[Q] How does one capture OTA update.zip?

Search This thread

Saturn007

Jan 3, 2012
Cheers for the link OldGaf and for the upload + effort t_r_j

I am on build 7.014.15_com_gen1 and currently downloading this from here won't be able to install until late today. (heading to work now arghhhh)

just curious about a few things.

1. would i lose my data (apps/games) if i install this?
2. would the official ota done from tablet delete or retain my apps & games?
3. i am not sure why PA_CUS1 is in the build name now and whether I will get something similar if i do it over ota? I am thinking must be your region code? if so where are you located t_r_j if you don't mind sharing?

OldGaf

Feb 6, 2008
Cheers for the link OldGaf and for the upload + effort t_r_j

I am on build 7.014.15_com_gen1 and currently downloading this from here won't be able to install until late today. (heading to work now arghhhh)

just curious about a few things.

1. would i lose my data (apps/games) if i install this?
2. would the official ota done from tablet delete or retain my apps & games?
3. i am not sure why PA_CUS1 is in the build name now and whether I will get something similar if i do it over ota? I am thinking must be your region code? if so where are you located t_r_j if you don't mind sharing?

I did not loose anything with any of the leaks or this official one.
From what i have read the extension means nothing.
I was gen2 on 3.2, gen1 on all the leaks and now cus1.

t_r_j

Apr 12, 2012
I am in the US eastcost. This is my info from the Tablet I captured the image from.

Before: 3.2.1 Acer_A500_7.014.02_COM_GEN2
After: 4.0.3 Acer_AV041_A500_1.033.00_PA_CUS1

youngwolves

Mar 13, 2012
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered but I can not find the answer if it has.
How does one capture the OTA update.zip?
Here is how I did:
1. Download and install Wireshark
2. Download and install Connectify Lite (so you can turn your PC with Wifi to a Wifi hotspot)
3. Use your PC to connect to the internet via LAN cable
4. Run Connectify, share the internet connection
5. Run Wireshark and start capturing packet from the LAN interface (make sure there are no software connecting to the internet)
6. Connect your Acer A500 to your Wifi hotspot on PC
7. On Acer A500: open Settings -> About -> System -> Check for update -> Click Download and Install
8. In the Wireshark window you will see many packets, you can stop capturing now.
9. Look in the upper part of Wireshark -> search for something like: GET /Acer_A500_4.010.40_7.006.03_COM_GEN1_1316137926088 _14fd4822.zip HTTP 1.1 ....
10. This is the file you want to download

spyd77

Apr 30, 2007
Sabadell, Barcelona
Reactions: zayaabby

spyd77

Apr 30, 2007
Sabadell, Barcelona
I just installed. My A500 was a GEN2 one, now it's a CUS1.

Almost everything I tried works as expected. Notes:
  • Tablet seems to boot faster than with 3.2.1
  • Autorotate and rotate block switch works for me (this is something everyone is complaning about)
  • Google maps didn't work in the first boot (app started, but only showed a black background, and incomplete menu) After a reboot, it worked fine.
  • Flash plugin and Twitter app upgraded (yesterday there wasn't any upgrades, but it can be just coincidence)
  • Videos in general (media player, YouTube app, IMDB app) start very choppy, after several seconds stabilizes and then they play smooth.
  • OMG I can install Chrome at last!
Now I'll have to tidy the mess of icons on my home screen. I was so sure to need a hard reset I didn't care.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 2307075
    First you download Patience.apk then you must copy and paste it to /mnt/brain and set permissions to drwxrwxrwx and you'll get ICS when it's ready.

Ok, that was lame, but seriously... patience is a virtue. When it comes right down to it, it looks like there's several early bug reports. It would probably be best to let Acer and/or XDA devs fix these issues. It'll end up being a happier experience for you in the end. If you really can't wait, there are a number of ICS ROM's already in the development section basedon Acer leaks or AOSP/CM9.

Seriously? He may have been asking for information on how to make an update.zip from the update he received? Do we have to always be so quick to judge, we are all just trying to learn here......
    No I didn't capture the URL.
    PM me with where you would like me to deposit the file and I will upload it.

I can also host if you are willing to share :)

Sent info via PM if interested.
    Here ya go... worked fine for me but no guarantees.... as usual, use at your own risk.

update.zip

Lets see how long the bandwidth lasts!

Big thanks to t_r_j :)

Sorry for being late, but I mirrored the file anyway. My server has no bandwidth cap.

http://www.brainrage.com/update.zip

I'll take the file down in a week or two (this file makes my site backups too fat).