I9000 working on 3G 850MHz HSDPA Band!!

Search This thread

Dandarebr

Apr 26, 2008
Sao Paulo
Hello,

This was posted on the Captivate forum and I don't know if this is true. I'm actually looking for some people to try this feature as I don't have the I9000 (yet).

When I opened a service menu (global version i9000), there was an option to enable 850MHz HSDPA band. It is disabled out of the box. I know that it works, because, at the place where I tested it, I couldn't get 3G data - only EDGE mode worked. When I enabled 850 band, phone found 3G network. Thus hardware is quad band for both GSM and 3G.

Thanks

Could someone test this feature? I mean REALLY test it? Test this feature in an area where only 850 MHZ is avaiable? I think someone using the i9000 on AT&T will be able to test.

Thanks

Last edited:

dipac

Jul 15, 2010
Adelaide
This information is not correct for the international version. I tested on on purchased from HK but used in Australia and while i can get to the service mode command, i get an error when i try to set WCDMA mode to 850.

Procedure below:

1. on the key pad, type *#*#197328640#*#*
2. Select [1] Debug Screen
3. Select [8] Phone control
4. Select [7] Network control
5. Select [2] and selection
6. Select [2] WCDMA band []
7. Select [6] WCDMA 850

After this i get
"MENU NOT EXIST"
"PRESS BACK KEY"
Current command is 187226

Except i'm doing something wrong it appears that i can't set the WCDMA mode to 850.

NeoXTC

Dec 13, 2007
Brisbane
I'm pretty sure the bands the phone can operate in is a hardware limitation. So unless someone opens up the phone and identifies the chip that does this, I highly doubt u can use 850 band on it.

Kilack

Jul 2, 2010
This information is not correct for the international version. I tested on on purchased from HK but used in Australia and while i can get to the service mode command, i get an error when i try to set WCDMA mode to 850.

Procedure below:

7. Select [6] WCDMA 850

After this i get
"MENU NOT EXIST"
"PRESS BACK KEY"

Except i'm doing something wrong it appears that i can't set the WCDMA mode to 850.

What if you select it to all bands?
never mind i tried it, just selects everything except 850, so its hardware limited, radio doesnt support it.
Would have been nice though :)

Last edited:

Kilack

Jul 2, 2010
I'm pretty sure the bands the phone can operate in is a hardware limitation. So unless someone opens up the phone and identifies the chip that does this, I highly doubt u can use 850 band on it.

This is correct! but sometimes the radio will support bands that aren't enabled in the firmware, was hopeful :).

Kilack

Jul 2, 2010
Actually managed to enable 850...

Go down to combin bands, then enable it, then you can go back to wcdma band and select it there..

I dont have an 850 network to test on to see if it actually works though, doubt it does but worth a try...

update: nevermind doesn't work, checking info in the setup menu can still see it using 2100.

Last edited:

Dandarebr

Apr 26, 2008
Sao Paulo

Go down to combin bands, then enable it, then you can go back to wcdma band and select it there..

I dont have an 850 network to test on to see if it actually works though, doubt it does but worth a try...

update: nevermind doesn't work, checking info in the setup menu can still see it using 2100.

Maybe it's because you are actually using 2100 at that moment. You should try using 3G when in a 850 MHZ only region.

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
Ok trying it so far so good... can someone tell me how to determine what band I am currently using?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

INeedYourHelp

Mar 28, 2010

Procedure below:

7. Select [6] WCDMA 850

After this i get
"MENU NOT EXIST"
"PRESS BACK KEY"

I get the same exact thing.... Can someone PLZ tell us how to do this?

Dark-Master

Jul 25, 2010
I got

"MENU NOT EXIST"
"PRESS BACK KEY"

too.

I think it's just hardware limitations. We can't enable thing we don't have on our phone. I'm hoping that I'm so wrong because my provider is using 850MHz for 3G.

reuthermonkey

Mar 2, 2009
St. Louis
I got

"MENU NOT EXIST"
"PRESS BACK KEY"

too.

I think it's just hardware limitations. We can't enable thing we don't have on our phone. I'm hoping that I'm so wrong because my provider is using 850MHz for 3G.
It's a software limitation. Radio firmware doesn't seem to have it enabled, but if you have a Radio firmware that can enable it, you'll have access to that band.

dmulligan

Oct 17, 2008

Maybe it's because you are actually using 2100 at that moment. You should try using 3G when in a 850 MHZ only region.

Enabling 850 under Combi Bands certainly makes 850 available under WCDMA BAND. My gut tells me that just enabling wcdma 850 under combi and leaving the band selection automatic is the way to go. I am currently in a 850 + 1900 region and I cannot make the phone go to 850 only. However when I select automatic wcdma 850 goes away again.

I wish I had tried this 4 days ago as I was in an 850 only region on the weekend.

D

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA