htc EVO 3D display / digitizer failure.

Search This thread

spar10

Sep 1, 2009
i finally got to the end of my rope and took my phone to the local sprint service center. the phone was virtually unusuable and had a mind of it's own. originally i thought they'd replace the screen but it turned out that i had to get a whole new phone. i don't have insurance so it was a 35 fee.

i've always regretted getting rid of my evo 4g rooted with myn on it. i can't wait for the new 4g lte to come out so i can get rid of this thing.

dj_joban

Jan 1, 2008
HELP ME

Hope most of you are aware of the problem, yes the ghost touches and partial touchscreen dead(1 cm above the touch buttons mostly in my case)

this is so annoying it happens mostly wen i am in urgent need...i have read many threads but nothing seemed to be working

i am using the sprint cdma version which i got shipped from the USA to INDIA and as there is n sprint store i have to deal with this problem on my own..

i love this phone and don't wanna lose it...neither do i want to spend much
as what i have realised this is not a hardware issue.... i am having hboot 1.5
s-off and locked..every thing stock

i have tried touchscreen booster also but nothing worked....

never dropped the phone and treat it like my baby...

plz someone help me...)

regards JOBAN

dj_joban

Jan 1, 2008
:(

yesterday i did the line draw test when the screen was giving me problem...by *#*#3424#*#*
method... and the lower part of the screen acted weird... but in d morning the screen was okay and no issues were reported not even with the line draw test...
but i know the problem will come back...

and thnx for the reply guys..)

still fix needed... idk y there is no fix for the issue when so many people are facing the problem... maybe because almost ol of them have a nearby sprint store... i don't have one coz i am in INDIA.... so help me..)

spar10

Sep 1, 2009
this is a hardware issue so the only fix is to replace the screen or get a new phone.

yesterday i did the line draw test when the screen was giving me problem...by *#*#3424#*#*
method... and the lower part of the screen acted weird... but in d morning the screen was okay and no issues were reported not even with the line draw test...
but i know the problem will come back...

and thnx for the reply guys..)

still fix needed... idk y there is no fix for the issue when so many people are facing the problem... maybe because almost ol of them have a nearby sprint store... i don't have one coz i am in INDIA.... so help me..)

cydonian66

Apr 19, 2012
Hi guys. I just signed up to let you know that I've been having the same issue. Basically a rectangular dead spot in the middle. Sometimes the spot doubles in size, rarely it disappears. I went to Sprint, they said IF they had the parts in the store, it costs $35 without insurance. Luckily it's still under manufacturer's warranty, so I called HTC and sent it in. A couple of things I hated about HTC; one, they wanted me to pay for shipping. After going back and forth with the rep, I got them to email me a label. IT'S A DEFECT! Not my fault. Second, it seems like they insisted I did the damage to the phone (asked if I dropped it 20 times) even though it's common. Of course I had to go on Craigslist to buy a temporary phone which was a pain.

I'll keep you all posted once I get the phone back :) I think my next step is to sell it as soon as I get it and get a Samsung or something.

danialhanson

May 10, 2011
Ripon, WI
HTC must know by now they have produced a faulty product.

They knew it weeks before it left the factory. Hell, I'm sure they paid some guy a 6 figure bonus to make sure of it, and to time it just outside the warranty period. If it were one, maybe two, devices, it would be one thing, but this sounds like a common "planned obscelecence" type thing. Just like the earpieces...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Saneless One

Mar 31, 2011
I took my 10 month old E3D in yesterday because the power button was screwy, it had dust under the screen, and it didn't seem to have the best signal. Well, I noticed that it seemed like sometimes the notification bar wasn't pulling down like it should.. Hmm, I've had an android phone for 3, it hasn't been an issue before..

So I ran the multitouch test. Wow, if I get near the top right corner, it has a second, sometimes 3rd, press near the bottom of the screen that is registering. If I put ANY pressure at all (slightly more than I may normally use) it registers 3-4 presses all over the place.

But the top right corner, without fault, will register multiple presses just from a single finger. This stupid thing is going back.

DeMiNe0

Dec 13, 2007
I have this very same issue on my phone. I bought it into my local sprint store, and asked them to order me a replacement. Since I had insurance, they ordered one for me. They're on backorder though, so I'm not sure how long it's going to take. I'm gonna call on Friday if I do not hear from them.

SeanBlader

Dec 4, 2010
Bleh it started happening off and on on my 3D about a month ago. I figured I could deal until the LTE was out, but with the silver fruit induced delay it looks like I'm really without phone for two days.

Basically the capacitive buttons are useless, or there are presses towards the bottom of the screen, which is making the phone actually induce phone calls to the last person on my history... which is my boss, I think he might be getting annoyed.

flomexico

Aug 15, 2010
I just had my screen replaced yesterday. Mine was at the point that it was completely unusable. Took it to Sprint and they replaced the screen for free.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA

jean15paul

Aug 29, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I took my 10 month old E3D in yesterday because the power button was screwy, it had dust under the screen, and it didn't seem to have the best signal. Well, I noticed that it seemed like sometimes the notification bar wasn't pulling down like it should.. Hmm, I've had an android phone for 3, it hasn't been an issue before..

So I ran the multitouch test. Wow, if I get near the top right corner, it has a second, sometimes 3rd, press near the bottom of the screen that is registering. If I put ANY pressure at all (slightly more than I may normally use) it registers 3-4 presses all over the place.

But the top right corner, without fault, will register multiple presses just from a single finger. This stupid thing is going back.

What multitouch test did you run? I've run the Line Drawing Test in the *#*#diag#*#* menu, but that one doesn't register multitouch. I'm having the same problem. It happens sometimes with a single touch, but I definitely think it's worse with multitouch.

I think I'll be going to the Sprint Store on Friday.

edufur

Sep 27, 2007
Hillsboro
Moto X4
Google Pixel 6a
i don't have insurance so it was a 35 fee.

This is so funny... People swear up and down that the TEP is a great deal. But this is an example of how it ISN'T. All you had to do was pay $35... while the idiots on TEP are paying like $10 monthly plus a huge deductible at the time of the replacement... and are likely getting refurbs. I'd say, your deal was better.

Saneless One

Mar 31, 2011

p_2001

Jul 4, 2012
weird problem!

ok.. so I have a weird problem with the phone. The "capacitive" buttons have stopped working. I was going to have the digitizer replaced, after reading a few similar threads along with this one.
But I left my phone just near the AC and when I came back the buttons were working again!. alteast for an hour they did!.

They went back to non-responsive and I again put the phone near the ac and they started working again!

is it due to some lose connection rather than the digitizer being problematic? I think it is the latter because the cool air can only shrink some metallic or non metallic part and make some contact that were lost. Or maybe their is some other reason that I do not know.

Please help me, should I get the digitizer replaced or should I do something else. I voided my warranty by rooting and the 3rd party repair shops are full of thugs who will look for the most expensive option.

EJerVJerO

Jul 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
I am on my 4th replacement in less than a year for the screen replacement. I have insurance and all of them have been rooted and with custom roms when I bring them into Sprint. It has never been an issue so far I am 2 screen replacements in and 1 replacement evo 3d. I currently have it right now in the Sprint store again for same issue. They made it seem they didn't have any screens in the store so another replacement device might be in order.

I would not worry about it being rooted they still have to work on it per their policy. The only thing that root is going to get you is that are told to advise you issues can happen if you do root.

It has never stopped me from any repairs or replacement devices with insurance.

omondisingh

Dec 2, 2010
Colnbrook
I had this problem. Since I voided my warranty i decided to replace it my self. I bought the digitizer on its own from eBay. While installing I damaged the LCD and the front bezel. The glue they used to stick it them was very strong so I became impatient and starting forcing the LCD and digitizer out. I would not recommend this method at all. Best thing to do it buy a bezel, LCD panel and the digitizer then transfer all the other hardware onto the new bezel. Learnt my lesson and fixed it again.
And now I have the same problem again. Ordered everything from eBay.

Sent from my Flyer using XDA Premium HD app

jean15paul

Aug 29, 2011
New Orleans, LA
ok.. so I have a weird problem with the phone. The "capacitive" buttons have stopped working. I was going to have the digitizer replaced, after reading a few similar threads along with this one.
But I left my phone just near the AC and when I came back the buttons were working again!. alteast for an hour they did!.

They went back to non-responsive and I again put the phone near the ac and they started working again!

is it due to some lose connection rather than the digitizer being problematic? I think it is the latter because the cool air can only shrink some metallic or non metallic part and make some contact that were lost. Or maybe their is some other reason that I do not know.

Please help me, should I get the digitizer replaced or should I do something else. I voided my warranty by rooting and the 3rd party repair shops are full of thugs who will look for the most expensive option.

Do you have insurance? I'd unroot and bring it to Sprint to be repaired or replaced.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

EJerVJerO

Jul 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Do you have insurance? I'd unroot and bring it to Sprint to be repaired or replaced.

If you have insurance they still are required to work on it if it's rooted.

They just have to try to fix it first and if they can't they are required to replace the full device.

I just got my phone back that I posted about earlier 4th rooted/custom rom'd time I have had the full housing and screen replaced no issues. I even told them it was rooted and had a custom rom on it.

The only issue I had had was one of them suggested some techs know the policy but the policy on rooted phones is some will only work if it is stock ROOTED rom and not a Custom ROM. Either way they are required to work on jailbroken and rooted devices.

daviss

Sep 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The good ole HTC digitizer issue. I have had at least 5 phones replaces in the last 5 years from HTC that had this issue. It starts out innocent with a random tap here and there. You shrug it off not knowing what happened..minor you ignore it. Then you have to start turning the screen on and off quick to get the screen to register any touches.

In any event, I have had them replaced out of warranty in the store for I think 35 bucks.

Seems the EVO and EVO 3D suffer the problem the most.

jean15paul

Aug 29, 2011
New Orleans, LA
My Evo 3D digitizer issue got me a free GNex after multiple replacement issues. So I'm not complaining. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, I have had the 3D since launch. After the first couple of days I started seeing phantom touches. After 1 week I started to notice this was getting far worse and that the display/digitizer was registering touches when nothing was near the device.

Called Sprint walked through a full wipe of the OS and reinstall. That was a no go and wasted nearly 2 hours of my time on the phone... However the Level 2 tech agreed that it appeared to be a failure of the device and advised that I return it to the Sprint store.

Got to sprint and showed them the video I had made of what the phone was doing. They also agreed that something was wrong with the phone and replaced it immediately.

Just in case I am not the only one that is having this problem I am uploading the video to youtube... I will share that link with you as soon as it is done uploading.

This is a video showing the issue using the "draw" application:

If you run into similar issues let me know!
    never discount the existence of a true phantom pressing those screens ;p
    Mine just started doin the same thing lately, any of you have results yet? Did you turn in your phone or did they repair it? I really dont wanna go to the sprint store and turn mine in because i dont want a refurbished unit. 9/10 in the past when ive went through insurance, the phone they send me is broken as well and then it goes round and round. Sometimes my phone will just stop responding to touch, it will have phantom touches and/or on the htc_ime mod keyboard on compact qwerty; the ui, jk, m, . column up and down wont work at all. strange to say the least, never had this happen to any of my phones before.
    I'm having phantom touches and also screen has been freezing and I have to turn off screen and wait a few seconds to get it to work again, anyone had that problem as well.
    And it makes typing a *****
    My EVO 3D got back from the service a few days ago. As far as I can see they changed not only the digitizer but also the display and the front cover (the original had some scratches, so good for me). Of course the phantom touches issue has been solved. Hope it won't come back.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app

Hi guys and gals,
    I'm here to revive this old thread since I see that a lot of people still have the ghost-touch problem.

To answer Vanilla Bear (admittedly a bit late), they change the whole front together because there is adhesive making it a bit difficult to separate the three parts (LCD, digitizer and front cover). If you want, you can search for "Evo3D screen assembly" on ebay to find all three parts pre-assembled.

If you want the cheaper way like I just did then, with a lot of patience and a blow dryer, you can separate and change only the digitizer.

My ghost touches had gone so bad that I even got them in recovery mode! So, this confirms once more that this problem is hardware related and has nothing to do with specific ROMs. Yes, reducing the temperature of the LCD by simply lowering the CPU frequency helped for a while, but then the problem got worse over time, so I got ghost touches even at 600MHz. One thing is for sure. If this problem starts, you'll have to replace your digitizer eventually.

These are the first hours after I successfully replaced the digitizer, together with a new white-aluminum housing and I must say the result is excellent. No ghost touches at all, even after overclocking, plus I probably have the only white Evo 3D in Athens! The whole procedure took me two hours and I had never opened a phone apart before.

Now it remains to be seen if the new digitizer will also malfunction sometime in the future. If so, I will post it here.

Good luck to all of you.

Sent from the 3rd dimension!