Life without dalvik, living without xposed

Search This thread

kravguy

Mar 13, 2009
Hiram, GA
I recently switched to art when my rom, liquidsmooth, released 4.4.4. I just wanted to give it a try for a few days just to see how things ran. Well soon after, I hear the next version of Android will do away with dalvik so I decided to make the switch permanent. My only struggle so far has been replacing the features xposed and the 15 modules i was using. I would like to know if there are others out there having similar struggles or if anyone has given thought to soon not having xposed.

Here's some of the things I've either been able to replace or haven't found an alternative :

* Using app launcher in gravity box assigned to a new softkey for quick access to dialer, sms, etc.
** replaced with sidecontrol

* greenify.
** tried it without xposed features, ended up with uucleaner. Not sure which I prefer

* disable location consent
** stuck dealing with it

* ad blocking (used a couple of modules)
** using adfree now. Not as happy. Seems to break a lot of sites/app functions. Maybe i just haven't gotten it completely configured right.

* being able to keep the navbar shown in full screen mode
** I'm no longer using fs mode. Would like to though.

Luckily my rom includes many of the features from xposed modules. A lot of rom devs have removed these from there roms with the thought that people could install them if they wanted via xposed. I wonder if the same thought process still applies. Maybe xposed will be enhanced to work with art, but what if it can't?

Last edited:
Reactions: millicent

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
Crappalinks, it's awesome. Has anyone found an alternative? It disables the Tapatalk redirection in external links that seems to delay link handling as they get passed through Tapatalk's server first.

millicent

Apr 25, 2012
Montreal
can't live without xposed, specifically gravity box. also, couldn't find a replacement for disabling the pesky location consent. hopefully, the devs will bring art support to xposed sooner than later.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

raziel123

Apr 29, 2010
Kravguy Is ART Runtime Significantly Faster than Dalvik ?

or is it just a minor speed boost in launching apps?

Jonny

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 22, 2011
The developers of Xposed have already said that they will work on an ART compatible version once Android L is officially released.

Reactions: gelo01

kravguy

Mar 13, 2009
Hiram, GA
Kravguy Is ART Runtime Significantly Faster than Dalvik ?

or is it just a minor speed boost in launching apps?
For the most part, no. I've seen a bit of battery savings, but nothing significant. My main reason for switching was to prepare for the next version of Android. Flashing rom updates is a royal pain now cause it takes forever to optimize first boot. Hoping that will improve.

dopeypopey123

Sep 30, 2010
Exeter
I recently switched to art when my rom, liquidsmooth, released 4.4.4. I just wanted to give it a try for a few days just to see how things ran. Well soon after, I hear the next version of Android will do away with dalvik so I decided to make the switch permanent. My only struggle so far has been replacing the features xposed and the 15 modules i was using. I would like to know if there are others out there having similar struggles or if anyone has given thought to soon not having xposed.

Here's some of the things I've either been able to replace or haven't found an alternative :

* Using app launcher in gravity box assigned to a new softkey for quick access to dialer, sms, etc.

* greenify.
** tried it without xposed features, ended up with uucleaner. Not sure which I prefer

** stuck dealing with it

** using adfree now. Not as happy. Seems to break a lot of sites/app functions. Maybe i just haven't gotten it completely configured right.

Luckily my rom includes many of the features from xposed modules. A lot of rom devs have removed these from there roms with the thought that people could install them if they wanted via xposed. I wonder if the same thought process still applies. Maybe xposed will be enhanced to work with art, but what if it can't?

For the feature to disable location consent does app ops from the play store work for you ?
I use this to disable apps getting access to my location
Hope this helps :)

Reactions: kravguy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

* greenify.

** stuck dealing with it

The developers of Xposed have already said that they will work on an ART compatible version once Android L is officially released.

* greenify.

** stuck dealing with it

For the feature to disable location consent does app ops from the play store work for you ?
    I use this to disable apps getting access to my location
    Hope this helps :)