Finally a good Xperia Z2 Speaker Show Off!

Search This thread

solwretep

Jan 15, 2008
Whats good about it? Microphone isn't even pointing in the same direction. Also, his voice or silence is captured in the averaging of the volume - which actually renders his test invalid.

Even if numbers were accurate (throught that iPhone mic) 3 dB difference is huge since its a logarithmic scale.

Also, he is talking about audio quality which has nothing to do with audio amplitude which is what he is trying to measure.

I think we can all agree after seeing this video that once the single speaker ringing thing is fixed,
there will be no issues with ringer volume whatsoever :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkk516o52-E

SolidR53

Jan 4, 2011
Reykjavik
forritun.org
Whats good about it? Microphone isn't even pointing in the same direction. Also, his voice or silence is captured in the averaging of the volume - which actually renders his test invalid.

Even if numbers were accurate (throught that iPhone mic) 3 dB difference is huge since its a logarithmic scale.

Also, he is talking about audio quality which has nothing to do with audio amplitude which is what he is trying to measure.

Are you crazy, he is using a Zoom H6 (http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h6/) with stereo microphone.

It features a complete audio quality meter, this is absolutely a valid test.

KyleSforza

Mar 9, 2013
Delhi
www.facebook.com

The OP talks of ringtone volume, so according to the test Z2 definitely is louder. At least on the chart.

solwretep

Jan 15, 2008
Are you crazy, he is using a Zoom H6 (http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h6/) with stereo microphone.

It features a complete audio quality meter, this is absolutely a valid test.

No its still not a valid test. He doesnt point the mic in the same direction towards the speakers. And also the distance is different. And thirdly he is averaging over a timeframe in which there is silence or talk. The test doesnt say anything. And what does this have to do with ringtones?

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

The OP talks of ringtone volume, so according to the test Z2 definitely is louder. At least on the chart.

The Z2 is louder than what?

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Are you guys kidding me? If this was a middle-grade school laboratory test the teacher would cry...

SolidR53

Jan 4, 2011
Reykjavik
forritun.org
No its still not a valid test. He doesnt point the mic in the same direction towards the speakers. And also the distance is different. And thirdly he is averaging over a timeframe in which there is silence or talk. The test doesnt say anything. And what does this have to do with ringtones?

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

This is the microphone, its stereo, so its average pointing direction is straight forward.

text_img_4404.jpg

His talk is added after the video recording... and I find the distance to be about the same, but if they don't, its certainly an invalid test for sure, but you are assuming here.

Still a valid test.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

This is the microphone, its stereo, so its average pointing direction is straight forward.

text_img_4404.jpg

His talk is added after the video recording... and I find the distance to be about the same, but if they don't, its certainly an invalid test for sure, but you are assuming here.

Still a valid test.

What kind of internet troll are you?

solwretep

Jan 15, 2008
Its obvious that that mic-pair is very sensitive to where it points. I bet you move that mic 10 degrees and you get a completely different result. Amplitude of sound drops as 1/R^2. He is keeping the mic way to close to the phones as a small change in distance will have a huge impact on amplitude. Put those mics two meters away and you will have a much better comparison.

This test was performed by an amateur with cool gadgets and it says nothing. And by nothing I mean NOTHING.

text_img_4404.jpg

Still a valid test.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

What kind of internet troll are you?

1.) If you average something using just 2 data points you are getting rubbish
2.) They are directional microphones. Otherwise you wouldn't record stereo properly. As such, you have to take the distance along the trajectory of the mic, and not the shortest distance from the housing of the mic (if so, you would have been correct).

g4rvd4

Jul 15, 2010
Mumbai
Yeah, I've to agree here that the test is not scientific at all. And the thing about unscientific experiments is that results are inconclusive and can be interpreted either way.
The one thing he could have done to make this perfect was to keep the microphone apparatus in a fixed location and position about 1 meter away from a phone stand, on which the phones should be mounted one by one.

solwretep

Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, I've to agree here that the test is not scientific at all. And the thing about unscientific experiments is that results are inconclusive and can be interpreted either way.
The one thing he could have done to make this perfect was to keep the microphone apparatus in a fixed location and position about 1 meter away from a phone stand, on which the phones should be mounted one by one.

Exactly my point. Thank you.

SkyS1gn

Jan 26, 2013
Őriszentpéter

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Are you guys kidding me? If this was a middle-grade school laboratory test the teacher would cry...

LOL you are blind!

solwretep

Jan 15, 2008
Sorry if I sounded like a dic*. I appologize, I got slightly excited without my morning coffee...

=)