[TUTORIAL] How To Extract Files From a TAR.MD5 Stock ROM (SPH-D710)

Search This thread

rwilco12

😺 Recognised Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
I've received a TON of PM's and emails asking how to do this and I've decided to do a write-up for everyone. Now to start off, this does not automatically make you a Super Duper Developer, this does not show you how to make your own TAR ROMs, nor does it show you how to make your own Odin One-Clicks. What it does do is show you how to pull files from those stock leaked/official ROMs so that you can proceed to make yourself into a Super Duper Developer! ;)

In essence if the Developer knows what they are doing they could use this method to extract all the files from the build and could then add them to a ZIP and have a stock odexed ROM within minutes and do it all through Windows! :D Depending on time I may or may not do a tutorial on that as well... ;)

So let's begin!

We've all seen those pesky TAR.MD5 packages that we can flash through Odin. How often have you wanted to look inside them and see what is inside before flashing? There are several ways to do it and the most common answer requires Linux and Dsixda's Kitchen utility. This tutorial gives you the ability to do that through Windows and without having to extract the full ROM. These instructions are specific to the Samsung Galaxy S2 (all variants) but can be used on most Samsung Galaxy phones.

Each TAR.MD5 release contains multiple files. Each of these files corresponds to a specific partition on your device. These files are formatted to be mounted by your device but not by a computer. We will be converting them from a .img partition type to an ext4.img type partition so we can mount them and read them through Windows. For this tutorial we will be opening up the factoryfs.img (the system files partition).

Before you dive in there are a few things you'll need.
- A PC running Windows.
- A stock TAR.MD5 release. Several are available in the Stock ROMs Repo thread.
- DiskInternals Linux Reader (must be installed on the Windows PC). You can download DiskInternals Linux Reader here.
- SGS2toEXT4 Utility available here. *Be sure to extract the JAR file from the ZIP archive.
- 7-Zip available here.

For the rest of the tutorial please visit my site: www.rwilco12.com

Enjoy!

Last edited:

fryingpan0613

Jul 18, 2010
Central Florida
Google Pixel 6
Re: [TUTORIAL] How To Extract Files From a TAR.MD5 Stock ROM

Rdubb is the man!

sigpic2757720_7.gif

Reactions: elarci and rwilco12

TrayLunch

R.I.P.
Apr 29, 2012
Houston

That's amazing, and incredibly generous of you to share it with the community! Thanks a lot for it, brother!

Bugging up my phone, so you don't have to!
sigpic4619062_4.gif

Reactions: rwilco12

elwood

May 1, 2011
Menasha, Wisconsin

Wowzers. Excellent job on the tutorial, very detailed and easy to follow. Thanks rw

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Febby

May 19, 2010

Thanks RW! I did this a couple of weeks ago for the gnex. =)))

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Gazzuk

Mar 1, 2012

Rwilco I love you (no homo) lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Could this method be used to pull out an apk like mmm the android mp3 player? Its the only player that seems to play all my mp3s.

Unless someone knows were I can dload it :D

Last edited:

rwilco12

😺 Recognised Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Rwilco I love you (no homo) lol

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Could this method be used to pull out an apk like mmm the android mp3 player? Its the only player that seems to play all my mp3s.

Lol I love you too!! ;)

And yes. This method can be used to pull ANYTHING from the system folders. If you want to be daring and explore more you could check out cache.img and data.img using the same method.

Gazzuk

Mar 1, 2012

Oh man this is great! Thanks man and thank you for all you provide us.

Kr@zY_J

Dec 18, 2011
Tulsa

Thank you Rw! You are awesome sir!

Gazzuk

Mar 1, 2012

Since were on this subject is that android mp3 player avail online to download? If not in going to give this a try.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've received a TON of PM's and emails asking how to do this and I've decided to do a write-up for everyone. Now to start off, this does not automatically make you a Super Duper Developer, this does not show you how to make your own TAR ROMs, nor does it show you how to make your own Odin One-Clicks. What it does do is show you how to pull files from those stock leaked/official ROMs so that you can proceed to make yourself into a Super Duper Developer! ;)

In essence if the Developer knows what they are doing they could use this method to extract all the files from the build and could then add them to a ZIP and have a stock odexed ROM within minutes and do it all through Windows! :D Depending on time I may or may not do a tutorial on that as well... ;)

So let's begin!

We've all seen those pesky TAR.MD5 packages that we can flash through Odin. How often have you wanted to look inside them and see what is inside before flashing? There are several ways to do it and the most common answer requires Linux and Dsixda's Kitchen utility. This tutorial gives you the ability to do that through Windows and without having to extract the full ROM. These instructions are specific to the Samsung Galaxy S2 (all variants) but can be used on most Samsung Galaxy phones.

Each TAR.MD5 release contains multiple files. Each of these files corresponds to a specific partition on your device. These files are formatted to be mounted by your device but not by a computer. We will be converting them from a .img partition type to an ext4.img type partition so we can mount them and read them through Windows. For this tutorial we will be opening up the factoryfs.img (the system files partition).

Before you dive in there are a few things you'll need.
    - A PC running Windows.
    - A stock TAR.MD5 release. Several are available in the Stock ROMs Repo thread.
    - DiskInternals Linux Reader (must be installed on the Windows PC). You can download DiskInternals Linux Reader here.
    - SGS2toEXT4 Utility available here. *Be sure to extract the JAR file from the ZIP archive.
    - 7-Zip available here.

For the rest of the tutorial please visit my site: www.rwilco12.com

Enjoy!
    Would anyone be interested in a tutorial on how to make your own flashable ZIPs to go along with this?

Not to in depth but the basics of edify scripting and such. Just enough to get someone started.
    For those who were asking about how to make your own TAR builds I've posted a tutorial! :)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2154762

Enjoy!
    Great Howto

I am suggesting that Mods sticky this one.