Moved from Galaxy S5 to which device?

Search This thread

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
I got offered all three for the S5, so it was kind of a no brainer. I'm now toying with the idea of trading the iPhone for another S5, and trading the Note 3 for an iPhone, seems long winded but that's the only option. I need an android phone and a phone with iOS.

Keep the Note 3 mate! I am in the fortunate situation of owning the S5 and a Note 3. Once you get a big screen device like the Note there's no going back. I still prefer it over any other phone I have ever had (including the HTC One M8 which I had for a few days)

nintendolinky

May 7, 2009
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
When people see new devices it's like an ora of "I want" - you'd be surprised what some people would offer for something so that they can get their hands on it straight away. Crazy offers aren't that uncommon tbh.

Sent from my ZX Spectrum +2 magically via an app.

True and that's what he did. He wanted the newest phone out, I.e the Galaxy S5 and I had the opportunity of getting a 2013, 32GB Nexus 7, iPhone 5S, Gold, Unlocked and a Black Galaxy Note 3. WHO WOULDN'T TRADE THAT.

DoUevenRoot

Jan 4, 2013
Parts Unknown
Regarding the lag, I've read a few places (reviews also) that it can be pretty bad, how true is it? - surely a phone with such a high spec shouldn't lag even with TW bloat?

I've had mine since Saturday and haven't noticed any lag at all... I also did the update right away and removed lookout though. Also, once you root, you'll see the stock cache size is 128k on the cfq scheduler. I set it to 4096 and test-iosched and, well, you be the judge...
a7u7a5u4.jpg

a8u3uvug.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Active_Matrix
I 100% agree, I still prefer the Note 3 and really looking forward to seeing what the Note 4 has to offer!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I just hope those hideous artist renders Sammobile keeps using aren't the real deal.... It looks like something a roadworker dropped and the tarmac machine consequently ran over twice ...

Ave666

Nov 18, 2011
I've got s5 and my wife Note3. I'm thinking of getting white s5 instead of black

Sent from my SM-G900F using xda app-developers app

juntjoo

Apr 23, 2007
Moto G Power
What's with all these size freaks. Are you all smaller down there also hence the preference on the note 3? Should be an interesting poll. just came from an s2 so this is great but I can't imagine why you would want anything bigger than this wonderfully sized s5. If it were any bigger my pinky would pass out or cramp up or something bad. And if it were any faster it would be pulling up apps as I thought of them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

fineazbro

Jan 24, 2011
hollywood
If you think the S5 is fast i dare you try the M8, it flies and look at the the M8 tread here on xda its like 20 custom roms already.Loving it .
unlock boat loader> S-off >super CID>sim unlocked>GPE >viper rom.....best of both world i'm loving it :laugh:
oh hold on let me rephrase that i meant to say the best of all world

Last edited:
Reactions: brazcub

brazcub

Oct 1, 2008
Winthrop, WA
If you think the S5 is fast i dare you try the M8, it flies and look at the the M8 tread here on xda its like 20 custom roms already.Loving it .
unlock boat loader> S-off >super CID>sim unlocked>GPE >viper rom.....best of both world i'm loving it :laugh:

Too bad there's nothing you can do about that horrible camera. No software can fix that...

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
Too bad there's nothing you can do about that horrible camera. No software can fix that...

Lets not forget the fact that if can't get wet. If you drop it its more than likely gonna be all banged up.. Good thing its got a crappy camera and you couldn't replace your point and shoot with it, because a good camera needs to have an option to replace the battery.. I mean is there any point and shoots that have a permanent battery? Go camping ever? Wanna go to disney world for the day and take hundreds of photos of the kids? like a normal point and shoot you better have another battery.

Reactions: brazcub

Captainblade

Aug 15, 2011
yorkshire
I've had the s5 6 days now and haven't seen any lag at all it is really quick it will get even better when some more roms come

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
What's with all these size freaks. Are you all smaller down there also hence the preference on the note 3? Should be an interesting poll. just came from an s2 so this is great but I can't imagine why you would want anything bigger than this wonderfully sized s5. If it were any bigger my pinky would pass out or cramp up or something bad. And if it were any faster it would be pulling up apps as I thought of them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The note 3 seems massive, but once you use it you'll never want to use a smaller screen again. I ditched mine for an Nexus 5, mainly for the Knox reasons and the pure hassle of it, but I still miss a bigger screen.

Sent from my Slimmed ZX Spectrum +2 Via an app or something..

Reactions: apprentice

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
The note 3 seems massive, but once you use it you'll never want to use a smaller screen again. I ditched mine for an Nexus 5, mainly for the Knox reasons and the pure hassle of it, but I still miss a bigger screen.

Sent from my Slimmed ZX Spectrum +2 Via an app or something..

I came from a Note 2 and much prefer the s5 size. It fits in the hand better and the screen isn't that much smaller really. Still got the note 2 as a back up.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ukemochi

Aug 14, 2012
It's all simulated lag. Turn off double click to start S-Voice. Disable My Magazine. Turn all animations down to 0.5x and BOOM, "lag" gone.

I actually did this side by side with the M8. I noticed the M8 was ridiculously fast at opening and switching between apps and the S5 was always slightly behind. After changing the animations on the S5 to 0.5x, BAM same speed.

Thanks man for the tip, the lag is gone. For all the people that say they don't see lag, use an HTC M8 for 30 minutes then use an S5, you will then see the lag.

I use both Samsung Galaxy S5
HTC One M8 THE POWER AT FINGERTIPS IS OVERWHELMING!

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Oh god please stop with the camera crap, if you care that much about a camera get a Nokia. I own the M8 and the S5 and the picture quality on both is great. And if it needs to be so damn good buy a real camera.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Big and awkward to hold from what I hear ;)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I owned the T-Mobile Z1s, never again, and yes it's very odd feeling in the hand.

Reactions: radicalisto

THFourteen

Mar 20, 2012
Had mine for a few days now after moving from my S3.

Was a bit worried about touchwiz and lag but I'm on nova launcher and there is very little lag apart from opening the camera and gallery apps which I was expecting anyway.

So far love the phone. The one handed mode is excellent for when you are not sitting down. The camera is better than my s3.

Must say tho, there really isn't THAT much improvement from the s3, at the end of the day I think we have reaches a plateau in smart phones where each next version isn't all that much better than the previous.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That's what I am trying to decipher before I get one lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Well, I've owned one for about a week now and I don't have all this lag that some people are talking about. Sure there might be a tiny hiccup here and there and some of the native apps take a second or two to open up from a cold start, but I don't have any major issues.

It is nothing out of the ordinary and it's an overall fast and smooth device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Where is this "a lot of lag" coming from? I just don't have it and am curious where it's coming from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

It's all simulated lag. Turn off double click to start S-Voice. Disable My Magazine. Turn all animations down to 0.5x and BOOM, "lag" gone.

I actually did this side by side with the M8. I noticed the M8 was ridiculously fast at opening and switching between apps and the S5 was always slightly behind. After changing the animations on the S5 to 0.5x, BAM same speed.
    I went to the s5 from the s3, as I skip every other galaxy. (s1-s3-s5). I have to say, what a difference between this and the s3. Dont get me wrong, they are both similar. But a 1080p amoled is stunning, the phone also feels great and is a beast. Also, not sure why so many people are complaining about the finger scanner, I can easily unlock using one hand and my thumb. Great phone !
    Regarding the lag, I've read a few places (reviews also) that it can be pretty bad, how true is it? - surely a phone with such a high spec shouldn't lag even with TW bloat?

I've had mine since Saturday and haven't noticed any lag at all... I also did the update right away and removed lookout though. Also, once you root, you'll see the stock cache size is 128k on the cfq scheduler. I set it to 4096 and test-iosched and, well, you be the judge...
    a7u7a5u4.jpg

a8u3uvug.jpg