[ROM][7.x] nAOSProm for Nexus 7 (2012)

Search This thread

frov

Dec 31, 2014
Tilburg
Google Nexus 10
Google Pixel C
Hmmm, I now see that I flashed the wrong / old Dirty Unicorns ROM by Daniel_HK: in this other thread and post he refers to having fixed the Video problems:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-7/development/rom-discussion-aosp-unofficial-t3467615
He says in the changelog: Find a way to fix the hwcomposer for video/audio playback, need to review later
And refers to having fixed it in this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68830149&postcount=27
So I guess (I do not have access to my N7 right now) I flashed his 20160917 ROM whereas I should try this one: aosp_grouper-ota-eng.20160923.zip
So I reckon that insight in howto fix video can be found there.

Again reply to myself: I now flashed the newer ROM by Daniel_HK (Sept23 version), as I pointed out above, and now video works :good:
BTW, flashing that ROM was a fight to get Gapps to work, but in the end that ran and I could test the video apps I pointed out before in this thread. All work: kodi / nos / horizon go.
So now looking forward to nAOSP to include this video fix ;)

harrymcqueen

Dec 7, 2008
Hi. I used that twrp Version:
twrp-3.0.2-0-tilapia.img 9.3M 2016-04-05 04:44:11 EDT
Installation of ROM stops and tells that i tried to install a grouper Version.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

E3004: this package is for grouper devices. This is a tilapia.

But i used tilapia b01.zip

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
Hi. I used that twrp Version:
twrp-3.0.2-0-tilapia.img 9.3M 2016-04-05 04:44:11 EDT
Installation of ROM stops and tells that i tried to install a grouper Version.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

E3004: this package is for grouper devices. This is a tilapia.

But i used tilapia b01.zip

It's impossible.
Download zip file again and check md5sum.

zerbey

Apr 15, 2013
Sanford, FL
So far so good, running on F2FS as well. Do I need to install ParrotMod on this or should it already be tuned enough as is?

frov

Dec 31, 2014
Tilburg
Google Nexus 10
Google Pixel C
So far so good, running on F2FS as well. Do I need to install ParrotMod on this or should it already be tuned enough as is?

I would say that adding parrotmod is not a bad idea. I asked the same question in the thread for nAOSP Android 6 and there the answer was that those optimizations were not included.
So back then (few weeks back) I just flashed parrotmod in TWRP over the installed nAOSP_Nexus7_Grouper (b07 I reckon) and that worked fine.
The ultimate answer needs to come from @millosr, of course.

Reactions: zerbey

zerbey

Apr 15, 2013
Sanford, FL
I would say that adding parrotmod is not a bad idea. I asked the same question in the thread for nAOSP Android 6 and there the answer was that those optimizations were not included.
So back then (few weeks back) I just flashed parrotmod in TWRP over the installed nAOSP_Nexus7_Grouper (b07 I reckon) and that worked fine.

Ontzettend bedankt! :) I put it on there and got the usual speed boost I get with my 6.0.1 images.

Last edited:
Reactions: frov

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
b02 released

Changes:
  • AOSP android-7.0.0_r11 - October security patch (*)
  • Video: fixed hw decoding (thanks @daniel_hk)
  • Selinux: switched to Enforcing
  • Stability: fixed reboots when playing media
  • Ui: fixed widget placing on home screen
  • Ui: fixed gaps in recent list
  • Apps: added PerformanceControl (thanks daniel_hk)

AOSP android-7.0.0-r11
Google release yesterday new code on its aosp repositories and latest tag on nougat-release branch was android-7.0.0-r11.
We have merged that tag with nAOSP forked projects and build using it. Today google removed tags r8-r11, so the latest tag on nougat release is android-7.0.0-r7. They also created new branch naosp-bugfix-release with tags r12-r14. Since I have already merge/build/test b02 with r11, I'm releasing it with that tag. I have compared r7 and r11 and there are no difference except in build (build number) and packages/apps/CellBroadcastReceiver (r11 contains fix for japanese emergency messages).

Video playing
Now video works in every application thanks to daniel_hk fix. Problem with previous version was Media Framework Hardening which introduces constraints that are not satisfied with N7 old codec implementations. Luckily there is a way to by pass those constraints.
Video playing works very smooth. There are no more reboots from internal Video Player and other media apps.

Selinux, Stability
New version uses selinux enforcing, and it's much more stable that b01. I didn't experienced any FCs or reboots.

Download:

Last edited:

noleng

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Changes:

Download:

Great work. My system is very stable, and alot faster than 6.0.

For now I am re flashing gapps along with the update, but must we still do this in order to obtain the currently installed apps, or can we just update the rom.

Also.. Is there a wat to access any sort of shortcut to the stock installed superuser app. Or do I only get to use the app ops.

frov

Dec 31, 2014
Tilburg
Google Nexus 10
Google Pixel C
For now I am re flashing gapps along with the update, but must we still do this in order to obtain the currently installed apps, or can we just update the rom. Also.. Is there a way to access any sort of shortcut to the stock installed superuser app. Or do I only get to use the app ops.

I use Titanium Backup to restore all my additional apps after clean flash.
The superuser setting is just another 'app permission': Settings --> Apps --> Yourapp --> Permissions.

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
Great work. My system is very stable, and alot faster than 6.0.

For now I am re flashing gapps along with the update, but must we still do this in order to obtain the currently installed apps, or can we just update the rom.

Also.. Is there a wat to access any sort of shortcut to the stock installed superuser app. Or do I only get to use the app ops.

These ROM builds are full OTA packages, so they wipe system partition and reinstall all system. Gapps on system partition are wiped so they need to be flashed together right after flashing the rom, before reboot. Since rom size is bigger for 7.0 and open gapps are also bigger, I recommend using Open Gapps pico variant.
It is not necessary to do clean flash for every rom update. It's recommended for major OS version upgrades (6.0 to 7.0), when coming from other ROMs, or when system becomes unstable (because of installed apps for example). I'm doing dirty flash for almost every update and never had any problems.

For the superuser - Settings > Apps > Setting icon (Configure Apps) > App permissions > Superuser opens list with the apps with superuser permissions
You can also do it with Settings > search icon > 'perm' > App permissions ...
For the individual app you can also open launcher drawer, long press on the app and then drop app on App Info.
Superuser permission is integrated in the system like any other app permission so for controlling it you have to use standard app permissions settings.

Reactions: frov

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade

I'm not using ParrotMod. I have tried it with nAOSP-6.0, there was some improvement, but I didn't like hassle of flashing supersu and it. I prefer clean rom with basic gapps (open gapps pico) and embedded su.
For me the rom is working sufficiently smooth so I don't have to add additional stuff.

frov

Dec 31, 2014
Tilburg
Google Nexus 10
Google Pixel C
I'm not using ParrotMod. I have tried it with nAOSP-6.0, there was some improvement, but I didn't like hassle of flashing supersu and it. I prefer clean rom with basic gapps (open gapps pico) and embedded su.
For me the rom is working sufficiently smooth so I don't have to add additional stuff.

Yes, clear. I would say that Y/N applying parrotmod is also dependent on how bad the flash chip is in your N7_2012: that mileage varies and for the really bad ones using parrotmod will have more (positive) impact.

noleng

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
These ROM builds are full OTA packages, so they wipe system partition and reinstall all system. Gapps on system partition are wiped so they need to be flashed together right after flashing the rom, before reboot. Since rom size is bigger for 7.0 and open gapps are also bigger, I recommend using Open Gapps pico variant.
It is not necessary to do clean flash for every rom update. It's recommended for major OS version upgrades (6.0 to 7.0), when coming from other ROMs, or when system becomes unstable (because of installed apps for example). I'm doing dirty flash for almost every update and never had any problems.

For the superuser - Settings > Apps > Setting icon (Configure Apps) > App permissions > Superuser opens list with the apps with superuser permissions
You can also do it with Settings > search icon > 'perm' > App permissions ...
For the individual app you can also open launcher drawer, long press on the app and then drop app on App Info.
Superuser permission is integrated in the system like any other app permission so for controlling it you have to use standard app permissions settings.

I liked having the option of loading the SU interface. I was playing around with installing superuser from the playstore and manually via the apk once or twice, as each time I would have issues after updating the binary via twrp or other methods. always would have the google loader continuous and never fully booting. Once though I did have the # logo in the nAOSProm options menu directly under the Settings Shortcut title. This allowed me to get into some sort of su app. I am not sure if this was due to me trying to install a superuser app from the playstore. But after restoring a backup of the same rom, and the shortcut is not there any longer. and I am scared to try to install another su over the stock one as it always gives me problems. Also I assume that I do not need to install busybox as it is already installed correct.

Having the su interface just seemed easy to use as a reference for logs, etc.. easier way to reference if I did or didnt give permission for root or not..

Last edited:

Oct 9, 2014
Well done, thanks for your efforts!
It works fine overall, had only small issues but nothing deal breaking so far. Music app failed to play MP3 files, didn't try other apps yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    nAOSP ROM 7.x for Nexus 7 (2012)

The purpose of this rom is to provide a rom not so far of the AOSP with some cool features (nAOSP means "near AOSP").

nAOSP ROM has integrated superuser, but SuperSU systemless is supported from b03.
    From nAOSProm-7.1.1 ParrotMod is not necessary any more.

Features
    • F2FS support
    • Substratum OMS support
    • Integrated superuser (can be overridden with SuperSU)
    • Backuptool support - /system/addon.d scripts are executed when dirty flashing so opengapps doesn't need to be reflashed every time when upgrading rom
    • Reboot menu
    • Additional Quick Settings tiles (ADB over WiFi, Caffeine, Immersive mode)
    • SystemUI tweaks - QS pull with one finger, double tap to sleep on status bar
    • Navbar Tuner
    • Pixel like theme and launcher, from nAOSProm-7.1.1

nAOSP 7.x Nougat Changelog

nAOSP 7.1.1 b05 - 2017/10/19
    • android-7.1.1_r57 (October security fixes)
    • webview: enabled custom webview providers (developer options)
    • tilapia: added messaging (sms) application
    Since AOSP 7.1.2 branches (nougat-mr2...-release) were abandoned we have returned to 7.1.1.
    This build must be clean flashed

nAOSP 7.1.2 b04 - 2017/08/24
    • android-7.1.2_r33 (August security fixes)
    • system ui: status bar clock customizations

nAOSP 7.1.2 b03 - 2017/07/15
    • android-7.1.2_r27 (July security fixes)
    • fixed setup wizard crashes

nAOSP 7.1.2 b02 - 2017/05/08
    • android-7.1.2_r10 (May security fixes)
    • kernel: performance optimizations (thanks to @AndDiSa)
    • Launcher3: fixed set wallpaper issue
    • ril: fixed radio disconnect issue after deep sleep (tilapia only)

nAOSP 7.1.2 b01 - 2017/04/13
    • android-7.1.2_r5 (April security fixes)
    • performance optimizations (thanks to @AndDiSa)
    • enabled Google Assistant

Previous Releases

nAOSP 7.1.1 b04 - 2017/03/15
    • android-7.1.1_r26 (March security fixes)
    • Launcher3: changed landscape layout - fixed app drawer issue

nAOSP 7.1.1 b03 - 2017/02/18
    • android-7.1.1_r22 (February security fixes)

nAOSP 7.1.1 b02 - 2017/01/08
    • android-7.1.1_r9 (January security fixes)
    • Quick Settings: Number of columns configurable
    • Status bar: Battery style / text customization
    • Navbar: Pixel style
    • Fixed crash when hiding navbar in some applications
    • Launcher3: Search bar not displayed anymore for those without search provider. ( @mickybart)
    • Eleven, Gallery, ...: Switch from CM to LineageOS repos

nAOSP 7.1.1 b01 - 2016/12/17
    • android-7.1.1_r4 (December security fixes)
    • Performance improvements (thanks to @AndDiSa)
    • Themes: Pixel blue by default (thanks to @mickybart)
    • Pixel like Launcher3
    • Fixed Viper4Android
    • Fixed Camera (Hangouts video calls)
    • Added double tap to wake (thanks to @daniel_hk)

nAOSP 7.1 b02 - 2016/11/25
    • Performance optimizations (thanks to @AndDiSa)
    • Switched to AndDiSa kernel
    • Removed PerformanceControl app
    • Fixed sim disconnect bug (tilapia version)
    nAOSP 7.1 b01 - 2016/11/18
    • android-7.1.0_r6 (November security fixes)
    • initial release - same level like 7.0 b03
    • Substratum: OMS theme support

nAOSP 7.0 b03 - 2016/11/08
    • AOSP android-7.0.0_r19 - November security patch
    • SuperSU: fixed sepolicy for supersu, added systemless support
    • added addon.d support - no need to flush gapps after rom update
    • New audio sounds from Google Nexus devices
    • f2fs: added f2fs check to fstab
    • Navigation bar tuner (see System UI Tuner)
    nAOSP 7.0 b02 - 2016/10/05
    • AOSP android-7.0.0_r11 - October security patch (see the post)
    • Video: fixed hw decoding (thanks @daniel_hk)
    • Selinux: switched to Enforcing
    • Stability: fixed reboots when playing media
    • Ui: fixed widget placing on home screen
    • Ui: fixed gaps in recent list
    • Apps: added PerformanceControl (thanks daniel_hk)
    nAOSP 7.0 b01 - 2016/09/23
    • android-7.0.0_r6 (September security fixes)
    • Selinux : PERMISSIVE (temporary)
    • F2FS support
    • Integrated Superuser with AppOps
    • Power Key: Include Reboot menu (Normal, Soft, Recovery and Bootloader)
    • Quick Setting: Can be pull down directly with one finger on the 1/3 right of the Status bar
    • Double Tap to Sleep on the status bar
    • ViPER4Android
    • Quick Settings Tiles: Adb over Wifi, Caffeine, Immersive Mode
    Download

Android File Host - nAOSP-7.1.1

Alternative Download Links

nAOSP 7.1.1 b05

Previous releases

nAOSP 7.1.2 b04

nAOSP 7.1.2 b03

nAOSP 7.1.2 b02

nAOSP 7.1.2 b01

Android File Host - nAOSProm-7.1.1

nAOSP 7.1.1 b04

nAOSP 7.1.1 b03

nAOSP 7.1.1 b02
    nAOSP 7.1.1 b01
    nAOSP 7.1 b02
    nAOSP 7.1 b01
    Flashing
    For flashing procedure look at the nAOSProm-6.0 thread.

From nAOSP 7.0 b03 addon.d/backuptool is added to rom installation, so when updating ROM with the new build gapps doesn't need to be reflashed (if they support addon.d).
    When upgrading from 7.0 to 7.1 you need to flash gapps if you use it.

Layers
    Themes are supported with Substratum OMS theme engine.
    This is not a CM Theme Engine so you can just use Substratum OMS themes.

Thanks
    Source
    Kernel
    nAOSP 7.1.2-b03 released

• android-7.1.2_r27 (July security fixes)
    • fixed setup wizard crashes

Setup wizard issue is fixed now. I have added the code to enable wifi before starting setup wizard to avoid enabling wifi from it.

I didn't succeed to enable Google Assistant.

For rom customization - deleting stock apps you don't like - I wrote a post how to automatically delete them using addon.d script. You can also manualy delete them from twrp file manager, twrp console or adb shell.

Download:
    nAOSP 7.1.2-b04 released

• android-7.1.2_r33 (August security fixes)
    • system ui: status bar clock customizations

Clock customizations (Settings > nAOSProm options): show hide clock, change clock position, display seconds/date.

Download:
    nAOSP 7.1.1-b02 released

• android-7.1.1_r9 (January security fixes)
    • Quick Settings: Number of columns configurable
    • Status bar: Battery style / text customization
    • Navbar: Pixel style
    • Fixed crash when hiding navbar in some applications
    • Launcher3: Search bar not displayed anymore for those without search provider. (@mickybart)
    • Eleven, Gallery, ...: Switch from CM to LineageOS repos

This version includes crash fix and brings some UI additions as I mentioned before. Quick Settings columns and battery styles can be configured in Settings / nAOSProm options.

I haven't succeeded to reproduce and fix bug with ez cast / chrome cast streaming.

Download:
    • Nexus 7 (2012) WIFI: Dropbox - nAOSProm-7.1.1-grouper-b02.zip (suspended)
      md5: 45b3126d2927ef623755076928cb66b8
    • Nexus 7 (2012) WIFI+3G: Dropbox - nAOSProm-7.1.1-tilapia-b02.zip (suspended)
      md5: 9a0bf937415fa5df1cc7dfe3fc987367

Starting with this build automatic OTA updates should work. Go to Settings / About / Updates and you can download and update nAOSP automatically.
    Since ROM has addon.d support GApps flashing is not necessary in Post update (if gapps support addon.d like opengapps).
    If you use SuperSU it can be added to Post Update, but it can be flashed manually later. You can also uninstall SuperSU and use built in Superuser :)

EDIT: Alternative download links:
    nAOSP 7.1.1-b01 released

• android-7.1.1_r4 (December security fixes)
    • Performance improvements (thanks to @AndDiSa)
    • Themes: Pixel blue by default (thanks to @mickybart)
    • Pixel like Launcher3
    • Fixed Viper4Android
    • Fixed Camera (Hangouts video calls)
    • Added double tap to wake (thanks to @daniel_hk)

For this version I have completely change device/vendor trees to the new ones based on AndDiSa ones, with added nAOSP features. So far I have test this rom it feels stable and fluid like AndDiSa Android 7.x AOSP ROM . Since ROM performance/stability is improved now it is no longer in BETA status.

This ROM has now Pixel like look because of new pixel blue theme and pixel like launcher. I will post screenshots in the OP.

Camera is working fine, except for recording videos. Video calls are working.

Double tap to wake can be turned on/off from Settings/Display.

Download:

EDIT: I have tested this dirty flashed over 7.1 and clean flashed with OpenGapps pico 7.1 arm and I didn't have any permission issues.
    If you have them please do clean flash (ROM + OpenGapps pico 7.1 arm) before reporting.

From this version ParrotMod is not necessary any more since it's features are embedded in the ROM (thanks to @AndDiSa). Since SuperUser is already embedded in the ROM SuperSU is not necessary either.