[ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 Preview & Nightly Builds for Samsung Epic 4G

Search This thread

VAnative21

Jul 11, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
Re: [ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 Preview Builds for Samsung Epic 4G

I was wondering how come every time I reboot my phone it seems that's the ROM has trouble reading the media on my SD card? Any media settings like notification sounds are reset and I have to set them all over again. Any apps saved to SD card on my home screen have there technical name (Google.example.app) instead of its regular name (Google)!

Thanks for the assistance...

Sent from DJ's Samsung Epic 4G via XDA Premium!

bypod

Dec 1, 2010
Logan

I was wondering how come every time I reboot my phone it seems that's the ROM has trouble reading the media on my SD card? Any media settings like notification sounds are reset and I have to set them all over again. Any apps saved to SD card on my home screen have there technical name (Google.example.app) instead of its regular name (Google)!

Thanks for the assistance...

I haven't seen any issues with my media scans, but I did notice the strange app renaming issue you describe. It only happened once and corrected itself after another reboot. It hasn't cropped up again. Anyone else setting this?

VAnative21

Jul 11, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA

I haven't seen any issues with my media scans, but I did notice the strange app renaming issue you describe. It only happened once and corrected itself after another reboot. It hasn't cropped up again. Anyone else setting this?

Both issues happen to me ALL THE TIME LOL! I wonder if its my SD card... I know the app issue is only on the apps that I moved to SD so it involves the media scan as well. I'm not even 100% sure the media scan is the problem, I just know that for some reason after reboots my notification settings are reset...

Thanks for your response tho...

zetterwing

Sep 8, 2010

Still on experimental build from 12/21 10.1. Getting a popup when texting 2 people at once. Something about sending a lot of sms... Allow? Any way to disable the warning? Thanks

Elixis

Sep 20, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Is anyone else experiencing a bug within Instagram, when you take a photo with the flash on, the entire phone turns off and a battery pull must be done to get it back up and running?

VAnative21

Jul 11, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA

Is anyone else experiencing a bug within Instagram, when you take a photo with the flash on, the entire phone turns off and a battery pull must be done to get it back up and running?

Nah.. Just tried it about a minute ago and no reboot...

labumm

I'd like to try the latest CM10.1 again. I have a nandroid image with CM10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL. I'm pretty sure that was a JB 4.2.2.

I am asking this question because of the changes to the kernel and SU.

Will I have problems if I restore the nandroid back up (meaning full wipe w/ factory reset first), then wipe cache, dalvik cache, format system, flash the latest CM10.1 and lattest gapps?
Also I do not want to loose the trebuchet settings--specifically the layout of the icons. Can I recover those by restoring the trebuchet data from my TB back up? Not sure if I loose these in this process... In this senario the "data" from the CM10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL is not wiped.

Duh. I don't think I loose the trebuchet settings unless I wipe data. ** But that is the point. I want to avoid a loosing al the settings in "data". **

Last edited:

UPdownLoAD

Feb 4, 2007
I'd like to try the latest CM10.1 again. I have a nandroid image with CM10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL. I'm pretty sure that was a JB 4.2.2.

I am asking this question because of the changes to the kernel and SU.

Will I have problems if I restore the nandroid back up (meaning full wipe w/ factory reset first), then wipe cache, dalvik cache, format system, flash the latest CM10.1 and lattest gapps?
Also I do not want to loose the trebuchet settings--specifically the layout of the icons. Can I recover those by restoring the trebuchet data from my TB back up? Not sure if I loose these in this process... In this senario the "data" from the CM10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL is not wiped.

You should be able to "dirty flash" the latest nightly on top of any CM10 build, though everyone here will not recommend it.

labumm

You should be able to "dirty flash" the latest nightly on top of any CM10 build, though everyone here will not recommend it.

That's why I have the CM10.1 image--to avoid those problems. My DD is still CM10 due to the BT issue.

So my question is really about dirty flashing latest CM10.1 with new kernel and SU + new gapps over a JB4.2.2 experimental CM10.1 with JB4.2.1 gapps.

UPdownLoAD

Feb 4, 2007
That's why I have the CM10.1 image--to avoid those problems. My DD is still CM10 due to the BT issue.

So my question is really about dirty flashing latest CM10.1 with new kernel and SU + new gapps over a JB4.2.2 experimental CM10.1 with JB4.2.1 gapps.

Flash the M2 release. It's fairly stable, and before the kernel/SU changes. You'll be fine :) Make sure you flash 4.2.2 gapps: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip

Reactions: labumm

VaderSS

Nov 10, 2011
Fairfield, CA

I clean flashed 10 and dirty flashed 10.1, from the update app when it notified me it was available.

I had to update GAPPs, delete clock data, and then reinstall facebook a few days later. I've had a few problems since that required a reboot, but have found it much smoother, snappier, and more stable than 10 ever was. I do have some BT isses with file sharing, but it works fine with my BT headset.

I also flashed the nitest kernel and the NS4G modem, and things got even better.I actually like it so much I bought a "new" Epic 4G to replace my 2 year old phone, which is pretty banged up.

Gonna hold off another year before changing phones.

A_Flying_Fox

Aug 10, 2010

I can't seem to find any ad block apps in the play store...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

chrishighs

Oct 16, 2011

Well they do have a pretty big revenue from ads. You guys have rooted phones, just go hunt down the apk, install it once and backup with titanium.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

bypod

Dec 1, 2010
Logan

Easy to see where Google is coming from, but this is sort of an Apple thing to do, is it not? :( And being that apks for these apps are still going to be easy to find and install, it's more of just a unsavory gesture. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Easy to see where Google is coming from, but this is sort of an Apple thing to do, is it not? :( And being that apks for these apps are still going to be easy to find and install, it's more of just a unsavory gesture. :rolleyes:

Also, if Google kills the ad-blcoking extensions on desktop Chrome, I will freak the freak out. That is all.

Love my JB epic!!! Hope to see a new M2 release in the coming few days...

Reactions: VAnative21

labumm

OK, this is off topic. But I think it is more of a symbolic gesture on Google's part. They cannot be seen to be a party to blocking ads from paying sponsors. They have created a open source community, so Google is obviously aware their action is easy to maneuver around.

If they changed the Android OS so that it would not permit ad blocking, I suspect that would be the first thing devs would remove from the upstream code...

All this said, removing ad blocking software from the ap store does effectively make it unavailable to many users. I am referring to all the people who just use their phones w/ stock and don't/won't/can't mess around with this like we do. Or have a friend who will do it for them.

Any one know the statistics on this? The percentage of users who are pure stock?

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Flash the M2 release. It's fairly stable, and before the kernel/SU changes. You'll be fine :) Make sure you flash 4.2.2 gapps: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip

I appreciate your suggestion for M2, but I suspect that the upstream fix for my BT problem is still over the horizon. So I was hoping to update my CM10.1 image to the latest nightly. And at that same time make sure that I can revert to CM10 w/o issues.

Reactions: VAnative21

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 10.1 is a free, community built distribution of Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

This is a preview build of CM10.1 for the Samsung Epic 4G. It may cause all the things in the disclaimer to happen, or steal your girlfriend while you are busy flashing ROMs.

Please submit a patch to our Gerrit instance if you want to help out.

WARNING: If you are not already on an official CM10 or CM10.1 build, this will wipe your data due to a resizing of the mtd partitions. If you wish to go back to another ROM, you will need to ODIN back to stock. Currently, the partition sizes are the same between CM10 and CM10.1

Recommended steps before you install:
    1. Install AppBak from Market, run it and save a list of all your apps.
    2. Install SMS Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your SMS history.
    3. Install Call Logs Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your call log history.
    4. Boot into CWM recovery. Make a full Backup. You will need this backup later if you decide to go back to your previous ROM and data.
    5. It is recommended that you wipe data before installing CM10.1 for the first time.

Additional Disclaimer:
    Any bug reports coming from an Unofficial CM10.1 build, or a modified/patched Official CM10.1 build (modem patch, kernels, etc.) should be directed to the originating thread. It is hard enough to provide bug support for the official releases without having to worry about bugs that may have been introduced by outside means. Bug reports are very welcome if you can reproduce them after flashing back to an official, stock build. We do want to be able to fix all the things. Thank you.

Nightly Install Instructions:
    1. Download from get.cm. Pay attention to the filenames. Don't grab a CM9 or CM10 build by mistake!
    2. Reboot into recovery and install.

Nightly Changelog: http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#epicmtd/cm10.1/next

**Google Apps are not included in these ROMs. You'll need to install those yourself if you want them. Recommended and highly suggested are the 4.2.1 gapps from goo.im. Any other versions could result in problems.

Known Issues:

- Bluetooth still needs some work. Things work (audio, tethering, file transfers) although they might not work every time. Also, there is a chance that it will get stuck "Turning bluetooth off..." when you attempt to, well, turn bluetooth off. If this happens, your best bet is to reboot your phone before the system bogs down due to logcat spam.

- Wired headset mic & buttons.

Previous preview Builds - Jellybean 4.2.1
    **Do not report bug to the bug tracker if you are using this build.**

cm-10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20130120-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20130101-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20121221-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20121213-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip md5: a725db4df65a6229f7c5d69e33907756
    New Build, Jellybean 4.4.2

Here you are, a fresh build with the new Jellybean 4.2.2. That said, I don't know if there are any new bugs introduced by the new code changes.

- I have been using my BT headset for a few hours, doing my best to make it fail. So far it has been running very well, although I'm not going to declare it fixed yet. It's still early and I might just be getting lucky.

- I am not yet aware of any new gapps, so keep using the 4.2.1 gapps from goo. I did a dirty flash over my previous 4.2.1 build and haven't noticed any issues yet. YMMV.

Download cm-10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip

New Build

New build. I accidentally missed the M1 build, but this should be pretty close. Nightlies should be in the somewhat near future.

No promises but check this build for any improvement in BT. It includes a test patch (more than just the upstream BT merges). The issues seem to still exist, but I've been having somewhat better luck.. with some things.

It could be a coincidence but here are some observations:
    Pro:
    - Better chance that BT will turn off and back on again.
    - Better chance that the device will connect each time.
    -- When the device doesn't connect, turning BT off/on will allow it to connect (maybe a couple times as necessary).

Con:
    - When using Apollo: If I let an album get to the end and stop audio on it's own, BT audio seems to stop working when beginning a new album. Needs more testing but it's happened more than once. Reboot will usually fix it. Maybe I need to stop letting the album end on its own :p I also need to test other music apps for similar behavior to rule out an Apollo bug.
    - Maybe more, but I forget for now. Let me know if anything is better.

cm-10.1-20130120-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    New Preview Build.

Still just some upstream updates:

- This has the new version of the lockscreen/homescreen clock/calendar/weather widget (You may recognize it from CM10)
    - Probably more... poke around :)

I know it's a couple days old already, things have still been a little crazy as the holidays wrap up.

Download cm-10.1-20130101-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    The cm-10.1.3 stable build has a flaw with the hardware keyboard arrow keys. Flash the zip in this post to fix it.