything works swimmingly. ICS will bring some tastey new features, and that's great, but I think we should accept a delay for extra features on top of some already pretty brilliant phones.

I can only sit here and hope that the Arc community is more forgiving than the TF forum. Obviously not everyone was bad, but there was a LOT of very angry posts over there, and every single one made me facepalm in the name of extreme first world problems.

I'm looking forward to the update, and I'm sure the wait will fly by :)
    well
    i tried the ICS beta ROMS
    all of them are buggy in terms of gaming performance, almost all games are laggy, random blank screen would show up, etc.
    also all 2011 xperia devices has very few RAM and i feel it's not enough on ICS, even music player+whatsapp would cause the launcher to redraw (even it's supercharged= =).
    so I think Sony has to do more tweaks and programming before they roll out the updates, if they have talented engineer
    and Sony also says ICS “may impact performance in some user scenarios” OMG Sony you should have given the devices more RAM.

but.. end of May to early June.. I am pissed off.

I still don't understand why arc s, ray and neo v can update first.. anyway, i will think these 3 phones are bug-testers :p
    ics supposed to make arc have less ram or something heard a few bad things hope there not true. as for updates being slow its always going to be that way for android with there being so many devices and carriers its just the way it is.