[HOWTO][TAR][BLAZE 4G] THE ODIN THREAD :: Return to stock, fix soft brick :: 4/9/12

Search This thread

k0nane

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 7, 2008
www.k0nane.info
k0nane presents...
Odin: Return to Stock, fix soft brick
Sponsored by k0nane.info. Have you tipped your devs today?

DO NOT CHECK REPARTITION! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Why the big red warning? Far too many people have broken their devices by not following these instructions! Search the forums, or drop by IRC - you'll see plenty of examples.

These instructions should fix your soft-bricked or broken phone as long as you can get it into download mode. Make sure you have drivers already installed on your Windows computer before starting. Please read them all the way through and then begin.

Code:
#include <external/cyanogenmod/std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */
Instructions

1. Download Odin 1.85 - see section below.
  2. Download the stock TAR for your device - see section below.
  3. Extract the contents of odin-185.zip and the 7zip archive.
  4. Run Odin 1.85.exe, and prepare Odin:
    • Check "auto-reboot", and uncheck all other options.
    • Click PDA and select the TAR you downloaded. Click PIT and select the PIT your downloaded.
  5. Put your device into Download Mode:
    • Connect the USB cable to your PC, but NOT your device.
    • Remove the battery.
    • Reinsert the battery.
    • Hold down Volume Up + Volume Down + Power.
  6. You should now be at Download Mode. Make sure Odin looks similar to the following:

fIukWl.png
  7. Click Start in Odin.
  8. Wait! When complete, Odin should appear like the following:

n8Hhul.png

That's it! Your device will autoreboot, and your phone should be working properly again. Be sure to wipe data in recovery after completing this process if you have further issues.

Downloads​

Credits:

• DrTaru: stock device, remote access, lots of testing, screenshots, patience
  • Shabbypenguin: Shabbypenguin (do I need to say more?)

Last edited:

Desertstorm00

Apr 13, 2012
No 4G or Wifi Afterwards...

I just did the Factory Recovery on my phone 'cause I messed something up and now I can't get the 4G or Wifi to work... :mad: I'm connected to the Wifi Network and 4G icon is on my phone but there's no internet connection...any help please?

doantri

Jan 11, 2006
Hi
I need 2 folder app and framework to build some app then send to my friend because my friend don't know how to copy it from system. Please use root explore to copy it then upload for me .
Thanks

k0nane

Feb 7, 2008
www.k0nane.info
I just did the Factory Recovery on my phone 'cause I messed something up and now I can't get the 4G or Wifi to work... :mad: I'm connected to the Wifi Network and 4G icon is on my phone but there's no internet connection...any help please?
Wipe cache and data in factory recovery.

Hi
I need 2 folder app and framework to build some app then send to my friend because my friend don't know how to copy it from system. Please use root explore to copy it then upload for me .
Thanks
Extract them from the system image yourself.

chlor3

May 7, 2012
Ok, yes this is my first post and yes, the "don't check Re-Partition!" is in red everywhere... and I am a relatively experienced at rooting devices (this is the second Blaze I was doing, first one rooted with zero problems... That being said: What are the recovery options if one does open a new tar using oden and forgets to un-check re-partition (like I did earlier today)?

I have since flashed both the recovery rom and CWM, however the phone still prompts me for a password and after I input the correct password it goes into a boot loop.

Steps taken:
1. Flashed the k0nane root kernel and forgot to uncheck re-partition. ( Yes I know... laugh it up... )
2. Dropped the F-bomb in front of the kids about 1 second after pressing "Start" once I realized what I had done...
3. Followed the "THE ODIN THREAD: Return to stock instructions, fix soft brick"
4. At the hard reset part where you go into recovery mode I received the green/red dot screen response
5. Successfully flashed the CWM, therefore fixing the green/red dot recovery mode issue
6. Performed a hard reset using CWM, however...

After all this I still am getting the prompt for password (I would have expected a factory reset would make this go away) and subsequent boot loop upon entering the correct password.

Would saving a CWM recovery rom to my sd card of my "good' Blaze and transferring/flashing it to my broken blaze fix the issue?

Edit:
- I tried it (flashing my other blaze's recovery rom) and no it does not fix the password prompt to boot loop issue... (It didn't make anything worse either... how is it I can flash a rom and still have a password prompt (my working droid is not password protected...)?

Last edited:

MrBlacklisted

Apr 26, 2012
San Diego
Ok, yes this is my first post and yes, the "don't check Re-Partition!" is in red everywhere... and I am a relatively experienced at rooting devices (this is the second Blaze I was doing, first one rooted with zero problems... That being said: What are the recovery options if one does open a new tar using oden and forgets to un-check re-partition (like I did earlier today)?

I have since flashed both the recovery rom and CWM, however the phone still prompts me for a password and after I input the correct password it goes into a boot loop.

Steps taken:
1. Flashed the k0nane root kernel and forgot to uncheck re-partition. ( Yes I know... laugh it up... )
2. Dropped the F-bomb in front of the kids about 1 second after pressing "Start" once I realized what I had done...
4. At the hard reset part where you go into recovery mode I received the green/red dot screen response
5. Successfully flashed the CWM, therefore fixing the green/red dot recovery mode issue

After all this I still am getting the prompt for password (I would have expected a factory reset would make this go away) and subsequent boot loop upon entering the correct password.

Would saving a CWM recovery rom to my sd card of my "good' Blaze and transferring/flashing it to my broken blaze fix the issue?

Edit:
- I tried it (flashing my other blaze's recovery rom) and no it does not fix the password prompt to boot loop issue... (It didn't make anything worse either... how is it I can flash a rom and still have a password prompt (my working droid is not password protected...)?

This thread might help you out. Brick 2 Fix

chlor3

May 7, 2012
I was hoping i had stumbled upon a new way to fix my "soft brick" since not everyone has access to two phones..
-chlor3

Last edited:

k0nane

Feb 7, 2008
www.k0nane.info
I was hoping i had stumbled upon a new way to fix my "soft brick" since not everyone has access to two phones. I am still considering installing dropbear to the good phone using CWM and flashing to the broken phone in an attempt to get shell.
-chlor3

Do you have a working Blaze? If so, I only need two partitions... Anyone? Our only Blaze owner on IRC returned his.

allprogrammed

Apr 13, 2012
Chicago
So I tried out the CM7 alpha and it froze at the loading screen. I'm doing it wrong and can't figure out how to get a logcat.

I'm trying to get back to stock and it seems to work other that the 'market' app is greyed out and it says that it's not installed on my phone. I've tried re-rooting and cwm and still the market app is greyed and doesn't show up anywhere other than the app drawer.

When I flash back to stock via Odin, I'm already past the gmail login part.
Even after adding cwm, I can't figure out how to get to recovery via hardware buttons to wipe or whatever.

Anybody have any ideas?

Nevermind maybe. I added a Google Play apk and now things are syncing up. I'm not sure what happened though.

Last edited:

allprogrammed

Apr 13, 2012
Chicago
So it looks like I may be the only one messing this up...

I flashed the cm7 alpha a bit ago. It's making progress.

Now that I'm trying to get back to stock I'm getting a loop between the Samsung logo and the Android blasting off.

I flashed the cwm but can't for the life of me figure out how to boot into recovery using hardware keys.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm lost w/ a useless phone ha.

xArcane1x

Apr 11, 2011
Los Angeles
Try this

1. Turn off phone
2. Remove battery
3. Plug USB from computer to phone
4. Insert battery
5. Hold volume up + volume down
6. While still held push and hold the power button keeping all three pressed
7. Wait for Samsung logo to appear
8. When screen goes black wait half a second and release all buttons
9. In a second or 2 should be in recovery

If that doesn't work please leave outcome, I have another method if that fails

Sent from my SGH-T769 using xda premium

Jun 28, 2011
Try this

1. Turn off phone
2. Remove battery
3. Plug USB from computer to phone
4. Insert battery
5. Hold volume up + volume down
6. While still held push and hold the power button keeping all three pressed
7. Wait for Samsung logo to appear
8. When screen goes black wait half a second and release all buttons
9. In a second or 2 should be in recovery

If that doesn't work please leave outcome, I have another method if that fails

Sent from my SGH-T769 using xda premium

im boot looping like in the above thread between the samsung logo and the android screen - ive tried 2 different cables/and downloads

im coming from root and cwm - but needed to go back to stock...

...im not a noob but im stuck and kinda shrugging - help? lol

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

of course im using odin - all succeeding - not failing as odin reports

getting to root and cwm were simple seems this should be but just looping

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

well - nevermind my post although its apparently happening to some devices.

i found a nandroid backup on my SDCARD thankfully i hadnt deleted (as im going back to my g2x lol) - and after i ran it everythings fine; did a factory reset on it and it appears to be good; not sure if it's kept root and wont know until i install tb again on it - but thanks for now guys!

Captivate-me

Oct 19, 2010
The stock tar file isn't being recognized by Odin b/c it's not a "tar" file. Can someone please advise how I can get Odin to recognize it? I really need to get back to stock.

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    k0nane presents...
    Odin: Return to Stock, fix soft brick
    Sponsored by k0nane.info. Have you tipped your devs today?

DO NOT CHECK REPARTITION! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Why the big red warning? Far too many people have broken their devices by not following these instructions! Search the forums, or drop by IRC - you'll see plenty of examples.

These instructions should fix your soft-bricked or broken phone as long as you can get it into download mode. Make sure you have drivers already installed on your Windows computer before starting. Please read them all the way through and then begin.

Code:
    #include <external/cyanogenmod/std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */
    Instructions

1. Download Odin 1.85 - see section below.
    2. Download the stock TAR for your device - see section below.
    3. Extract the contents of odin-185.zip and the 7zip archive.
    4. Run Odin 1.85.exe, and prepare Odin:
      • Check "auto-reboot", and uncheck all other options.
      • Click PDA and select the TAR you downloaded. Click PIT and select the PIT your downloaded.
    5. Put your device into Download Mode:
      • Connect the USB cable to your PC, but NOT your device.
      • Remove the battery.
      • Reinsert the battery.
      • Hold down Volume Up + Volume Down + Power.
    6. You should now be at Download Mode. Make sure Odin looks similar to the following:

fIukWl.png
    7. Click Start in Odin.
    8. Wait! When complete, Odin should appear like the following:

n8Hhul.png

That's it! Your device will autoreboot, and your phone should be working properly again. Be sure to wipe data in recovery after completing this process if you have further issues.

Downloads​

Credits:

• DrTaru: stock device, remote access, lots of testing, screenshots, patience
    • Shabbypenguin: Shabbypenguin (do I need to say more?)
    If you can help fix this, you cna be as cocky as you want..

When I boot into recovery, it stays on a black screen until I let go of all the buttons, then the screen gets a static look to it that slowly gets brighter and brighter, but nothing happens... to get to recovery I am holding both volume buttons and power button, until the phone vibrates, then i relase the power button..it shows samsung, then goes black... Not sure why I cant get into recovery

FOR EVERYONE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS RETURNING TO STOCK FIRMWARE READ THIS

So first register at www.sammobile.com, then search SGH-T769 under firmware and download the August 2012 ICS or The Feb 2013 ICS Firmware, wait for the download to finish (took me 30 minutes) then extract which ever firmware zip you downloaded then using Odin click on PDA and select the .md5 file which is located in the extracted ICS Firmware Folder that you've downloaded from sammobile.com

Download the PIT file here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1919228

Click on PIT in Odin and then select the one downloaded from the link above

Edit: I believe the pit file download link at that thread no longer works but if I remember correctly the pit file isn't needed (it's not do or die) you can continue without it your phone will be fine

then make sure re-partition isn't checked and start the flashing process after it is done flashing and reboots you'll have stock ICS.

*IF YOU WANT TO ROOT IT READ BELOW*

to root it simply follow the instructions over at the root ics stock thread found here

This will flash a custom recovery and once the recovery is flashed using Odin reboot into recovery and flash the superuser.zip then you'll have Rooted Stock ICS Firmware

*BOOT LOOP MIGHT OCCUR*
    To fix boot looping after flashing stock ICS just boot into stock recovery and wipe data and cache then reboot or on custom recover wipe cache and dalvik cache reboot and you're good to go.

If I helped you in anyway don't be afraid to hit thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    FOR EVERYONE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS RETURNING TO STOCK FIRMWARE READ THIS

So first register at www.sammobile.com, then search SGH-T769 under firmware and download the August 2012 ICS or The Feb 2013 ICS Firmware, wait for the download to finish (took me 30 minutes) then extract which ever firmware zip you downloaded then using Odin click on PDA and select the .md5 file which is located in the extracted ICS Firmware Folder that you've downloaded from sammobile.com

Download the PIT file here

Click on PIT in Odin and then select the one downloaded from the link above

then make sure re-partition isn't checked and start the flashing process after it is done flashing and reboots you'll have stock ics to root it simply follow the instructions over at the root ics stock thread found here

This will flash a custom recovery and once the recovery is flashed using Odin reboot into recovery and flash the superuser.zip then you'll have Rooted Stock ICS Firmware

*BOOT LOOP MIGHT OCCUR*
    To fix boot looping after flashing stock ICS just boot into stock recovery and wipe data and cache then reboot or on custom recover wipe cache and dalvik cache reboot and you're good to go.

If I helped you in anyway don't be afraid to hit thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using xda premium
    P-O-S-T :: R-E-S-E-R-V-E-D

AAvvp.png

Original artwork by Pendulum via Gasolin3.

...for future use.

Follow me on Twitter @k0nane and @publik0!

Steps taken:

Edit:

This thread might help you out. Brick 2 Fix