How about a ROM DUMP?

Search This thread

Da9L

Jan 31, 2007
Hey there!

I was wondering if anyone that allready has this phone has managed to dump the rom on the phone? Iam asking on behalf of the people at the Diamond forum.. We would like to have our hands on the Android OS.. :D

~D

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
I think the folks at the diamond forum are playing a joke on you, I don't think anyone at this site has a G1 or a Dream yet. a bunch of us will though, come OCT 22nd.

Da9L

Jan 31, 2007
I think the folks at the diamond forum are playing a joke on you, I don't think anyone at this site has a G1 or a Dream yet. a bunch of us will though, come OCT 22nd.

I know that.. I just made the thread so that WHEN the device will come out the thread is already made.. :)

Shammyh

Aug 18, 2007
Boston, MA
while you're at it, could anyone maybe break into a store or possibly google headquarters (whatever is more convenient), get their hands on a g1, dump the rom, and i dunno, make it work perfectly with the kaiser?

say by monday morning?

thanks a bunch.

walscobry

Jun 16, 2006
ASAP

I will asap since I will need to neuter all the google phone home and that *G.D.M.F'n.* mandatory google login out of it before I use it.

raymondf13

Mar 23, 2008
Guys, I am a T-Mobile employee and I went to the event in New York. Its not surprising for somebody to have the phone right now, but luckily somebody who reads the forums haves one!!

I used to follow the Kaisers ROM development until I sold it. Now I have the G1
I will gladly dump the rom and help this community if somebody told me how to do so.

Reply to this message and please send me a email to raymonf13@gmail.com with instructions on how to do it and I will do it tonight EST after work.

Thanks!

dagentooboy

Feb 16, 2008
Kansas
Guys, I am a T-Mobile employee and I went to the event in New York. Its not surprising for somebody to have the phone right now, but luckily somebody who reads the forums haves one!!

I used to follow the Kaisers ROM development until I sold it. Now I have the G1
I will gladly dump the rom and help this community if somebody told me how to do so.

Reply to this message and please send me a email to raymonf13@gmail.com with instructions on how to do it and I will do it tonight EST after work.

Thanks!

I think if you ues the ADB tool in the android SDK it should be
Code:
adb shell mount
adb shell dd if=/dev/???? of=/sdcard/fs.bin

Whatever mount lists is what you would put in for ???? in the dd if

blackb1ade

Oct 4, 2008
I get the impression that a less 'technical' response would be your best shot here if you're serious that you want a copy of the Android o/s dump

As in (if this were me....a complete 'non-tech' type) a response involving *zero assumed tech knowledge*......eg 'Whats' an SKD???'...or.....'cmd prompt??, where?/how?'

So....

1. Plug phone into PC and start activesynch[or whatever]
2. File explorer and search for file *.*....

Just for example.....

Just trying to make a suggestion that's all - speaking from the point of being a complete tech fkwit myself....and also being ridiculously eager to have Android delivered to all the tech genii here so I can hopefully get it on my Diamond (and soon to have HD as well!) :)

beartard

Jun 20, 2008
Winter Haven, Florida, USA
The SDK is the developer's kit that you can download from Google. It contains a number of tools for use in developing applications for the platform, among them an emulator (for testing apps as if you're on a real android phone) and the ADB tool for accessing the hardware over a USB connection.

The ADB tool is run on the command line (no graphical interface). That's usually a bash prompt found in any console/konsole/terminal in Linux or by running cmd.exe in Windows. It allows the user to execute standard linux shell commands on the phone's filesystem.

Code:
C:/>adb shell ls

For example, the above command runs adb, tells it to issue the "ls" shell command, which gives a directory file listing (similar to the "dir" command in DOS.

Anything beyond that is above my head as of yet, since I don't have any Android hardware to use the tools on.

~David

Nov 27, 2007
Toronto
I can see we're never going to get a ROM dump, not at this rate...

I have no clue how to do it either, nor do I have a G1, but I'm reading your instructions anyways and it still doesn't make sense. :confused:

Why can't anyone just post exact step by step instructions? Preferably not using abbriviations or acronyms for 90% of the words.

Also he asked that the instructions be emailed to him.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I felt a necro of this thread was appropriate for the 5th anniversary of the G1 (Dream). Just think of what you get for $399 these days...

HTC G1 vs LG Nexus 5

HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY G1 !

Oddly enough the feature missing from a "Google phone" after all these years is expandable storage. :rolleyes:

Please read this entire thread, it is pretty entertaining to see the beginnings of ROM dumps and such.
    isn't the 5th cache?

There are 6.
    mtd0 - misc (the bootloader)
    mtd1 - recovery
    mtd2 - boot
    mtd3 - system
    mtd4 - cache
    mtd5 - userdata

There's actually a radio image too, but I don't know anything about it, other than it's handled differently than the 6 partition above.

The zip file for the RC29 update has an image file for recovery and boot, plus the entire contents of the system folder. The cache and userdata partitions aren't "critical", in the sense that you can wipe them and the phone will still boot up and function. (I think :))