[HOW-TO] Easily resize system + data partitions!

Search This thread

effortless.

Jul 11, 2011
BIG THANKS TO MUR4IK FOR THIS TOOL! Be sure to donate to him and support his work!

Cannot get the builder to run or use Linux/Mac? Solution here! :D

In this guide I will be showing you how to resize your data + system partitions for more/less space.

Things you will need:
LG GT540 w/ A Fastboot ROM installed
LG drivers and Fastboot/ADB drivers installed
Windows (with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed. If you have trouble launching the program, (re)install .NET 3.5 SP1. Also this tool will not work with Wine on Linux.)
Your phones USB cable.

WARNING: MAKE SURE TO NANDROID BACKUP YOUR ROM BEFORE CHANGING THE PARTITION SIZES! YOU MAY NEED IT LATER. ALSO, THIS TOOL DOES NOT REMOVE RECOVERY.
First of all, grab the SwiftBootloaderBuilder.zip from http://kulkoff.com/swift/ or from here.
(Mur4ik's site is recommended)

Next, put your phone into Fastboot Mode (Camera+Power)

Extract the files to your Desktop using any archiving program. Then go to the folder you extracted. Right Click and Select 'Run as Administrator'
runasadmine.png

You will see a window like this pop up:
sbtbm.png

Now we can alter the partition sizes. If you want the same effects as Mur4ik's 234MB DATA KDZ, choose 150MB system, and the data column will change accordingly. If you want a bit more system space (eg. To run airbus360's LG Optimus One ROM) Select 190 system. Basically, adjust the settings to how you want. My recommendations are:

For SwiftDroid, joe.stone AOSP, airbus360 AOSP, EleganceSwift, MMXTREM 2.1 Lite, Quarx Black ROM: 150 system 234 data
For airbus360 Optimus One: 190 system 194 data
For stock 2.1: 250 system 134 data

Once you have decided on the size you want, hit 'Flash New Bootloader' and confirm you really want to do this. You will get a 'Done' message and then click OK. Select 'Wipe Data' and then Reboot Device. After you click reboot, hold down HOME until recovery pops up.

Now you have two choices. Either install a new ROM from scratch, or restore your nandroid backup you made earlier.
This tool also has the option to remove fastboot and recovery from the device, so you can return to stock firmware, and possibly use regular LG updates again.

Thats it!

If you've got any questions, PM me or reply to the thread.

Also, don't forget to say
thanksbutton.png
if I helped!

Last edited:

Mur4ik

Aug 24, 2010
Hi. Thats should be added in header that this "tool" has a requirements MS .NET frameworks 3.5 SP1 and adove.

Reactions: alexsirb

effortless.

Jul 11, 2011
Mur4ik,
Because this tool can save the bootloader instead of flashing it, would it work to save the bootloader using the tool in Wine, then flashing it with fastboot (maybe a solution for Linux users) What would the command be to flash this boot bootloader?
Thanks.

Reactions: loveboy_lion

effortless.

Jul 11, 2011
Code:
fastboot flash APPSBL your_file_filename.mbn

Thanks, I will try later!

EDIT: Doesn't matter, .NET 3.5 SP1 wont install, also using Winetricks didn't help. But what I might do is, create a load of bootloader files (on my Windows machine) and then upload them, so users can flash w/ fastboot.

Last edited:

tejasjadhav

Nov 13, 2010
Mumbai
tejasjadhav.xyz
Anyone knows how to get fastboot on fresh stock ROM without that KDZ stuff? Coz I'd just bricked my phone (dead phone), but the LG people in India are too generous to fix it in two hours.
I won't take any risks with KDZ. But I'm missing Swiftdroid and other stuff. Please can someone tell how do I install fastboot somehow without using KDZ?

eoghan2t7

Recognized Contributor
Jan 18, 2011
Belfast
OPPO Find X2 Pro
OPPO Find X5 Pro
Anyone knows how to get fastboot on fresh stock ROM without that KDZ stuff? Coz I'd just bricked my phone (dead phone), but the LG people in India are too generous to fix it in two hours.
I won't take any risks with KDZ. But I'm missing Swiftdroid and other stuff. Please can someone tell how do I install fastboot somehow without using KDZ?
You could root your phone then use root explorer and copy the flash image file to the bin folder then run the command mur4ik posted in this thread but change fastboot to flash_image run the command in terminial that should work.

This is the command

su
flash_image APPSBL your_file_filename.mbn

Sent from my GT540 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: tejasjadhav

effortless.

Jul 11, 2011

You might be able to flash it using flash_image. But either: flash_image may not be able to access the appsbl partition or it may not be able to be changed 'on the fly' so to speak. You can try this, not sure if it will work, root is needed, not sure if it will brick your phone, I have not tried this method.

Download either:
150 system 234 data
250 system 134 data

and also download flash_image from here
Put the .mbn and flash_image file on your SDCard.

Open a terminal emulator and type the following:
Code:
su (press allow when prompt comes up)
cd /sdcard/
chmod +x ./flash_image (if this doesn't work, try chmod +x flash_image)
./flash_image appsbl appsboot_150_234_64.mbn (or appsboot_250_134_64.mbn)
sync

Now try entering fastboot and flash recovery. In theory, it should work.

oh snap, Eoghan beat me to it :)

Reactions: tejasjadhav

tejasjadhav

Nov 13, 2010
Mumbai
tejasjadhav.xyz
@eoghan and effortless.
Thanks for your help, I'll try that later.

EDIT: One doubt, I don't think it's possible to resize partitions while using them.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BIG THANKS TO MUR4IK FOR THIS TOOL! Be sure to donate to him and support his work!

Cannot get the builder to run or use Linux/Mac? Solution here! :D

In this guide I will be showing you how to resize your data + system partitions for more/less space.

Things you will need:
    LG GT540 w/ A Fastboot ROM installed
    LG drivers and Fastboot/ADB drivers installed
    Windows (with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed. If you have trouble launching the program, (re)install .NET 3.5 SP1. Also this tool will not work with Wine on Linux.)
    Your phones USB cable.

WARNING: MAKE SURE TO NANDROID BACKUP YOUR ROM BEFORE CHANGING THE PARTITION SIZES! YOU MAY NEED IT LATER. ALSO, THIS TOOL DOES NOT REMOVE RECOVERY.
    First of all, grab the SwiftBootloaderBuilder.zip from http://kulkoff.com/swift/ or from here.
    (Mur4ik's site is recommended)

Next, put your phone into Fastboot Mode (Camera+Power)

Extract the files to your Desktop using any archiving program. Then go to the folder you extracted. Right Click and Select 'Run as Administrator'
    runasadmine.png

You will see a window like this pop up:
    sbtbm.png

Now we can alter the partition sizes. If you want the same effects as Mur4ik's 234MB DATA KDZ, choose 150MB system, and the data column will change accordingly. If you want a bit more system space (eg. To run airbus360's LG Optimus One ROM) Select 190 system. Basically, adjust the settings to how you want. My recommendations are:

For SwiftDroid, joe.stone AOSP, airbus360 AOSP, EleganceSwift, MMXTREM 2.1 Lite, Quarx Black ROM: 150 system 234 data
    For airbus360 Optimus One: 190 system 194 data
    For stock 2.1: 250 system 134 data

Once you have decided on the size you want, hit 'Flash New Bootloader' and confirm you really want to do this. You will get a 'Done' message and then click OK. Select 'Wipe Data' and then Reboot Device. After you click reboot, hold down HOME until recovery pops up.

Now you have two choices. Either install a new ROM from scratch, or restore your nandroid backup you made earlier.
    This tool also has the option to remove fastboot and recovery from the device, so you can return to stock firmware, and possibly use regular LG updates again.

Thats it!

If you've got any questions, PM me or reply to the thread.

thanksbutton.png
    if I helped!
    [Sub-Tutorial] Solution for people who are unable to use builder and Linux/Mac users!

There are reports of Windows XP users having trouble running the bootloader builder. Also, Linux users are unable to use the builder too. I have a solution :D

I have pre-built some bootloader files for you, which you can flash via fastboot!

Here are some default sized bootloaders for you:
    System:150 Data:234
    System:190 Data:194
    System: 250 Data: 134 (Default LG partition sizes, needed for Stock 2.1 ROMs and Enigma Soft Mod)

REMEMBER TO NANDROID BACKUP! (YOU WILL NEED TO INSTALL IT LATER)

Download the one you want and put the phone in fastboot mode. Use the following command to flash it:
    Code:
    fastboot flash APPSBL your_file_name.mbn
    fastboot reboot
    If your phone sticks at its kernel screen, pull out the battery, put it back in, and then go into recovery. Now, restore your ROM.

If you need any specific partition size, just reply or PM me.

thanksbutton.png
    if I helped!
    Mur4ik,
    Because this tool can save the bootloader instead of flashing it, would it work to save the bootloader using the tool in Wine, then flashing it with fastboot (maybe a solution for Linux users) What would the command be to flash this boot bootloader?
    Thanks.

Code:
    fastboot flash APPSBL your_file_filename.mbn
    Anyone with WinXP SP3 32-bit has got it working successfully?? I still can't make it work. Resizing, removing fastboot & recovery doesn't work for me.

I have only tried on Windows 7, but i'll try it on my netbook soon (that runs XP)
    Working fine for me (XP SP3 w/ .NET 3.5 SP1) No issues at all, also partitions resize ok too.