Flickering screen

Search This thread

znanev

Apr 13, 2012

It seems they have pre-canned answer which they are throwing at all their consumers having problems. Some guys on HTC's facebook page keep speculating HTC are well aware of all issues and are working on a fix. The response you are posting claims the contrary - so is there a way to pressure them to come with an official statement?

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
It seems they have pre-canned answer which they are throwing at all their consumers having problems. Some guys on HTC's facebook page keep speculating HTC are well aware of all issues and are working on a fix. The response you are posting claims the contrary - so is there a way to pressure them to come with an official statement?
That's what we are all trying to do mate. All everyone wants is an official statement! :(

znanev

Apr 13, 2012
That's what we are all trying to do mate. All everyone wants is an official statement! :(

I noticed HTC have finally become active on their main Facebook page (not the UK one) in the last hour or so:

https://www.facebook.com/HTC

HTC@Facebook said:
HTC Hey, Anthony. We're very happy that you're enjoying it so far. We are aware that some people are having issues and we are currently looking into it. We will let you know when we have more information. In the meantime, you can head over to our customer service team at www.htc.com/support and they can further assist you.

Not really helpful, but at least better than nothing...

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
At this rate the SGS3 if one is released will be calling my name if HTC don't fix this by the time that comes out as I love the HOX. Fingers crossed they fix this as soon as.

lenti_db

Jun 27, 2010
Ronneby
Garaget.org
i swapped my phone today with a new one, beacuse of the screen issue, i dont think this is software relative, beacuse my new phone does not do that, and also when i called our HTC company that we have they told us if it would be a software issue everyone would have the same problem , but this is most likely an hardware problem.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
I have had my phone since yesterday afternoon, and the only time i have seen any screen flickering, is when i turned it on before doing my first charge, the battery was at 20% and i could see flickering, but once i fully charged the phone i have not seen any more flickering, fingers crossed.

John.

joplayer

Aug 1, 2008
Valence
If I remember well my device Serial Number was HT23***, could people with faulty devices give the 5-6 first values of their serial number to see if it isn't a matter of device batch.
Those with a perfect phone can also tell theirs to make a statement :)

fluke73

Dec 7, 2007
Malmö
This is really wierd

I bought my first HTC One X last week and i realized it had some problems so i exchanged it to another one last friday. They let me try the new phone in the store so i could see if there was any glitches, i tried the web browser, youtube and looked for the gray flickering areas, i didn't find anything. I really appreciate Netonets good service here in Malmö,Sweden.

On saturday morning i noticed the glitches on my phone so i started to make some video clips of me watching a clip on youtube, and changing tabs in the web browser and also reading on gReader Pro.

I sent an e-mail to HTC (haven't heard anything from HTc), XDA-Developers, pocketnow and AndroidCentral with the link to the post and videoclips: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24839333&postcount=106

Now, i can't reproduce any of these errors/glitches/flickering as much as i try. I don't want to reset my phone to try to make the problem appear again.

My battery level is on full and i will leave it over night and not recharge it to see if the problems show up when the battery is low or not close to full. For a few days i've been running the nova launcher and turned off the Animation and USB Debugging in the developer options. So i noticed that there was no glitches anymore so i was thinking it was because of that. So i went back to the Sense launcher and turned on the animations. Still i can't see any glitches.

My serial number on the phone is starting with: HT23 and yes this is the "faulty" phone that i posted about earlier with the youtube clips.
As late as yesterday, i was thinking as many of you do - should i return it or wait. Now im really confused, it's difficult to be happy about a problem that has disappeared.

Last edited:

brent8577

Oct 1, 2011
i'm ordering mine next week, but now i'm scared. i may end up at my bank requesting a reversal on the charges and asking the company i bought it from for a prepaid label if they want it back.

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
i'm ordering mine next week, but now i'm scared. i may end up at my bank requesting a reversal on the charges and asking the company i bought it from for a prepaid label if they want it back.
I wouldn't be scared; you could get one of the ones that nobody is having problems with... we could just me the minority here who are airing our issues in public so others are aware and to seek advice. I am sure there must be a good % of people who own this phone without problems.

Plus the device its self really is amazing, yes there are niggling bugs and hardware/software problems but you do get this with a lot of phones... I guess you just have to be patient and willing to exchange your phone should you be unfortunately enough to get a device with issues.

Taking the screen flicker away from my phone then it would be perfect in every way as I have no other issues (that I am aware of), and if I had of had a statement from HTC stating this would 100% be fixed in a OTA update then I wouldn't even be changing it and would wait for that update to arrive. People are exchanging them because they are at a loss for what to do at the present moment in time.

If you want the device then go for it, and I wish you luck in getting one that is perfect and works just as it should as this device does have amazing potential.

brent8577

Oct 1, 2011
I guess you just have to be patient and willing to exchange your phone should you be unfortunately enough to get a device with issues.

the only problem with that is the "no warranty" bit and ordering from UK to east coast USA. i don't want the ATT version. it's about $666 (ha!) and would cost about $40 to send it back for an exchange, then more shipping for the new phone, but i doubt i would even get to exchange it. there's no store i can take it back to in person, so it would be a bank thing. we'll see. i'm not waiting for Samsung.

Spl4tt

"Our device are rigourously tested before leaving distributors"

yeah right

amazingly perfect answer

bull****.. sometimes i really think if HTC has more than one test device out

if i were HTC, they should ask 100 ppl from this forum to use their beta device for one or two months, and report back. that way they would see the problems before release, and not after

it looks like we are the ones that look deeper into the device, not their testers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Serious screen prolems

I bought a HTC Once X and experienced some flickering on grays, for example when clicking on the homebutton twice, where you can see the gray empty screens. There is also a problem when watching youtube on fullscreen - there is some screen glitchng but as soon as i play video with the player controlls the problem disappeared. So i thought it was hardware error, and i returned the phone and got a new one. The same problems appear again on the the second phone. I hope this is a software/driver issue. The screen flickering also appears when you change window in the browser - the animation between two browserwindows. I have uploaded, several examples on youtube, so click on all to see the big picture.

Software information for the phone:
    Android version: 4.0.3
    HTC Sense version: 4.0
    Software number:1.26.401.2
    HTC SDK API level: 4.11
    HTC Extension version: HTCExtension_403_1_GA_3

Kernel Version: 2.6.39.4-G6B459DC root@ABM032 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 19 14:53:27 CST 2012
    Basebandversion: 1.1204.90.13
    Buildnumber: 1.26.401.2 CL47163 release-keys
    Browser version: WebKit/534.30

Watch the following videos below:

http://youtu.be/3jZJfTAcq2g
    http://youtu.be/4vCZAu8vsV0
    http://youtu.be/M3GierGP6a4
    http://youtu.be/x5rOumuieYM
    http://youtu.be/r8yuKi8nzV0

You can also watch the screenshots here:
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_1.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_2.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_3.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_4.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_5.jpg

Has anyone experienced this as well? I had it on both my phones, and i don't feel it's any use of returning the second one.
    I contacted HTC about the screen flickering issues few days back and they replied that we know a few such cases so this isn't a big deal.
    Today I contacted them again and they said, "

Thanks for the feedback, mohsinraza. We're looking
    into this issue. In the meantime, please get in
    touch with our CS team at http://htc.com/
    support and they should be able to troubleshoot
    your case individually.

UPDATE: 1.28 firmware is PERFECT. I've found 10+ people with 1.26 with buggy devices. Haven't found a single one who had bugs with 1.28.
    Any confirmation of my opinion?
    I think we need some proof of this? A screenshot or something; as nobody believes 1.28 is out as yet.

1.28 is out but only to the Asian market.
    There's an identical thread running in the general section. I posted this there. I'm reposting it here in case it helps provide some insight on how similar problems were encountered and resolved on the Asus Prime.

OK guys, the more that's reported, especially the intermittent nature of the problems, the more I'm convinced the issue is Teg3 related.

I followed the Asus Prime's launch from the beginning and it had very similar issues that all turned out to be either code or drivers related to Teg3. It took Asus/Nvidia four updates to finally stabilize everything.

The One XL is out now and even though there aren't a lot in people's hand you'd think this would have popped up on at least one if it was common to the One X family. The One XL has a different SoC, kernel, and graphics drivers than the international version while I'm assuming the majority of the rest of the s/w is the same. So as long as it's unaffected you can draw the conclusion that the international version's issues are either Teg3 h/w or related s/w.

The good news is that the majority of issues were eventually resolved on the Prime. But just like Asus, HTC is dependent on Nvidia to identify, isolate, and release new code to correct the issues because their s/w and drivers are proprietary. Having two companies involved is certainly not going to speed up the process. Just like the One X, not every Prime had the issue(s). And when early updates were released devices that were fine suddenly had problems and devices that were broken were fixed. No one from Asus or Nvidia ever explained why devices with identical h/w and s/w behaved differently. My guess is that there are unforeseen variances between individual Teg3 chips and the s/w adjustments were made to enable the s/w to account for them. So while this isn't an answer or a fix hopefully it helps better frame the problem.

I snipped some posts from the Prime forum so you can see that a theme similar to what we're experiencing exists. The first couple are from an Asus manager that participates in the Prime forum.

~~~~~~~~~~
    3/22/2012 Update –

The next firmware update is in qualification testing now. We are also working on solving some flickering problems reported by a few users and hopefully that will be addressed in this next release.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    4/2/2012 Update -

In addition, I have gathered additional details from a few users who are seeing locks or weirdness after playing a Tegra 3 optimized game after a few hours. I will be in California next week to work with NVIDIA and Google on this problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    2/1/12 Update - We received new code from NVIDIA today and are in the process of testing it. If this code is acceptable and provides a solution to the lock/reboot problem after the ICS update, we will release it in beta form for additional testing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    2/7/12 Update - We received another new code update from NVIDIA for testing today. Hopefully we will be able to release a beta patch or OTA update shortly. I will have an update after testing is completed tomorrow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    THE INITIAL ANDROID 4.0 UPDATE (BUILD 9.4.2.11) CAUSES FREEZES/REBOOTS FOR SOME. BUILD 9.4.2.13 FIXED THIS, BUT INTRODUCED A NEW BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE FOR SOME OTHERS. A FIX IS EXPECTED VERY SOON.

it is now believed that bugs in nvidia's tegra3 video drivers were the cause of freezes and reboots that some experienced after making the initial ICS update (build 9.4.2.11).

asus shipped new drivers with build 9.4.2.13 on 2/8/12 that fixed these issues, but a new battery drain issue was introduced that affects some others. this battery drain has been referred to as the "sleep of death"

asus confirmed on 2/14/12 that a fix has been developed for the battery drain and should be released within a week
    ~~~~~~~~~
    I went 36 hours after the initial ICS update without a problem and then a sudden reboot. I then had no issues for another day of normal use. Then a reboot. No pattern at all and definitely not when playing games when the CPU/GPU was being stressed. So not a thermal issue. This reeks memory issue whether the storage or ram and could be bad code or bad memory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Wondering if any one else has had this issue. The left edge developed a series of blocks that would disappear when I touch he screen, and then reappear when I stopped touching the screen.. The issue persisted into app browser, but reappeared while playing a video in mx player.. It appeared again after I quit mx.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I took screenshots, via the app switcher button throughout, and I can see the corruption in the shots, and so I suspect its a software issue and not something in the display itself. Screenshots will follow once I compression them a bit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Today I was playing zen pinball and i pressed hardly for the right flipper and this screen flickering again. Starting with the bezel when I apply pressure to the right bottom part of the tab the screen flickers into white. I don't think it is a common issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I find I can replicate screen flickering just by tapping the recent items button after having a dozen apps/pages stored there. A reboot fixes it but it comes back later.
    I too have this problem. But its not constant. I guess its software related. After installing lcd test all colors looked fine n solid, which means the issue is software based as hardware never differentiate. Wait before jumping to conclusions, the best place i can home down to is the problem of nvidia settings specially refresh rate. The flickering is nothing but a faulty refresh rate value not hardware issue. Advice wait.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
    Fully agree with this statement ; it has to be something to the OTA can fix as just about every person I have spoke to with a OneX has noticed this at one time or another.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Hi all. I wanna know if this firmware number 1.26.xx is only for UK phones or is this firmware number globally?

Sent from my HTC Desire
    Global... The 1.26 is the same everywhere its the last two bits that change.