[Guide][17-5-2017]Hide Navigation Bar, Status Bar or both(Immersive Mode)-No App

Search This thread

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
Huawei Nexus 6P
ASUS ROG Phone II
Hi guys, i was searching for a way to hide the navigation bar without any app that will require you buying it or it consuming battery and after finding a couple of threads on the topic i thought of sharing my findings and also as a reference to go back to in case i forget how to. This is also good for eliminating or reducing screen burn caused by the bars on Amoled screens.

Credits go to @jplempka @cabegol @SmartPhoneLover

Type the following commands in adb/fastboot environment (adb shell) on your PC after connecting the phone in file transfer mode and usb debugging is on:

· Hide Status Bar only type:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=*

· Hide Navigation Bar only type:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=*

· Hide Both Bars type:
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.full=*

· Back to normal/default state:
adb shell settings put global policy_control null*

--------------------------------------------

Updates: (15/5/2017):

+ Immersive in all apps except certain apps
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.full=apps,-"app location",-"another app location"

Notes:
1. You can get the app location by going to "system/data/data" using any file browser with root, the location should start with the app folder name "com.appname"
Ex: com.whatsapp
2. Remove quotation marks(" ")when adding the location of the app also add an apostrophe(,) if you are adding more than one app and when typing the code there is no space after the apostrophe.

Ex: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71987561&postcount=5
Credits: @wilhexm, @rizalkhoiruddin

+ Immersive in all apps but with certain apps having Status bar not hidden
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=apps,:immersive.status=apps,-"app location",-"second app location"

Ex: adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=apps,:immersive.status=apps,-com.whatsapp

Notes:
1. You can get the app location by going to "system/data/data" using any file browser with root, the location should start with the app folder name "com.appname" ex: com.whatsapp
2. Remove quotation marks(" ")when adding the location of the app also add an apostrophe(,) if you are adding more than one app and when typing the code there is no space after the apostrophe

Credits: @beatschubser https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72300666&postcount=54

+ Immersive in all apps but with certain apps having Navigation bar not hidden
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=apps,:immersive.navigation=apps,-"app location",-"second app location"

Ex: adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=apps,:immersive.navigation=apps,-com.whatsapp

Notes:
1. You can get the app location by going to "system/data/data" using any file browser with root, the location should start with the app folder name "com.appname" ex: com.whatsapp
2. Remove quotation marks(" ")when adding the location of the app also add an apostrophe(,) if you are adding more than one app and when typing the code there is no space after the apostrophe.

By the way this method works on all rom versions i have tested it on Nougat and all commands work. Good
luck:highfive:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates: (17/5/2017):

Apps Identified to not play well with navigation and status bar hidden and how to exclude them(To be updated accordingly):
Apps List:

*Whatsapp(When typing the status bar needs to be there to see what others wrote at the same time)
*Wechat(When typing the status bar needs to be there to see what others wrote at the same time)
*Youtube(When typing the status bar and navigation bar need to be there)
*Hangouts(When typing the status bar needs to be there to see what others wrote at the same time)
---------------
Code: adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=apps,-com.google.android.youtube,:immersive.status=apps,-com.whatsapp,-com.tencent.mm,-com.google.android.youtube,-com.google.android.talk
---------------

P.S: If you want to use these commands directly on your phone without a PC you need first to be rooted, next use any shell terminal to insert the code but remove the "adb shell" part.

So in the terminal app for example if you wanted to hide both bars you type the following:

>su
>settings put global policy_control immersive.full=*

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2017
Jakarta
Hi guys, i was searching for a way to hide the navigation bar without any app that will require you buying it or it consuming battery and after finding a couple of threads on the topic i thought of sharing my findings and also as a reference to go back to in case i forget how to. This is also good for eliminating or reducing screen burn caused by the bars on Amoled screens.

Type the following commands in adb/fastboot environment (adb shell) on your PC after connecting the phone in file transfer mode and usb debugging is on:

· Hide Both Bars type:

· Back to normal/default type:

By the way this method works on all rom versions i have tested it on Nougat and all commands work. Good

Thank you for the post, this is cool! Can I choose only certain apps to be immersive? or set full immersive except some apps?

---------- Post added at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 AM ----------

Thank you for the post, this is cool! Can I choose only certain apps to be immersive? or set full immersive except some apps?

Just found the answer from https://xdaforums.com/pixel-xl/themes/how-to-enable-true-immersive-modes-t3554299

Sure!
for example, if u want to enable some apps
Code:
settings put global policy_control immersive.full=com.chrome.beta,com.google.android.apps.magazines,com.medium.reader

or if u want immersive full except some apps
Code:
settings put global policy_control immersive.full=apps,-com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher,-com.twitter.android,-com.google.android.apps.photos,-com.google.android.GoogleCamera,-com.google.android.keep,-com.android.settings

The difference is the "-" before [app full name]

In this case you can add app names or 'apps,-*app name* to enable or set full immersive except some apps

Cookiemonster51

Apr 25, 2017
Permission denied

Hi

I'm trying this directly from the phone but I got the message "setting permission denied"

I'm in debug and dev mode

Any idez please

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
Huawei Nexus 6P
ASUS ROG Phone II
Hi could you explain in more detail how one does this? Thank you. I have no knowledge of adb within Android.
Sorry, there are a lot of threads about Adb. If you are not familiar with rooting, flashing a rom. Then i suggest you don't do this. Please don't take offense but it's better to read on those topics before attempting this.

Last edited:

isaakmg

Aug 14, 2007
@ashad83
hello friend and thanks for you post.

Is possible desactivate(delete) navbar without immersive mode. For use pie etc.....my nexus 6p no root. thanks in advance.

I can´t use the code qemu.hw.mainkeys = 1....or is possible make with adb and how?

Thanks in advance....

Last edited:

DEVILOPS 007

May 24, 2016
Colchester
$ su
put global policy_control immersive.status=* <
sush: adb: not found
127|angler:/data/data/com.termux/files/home # exit
$ adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=*
No command 'adb' found, did you mean:
Command 'gdb' from package 'gdb'
$

wixvdj

Mar 10, 2017
This command work on non-rooted devices?

root@:/ # setprop qemu.hw.mainkeys 0 //to turn ON soft keys
root@:/ # setprop qemu.hw.mainkeys 1 //to turn OFF soft keys

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
Huawei Nexus 6P
ASUS ROG Phone II
@ashad83
hello friend and thanks for you post.

Is possible desactivate(delete) navbar without immersive mode. For use pie etc.....my nexus 6p no root. thanks in advance.

I can´t use the code qemu.hw.mainkeys = 1....or is possible make with adb and how?

Thanks in advance....
Hi isaak, to remove the navigation bar without root you need to take the build.prop file from the System folder using adb commands "Pull" and "Push" (If you search online you will find alot of threads on how to use the command) edit the file by adding the code: " qemu.hw....." to it on your PC and then returning the file to it's place on the phone. I am sorry i can't give you a step by step on how to do this because i am travelling, if i have time i might right a tutorial on how to do this. Good Luck

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
Huawei Nexus 6P
ASUS ROG Phone II
$ su
put global policy_control immersive.status=* <
sush: adb: not found
127|angler:/data/data/com.termux/files/home # exit
$ adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=*
No command 'adb' found, did you mean:
Command 'gdb' from package 'gdb'
$

Hi, first you need to be rooted then in the terminal type this:
>Su
>settings put global .......... (Just type the command without "adb shell")

DEVILOPS 007

May 24, 2016
Colchester
Your welcome, thanks for the feedback i also wanted to know if this worked on Samsung S8+. I am thinking of getting the Note 8 when it comes out.
Thank you:) Works absolutely perfectly. I'm thinking about working on a project in the future if people are interested where I make a flashable zip for different roms that will add immersive mode as a feature.

Reactions: Rashad83

hinds90

Feb 23, 2011
What's the benefit of on nav bar? If no nav bar how do you guys navigate around the OS?

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
Huawei Nexus 6P
ASUS ROG Phone II
What's the benefit of on nav bar? If no nav bar how do you guys navigate around the OS?
Good question, we use apps like LMT launcher or GMD gesture control instead of the navigation bar which wastes a good portion of the screen. I used both and i love both of them but i think gesture navigation is the future. Now since Nougat update i stopped using both of these apps because it's a headache to simply root and change the build.prop to simply use both apps, instead i opted to hide the status and navigation bar. You should try both apps you will enjoy your phones' screen more. :good:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

· Hide Both Bars type:

· Back to normal/default state:

--------------------------------------------

Updates: (15/5/2017):

+ Immersive in all apps except certain apps
    adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.full=apps,-"app location",-"another app location"

Notes:
    1. You can get the app location by going to "system/data/data" using any file browser with root, the location should start with the app folder name "com.appname"
    Ex: com.whatsapp

Ex: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71987561&postcount=5
    Credits: @wilhexm, @rizalkhoiruddin

+ Immersive in all apps but with certain apps having Status bar not hidden
    adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=apps,:immersive.status=apps,-"app location",-"second app location"

Ex: adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=apps,:immersive.status=apps,-com.whatsapp

Notes:
    2. Remove quotation marks(" ")when adding the location of the app also add an apostrophe(,) if you are adding more than one app and when typing the code there is no space after the apostrophe

Credits: @beatschubser https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72300666&postcount=54

+ Immersive in all apps but with certain apps having Navigation bar not hidden
    adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=apps,:immersive.navigation=apps,-"app location",-"second app location"

Ex: adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=apps,:immersive.navigation=apps,-com.whatsapp

Notes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates: (17/5/2017):

Apps Identified to not play well with navigation and status bar hidden and how to exclude them(To be updated accordingly):
    Apps List:

*Whatsapp(When typing the status bar needs to be there to see what others wrote at the same time)
    *Wechat(When typing the status bar needs to be there to see what others wrote at the same time)
    *Youtube(When typing the status bar and navigation bar need to be there)
    *Hangouts(When typing the status bar needs to be there to see what others wrote at the same time)
    ---------------
    Code: adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=apps,-com.google.android.youtube,:immersive.status=apps,-com.whatsapp,-com.tencent.mm,-com.google.android.youtube,-com.google.android.talk
    ---------------

P.S: If you want to use these commands directly on your phone without a PC you need first to be rooted, next use any shell terminal to insert the code but remove the "adb shell" part.

So in the terminal app for example if you wanted to hide both bars you type the following:

>su
    >settings put global policy_control immersive.full=*
    I'm trying to combine things here:
    I want to hide navigation bar when using any app except Nova Launcher AND want to hide status bar to all apps except Nova Launcher and WhatsApp (WhatsApp does not work well with status bar hidden, maybe something related to my lower DPI).

I'm using these two commands:

settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=apps,-com.teslacoilsw.launcher
    settings put global policy_control immersive.status=apps,-com.teslacoilsw.launcher,-com.whatsapp

When I run the second one, the settings applied by the first one are 'discarded'. Any ideas on how to combine these two commands to have a full immersive mode on all apps (except Nova Launcher) and to show only statusbar on WhatsApp? I've tried several combinations with no luck.

There's actually a way you can do this.

Example
    • App A: status bar only
    • App B: nav bar only
    • App C: fully immersive

Code:
    settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=app.a,app.c:immersive.status=app.b,app.c

Both commands are executed at once and won't override themselves.

Regards :cool:

· Hide Both Bars type:

· Back to normal/default type:

---------- Post added at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 AM ----------

Just found the answer from https://xdaforums.com/pixel-xl/themes/how-to-enable-true-immersive-modes-t3554299

Sure!
    for example, if u want to enable some apps
    Code:
    settings put global policy_control immersive.full=com.chrome.beta,com.google.android.apps.magazines,com.medium.reader

or if u want immersive full except some apps
    Code:
    settings put global policy_control immersive.full=apps,-com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher,-com.twitter.android,-com.google.android.apps.photos,-com.google.android.GoogleCamera,-com.google.android.keep,-com.android.settings

The difference is the "-" before [app full name]

In this case you can add app names or 'apps,-*app name* to enable or set full immersive except some apps
    Amazing guide, thanks @tnick84 and @rizalkhoiruddin for sharing it.
    I found an app that can help you guys with the package name: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.csdroid.pkg
    Thank you for this info, also I just tested it using Android terminal and it works well. I don't always have PC nearby to test things, very nice.