[Updated 12/08/2009]:Web Based CAB Creator for Common Registry Settings

Search This thread

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I, like many of you, spend way to much time setting phones up over and over again. Since a big part of this is registry edits, I have built a web site that allows you to check off the registry options you want, which it then uses to create a downloadable CAB file to install that will contain all of those registry tweaks. This makes things completely reversible by uninstalling the CAB file.

Notes:
  1. This is Beta. While I have used it, and it's a very basic process, it isn't commercial software by any means.
  2. If you would like to add a new feature, post in this thread.
  3. You may install more than one cab file created with this tool. Just use different names at the bottom of the form.

Without further delay, here's the site:

<edit> The tool has now moved to nowsci.com. If you have any issues, please let me know. </edit>

http://nowsci.com/registry-changer/

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
* hold for updates *

Update 1: HTML now renders mobile friendly, so you can use this straight from your device.
Update 2: Edit feature added.
Update 3: Can now manually specify string or integer.
Update 4 [11/17/2008]: Can now specify the app name for install, allowing the user to have more than one Registry Changer cab installed at any point in time.
Update 5 [03/27/2009]: Fixed some character flaws for input. Preparations for move to a new host.
Update 6 [04/22/2009]: Added a filter option.

Last edited:

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
The site now has the ability for the end user to add registry entries to the database.

TheBundo

Sep 6, 2007
Thank you very much. I believe the "Camera Enhancements" entry is mis-titled. Shouldn't it be Rotate Picture 90 degrees, not 180 degress?

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Doh! I will fix that.

Also, just added all the registry entries from the Diamond Tweaks post.

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
What's the registry entries for that? Happy to add them, or you can add them yourself now through the site.

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Good question. For the most part, I would guess nothing. If there is nothing on your system looking for the registry entry, then it won't effect anything. That being said, that doesn't mean WM doesn't look for registry entries that aren't there. For instance, the following tweak:

Enable Vision Duration/Disconnect Popup
HKLM\ControlPanel\Phone\Flags2=16

Flags2 doesn't exist by default on most any WM6 phone. Adding it in, enables the disconnect.

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Who added the "Mighty" tweaks? Is that a phone? Many of those seem like they should go in Misc. I might clean that up if those aren't specific to a phone.

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Hmm, not a bad idea. I wonder if there was a spot on the xda wiki I could use for it since I don't have my own. I may end up integrating a detailed description field for each item with a question mark next to it. Unfortunatly I won't be able to define them all since people have added one's I've never used.

OK I have a request. I don't' so much mind tweaking the settings when I flash. However what does drive me nuts and keeps me from flashing is knowing I will have to reconfigure all my email accounts. I just use the default mail program, but what a pain going through and adding my 7 yes Seven email accounts every time I flash my phone. Is there a way to make a cab that would auto input all my account settings? The reason for so many accounts, is I have personal accounts, business accounts, email list accounts, car club accounts, and forum subscription accounts.

It would be awesome to be able to go to a site, or run an app where I could plunk in all my account settings, then create a cab store it to my SD card and whenever I flash, just run the cab and POOF all my accounts are setup.

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Unfortunately, probably wouldn't be easy to make a cab. However, programs like Sprite Backup will do this for you. You can selectively restore your mail using SB, however I generally back up my phone once I get things the way I like it, then if anything goes sour, I hard reset, then restore.

dazza7111

Apr 28, 2008
Newcastle
any1 made an ultimate tweak.cab? maybe make your diamond seem as fast as a custom rom?????????????
then any hardreset.......:)

zeezee

Jun 13, 2007
I suggest a field to make a *.cab regarding to any registry path/setting the user wishes (if the user is more technical).
without having to actually add to the public entry list.
This will allow the ability to:
1. not have to wait for the admin to add the specific entry
2. allows the author of the new *.cab to distribute their new edit on the fly.
3. give the admin to log & analyze the entries in the custom field to and determine more of the common *custom* entries the ppl may want. Thus not having to depend on explicit user input and emails all the time.

Last edited:

polkadots

Oct 26, 2008
First - thanks for putting this together!

Quick question - I had it "enable" GPS coded photos...but I don't think it did? Shouldn't I have an option somewhere in my camera menu to activate this once I've installed the .cab? Additionally, I don't believe "enable landscape pictures" and "sport mode" worked - how do I know?

Many thanks!

polkadots

Oct 26, 2008
Oh, and I forgot to mention (not that it matters???) that I'm on an HTC Touch Pro with Sprint - stock ROM. I'm new to all this, so I apologize if this is basic stuff.