4.4.2 Kernel Development?

Search This thread

sloheim

Oct 17, 2010
So I've never been big into experimenting with new and different kernels. I figure whatever comes with the phone/ROM is good by me.

But after having been thru some ROMs with amazing battery life, I feel like I've taken a small step backwards after the 4.4.2 update.

The S3 development community still seems to be running strong. Does anyone still actively work on S3 kernels? I'm curious about what could be done following our latest update.

Thanks.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
So I've never been big into experimenting with new and different kernels. I figure whatever comes with the phone/ROM is good by me.

But after having been thru some ROMs with amazing battery life, I feel like I've taken a small step backwards after the 4.4.2 update.

The S3 development community still seems to be running strong. Does anyone still actively work on S3 kernels? I'm curious about what could be done following our latest update.

Thanks.

In no particular order (have you tried searching?):

[KERNEL][SPR][AOSP/TW][4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4][05/07/2014] KT747 - MD4 - KTweaker

[KERNEL][4.3/4.4/TW4.1/TW4.3] dkp - d2spr - 4/26/14

[KERNEL][4.3/4.4][AOSP] ¤ BMS ¤ d2spr 3.4.y [2014-04-02]

Reactions: Kevets

sloheim

Oct 17, 2010
For anyone interested in an actual answer, rather than a snarky response...

Kernel updates appear to be a significant undertaking due to the underlying changes in 4.4.2, and many of the original devs have moved on to other devices.

Hopefully someone with the time and know-how will be able to eventually pull something together. Hoping for the best!

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
You're welcome. :rolleyes:

Thanks for making me feel like I wasted my time looking up and answering your question that you decided to give yourself the (wrong) answer to, anyway. You can lead a horse to water...

Good day.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevets and CNexus

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
You're welcome. :rolleyes:

Thanks for making me feel like I wasted my time looking up and answering your question that you decided to give yourself the (wrong) answer to, anyway. You can lead a horse to water...

Good day.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

While he may have made you feel like you wasted your time he's not wrong with his answer at all, there are major changes for the kernel in 4.4.2 (whole new base)... I'm sure we'll be seeing some sooner or later, but most of the kernel devs don't have this phone so it may take a bit

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
We have three custom kernels that I've ever noticed, at least up to date through AOSP and/or TW 4.3. Only two are for TW. @decimalman has said he still has this phone and plans on supporting TW on KitKat, so I don't understand a statement that most kernel devs have moved on.

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
We have three custom kernels that I've ever noticed, at least up to date through AOSP and/or TW 4.3. Only two are for TW. @decimalman has said he still has this phone and plans on supporting TW on KitKat, so I don't understand a statement that most kernel devs have moved on.

Just saying, only 1 kernel dev actually has this phone, so most have moved on bit continue to support this device... Ktoonz may or may not, he hasn't decided yet... I'm with you 100%,just pointing out he wasn't entirely wrong

sloheim

Oct 17, 2010
Nothing that I said was wrong. It appears that we have one dev left with an active interest in supporting the S3 kernel, and he has acknowledged that its a large undertaking. I used decimalman's kernel in the Wicked Sensations ROM with great results, so hopefully he can find the time to put something together with similar success based on the latest kernel.

Top Liked Posts