Samsung's Octa-Core Exynos 5 processor (vs) Nvidia Tegra 4

Search This thread

xRevilatioNx

Jul 15, 2012
Which processor is better and why? I'm thinking about getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab S in July. But I'm also hearing great things about the Asus Infinity Transformer TF701 with the Tegra 4. Better graphics? Faster? Appreciate all the input guys.

Sent from my Tablet using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Which processor is better and why? I'm thinking about getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab S in July. But I'm also hearing great things about the Asus Infinity Transformer TF701 with the Tegra 4. Better graphics? Faster? Appreciate all the input guys.

Since Tegra's dead I'd say go with the one that's got a future...

NVIDIA says the mainstream tablet and smartphone market is no longer their focus
May 22nd 2014 by Quentyn Kennemer

Once upon a time NVIDIA made plays to try and get into any smartphone or tablet they could. With stiff competition from Qualcomm and other chipset vendors, they’ve found that task to be very difficult. They credit their hard hurdles to MediaTek even more, because MediaTek’s value-positioned platform wins out for many mid-level or small OEMs.

So NVIDIA’s calling it quits… somewhat. In a recent interview, NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang talked about their struggles in the market so far and what they’re doing to adapt. For starters, he says they realize that competing for the “mainstream” smartphone and tablet market is no longer a desire for them.

http://phandroid.com/2014/05/22/nvidia-ceo-interview/

xRevilatioNx

Jul 15, 2012
Really? I heard their was a Tegra 5 ( The 192 CUDA-core Tegra K1) coming...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/5/5278206/nvidia-debuts-tegra-k1-192-core-processor

Nvidia's new processor is the latest in the Tegra family, succeeding last year's Tegra 4. This processor now puts them in the same camp as Intel. They claim it has more raw computing power than the Playstation 4.

The Tegra K1 A15 variant will max out at 2.3GHz, while the Denver version will max out at 2.5GHz. The former is expected to hit devices in the first half of this year, while the latter will hit in the second half.

the K1 is offered in two versions: the first is a 32-bit quad-core ARM Cortex A15 processor, similar to the Tegra 4 but more efficient.*According to an Nvidia whitepaper (PDF),*it can use half the power for the same CPU performance, or get 40 percent more performance for the same power. The second variant is a long-awaited custom 64-bit dual-core "Denver" ARM CPU, Huang spoke at great length to demonstrate the K1's graphical capabilities, showing it capably render Unreal Engine 4:

So is it really dead?

It will also power Google's Project Tango Tablet

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp...a-k1-powers-googles-project-tango-tablet-kit/

Last edited:

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
Tegra 4 has better graphics and probably better optimised games than the Mali on the Exynos. CPU wise, I think the CPU on the Exynos is slightly better.

What's the reasoning behind that? There are more Mali GPU devices out there so won't it be a bigger focus for app developers?

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Really? I heard their was a Tegra 5 ( The 192 CUDA-core Tegra K1) coming...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/5/5278206/nvidia-debuts-tegra-k1-192-core-processor

So is it really dead?

It will also power Google's Project Tango Tablet

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp...a-k1-powers-googles-project-tango-tablet-kit/

Yeah K1 is already out. It is in Xiaomi's new tablet.

xRevilatioNx

Jul 15, 2012
I've now just read that chip is going to "revolutionize gaming" and will power 4K easily.

The K1, along with the new Unreal Engine 4 will, Huang promised, bring "Next-Gen" "Photo-Real" gaming to tablets and mobile phones. "Unreal Engine is the most successful game engine of all time,"
According to Huang, theTegra K1 mobile CPU offers almost 3x the performance of Apple's A7 Chips.

http://mashable.com/2014/01/06/nvidia-tegra-k1/

Now I'm afraid to even pull the trigger on the Asus or Samsung offerings. Not until I see where this chip lands, in future devices, and how they spec out.

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
So is it really dead?

[Q] CNET - You delayed Tegra 4 for Tegra 4i. Did that turn out to be a mistake? Did you miss this whole design cycle?

[A] Nvidia's CEO: I would say that Tegra 4i didn't pan out. We learned a lot in the process. But there are many things in our company that didn't pan out. That's OK. If you want to be an innovative company, you have to fail. Look, we built a great chip. LG's shipping it in the rest of the world outside the United States. It's a fantastic processor. But from a business strategy, it wasn't a success. So I learned a lot from it. It's OK. I'm glad I did it, and now we're moving on.

[Q] CNET: Why did Tegra struggle in smartphones?

[A:] Nvidia's CEO: Our focus as a company is still performance-oriented. The mainstream phone market commoditized so fast that really the...differentiators were price. And you can see the pressure that MediaTek is putting on Qualcomm, and you can see the pressure that MediaTek is putting on Marvell and Broadcom and all of these companies. Because guess what? They're the lowest-cost provider. I think that for mainstream phones, there's one strategy that really works right now, which is price. That's not our differentiator. That's not what we do for a living.

Sounds dead to me; at least in mainstream tablets and smartphones. Who's going to use it anyway? Qualcomm, Samsung, and MediaTek have better scale and produce equal or better chips so who needs Nvidia if they aren't price competitive?

This really isn't a relevant conversation for the SGS5 forum anyway. The Tab S' are still using S-800 so it appears all of Samsung's tablets starting with the N10.1-14 are using the same h/w which means Exynos 5420 for the Tab S which doesn't have HMP enabled where the 5422 in the SGS5 does. The display area and sheer amount of pixels in Samsung's 2560x1600 tablets also make this an irrelevant comparison. There's like 10 people in the TF701 forum and it's been marked down everywhere to $299. Between Nvidia's and the TF701's position I'd say its day in the sun has passed. If it every had one.

xRevilatioNx

Jul 15, 2012
Barry

They aren't leaving the market. They just don't want to be mainstream. In order to do do they would have to be cost efficient as well. That's not what Nvidia is about.

You left this tidbit out..

So NVIDIA’s calling it quits… somewhat . In a recent interview, NVIDIA*CEO Jen-Hsun Huang talked about their struggles in the market so far and what they’re doing to adapt.

“Mainstream" could mean a lot of different things, but it sounds like he’s talking about every other chipset vendor’s need to hit every price point there is. He doesn’t want the Tegra brand to conform to something they don’t want it to be — their belief is that Tegra is a powerful line, and they don’t want to sacrifice that standard of power for the sake of creating more cost-efficient chipsets .

Lastly, as another poster said, your seeing their latest chip by Nvidia rolling out in tablets. So as I said before, I may wait it out. See what other manufacturers this chipset pops up in, and how the rest of the tablet specs out. 4K capability is also a plus, along with be the best gaming tablet on the market, with that chipset.

Barry. Thank you for your opinion. If you were a gamer like me. Who also enjoys multimedia consumption, at the highest quality. What would you do?

Edit: Barry, disregard my quote. I see you have it up there and now realize your rationalization. So you don't expect it showing up (in any prominent fashion) , in the tablet market.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Since Tegra's dead I'd say go with the one that's got a future...

NVIDIA says the mainstream tablet and smartphone market is no longer their focus
    May 22nd 2014 by Quentyn Kennemer

Once upon a time NVIDIA made plays to try and get into any smartphone or tablet they could. With stiff competition from Qualcomm and other chipset vendors, they’ve found that task to be very difficult. They credit their hard hurdles to MediaTek even more, because MediaTek’s value-positioned platform wins out for many mid-level or small OEMs.

So NVIDIA’s calling it quits… somewhat. In a recent interview, NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang talked about their struggles in the market so far and what they’re doing to adapt. For starters, he says they realize that competing for the “mainstream” smartphone and tablet market is no longer a desire for them.

http://phandroid.com/2014/05/22/nvidia-ceo-interview/