[Q] A500 acer logo screen, Yes, I searched

Search This thread

BigJohn15906

May 11, 2014
Johnstown
I'm having some trouble understanding how to get my CPUID. I tried to reply to some of the relevant threads but was not allowed due to some kind of missing "Approval". I'm hoping this gets through. My Acer A500 froze about a week ago while running the clock program. It was used mostly as a night stand toy. I've tried lots of stuff here including trying to install the Acer default roms.
SD_PB_G100W_1.007.03_COM_GEN1.zip and Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1-FULL-ROOT.zip and Acer_AV041_A500_1.054.00_WW_GEN1-FULL-ROOT.zip. I copied these to my SD card one at a time then renamed them update.zip. None worked. I tried several others without success. :(
I cannot get passed the CPUID thing. I tried the A500 manager and I got nowhere. My windows 7 PC does see this tablet in APX mode "Hold power and reset buttons "and so did the A500 manager. Now the strange part, the A500 manager did not reveal any text on the program for any of the buttons. I used a screenshot found on the forum to blindly use it. Of course, it did not give me the info I need "CPUID" to do much of anything else. The A500 boots to the Acer logo and that all it does. I tried hardware and software reset, Power + -volume and power + + volume move the orientation lock button. The first ends up showing Android guy dead with red exclamation and the second shows erasing and clearing message, reboots back to Acer logo screen and that's it.
If I could get the CPUID from this thing, I would try the other tools from the forum. I have nothing to lose at this point. I read the CPUID forum threads over the last few days and I'm beginning to lose hope. Can someone tell a noob step by step how to get my CPUID? I have never hooked this tab up to a PC before and I do not have access to an XP machine. If this is a clue, if I just power the tab up to the Acer logo screen, the driver fails but in APX mode, the machine sees the tab.
Please let me know if you need any other info. I'm a PC guy and know nothing about any form of linux/ubuntu.

Last edited:

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
You have a couple of options...
If you've got a nandroid backup you'll find it in a txt file.

If you've previously had it plugged into yr pc use usbfeview.

Use Linux to retrieve it.

Also if yr pc does not recognise yr tab you won't get very far at all. Ensure u have them installed correctly, both the Acer ones and the usb ones

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

BigJohn15906

May 11, 2014
Johnstown
You have a couple of options...
If you've got a nandroid backup you'll find it in a txt file.
I've never backed up this tab. Where would I find this text file?

If you've previously had it plugged into yr pc use usbfeview.
I've never had it hooked up to a PC before it died.
Use Linux to retrieve it.
I have no clue how to use Linux.
Also if yr pc does not recognise yr tab you won't get very far at all. Ensure u have them installed correctly, both the Acer ones and the usb ones
My PC installs the USB driver correctly in APX mode. When I boot to the Acer logo screen, the driver install fails. I installed the drivers found on the forum before I hooked the tab up to my PC.

At this point I would pay someone who knows Linux to get this working again. I had planned to use it at a relatives wedding to take pics for them and play music at the reception. Looks like I wont be doing that now. Can you tell me step by step how to get the CPUID? I'm willing to try anything other than using it for target practice. :confused::confused:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I know nothing about Linux. Most guys are telling me I need a Linux machine to fix the tab. :confused:

You don't have to have a linux machine per say. There are 3 ways to install Ubuntu (most popular linux OS) on a normal windows pc.

1) Install Cygwin. This creates a virtual window to run an ubuntu installation
2) VMWare. Again, creates a virtual window to run Ubuntu
3. Install Ubuntu on top of Windows to have a dual boot system (easiest and more efficient method).

The big difference between 1 & 2, and option 3, is that the first 2 options share resources with both Ubuntu and Windows. This can be a little buggy if you don't have a pretty powerful system (i5 and i7 with lots of RAM).

Where as option 3 gives 100% of the system resources as you boot straight to Ubuntu.

The advantage to options 1 & 2, is that it's easy to uninstall when you no longer need Ubuntu.

Just Google "install ubuntu on windows" and several links to do it. It's actually pretty easy.

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Another thing to try first is to download these full ICS Update files for the A500 (501 owners can try this also, but you'll have a 500, but that might can be changed later)

These files are already "decrypted" and are named differently as to keep them separate. Download them all to a folder.

Now, select one of them, rename it to "update" (end result is a file called update.zip) copy it to SD card, boot tab and see if it installs. If it hangs on the install, delete it from SD card, and do the same with the next. Hopefully one of them might take. You may have to try all 4 of them before one works. It's hit and miss.

http://d-h.st/Zf8

http://d-h.st/2cm

http://d-h.st/gw8

http://d-h.st/KXl

Hope this gets you going.

MD

And a Big Hello to @dibb_nz glad to see you still helping!

BigJohn15906

May 11, 2014
Johnstown
You don't have to have a linux machine per say. There are 3 ways to install Ubuntu (most popular linux OS) on a normal windows pc.

1) Install Cygwin. This creates a virtual window to run an ubuntu installation
2) VMWare. Again, creates a virtual window to run Ubuntu
3. Install Ubuntu on top of Windows to have a dual boot system (easiest and more efficient method).

The big difference between 1 & 2, and option 3, is that the first 2 options share resources with both Ubuntu and Windows. This can be a little buggy if you don't have a pretty powerful system (i5 and i7 with lots of RAM).

Where as option 3 gives 100% of the system resources as you boot straight to Ubuntu.

The advantage to options 1 & 2, is that it's easy to uninstall when you no longer need Ubuntu.

Just Google "install ubuntu on windows" and several links to do it. It's actually pretty easy.

I tried a few times to install Ubuntu on my Dell 8400. It's a good PC but I do not understand how to "Compile" or install the drivers needed. :confused: Can I do this with "Live CD" or a USB boot of Ubuntu without trying to install drivers? The drivers I need for Ubuntu on my Dell are video and on board sound card drivers. Everything else works from the start. I'm very lost when it comes to any flavor of Linux. I've been asking people on several boards for a few years now if they have a working image for the Dell 8400 they could ship to me but haven't got one yet. :( I would love to get this tablet up and running again. I saw a few listings for Acer A500 repair on Ebay. I wonder if this might be the best route to take? They are charging $50.00 for software repairs and $130.00 for hardware replacement (Motherboard). The hardware replacement is a little steep as I see some used A500s listed starting at $150.00. I would hate to end up buying someone else headache. :p

BigJohn15906

May 11, 2014
Johnstown
Another thing to try first is to download these full ICS Update files for the A500 (501 owners can try this also, but you'll have a 500, but that might can be changed later)

These files are already "decrypted" and are named differently as to keep them separate. Download them all to a folder.

Now, select one of them, rename it to "update" (end result is a file called update.zip) copy it to SD card, boot tab and see if it installs. If it hangs on the install, delete it from SD card, and do the same with the next. Hopefully one of them might take. You may have to try all 4 of them before one works. It's hit and miss.

http://d-h.st/Zf8

http://d-h.st/2cm

http://d-h.st/gw8

http://d-h.st/KXl

Hope this gets you going.

MD

And a Big Hello to @dibb_nz glad to see you still helping!

I tried all of these just the way you said without success. The tab does not see the update zip. It ends up either with dead Android guy with red ! or stuck on the Acer logo screen. :crying:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I tried a few times to install Ubuntu on my Dell 8400. It's a good PC but I do not understand how to "Compile" or install the drivers needed. :confused: Can I do this with "Live CD" or a USB boot of Ubuntu without trying to install drivers? The drivers I need for Ubuntu on my Dell are video and on board sound card drivers. Everything else works from the start. I'm very lost when it comes to any flavor of Linux. I've been asking people on several boards for a few years now if they have a working image for the Dell 8400 they could ship to me but haven't got one yet. :( I would love to get this tablet up and running again. I saw a few listings for Acer A500 repair on Ebay. I wonder if this might be the best route to take? They are charging $50.00 for software repairs and $130.00 for hardware replacement (Motherboard). The hardware replacement is a little steep as I see some used A500s listed starting at $150.00. I would hate to end up buying someone else headache. :p

If you install, its with a recent "Live CD" (or USB Stick, which I have never used) I prefer the CD version.

I don't have a dell, or know much about them. But if Ubuntu starts up, regardless of sound or perhaps video drivers, there should be no issues in making things work.

As for getting replacement parts, I would think you can almost a better deal with a new device rather than paying for replacement parts.

A working A500/501 goes for about 100-150$ these days,

If the updates I linked you to, didn't work, then it's probably a bad memory block. But you'll have to use Ubuntu, for a couple of reasons, an really no way to avoid it.

1) babsector (although it can be run through windows)
2) UID

Can't help you with your dell Mate, don't own one.

MD

Reactions: BigJohn15906

BigJohn15906

May 11, 2014
Johnstown
If you install, its with a recent "Live CD" (or USB Stick, which I have never used) I prefer the CD version.

I don't have a dell, or know much about them. But if Ubuntu starts up, regardless of sound or perhaps video drivers, there should be no issues in making things work.

As for getting replacement parts, I would think you can almost a better deal with a new device rather than paying for replacement parts.

If the updates I linked you to, didn't work, then it's probably a bad memory block. But you'll have to use Ubuntu, for a couple of reasons, an really no way to avoid it.

2) UID

MD

I have an old live CD, Ubuntu 10.X I can try. The Dell 8400 is a business class PC I used in my DJ business. I have 5 of them. I'll just install on one of the idle ones and be done with it. Then I'll stop back to get the files. Thanks for trying Moscow Desire. ;)

Reactions: Moscow Desire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No

2) UID

MD

2) UID

MD

I have an old live CD, Ubuntu 10.X I can try. The Dell 8400 is a business class PC I used in my DJ business. I have 5 of them. I'll just install on one of the idle ones and be done with it. Then I'll stop back to get the files. Thanks for trying Moscow Desire. ;)