Help phone stuck at boot screen

Search This thread

qnet

Oct 26, 2011
ATL
www.network-creations.net
Hello. I just tried to unlock the bootloader on on Verizon Galaxy nexus. Now it's stuck at the bootscreen with the lock image. I did a search and couldn't find a exact answer for my issue. I hope I haven't bricked my phone. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

I wasn't trying to root just unlock the bootloader. It appeared everything went ok but, now I'm stuck. I used the same method for unlocking the bootloader on my GSM G-nex and it worked.

I know I've done something wrong or this may be something simple. I just need help so I can use my phone.

Goat_For_Sale

Jan 14, 2011
Montreal
www.NOTAREALWEBSITE.com
Yea, that was what I was eluding too, The device just came out and google released the GSM image. I am sure that it will appear online in the near future.

if you are able to get into the bootloader does it say that its unlocked ? is your google splash screen showing the unlocked padlock ? you could also try fastboot flash recovery to get cwm on there and provide additional potential solutions.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

No I don't believe I can. When I type fastboot it just says "waiting on device" I can hold the volume down & power buttons and get to the screen were it says "start" at the top and below that "downloding"

That is download mode used for odin.

hold BOTH volumn buttons and power to get into the bootloader/fastboot

qnet

Oct 26, 2011
ATL
Yea, that was what I was eluding too, The device just came out and google released the GSM image. I am sure that it will appear online in the near future.

if you are able to get into the bootloader does it say that its unlocked ? is your google splash screen showing the unlocked padlock ? you could also try fastboot flash recovery to get cwm on there and provide additional potential solutions.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

That is download mode used for odin.

hold BOTH volumn buttons and power to get into the bootloader/fastboot

Yeah, when I did the procedure it said that it was unlocked. Everything looked ok , it booted show the unlock symbol under Google. It then went to the colorful animation and was stuck there. At that time I pulled the battery and, it's been stuck at the screen showing google and the unlock image.

Goat_For_Sale

Jan 14, 2011
Montreal
www.NOTAREALWEBSITE.com
Yeah, when I did the procedure it said that it was unlocked. Everything looked ok , it booted show the unlock symbol under Google. It then went to the colorful animation and was stuck there. At that time I pulled the battery and, it's been stuck at the screen showing google and the unlock image.

you should have let the animation run for like 10 minutes the phone has to rebuild the first boot can take like 15 minutes sometimes.

try booting into the bootloader see if that works still

qnet

Oct 26, 2011
ATL
Sorry I wasn't paying attention and didn't read the part were you told me how to get to the fastboot screen. I'm there now. Can I just relock or fix the bootloader from problem there? It shows it unlocked at the fastboot screen.

Goat_For_Sale

Jan 14, 2011
Montreal
www.NOTAREALWEBSITE.com
Sorry I wasn't paying attention and didn't read the part were you told me how to get to the fastboot screen. I'm there now. Can I just relock or fix the bootloader from problem there? It shows it unlocked at the fastboot screen.

you could try fastboot oem lock and see if that works but if the phone wasn't booting i don't know if that will fix it but worth a shot.

try it out and see. it shouldn't do any harm to try

GirLuvsDroid

Feb 16, 2010
Wilmington, DE
I had the issue with the failure to boot up after doing the fastboot oem unlock (I had to use the pda net drivers to get my device recognized to get even that far). I did a lot of things like pulling the battery, locking again and then unlocking and nothing worked until I went here http://rootzwiki.com/topic/11732-galaxy-nexus-root-procedure-adb-method/, then downloaded the files following their directions and doing the fastboot boot boot.img command. It took a LONG time to boot up, but it did boot finally.

Last edited:
Reactions: qnet

qnet

Oct 26, 2011
ATL
I had the issue with the failure to boot up after doing the fastboot oem unlock (I had to use the pda net drivers to get my device recognized to get even that far). I did a lot of things like pulling the battery, locking again and then unlocking and nothing worked until I went here http://rootzwiki.com/topic/11732-galaxy-nexus-root-procedure-adb-method/, then downloaded the files following their directions and doing the fastboot boot boot.img command. It took a LONG time to boot up, but it did boot finally.

Thank you, I'll try that.

Goat_For_Sale

Jan 14, 2011
Montreal
www.NOTAREALWEBSITE.com
I have another question. One of the selections on the fastboot screen is recovery mode. Can I try that or is this something were you have to have a rom stored on a sd-card?

you could download the recovery image from

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1392336

then when connected in fast boot flash it with

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

(rename the file from the linked thread to recovery.img)

this should write your custom recovery partition.

once you have that though you are still not going to be able to boot but it would allow you to flash a nandroid backup if someone made one for you or a LTE based rom

EDIT: you could also try a factory data reset and wipe dalvk cache from withing cwm. that may fix your boot problem

Last edited:
Reactions: mixedlemon

mixedlemon

Jun 27, 2009
I had this problem, too.

I downloaded Clockwork Recovery and used 'fastboot boot LTErecovery_cwr.img' to boot into it, I wiped data and cache / factory reset and then rebooted. It rebooted twice, but after ten minutes or so I was back to the ICS Welcome screen. All of the files I'd put on my internal storage were wiped (during the oem unlock, I assume) but I'm in the stock rom but Superuser was installed and I have root access.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: looks like this is the same thing Goat_For_Sale posted above, but his command flashes CWM where mine temporarily boots into it. Since most of us will be installing CWM anyway I'd recommend using his command instead.

Last edited:

Goat_For_Sale

Jan 14, 2011
Montreal
www.NOTAREALWEBSITE.com
I had this problem, too.

I downloaded Clockwork Recovery and used 'fastboot boot LTErecovery_cwr.img' to boot into it, I wiped data and cache / factory reset and then rebooted. It rebooted twice, but after ten minutes or so I was back to the ICS Welcome screen.

Hope it helps.

where did you get the lterecovery_cwr.img ? could you link to it please

qnet

Oct 26, 2011
ATL
Solved

I believe it's fixed now. I use the method that GirLuvsDroid posted from the Rootzwiki forum. Once it rebooted, I stopped there and didn't root the phone. I was just happy to get it booted.

It's downloading all my apps and settings now. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me, I really appreciate. This was a good learning experience for me.

themoleculoman1

Dec 15, 2011
I believe it's fixed now. I use the method that GirLuvsDroid posted from the Rootzwiki forum. Once it rebooted, I stopped there and didn't root the phone. I was just happy to get it booted.

It's downloading all my apps and settings now. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me, I really appreciate. This was a good learning experience for me.

So you were just able to go through the Rootzwiki method? Were you stuck at "Downloading...Do not turn off target !!" screen when you went to boot screen originally? My device still can't be detected :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have another question. One of the selections on the fastboot screen is recovery mode. Can I try that or is this something were you have to have a rom stored on a sd-card?

you could download the recovery image from

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1392336

then when connected in fast boot flash it with

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

(rename the file from the linked thread to recovery.img)

this should write your custom recovery partition.

once you have that though you are still not going to be able to boot but it would allow you to flash a nandroid backup if someone made one for you or a LTE based rom

EDIT: you could also try a factory data reset and wipe dalvk cache from withing cwm. that may fix your boot problem
    I linked to the thread in my post, but here's a link to the mediafire upload from that thread: http://www.mediafire.com/?mdf0mtacskob5yg
    Thanks, my bad I didn't realize you were refering to the recovery image, thought it was the boot image for the LTE device.

Ahh no problem.

I got pretty worried for a second that I'd already broke my shiny new Nexus, so I'm really hoping I can help out someone else that had the same problem.