SafeStrap Step By Step How Too Guide

Search This thread

tjrudnitzki

Jan 11, 2014
This is for the Samsung Galaxy S4 running AT&T I337UCUAMF3 ONLY!!!! (It may work on other phones or for other carriers but I don't have other phones by other carriers so I am not sure.)

I have done a lot of research over the last couple of days and have had the luck of being able to piece together different forum posts to get the job done. That being said, I am in no way shape or form taking credit for any of the software that has been developed to make this possible, nor am I taking any credit for the custom ROMs that were made.

That being said: I, nor any of the developers that made the software you are about to use, are responsible in any way for voiding your warrantee…it will be voided if done incorrectly and may still be voided even if you do it right (I don't know as my Knox count was 0x1 before I started).

Step 1: Root the phone…
This can be done using the following instructions (sorry Mac Users…you will have to use Bootcamp and install windows like I did to make it work):
1.Turn on Developer Options
1.a: To do this go to: system settings=>About Device=>Click on Build Number 7 times
1.b: Enter Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging mode
2: Plug Phone into Computer using a Micro-USB cable
3: Use Windows to format your memory card on your phone to exFAT format
4: Download the following file… Root_for_ATTSG4_FM3.rar
5: Use WINRAR or 7zip to extract the files and drag and drop them to your memory card
6: Disconnect phone from your computer
7: Download and install "Terminal Emulator" from the play Store
8: Run the following commands (others have tried this and complained about having a permissions error, but you will see that I have done this another way…by putting SU in front of all these commands you give the phone super user permissions for the running of the script thus removing any permissions errors)
FOR EACH OF THESE STEPS WAIT UNTIL IT SAYS IT IS DONE BEFORE MOVING TO THE NEXT STEP
8.a: su cd /mnt/extSdCard
8.b: su ./pwn
8.c: su ./script.sh
8.d: wait for phone to reboot and use the SU (super user app) Download the new binary and verify using a program like Titanium Backup to verify Root Access.

****Credit for this is to XDA's Very Own jortex****

Step 2: Now that You have a Rooted Device it is time to SafeStrap it

1: Download SafeStrap.apk
2: Plug your phone into your computer
3: Drag and drop Safestrap.apk to your memory card
4: Unplug your phone from your computer
5: Use a file explorer (I recommend ES File explorer) and locate SafeStrap on your extSD card
6: Run the APP (if you do not have third party apps enabled you will get an error, do not worry, click on settings and it will take you to the area needed to authorize unknown sources, Just enable it)
7: The App will give you two options: Choose to install recovery
8: Now comes the big Decision what ROM to run (I used the following forum to decide and chose Gravitron but I will let you decide) The big thing to remember is that only TW (Team Win) ROMs currently work.
9: Download the Rom you want like I said I Chose Gravitron and it worked perfectly.
10: Download the Original Kernel for the SG4.
11: Connect your phone to your computer and Place both the Custom ROM and Kernel on the extSD card
12: Disconnect your phone and re-open SafeStrap
13: Choose the option to: REBOOT TO RECOVERY

This is where things get tricky if you don't do it step by step you will brick your phone.

14: Choose "WIPE"
15: The slider at the bottom will do a factory reset for you (I recommend this).
16: Choose the "Back" Arrow at the bottom
17: Choose "BOOT OPTIONS"
18: Choose "ROM-SLOT-1"
19: Choose "CREATE ROM SLOT" (This will take a few minutes)
20: After that is done Choose "BOOT OPTIONS" again and Select ROM-SLOT-1
21: Hit the back arrow and choose "INSTALL"
22: Select the rom you chose earlier and install it
23: AFTER The ROM is installed install the Kernel
24: Reboot the phone

A Logo saying SafeStraped Enabled will appear (from this point on) Hit the option on the lower right to "Continue"

Setup your phone with your new Custom ROM and ENJOY!!!!!!

****Credit for the Second Part goes to: Hashcode, upndwn4par, graydiggy and killajoe…Without their hard work and tireless efforts none of this would have been possible.****

Attachments

• Root_for_ATTSG4_FM3.rar
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • Safestrap-JFLTEATT-3.65.apk
    7.2 MB · Views: 46
  • jflteatt-MF3-modules.zip
    682.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

HAVOK83

Jun 18, 2012
Gonna give this a go in a bit. thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

tjrudnitzki

Jan 11, 2014
Yes I meant touch-wiz...sorry about that I finished this post on my phone and got autocorrected

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

steviewunderr

Jan 16, 2014
OnePlus 9 Pro
Newbie to rooting

Ok, so I have a ton of experience jailbreaking Apple devices but I recently switched to Android (BEST DECISION EVER.) Anyways, I successfully rooted my phone (ATT I337) yesterday using "Saferoot." My OS is 4.3 and my Baseband version ends in "MK2," so I'm guessing that I'm an MK2. I have ODIN on my phone but I can't flash any custom roms on to it because something about my bootloader being locked. Atm Safestrap seems to be my only option but when I try to install the .apk, I get an error saying that there was an error parsing the package. Dunno what that means, like I said I'm kind of a newbie at rooting. I really don't know what any terms mean so if you reply with android lingo please explain what it is. Thanks :laugh:

Edit: A quick reply or any solution would be awesome, I only rooted because I'm fed up with not having wifi access. Also Kangakat 4.4 sounds really awesome and I'm desperate to flash it!

Last edited:
G

GuestX0019

Nice "to the point" guide tj

I can't speak to the steps themselves as I am on the original firmware and don't need SS

But, congrats on taking the initiative so early in your XDA membership to put forth such a detailed guide on installing SS without any unnecessary info

So, many times the info is spread all over as I learned when I started with rooting 4 years ago

The only question I have, and just curious, do you plan on fielding questions like the one above. If so, great, as many people are lost and some don't take the time you did to research and learn SS

If not, and OK too, you may want this in General and add a comment stating you won't be answering general questions

Either way, thanks for your efforts--:)