[Library] Color picker (Open Source)

Search This thread

Devmil

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right forum, so please forgive me if it isn't;)

During the development of Minimalistic Text I came across the lack of a good color picker view for Android.
In the first attempt I used the one from the samples (The "Ring").
The second attempt has been to integrate this one and add the possibility to change the alpha channel.
In the end I decided to build my own.
To let you use this color picker and - if you like to and are able to - improve it, I've extracted it into an Android library project and made it open source.
It's hosted at Google Code:
http://code.google.com/p/devmil-android-color-picker/

The code has almost no code comments. I will add them if I have time.
At the moment it is localized to German and English.

Please let me know what you think and write me an email if you want to contribute.

Thanks

Devmil

Here are some screenshots (in German):

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• scrn1.jpg
    scrn1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 10,394
  • scrn2.jpg
    scrn2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 10,246
  • scrn3.jpg
    scrn3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 10,433
Last edited:

afzkl

Mar 3, 2010
I guess you never found hxxp://code.google.com/p/color-picker-view/ which has been around for a while now. It got an optional alpha slider too.

But on the other hand it doesn't support HEX input or RGB sliders like yours.;)

Devmil

Nov 10, 2010
I guess you never found hxxp://code.google.com/p/color-picker-view/ which has been around for a while now. It got an optional alpha slider too.

But on the other hand it doesn't support HEX input or RGB sliders like yours.;)
no, I haven't found this one. But the one I have used before is quite similar. I added the alpha slider to it.
The main difference for the new selector is the choice between the three input methods.

axeriano

Jan 22, 2008
Working on project created ColorPickerPreference.
Shared it here github.com/attenzione/android-ColorPickerPreference (sorry, can't post links)

Why not RGB sliders or HEX input field?
because regular users will not use them. this is our project group opinion

Smasher816

Jan 16, 2011
Missouri
plus.google.com
OP Thanks, this is just what i was looking for. I wanted a color picker where you could choose a color like in photoshop but also input exact values for the more advanced users. Is it alright if i take a look at the code and see if I can get it all on one tab. Ill probably just end up using your stock one though.

Devmil

Nov 10, 2010
OP Thanks, this is just what i was looking for. I wanted a color picker where you could choose a color like in photoshop but also input exact values for the more advanced users. Is it alright if i take a look at the code and see if I can get it all on one tab. Ill probably just end up using your stock one though.
Yes, of course! This is why it is open source :)

Devmil

Reactions: vnation and jdhas

MacDegger

Dec 20, 2008
Thank you!

When I was programming for WM in c# I had occasion to need a colour picker, but never really found one and couldn't be bothered to create it myself (the program was intensive enough by itself not to want to add something like this to it). Now I have transitioned to android I'm sure that I'll need this at one point. so thank you for sharing this! I might never need it (although I'm pretty sure I will use it), but if and when I do, I'll be damn thankful that you put in the effort!

So again, thanks!

-edit-
I'm having some trouble getting the code...seems I need some kind of version control software, but I wouldn't know which one (Mercurial?). Could you add a source download (.zip or .rar) for me to download so I could use (link/include) it in Eclipse? Or am I really being a noob at this (I have successfully used other libraries in c#, so I'm not a total noob :p).

On further inspection: I can access the sourcecode, but I guess I just don't know code.google.com AT ALL. I can create a server side clone (don't want to do that, I think), and I can go through all the files in the source and copy/paste to local files, but do I really have to do that to integrate this? Could someone tell me (or point to a tutorial) the best way to get all the code local so I cn use it? Or is the best way just to check out the source online (source file by source file) and copy/paste it into my own project as and how I need it?

Sorry for being a noob, but as I mentioned, I come from c# and have zero experience with code.google.com. I know enough to get everything into my Eclipse project through copy/paste, but there must be a better way!

PS: on winxp sp3, eclipse 3.6 (android 2.2, targetting 1.6, but that's beside the point, if I'm at all in the right ballpark :p)

Last edited:

Devmil

Nov 10, 2010
You can download the source code using a Mercurial client.
I have pushed a compiled library into the downloads section. So if you don't want to have the source code and build it on your own you can simply use the library.

Reactions: jakelong00

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right forum, so please forgive me if it isn't;)

During the development of Minimalistic Text I came across the lack of a good color picker view for Android.
    In the first attempt I used the one from the samples (The "Ring").
    The second attempt has been to integrate this one and add the possibility to change the alpha channel.
    In the end I decided to build my own.
    To let you use this color picker and - if you like to and are able to - improve it, I've extracted it into an Android library project and made it open source.
    It's hosted at Google Code:
    http://code.google.com/p/devmil-android-color-picker/

The code has almost no code comments. I will add them if I have time.
    At the moment it is localized to German and English.

Please let me know what you think and write me an email if you want to contribute.

Thanks

Devmil

Here are some screenshots (in German):

attachment.php
    attachment.php

attachment.php
    Yes, of course! This is why it is open source :)

Devmil
    Yes, you can use it for whatever you like. Including paid apps.
    You can download the source code using a Mercurial client.
    I have pushed a compiled library into the downloads section. So if you don't want to have the source code and build it on your own you can simply use the library.