Nexus 10 vs Note 10.1 (Poll and Opinions)

Nexus 10 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1?

• Nexus 10

Votes: 151 68.3%
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Votes: 70 31.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

friend'scatdied

May 14, 2009
One of the key benefits for the Nexus 10 for hardcore development is that its superlative resolution allows it to pull off that fancy simulation of pretty much any Android config.

nipip

Oct 14, 2009
buenos aires
I have the note 10.1 and I'm considering the N10.
Multitasking in the note is great, is it a step back to give away 2 cores?

Enviado desde mi GT-N8010 usando Tapatalk 2

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
I always want a tablet but never get as nearly all Samsung tablet was lagging especially the tab 10.1, then I seen note 10.1 where quite smooth but still not smooth enough in it UI, you still spot from time to time lagging, that time it still running ICS.

Then my friend buy the Asus padfone2 and I was really impress with it performance, extremely smooth no lagging issue, I nearly buy it but I notice it don't have dev support here and it screen kind of more yellowish. I give up at the end.

Then I check out this Nexus 10, from all video I seen, it really impress me the whole performance. Nexus 10 was the right choice tablet for me, it extremely smooth and great sharp clear display.

If you ask me in market which tablet can buy for 10.1 size now, first choice will be Nexus 10, then padfone2 and lastly note 10.1, all this 3 was usable tablet.

Note 10.1 was much smooth after upgrade to latest jelly bean and all Samsung add on customize was a plus for it. But those cool features was fun to have not a must for me.

Smoothness and performance wise, note 10.1 will be in rank 3 for me, it ain't bad just not extreme top performance for me.

enik_fox

Apr 4, 2011
Dahlonega, Ga
Not on official updates, only through secondary roms.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Yes on official updates. I have two. The noon rooted one got it a while ago. Google is your friend...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

I have the note 10.1 and I'm considering the N10.
Multitasking in the note is great, is it a step back to give away 2 cores?

Enviado desde mi GT-N8010 usando Tapatalk 2

No because the cores that the nexus 10 does have are A15 cores which are far superior to the A9 cores in the note 10.1 plus the GPU is much much improved and it has open CL support.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

rcatron

Feb 3, 2012
Frankfort
I own both, and if I was only able to have one...

....I would have to pick the Note 10.1

It is hard to explain why, but if I had to generalize - it is because it is simply more interesting and, for me, is much more usable as a daily driver than any other tablet. I am lucky to own several tablets: Xoom Wifi, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Galaxy Tab 7 7.0, Galaxy Note 10.1, and iPad 3 32GB/3g. I have also owned the Lenovo K1 10.1" and the Transformer Prime along with a rooted Kindle Fire with JB on it.

I have owned them all within weeks of their launch. There is no question whatsoever that the Nexus 10 is faster than the Note. I base my performance measures using Octane Benchmark on Chrome Beta which benchmarks on Octane than any other browser that I have found. (The Note averages a little over 2,000, whereas the Nexus 10 averages a blazing 3,800!)

The JB 4.1.2 update for the Note has made it even more useful - a smoother experience for certain. I actually like Touchwiz after the JB update. To me, the Nexus 10 seems just plain now. I never thought that I would say that as I was always striving to get the pure Android experience.

I like that Samsung still supports Flash in their 4.1.2 build (in the default browser). Flash is still a must for a 100% web experience, though I am not a huge fan.

I do like the Nexus 10, and was very happy that Samsung, not Asus (!), was building it for Google. My past Asus experiences were terrible (I try and forget the Transformer Prime) and though I had high hopes for the Nexus 7, it has proven to be solidly an Asus product - laggy - feeling little, if any faster than the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with the recently released JB 4.1.1 update on it.

I think the ideal tablet would be a cross between the two devices - perhaps that would be the perfect Android device I have been waiting for (no, unfortunately, none of the ones I have now can be considered that perfect one). If the Nexus 10 becomes the basis of the next gen Note, then we may just may have the perfect device.

rp3

Mar 26, 2010
I have also owned both of these (my forth and fifth Samsung tablets after the 8.9, 7.0 plus and 7.7). I prefer the Nexus 10. Here are my reasons:

1: Build quality. The Nexus 10 has Soft-touch plastic on the back. The Note 10.1 has a flimsy sort of platic on the back. This difference in design is the difference between feeling like Samsung made a giant SGS3 on the cheap (having liked the SGS3) and wow, I have a premium piece of electronics. While that may not matter compared to whats under the hood to some... for my $500+ dollars... (ok, I bought the note 10.1 for 330 and the 32gb Nexus for 440 but still) I shouldn't have the worst build quality of a 2012 Samsung Tablet

2: Screen. The screen is better. This screen is the best screen on a tablet.

With the downsides of losing remote, microsd and pen. I didn't use the remote on my other samsungs so it was no big deal. MicroSD... that was a major issue. I have an AT&T LG Optimus G with a 64gb card and had a 32 GB card on the Note 10.1. I looked and saw I use 25gb regularly (given how many games I like to keep. My plan is to use Titanium to save game progress and uninstall/reinstall games as I intend to play. The pen never meant anything to me... I just wanted a faster tablet than the 7.7 not made by Asus (and grew weary of the Kindle Fire 8.9).

Dannyada1988

Feb 20, 2013
The 10.1-inch Super PLS TFT display with 2,560×1,600 pixels is Nexus 10′s ace up the sleeve, the highest screen resolution on the market. But Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 comes with Android 4.0.3 ICS plus the Value Pack apps that get the most from the stylus and the motion controls, that provide some of the Samsung Galaxy S3 experience, and it is very fast when it comes to browsing and launching apps.

So which one to choose depends on your real demand.

mrbkkt1

Nov 12, 2007
Mililani
www.lostpowercity.net
The 10.1-inch Super PLS TFT display with 2,560×1,600 pixels is Nexus 10′s ace up the sleeve, the highest screen resolution on the market. But Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 comes with Android 4.0.3 ICS plus the Value Pack apps that get the most from the stylus and the motion controls, that provide some of the Samsung Galaxy S3 experience, and it is very fast when it comes to browsing and launching apps.

So which one to choose depends on your real demand.

Jellybean now. I loved the spen so much, that I bought a matching note 2.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

crazaytalent

Nov 7, 2008
....I would have to pick the Note 10.1

It is hard to explain why, but if I had to generalize - it is because it is simply more interesting and, for me, is much more usable as a daily driver than any other tablet. I am lucky to own several tablets: Xoom Wifi, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Galaxy Tab 7 7.0, Galaxy Note 10.1, and iPad 3 32GB/3g. I have also owned the Lenovo K1 10.1" and the Transformer Prime along with a rooted Kindle Fire with JB on it.

I have owned them all within weeks of their launch. There is no question whatsoever that the Nexus 10 is faster than the Note. I base my performance measures using Octane Benchmark on Chrome Beta which benchmarks on Octane than any other browser that I have found. (The Note averages a little over 2,000, whereas the Nexus 10 averages a blazing 3,800!)

The JB 4.1.2 update for the Note has made it even more useful - a smoother experience for certain. I actually like Touchwiz after the JB update. To me, the Nexus 10 seems just plain now. I never thought that I would say that as I was always striving to get the pure Android experience.

I like that Samsung still supports Flash in their 4.1.2 build (in the default browser). Flash is still a must for a 100% web experience, though I am not a huge fan.

I do like the Nexus 10, and was very happy that Samsung, not Asus (!), was building it for Google. My past Asus experiences were terrible (I try and forget the Transformer Prime) and though I had high hopes for the Nexus 7, it has proven to be solidly an Asus product - laggy - feeling little, if any faster than the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with the recently released JB 4.1.1 update on it.

I think the ideal tablet would be a cross between the two devices - perhaps that would be the perfect Android device I have been waiting for (no, unfortunately, none of the ones I have now can be considered that perfect one). If the Nexus 10 becomes the basis of the next gen Note, then we may just may have the perfect device.

I'm really just hoping someone will port the note's touch wiz ux over to the nexus ten and this will be my prefect device... Love my nexus hardware, but also find pure android boring and lacking useful functionality after my s3... I don't care about the s-pen, a regular stylus works just fine for me... I'm not a visual artist. But it'd be amazing to have multi view and all the other little value adds of touch wiz.

On a side note, Samsung will be announcing their galaxy tab 3 and 3+ the galaxy tab 3+ will basically be the nexus 10 with basic touch wiz, although I'm not sure if they will up the processor to the new exynos 6 or not. Last I heard it was to be exynos 5, maybe that will be your perfect tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Ghxoxst

Apr 27, 2007
so here are my two cents. Always been a nexus fan. I own a galaxy nexus phone (refuse to purchase any other phone till it wows me over my gnex), and before that had the previous nexus. Was always big on the nexus and the community that followed. I had been eyeballing the nexus 10 since news first popped up. Been following it and reading up on the beast of a tablet it was etc not even taking into consideration other tablets knowing the Nexus 10 and all its beauty was what I was going to get. I have gone in and held it, seen the beauty of a screen in person and messed around with it.. long story short, my gf just bought me a 32 gb gt n8013 aka note 10.1... and with its functionality, speed and not so bad screen at all, and the dev community behind it as well... all i can say is... NEXUS 10 who? Love my 10.1!

similar.

I am in a similar situation to the op as I'm selling my laptop and buying a 10 inch tablet. I had 3 main choices in mind, nexus 10, note 10.1 or tab 10.1 now the tab 10.1 is an ok device but it is bloody slow my gf has one and yes I use it from time to time its still just way to slow for me...

Now like a lot of people I'm a nexus fan, My phone is a nexus s, i have both 2012 and 2013 nexus 7s but sadly I cracked the screen of my 2013. so i want a nice 10' device for using in classrooms with students.

now on the surface it does seem that the n10 is superior in a lot of tech ways, but hardware isnt enough to make a good device. its a good start but not enough. so far a lot of n10 users have all said there are a lot of app problems eg with chrome and for me these issues are a no brainer. with out stable apps no matter how good the hardware is, the device wont give me what i need in daily usage. so from this standpoint it seems like the note 10 is a logical choice.

there will always be good and bad things no matter what you choose. I would love to take an N10 just to keep my stuff in the nexus family. but this is a working device so i need something with maximum comparability with apps so the question in the end is how do you intend to use it, use said development well in my opinion a device that runs almost all apps would seem to be the right choice on the other hand if you can get your apps to run on the n10 then i guess they should work on most devices... Right?!!?!

I think I'm going for the note 10.1

xdaSEx10

Nov 13, 2011
nexus 10 should be more developer friendly. Note 10(2014) is more expensive!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

_DsP_

Apr 7, 2013
Somwhere in Poland
Only reason to buy n10.1 rather than nex10 is a GSM modem feature, that nex is lacking from the very begining. That was the only reason to have a second thought. But if you want to buy note without modem its a no no :)

tapped from my nex

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    no stupid Samsung UI.

The "pure Google" thing is getting funny. What could possibly be better about having less features rather than more? Back in the days of 512K of RAM when SoCs were slow and overlays crude, poor performance drove people to AOSP/AOKP and de-bloated custom ROMs. That's not really the case anymore. The h/w is now more capable than the UI and apps running on it.

I played with a friend’s N10 over the holidays and, feature wise, it was a barren wasteland compared to the Note. The phone UI on a 10" tablet is bizarre. Similarly he was amazed at what the Note could do that his N10 couldn't. The N10 has a faster SoC than the Note but when you factor in the PPI it's pushing and that memory bandwidth is hard-partitioned to support the display it's certainly not any faster. And with app incompatibility because of the resolution some apps behave poorly or don’t work at all.

The Note has IO accessories available to match the N10's ports, takes up to a 64GB exFAT SD card for expansion, has an IR port, larger speakers than the N10, and gets significantly better battery life and charges 1/3 faster. It also doesn't have light bleed. ;) Without question the N10 will get updates ten times faster than the Note. But so what, it'll still do 1/3 of the things the Note can do right now. It'll just be Google's barren OS with updates. I've disabled Google Now because I don't use any of their native apps that it depends on to harvest data and for some reason it thinks I work at a McDonalds because I stop at one frequently. As a value-priced consumption device with a great display the N10's a solid choice. For people interested in creating and managing content the Note's a better choice. Its 147PPI display is fine for pics and videos and doesn't require upscaling like the N10's display does. It's obviously not as good for text and computer generated content like the UI and that's a compromise you have to make to get the additional features. So for people looking for something beyond consumption I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Note. It's already sold 5MM units and I'd be surprised based on its limited distribution if the N10's sold 1MM.

OP, if the things in this video mean anything to you consider the Note. If all you care about is consumption and the display the N10's a better choice.

Got them both right here!

Nexus is way better - the screen is awesome!!

Note 10.1 will be returned

I hate such a floating replies that tend to be lies , give reasons , proves or any thing, you are not helping here
    First thing you'll notice is the screen on the N10 is miles better than the Note 10.1.

The Note's display is brighter and with better contrast. Watching video at 720P content looks better on the Note because it's displayed in its native resolution. At 1080P the Note's playing below its native resolution while the N10's still upscaling. And no content exists in the N10's native resolution of 2560 x 1600 so everything needs to be upscaled. Here's an interesting article on the value of super high definition displays on mobile devices. On text and computer generated content like the UI, the N10 runs circles around the Note. Everything else, not so much for the reasons given. And at 15" away the human eye can't resolve anything higher than 229 PPI so anything above that just taxes the processor and chews up battery needlessly.

When it comes to 1080p on a smartphone, he admits that it might not matter for the most casual users. "For some people, it is possible to tell the difference if we were to sit down and study a [1080p] display and a [720p] display, side-by-side," he said in a phone interview with Ars. "If you’re really a fanatic and you study images, or you have some professional applications and you’re really into displays, then it may make a visual difference for you."

For most people, though, it won't matter. Photos are inherently fuzzy, so it won’t matter whether they’re viewed on a 1920×1080 or 1280×720 smartphone display; you’ll still see their imperfections. "Even the tiniest image detail in a photograph is always spread over more than one pixel," Dr. Soneira explained in a follow-up e-mail. "The image detail is never perfectly aligned with the pixel structure of the display." Videos are even worse: not only are they fuzzy like photographs, but the pictures are constantly moving. Even if the images were sharp, the human brain couldn’t zero in on content that’s appearing for only a fraction of a second on such a small display. "For ordinary viewing of videos, 1920×1080 is really not going to make a visual difference," adds Dr. Soneira.

Where a 1080p smartphone display could really make an impact is with computer-generated content—that is, the user interface, buttons, and text. "Only computer-generated images make full use of the pixel resolution of the display," says Dr. Soneira. "For graphics and text, maybe you want that kind of sharpness." Like desktop computers, smartphone displays can also utilize sub-pixel rendering, which helps improve the visual sharpness of computer-generated graphics.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/1080p-on-a-smartphone-screencan-it-possibly-matter/

8195655878_5d0d86c71a.jpg

Plus the faster CPU, and they're both Samsung, why would anybody choose a Note 10.1 instead? Only the stylus. So make that your pivot question. Do you need a stylus or not.

Loaded with apps the N10 and Note perform about the same. Any additional power Exynos 5 has is consumed by pushing the enormous amount of pixels the N10 has. And based on comments in the N10 and Note forum’s, the Note’s built better. Samsung makes $200 and $700 devices. To say they are both the same because their “Samsung” doesn’t account for the component and assembly differences. The Note’s dual speakers are 1/3 larger than the N10’s for example.

To say that the difference between the Note and N10 comes down to a pen isn’t really a fair assessment. Other than multi-user I can’t think of a single feature the N10 has that’s unique or that’s not included in the Note. Whereas as vice versa the list is pretty long.

- Multiview (enhanced in JB)
    - Pop up play
    - S-Pen/S-Note
    - AllShare Play and Cast
    - Enhanced camera features (smile/face/blink detection, buddy shot)
    - Mini apps (enhanced in JB)
    - Enhanced audio and video codec support
    - IR port
    - Browser h/w acceleration
    - S-Voice (added in JB)
    - Air View (added in JB)
    - Group Cast (added in JB)
    - Quick Commands
    - Voice control of apps and screen unlock

Video Air View – Preview videos without opening them. View future/past scenes in a playing video via the timeline without stopping it.

Photo Air View – Pictures contained in folders will display in thumbnails when you hover over the folder. They advance nine at a time.

E-Mail Air View – Hover the pen over a heading or contents of an e-mail summary (including via the widget) to see an exploded view of the contents without opening it.

S-Planner Air View – Hover the pen over an event or task to see an exploded view without opening it.

Pop Up Note – Tap the screen twice with the S-Pen button depressed and a pop up note will be displayed. Even on the lock screen when the device is locked. On the N8000, if you’re in a call and remove the S-Pen from its holder, a pop up note automatically opens.

Easy Clip – Capture anything on the display (lasso) anywhere and save it to the clipboard or send it an application (including S-Note).

Draw/Write on an e-mail – As it says.

Draw/Write in S-Planner – As it says (Month View only)

Color Picker – In S-Note, set the ink color to a color selected from a picture.

Pen Switch – Select multiple pen types (color, texture, weight) and toggle through them without opening the menu by pressing the button on the S-Pen once.

Sketch Affect – Change any picture to an outline, color sketch, pencil sketch and more from within S-Note.

Share S-Notes – Convert S-Notes to plain text, PDFs, or pictures and share them via Facebook etc. in one step.

Photo Note – Write personal notes on the back of photos

Gallery Organizer – Create folders and drag and drop pictures between them.​

While all that stuff’s great, I’ll say this. For people that are only looking for consumption it makes no sense to pay more for the Note and its lower PPI display. In fact, to get the most out of it, there’s a learning curve to the Note. And all those features just add complexity and get in the way for people that don’t intend to use them. But, for productivity users and content creators, there’s nothing that can match the Note no matter how much third party crap users or the devs try to ladle on top of other devices. I'm a productivity user and would only get rid of my Note for a Note with a FHD display (and I'd prefer 1920x1200). In fact, because of the above features, I dumped my Teg3 One X and got a N2 so I could have them on my phone too.

Everyone uses their devices differently so their is no single answer to "what's best?" I recommend the N10 to more people than I recommend the Note primarily because it's a better pure consumption device and cheaper too. I also recommend iStuff to my friends who think technology is nothing but a means to an end and like to have their content spoon fed to them. Different strokes. ;)

P.S. - All the Note's features were cut and pasted from this 35 page thread in the Note forum. Those deciding between the two devices might find some interesting info there including comments from people who have owned both.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952512&highlight=n10
    All right, I also wanted to point out that the Note 10.1 is a production device.. so let's look at some of the possible results.

http://imgur.com/a/6gRyH

So, the notes are made on LectureNotes, and the drawing is from LectureNotes then modified a bit with Photoshop on the Note. I'm pretty sure my note taking has gotten better as LectureNotes has been updated, but I don't want to reveal too much of my stuff so I usually keep to this set that I made like a month or two ago.
    Thank you all for your responses. I posted this thread link in the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 general section. My decision is going to be based on the helpful and persuasive posts, the outcome of the poll, and my opinion too :). Also, more opinions are welcomed in this thread :).Thanks.

PS: Those who posted helpful posts and didn't get a thanks, will get one tomorrow because I am only allowed 8 thanks a day.

OK, I have owned both the n10 and the note. Heard the bad reviews of the note so never considered it. Picked up the n10 at launch, really liked it especially the screen, but battery life wasn't great and after a few weeks I felt like I wasted money because it couldn't do as much as even my phone could.

Anyways, one day I was at sams club, and decided to play with the tablets. Picked up the note thinking, let's see how crappy this really is. I was surprised how quick it was, quicker than my n10 (especially while scrolling). Then I pulled out the pen and started trying out different features. I was floored. Called my wife, told her I was selling the n10. Bought a note the next day, and been in love with it since. Its probably changed my life as much as my first smartphone, due to the amazing productivity features like multi window. In all honesty its better than my nice Samsung laptop in almost every way, I only use that when I absolutely have to.

Trust me, the screen is still great as others have said. Text doesn't look as good, but still fine. That is such a small part of the tablet experience to me that I don't care. The better speakers are awesome, as is the excellent screen contrast. You may not think you will use the s pen, but I use it almost all the time, even if I'm not taking notes.

One final thing. While you wont get updates as quickly, know that samsung does an amazing job adding their own unique features when catching up. They usually call it the premium suite. Many of these upgrades actually include significant features not even found in new android os versions. Keep that in mind. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app