ICS 4.04 disapointment ...

Search This thread

dizzy33

Apr 27, 2007
Hello, I just installed the stock ICS on my Xoom, and I'm disapointed ...
As everybody was saying "the Xoom is now a whole new device", I was expecting so ...
There are good points with ICS :
- new functionalities like icons directories.
- gpu acceleration for a few 2D applications.
- a few websites are now smoother.
- typing texts in forums is now fast.
- a lot more available memory : around 512Mb instead of 400Mb in 3.2.1. EDIT : since a reboot of my Xoom, the available memory dropped down to 360Mb !!!

But I was expecting a lot more fluidity, smoothness, from the 2D applications of Android.
- the new market is more laggy than the one of honeycomb 3.2.1.
- some web pages are smoother now, but some other are slower !!!! XDA for exemple lags more than in 3.2.1 !!!
- the 2D GPU acceleration does not work for all applications : even when "force 2d acceleration" is selected, some applications become smooth, some other don't, even when they are the same kind of applications.
- stock web browser crashes more than in 3.2.1.
- on stock browser search string on some forums don't work anymore (try on XDA !), same problem with some dropdown menus which let the web page disappearing ...
- the new kill apps system in ICS does not really kill all apps. So we still need an app killer.
- the portrait mode is still laggy compared to the landscape mode.
- the available memory, when the Xoom has just been rebooted, vary between 510Mb and 360Mb ... !!! With absolutly no change in my Xoom configuration.
- When you force OFF the screen rotation in landscape mode, if you lock the Xoom and put it in portrait position, when you unlock the Xoom the display will be in portrait mode, and right after the Xoom will be unlocked it will go back to Landscape mode. This bug didn't exist in Honeycomb.
- the cursor to select text to copy seems more difficult to position than in Honeycomb.
- if you kill the stock browser with an app killer, when you relaunch the browser it will then open the last visited website, which is as expected. But if you kill the browser with the Android task killer, then the browser (when relaunched) will display nothing.

So I don't feel like I have a new device, some things are better, some worse.
As I am very concerned by the Android fluidity, ICS is a big step forward, but there are still some more steps to do, and I hope we will be able, one day, to see Android as fluid as an ipad on our Xoom ... But I guess I should stop dreaming.

Last edited:

glock20c

May 22, 2011
Maybe you should trying running one of those custom ROMS and see if you see and
better performance or features..it's worth a shot

dizzy33

Apr 27, 2007
Maybe you should trying running one of those custom ROMS and see if you see and
better performance or features..it's worth a shot

You may be right but I would expect Google to optimize more Android without the need of tuning a custom Rom to gain (maybe) a few more images per seconds ...

With this thread I wanted to ađvise people who are still waiting for the ICS update to minimize what they can expect of it, this way they may not be as disapointed as I was...

ZanshinG1

Apr 21, 2009
San Diego
wahtod.org
There will always be people taking personaly what you say about their toy ! This kind of people should just open their eyes, and stop being agressive.

No.

Most of the stuttering is caused by apps which are written by developers who don't really understand Android,

Seriously.

Pay attention to which apps aren't responsive. Look at memory use, wake locks, watch for unnecessary services and background threads.

Eliminate apps one-by-one until stuttering in menus and the desktop stops. Don't run live wallpapers.

Factory reset. System settings from prior Android revisions can cause problems.

I have fixed many of my friends' Android devices when they blamed the device or OS for lag.

Stock 4.04 is quite responsive and fluid. If yours isn't, it's probably the apps you've installed or settings conflicts.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Change animation settings under development to none or at least down to .5 from 1.0.
Use a third party launcher and third party browser if unsatisfied with stock. We have choice...we can use it.

My Xoom is as smooth as butter...no lag or stutter at all.

dizzy33

Apr 27, 2007
I always choose the apps to install according to their fluidity. I know some apps are badly developped. I also have no apps running in background (that's why I choosed the stock ICS), always killing running apps before running a new one. I also don't use animated background.
I do my best to let my Xoom run as smooth as possible.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I always choose the apps to install according to their fluidity. I know some apps are badly developped. I also have no apps running in background (that's why I choosed the stock ICS), always killing running apps before running a new one. I also don't use animated background.
Have you changed your animation settings under Developer Options (in Settings Menu, toward the bottom) If you don't need animations, then change the settings to "none" it will make a difference.

dizzy33

Apr 27, 2007
Change animation settings under development to none or at least down to .5 from 1.0.
Use a third party launcher and third party browser if unsatisfied with stock. We have choice...we can use it.

My Xoom is as smooth as butter...no lag or stutter at all.

Thanks for these advises but the problem for me is not the speed of the device but its fluidity. So changing the animation setting did change the speed of the way the menu are displayed but not the fluidity of the animations.
About the fird party launcher, I think it will not make it run smoother as it will run in the background and occupy memory.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Thanks for these advises but the problem for me is not the speed of the device but its fluidity. So changing the animation setting did change the speed of the way the menu are displayed but not the fluidity of the animations.
About the fird party launcher, I think it will not make it run smoother as it will run in the background and occupy memory.
Why, I don't know, but I have always found increased smoothness from launcher like ADWEX. As they say, "your mileage may vary." The configuration in my signature represents what I think is probably the best, smoothest and fastest combination I can find. I also have tons of apps and a pretty elaborate theme and still my Xoom is butter-smooth. It can be done.

enomele

Jun 16, 2010
chippewa

Why kill the apps before running a new one? If you are choosing apps based on how well programmed they are that seems completely unnecessary.

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium

willysp

Apr 6, 2010
Hi,

You didn't mention what apps you are running.

I'm running 4.0.4 stock rooted - and no issues in general. It got very laggy once after running for a week, but a reboot fixed it. Like any OS, very complex and not perfect - reboot once in a while.

I honestly don't find ICS to be very much different than HC (nor did I expect it to be). (ICS is what google wanted HC to be but ran out of time, so released HC)

smegatron

Oct 23, 2010

Adw auncher makes for a much smoother home screen experiance than stock. Stock struggles with more than a couple of Widgets. Its a diferant experiance, but definatly faster.

ZanshinG1

Apr 21, 2009
San Diego
wahtod.org

Which is why you were so quick to see my original suggestion as a personal attack?

Last edited:

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
You know, there are lots of fixes for any problems this device had at one time, but many require rooting and installing custom roms/kernels/recoveries and certain non-stock apps. I realize that some people like staying stock as much as possible...I don't. I want to get root immediately and start customizing. That's just me. Some people don't like to eat meat...I do. Some people can't imagine not driving everywhere...I've never owned a car. We're all different. But sometimes you just have to understand that your desire to stay all stock comes at a price. Lag exists. That's why custom roms exist...to eliminate lag, among other brilliant things.

dizzy33

Apr 27, 2007
You know, there are lots of fixes for any problems this device had at one time, but many require rooting and installing custom roms/kernels/recoveries and certain non-stock apps. I realize that some people like staying stock as much as possible...I don't. I want to get root immediately and start customizing. That's just me. Some people don't like to eat meat...I do. Some people can't imagine not driving everywhere...I've never owned a car. We're all different. But sometimes you just have to understand that your desire to stay all stock comes at a price. Lag exists. That's why custom roms exist...to eliminate lag, among other brilliant things.

OK, so I'll check the custom ROMS ... Can anyone specify which ROM is the best for fluidity ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There will always be people taking personaly what you say about their toy ! This kind of people should just open their eyes, and stop being agressive.

No.

Most of the stuttering is caused by apps which are written by developers who don't really understand Android,

Seriously.

Pay attention to which apps aren't responsive. Look at memory use, wake locks, watch for unnecessary services and background threads.

Eliminate apps one-by-one until stuttering in menus and the desktop stops. Don't run live wallpapers.

Factory reset. System settings from prior Android revisions can cause problems.

I have fixed many of my friends' Android devices when they blamed the device or OS for lag.

Stock 4.04 is quite responsive and fluid. If yours isn't, it's probably the apps you've installed or settings conflicts.
    To each their own I guess but a couple of things in response to your issues.

First, the amount of memory (RAM) shouldn't be a factor. In fact, the more available memory means the OS has to swap more memory which is slower than the program already loaded. More available memory is a sign of an inefficient OS. If you are actually using an app killer you are just burning cycles unnecessarily.

Second, iOS is so smooth mostly on the home screen because it is a static image that is scrolled. Those icons are just part of an image hence the incredibly smooth scrolling. I have used the iPad and I've experienced several apps with lag in them. It all depends on how good the developer is.

Don't force 2D acceleration. My understanding is that setting will likely hinder most apps.

For the browser try Chrome Beta. It's not perfect but it does seem snappier than the stock Honeycomb browser.

If you are having app issues it is likely that app and not ICS. I have been running Team EOS 4G ICS ROM and it is very smooth all around.

I have a second Xoom that is still stock and once that gets the ICS update from VZW I'll better be able to judge what stock ICS is like on the Xoom.

Hope you can get your issues sorted out because I really like ICS on the Xoom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    My ROM is a stock ROM, but I had to flash it as my Xoom is french and in Europe we still didn't receive the ICS update.
    But I am now considering to flash a custom ROM, I'm actually checking the custom ROMs threads to see if one may be good for me but I don't want to waste too much time trying many ROMs to see which one is the more fluid and the less buggy so I may decide to keep my stock ROM and hope that Google will correct this soon ...

Been running the EOS rom now since whenever and it's great. I can recommend it,
    This is why iOS is miles ahead of android. Its so much more faster and CONSISTENT. I prey that one day the overall speed between various apps is improved. I read a few pages back about the person browsing these forums and the experience was slower. I can't agree more, but sadly its just the way android is. You notice it between different websites with longer pages or more images, its annoying. I agree that we are lucky to be able to tweak and install custom files this is the best thing about android... but having to do this because the apps are coded wrong is bull****. Could you imagine how **** it would be without that option.
    I have my Xoom set to 1600mhz minimum which can help with some websites and the os snappyness but I'm still not that impressed with ICS.

I totally agree. I own a 3 years old iPhone 3GS (600Mhz !) which is a lot more fluid than my Xoom running ICS. It's a big disapointment for me, I would think that with ICS which is now GPU accelerated for the 2D apps my Xoom would be at least as fluid as my 3GS, but it's not (a few apps are now running perfectly fluid with ICS, but most of them have only been improved a bit).
    All of this due to the fact that too many different hardwares exist for the Android platform, making things hard for Google to optimize the O.S., but also because Android apps developpers don't take care of optimization. Some apps (but only a few) are really perfectly fluid, some others are laggy as hell.

As a tablet I will not buy an iPad because of what we all already know here, but that's hard for me not being able to find a single android tablet which would be perfectly fluid, like the ipad is, whatever you do with it.
    I also tried the Transformer Prime thinking that maybe the Tegra 3 power would avoid lags and would make Android perfectly fluid, but I really didn't notice any 2D performances improvements compared to the Xoom (I guess Tegra 3 is only better for 3D games and 1080p videos reading).
    So I'll have to keep my Xoom for at least 2 years more and see if Google could finally make a perfectly fluid O.S. with the futur tablets hardwares on the market.