[Tool/Converter]ROM 2 GPe [Testers needed]

Search This thread

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Cell, WiFi, Bluetooth worked didn't think to try regular data. Made a backup of Carbon then restored stock GPe ROM just fine. Can restore Carbon and test or should be able to restore and flash anything else you need tested.

edit.....cell data works but it seems auto rotate doesn't, tried toggling it off then on and looking for more than one place to set it but didn't find any others.

autorotate seems to be problematic in Carbon_GPe as well, In normal Carbon the home screen wont, but apps will

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
autorotate seems to be problematic in Carbon_GPe as well, In normal Carbon the home screen wont, but apps will

Downloading AOKP to test then will be going out for the evening, have the next four days off from work though.

Tip....trying to reboot recovery in CWM after restoring backup without booting into system first gets you dead Andy lying on his back with exclamation mark coming out of his guts.

Update...AOKP has same issues (auto rotate & play store) only this time get toast saying play services needs to be updated then get playstore stopped when click to update.

Last edited:

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
Getting there :victory: did cell, wifi and data work in togari cm11?

The status 7 error is my script not the kernel, so it looks like monx will be harder to crack than custom then, I'll have to create a separate version for stock based ROMs I think.

We need the kernel that will boot the system/ROM that we are installing, not a GPe when you flash monx's ROM ie jackie's one or the ported DooMKernel one (not the GPe version of DooMKernel). But with the status 7 error this may not work.

If you still have monx on the GPe you could just flash jackie's or the DooMKernel http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2705130 and then see if it boots, the simlink errors might not be too important.

@blueether I had trouble downloading monx rom so tried romaur after pulling boot img out of bolivars doomkernel and flashing it with flashtool. No errors but had bootloop on doomkernel splash so tried booting to recovery and cwm was all blank at the top. Tried flashtool flashing dooms GPe kernel and ended with dead andy with exclamation mark. Dooms new restore method saved my butt. Got to go my girlfriend isn't to impressed with me right now.

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
@blueether I had trouble downloading monx rom so tried romaur after pulling boot img out of bolivars doomkernel and flashing it with flashtool. No errors but had bootloop on doomkernel splash so tried booting to recovery and cwm was all blank at the top. Tried flashtool flashing dooms GPe kernel and ended with dead andy with exclamation mark. Dooms new restore method saved my butt. Got to go my girlfriend isn't to impressed with me right now.

Yeah Stock may be more difficult than I thought. @DooMLoRD has mentioned that the /system partition is alot smaller on the GPe so it will tale a bit of shoehorning to get it to fit.

I've seen the dead Andy a few too many times in my playing

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
well the GPe is the first Sony device with:
  • a graphical bootloader
  • dedicated proper recovery partition

and yes the partition layout is indeed different... biggest change is that on the ZU the /system partition is 2.5 GB while on the GPe its only 1.1 GB... Sony Xperia ROMs are generally around 1.5 GB... thats the reason why flashing ZU FTF (even if system.sin & kernel.sin only) will not work!

I had to CUT a lot of stuff out of the Xperia ROM to make it "Fit" on the GPe /system partition..

P.S.: i have started uploading the ROM... hopefully in a few hours upload will be complete :)

Congrats

I wonder how close my tester was yesterday to getting mon's ROM booting, I think that they just had the wrong kernel (and a few status 7 error when flashing my zip)

Yeah Stock may be more difficult than I thought. @DooMLoRD has mentioned that the /system partition is alot smaller on the GPe so it will tale a bit of shoehorning to get it to fit.

I've seen the dead Andy a few too many times in my playing

I seen both of your posts and went ahead and tried anyways just for the sake of trying. Not saying it was fun but now I know how to recover a soft brick. If there isn't anything to test tomorrow I will see if I can set up flashtool and mini adb on my laptop. Then I'll be able to test during the week. Thanks again for your efforts.

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
@blueether I have my laptop all set up and ready, also got my old phone fixed for a backup device, so am all good for testing.

Last edited:

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
@blueether I know you have been busy switching OS on PC and getting Roms to build but was wondering if you were still interested in this project. Am pretty sure I could get logcats now if that would help.

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
@blueether I know you have been busy switching OS on PC and getting Roms to build but was wondering if you were still interested in this project. Am pretty sure I could get logcats now if that would help.

I'll have a look at it again over the weekend, have 3 days off so I <should> have some time. I'm just rebuilding all the kernels for togari at the moment (CM 11, dt2w, PimpedKernel) so there should be 2 new kernels for the _gpe as well in a few hours

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
I'll have a look at it again over the weekend, have 3 days off so I <should> have some time. I'm just rebuilding all the kernels for togari at the moment (CM 11, dt2w, PimpedKernel) so there should be 2 new kernels for the _gpe as well in a few hours

Heck if you got other stuff to work on we can get to this whenever you get around to it. Wasn't trying to rush you by any means was just curious as to whether you had plans to work on it, let me know when I can help test. Thanks again I appreciate your work for us GPe users.

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Heck if you got other stuff to work on we can get to this whenever you get around to it. Wasn't trying to rush you by any means was just curious as to whether you had plans to work on it, let me know when I can help test. Thanks again I appreciate your work for us GPe users.

Yeah I'd like to get it working well, it will give you gpe owners more choice.

Thanks for the donation the other day

Reactions: adfurgerson

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
@adfurgerson

v0.3 is up, I hope that will work on new ROMs that are using CM's device tree

I tried it with your 5-31 build of Carbon and got loops at the first splash screen. Wasn't able to go to recovery from there, it would go from splash with blue led to black screen with red led. Also couldn't get adb to connect.

edit... does the v0.3 zip overwrite the recovery? I downloaded latest cm11 nightly and flashtool flashed the boot img from it then booted into system and seen sony splash screen, entered recovery and flashed the nightly along with v0.3 then got your splash screen with bootloop when restarting.

Last edited:

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
I tried it with your 5-31 build of Carbon and got loops at the first splash screen. Wasn't able to go to recovery from there, it would go from splash with blue led to black screen with red led. Also couldn't get adb to connect.

edit... does the v0.3 zip overwrite the recovery? I downloaded latest cm11 nightly and flashtool flashed the boot img from it then booted into system and seen sony splash screen, entered recovery and flashed the nightly along with v0.3 then got your splash screen with bootloop when restarting.

Yes that one included a kernel/recovery. You could open the zip in something like 7zip and delete the boot.img and try that?

I thought that the issues in v0.2 might have been mismatched kernel and modules.

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
Yes that one included a kernel/recovery. You could open the zip in something like 7zip and delete the boot.img and try that?

I thought that the issues in v0.2 might have been mismatched kernel and modules.

I never tried v0.2, is the only difference from v0.1 the verification check? Either way I'll try v0.2 first then v0.3 with boot.img removed tomorrow.

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
@blueether v0.3 booted after boot.img removed. Same results as before, Google Play Services needs to update but crashes when trying to do so, auto-rotate doesn't work. I got logcats and pasted here http://pastebin.com/524zed8H if there is something else you need let me know.I skipped testing v0.2 as there is other stuff to test today, cm11 GPe nightly, and new DooMKerneL.

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
@blueether v0.3 booted after boot.img removed. Same results as before, Google Play Services needs to update but crashes when trying to do so, auto-rotate doesn't work. I got logcats and pasted here http://pastebin.com/524zed8H if there is something else you need let me know.I skipped testing v0.2 as there is other stuff to test today, cm11 GPe nightly, and new DooMKerneL.

Thanks for that, not really used to looking at logcats, bit it looks like a config file may be missing for the qcom/Sensors I'll look into it. Couldn't see why google play was crashing

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for that, not really used to looking at logcats, bit it looks like a config file may be missing for the qcom/Sensors I'll look into it. Couldn't see why google play was crashing

When first booting into ROM there is a message in status bar saying Hangouts needs the Google Play services to be updated, clicking on that takes you to Play Store to update Play services then when I try Play Store crashes and will crash everytime after that. But I have had same issues on every ROM including SlimKat GPe, also the Sony port and CM11 GPe nightly. I might try to sideload the Play services apk and see if that works.

I just remembered I was having trouble with internal storage before and didn't even think to check for that today.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a brave soul or two that has a GPe and would like to do some testing to see if we can have a tool that will convert any togari ROM into one that will boot and have working radio on a togari_gpe. PM me if you want to be a tester.

A huge thank you to @flipperg and @adfurgerson for testing this and helping to improve this tool and the instructions below.

Warning:
    If this does't work it may leave your GPe in a non booting state, only test if you are comfortable re-flashing boot.img and ROMs again

ROM 2 GPe:
    A tool for converting a ROM into GPe ROM

This tool will take an installed ROM and GPeize it so that it will boot with a working radio etc

Install:

1. Download and save Custom togari ROM to ZU_GPe
    2. Download and save rom2togari_gpe to ZU_GPe
    3. Getting a working kernel & recovery: <=== Read This Section Carefully
      • If you are running DooMKernel or if you get "This device is a honami" and you are flashing a custom ROM do this:
        1. extract boot.img from Custom togari ROM to desktop (or similar)
        2. flash boot.img to the ZU_GPe using flashtool or fastboot.exe while phone is in fastboot mode
    4. Boot into recovery
    5. Wipe data and caches
    6. Flash a custom togari ROM
    7. Flash rom2togari_gpe
    8. Reboot and pray

Download:
    Version 1 [10/05/2014]

Working conversions:
    Working on CM11 and Carbon with some bugs
    Should work with all AOSP/CM11 ROMs
    Might even work with Stock based ROMs (read monx and partial* FTF flashes)
    Now that I have thought about it I can't see this working on Stock based ROMs, and now we have DooMLoRD's Sony port there is little point in trying to get it to work on Sony firmware.

* Warning:
    Never flash the whole FTF
    or you will hard BRICK your GPu Ultra, only ever flash the kernel and system and never use Sony OTA/PCC updates
    Again:
    Code:
    [B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="red"]
    **  Never Flash a full FTF to a GPe Z-Ultra  **
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

XDA:DevDB Information
    ROM 2 GPe, Tool/Utility for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

Contributors
    blueether, flipperg, adfurgerson for testing and prbassplayer for the idea in the first place

Version Information

Created 2014-05-10
    Last Updated 2014-05-25

Ok - so CM11 - Success! I used the boot.img from CM11 to Flashtool HotBoot into Recovery, and everything went as planned.
    Monx - No Good, I was able to install the ROM, but when I ran the tool I got:
    Creating Symlinks...
    symlink: some symlinks failed
    E: Error in /data/media/0/Download/rom2togari_gpe.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation Aborted

You do point out that we can't use a CM11 boot.img with Monx (I read that after I tried), is that it?

Could you please point me to a place I can get a good boot.img with custom recovery that will let me boot Monx correctly please? The only jackies099 one I found is for the non-GPe version - is this the one I should try?

Doom's is the one that reports the wrong phone type (Honami) right? So I'm not sure if I can use that one.

But I'm almost there... :) I'm going to keep trying some iterations.

One more question (noob): What's FTF? (I gather it's a ROM that includes Radio and/or other Partitions but I'd like to know an easier way to determine this so I don't screw up)

I've done many Android Custom ROMS installations/Mods but this is my first Sony, sorry.

Thank you,

Flipper

OK, it sort of makes sense that monxROM doesn't include the kernel. You could use jackie099's kernel or the port of DooMKernel for the togari. Both of these kernels have recovery built in (as should all custom ROMs). A CM11 kernel or one from/for a custom ROM will not boot Stock Sony or monx's ROM, nor the other way around so we have to get the correct kernel for the type of ROM you are flashing.

Once you have a custom kernel installed you can boot into recovery by pressing the vol up or down key when the LED lights during boot (could be pink, purple some other colour depending on the kernel)

Changed the install instructions in the OP again, I hope that it is clearer
    Any one testing? We cant have development if no one tries I dont have my phone yet or I would man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

30 hours and no takers? I'll just upload the zip and someone can test at their leisure...
    30 hours and no takers? I'll just upload the zip and someone can test at their leisure...

Firsrt let me say thank you for your work. I have had my GPE for less than a week and am still getting a grasp on what is needed for unlocking,root, and recovery. I am also waiting for parts to arrive for my old LG Optimistic G, if I can get it working as a backup phone I will be willing to test. Hopefully you won't lose interest before then.

Edit...parts came for what I hoped would be my backup phone, but it didn't fix it.

Edit...tried to flash Carbon with TWRP from DooMLoRD's kernel and it failed with message "This package is for C6802 C6806....E:Error executing updater binary in zip"
    @blueether if you can upload a zip later I will try, or I could try to remove that line if it was explained to me.
    FAILURE

:crying:

rom2togari_gpe fails complaining this is for togari and my phone is a honami. (My phone is a togari_gpe, promise)

I'm backing up now, but just to make sure I understand:

I will:

1) Wipe/Format
    2) Install [ROM][LB&UB] C68XX ★ monxDIFIED ★ ZUltra™ (442.757) BEST AROMA [v06-02][24/04] from the Android Dev Thread
    3) Install rom2togari_gpe from your thread
    4) Reboot

Right?

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

So I figure the Honami - Togari issue is because I'm using ZU_GPe-AdvStkKernel-KOT49H.S2.2052-v01 to do the flashing... for some reason it has a boot.img signature for the Honami - go figure. But I'm not sure how to get around this.

If I flash the boot.img from any other ROM (I tried CM11), then how do I flash the Custom Rom and Tool without a Custom Recovery? Do I do all this via adb/fastboot from my Mac?

Just trying, thanks for all the help.

Flipper

:crying:

rom2togari_gpe fails complaining this is for togari and my phone is a honami. (My phone is a togari_gpe, promise)