[Q] 4.3 ota Root Question

Search This thread

mrnewspaper

Aug 4, 2011
sooo i was stock i took the OTA update to 4.3 mk6
i decided i didn't care about the knox counter so i rooted and custom recovery (this is the rom location http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2589891) and this is the recovery location http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2159652
now every thing is working (SU, Titanium Back up, and so on)
however when i try certain apps (game killer, game chi) it says i don't have root
i have searched everywhere but i am not seeing any posts about this
any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

mrnewspaper

Aug 4, 2011
You could flash superSU from recovery to system...
That often corrects the issue...

Did you download superSU from the market and update it ??

Try that first....and if no change....flash this....g

http://download.chainfire.eu/382/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip

Sent from my NOTE 2.750...
Courtesy of our amazing developers...

i uninstalled superSU then went to the market and downloaded and updated that didn't work it was still the same
no i have downloaded and installed from customer recovery and when i open superSU it says i need to manually re-root my phone so i guess i need to re flash my rom from original post?

mrnewspaper

Aug 4, 2011
Try installing the current version of SuperSU via Odin.. you shouldn't have to reinstall the rom...

Once SuperSU is installed, boot phone, check Play Store for updates for SuperSU and install if any. Then run SuperSU, update the binary if prompted, then when asked to disable Knox, answer yes. You should be good to go.

okay i found it and did it and now i am back where i started most things work but the 2 app's i use most still say root permission denied (granted permission in superSU)

Last edited:
the apps that wont work are game chi and game killer
the apps that are working looks like all of my apps that require root other then those 2

even root checker says i do have root

Game Killer - Comments on Play Store show that this is a known issue with 4.3 and SuperSU with this app.

GameCIH - (I assume this is what you meant) Comments on Play Store also show a known issue with 4.3. Some comments from dev about enabling USB debugging, but it appears to be a 4.3 issue.

Looks like you are out of luck for now unless you step back to 4.2 or below.

mrnewspaper

Aug 4, 2011
Game Killer - Comments on Play Store show that this is a known issue with 4.3 and SuperSU with this app.

GameCIH - (I assume this is what you meant) Comments on Play Store also show a known issue with 4.3. Some comments from dev about enabling USB debugging, but it appears to be a 4.3 issue.

Looks like you are out of luck for now unless you step back to 4.2 or below.

i didn't see those notes but thanks to everyone for all the help and i will look in to stepping back again (i bricked the first time)

pavanchirmade

Jul 22, 2012
Halifax
Hello people,
I have a Note 2 (SGH-i317m) running the MVLUCMK5 Official Android 4.3 rom. I flashed the cf-autoroot from chainfire's website using odin and download mode, updated super SU as soon as the device booted, disabled Knox and got the device rooted. Root was working fine. Titanium backup could restore the app backup and everything.

However, when I restarted the phone, the root was gone. Any idea what's going on? I will have to flash CF again and it will work. But the flash counter keeps counting every flash. Is there a permanent root method for 4.3?

PS: Sorry to hijack this thread. I figured there was a relevant discussion going on, why clutter the section with a new thread. Also, since my post count is low, I couldn't post in CF's thread.

Hello people,
I have a Note 2 (SGH-i317m) running the MVLUCMK5 Official Android 4.3 rom. I flashed the cf-autoroot from chainfire's website using odin and download mode, updated super SU as soon as the device booted, disabled Knox and got the device rooted. Root was working fine. Titanium backup could restore the app backup and everything.

However, when I restarted the phone, the root was gone. Any idea what's going on? I will have to flash CF again and it will work. But the flash counter keeps counting every flash. Is there a permanent root method for 4.3?

PS: Sorry to hijack this thread. I figured there was a relevant discussion going on, why clutter the section with a new thread. Also, since my post count is low, I couldn't post in CF's thread.

Sounds like you may be using an older version of cf-auto-root? Try this one via Odin:

main - http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

i317m - http://download.chainfire.eu/279/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-t0ltecan-t0ltevl-sghi317m.zip

pavanchirmade

Jul 22, 2012
Halifax
Are you running the stock kernel?

After you flash cf-auto-root and boot phone, what do the contents of this file look like?

/system/etc/install-recovery.sh

Does it reference SuperSU and run daemonsu or does it reference recovery-from-boot.p ?

Here's a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-11-14-18-45.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-11-14-18-45.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 20
That's the correct file...

A deeper dive would involve looking at the permissions and properties of su and daemonsu in /system/xbin as well as a few other SuperSU related files in /system and subdirectories.

If you are running a custom kernel it's possible that it is pushing an older version of SuperSU (or other superuser app).

Do you have only the SuperSU app installed (i.e. no SuperUser or other app in the app drawer)?

Reaching at this point as it's not typical for the current versions of SuperSU to lose root.

One thing you can try is root with current, boot phone, immediately run SuperSU, choose "Full Unroot", reboot boot phone, then shutdown and reflash cf-auto-root and see if it sticks.

As for flash counter, once you get root to stick, you can use Triangle Away to reset that to zero - works for everything but the knox warranty counter.

Top Liked Posts