Simple guide to [VM firmware recovery thread] v2

Search This thread

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
since the other thread got shut down before i got a response, i will repost now.

I flashed the original fix that was posted a few days ago and it worked great until today. I got my first radio interface error since the pri downgrade. Does this mean if i want to fix my issues completely i should go through these new downgrade instructions? I don't really care about a banner (or even roaming at the moment), since i am assuming an official sprint firmware update will come very soon. The only thing that i need right now to work is my texting. Any suggestions on doing the bare minimum to hold me over till the official firmware is released?

Reactions: Riff76

jlechner

Jan 23, 2008
Kansas City
since the other thread got shut down before i got a response, i will repost now.

I flashed the original fix that was posted a few days ago and it worked great until today. I got my first radio interface error since the pri downgrade. Does this mean if i want to fix my issues completely i should go through these new downgrade instructions? I don't really care about a banner (or even roaming at the moment), since i am assuming an official sprint firmware update will come very soon. The only thing that i need right now to work is my texting. Any suggestions on doing the bare minimum to hold me over till the official firmware is released?

So you have no data at all? I'd try a ##data# reset first.

dh350nwo

Never assume. Just because VM has a different firmware, that doesn't mean that Sprint 3d's will too. We do not fully know what the differences are between the 2 devices.

Thus the reason for this and other fix threads. I would suggest trying this fix, and see if it helps, and hope that there is a firmware fix in the future.

Reactions: Smac7

Mikee4fun

Jun 2, 2004
California
www.mikee4fun.com
I will tell you how I restored my data. I first downloaded the following stock rom.

Stock 2.08.651.2 With HTC/Sprint Spyware Removed
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1285975

After flashing to the stock rooted rom above I then went into my dialer and typed in ##my MSL number# (Example: ##000000#) To get your MSL number simply download MSL reader from the market. I then clicked on edit and then edited my MDN with all zeros and MSID with all zeros. I pressed the menu button and then pressed reset. After the phone rebooted the phone activation screen came up when I unlocked the phone and it was able to automatically activate it and I got 3G data.

Last edited:

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
So you have no data at all? I'd try a ##data# reset first.

no, i have data ussually. I have found though every once in a while my sms messages will not send (with a radio interface error). When this happens, my phone will show a signal, but calls, sms, and data will not work until i do a profile or a prl update. then my phone will work normally again until it decides it wants to crap out yet again.

Reactions: basicseamstress

jlechner

Jan 23, 2008
Kansas City
no, i have data ussually. I have found though every once in a while my sms messages will not send (with a radio interface error). When this happens, my phone will show a signal, but calls, sms, and data will not work until i do a profile or a prl update. then my phone will work normally again until it decides it wants to crap out yet again.

This is the issue some are having. I would say it's because of the VM firmware we flashed. Did you try the PRI version downgrade that takes you back to 003 even though it shows 005? or does yours still say 004?

Mikee4fun

Jun 2, 2004
California
www.mikee4fun.com

Hockey, I have not seen this issue yet on my rom, PM me if you want to try mine, and let me know if you see any difference. I wonder if some of the SMS issues have to do with the ICS rom itself. BTW do not post my ROM anywhere as I do not release my stuff public, just want to help out a fellow hardcore flasher.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Smac7

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
This is the issue some are having. I would say it's because of the VM firmware we flashed. Did you try the PRI version downgrade that takes you back to 003 even though it shows 005? or does yours still say 004?

i flashed chads first firmware downgrade. My phone now shows that my PRI is 1.53_145. This worked for like 3 days, but here i am again with the same issue

jlechner

Jan 23, 2008
Kansas City
Freeza or Unknownforce, I have a guy getting a replacement phone tomorrow. He wants to help. I figured we could have him pull the partitions, please advise.

Reactions: Unknownforce

karate134

Jan 29, 2009
Saint Louis, Missouri
This thread can't be deleted. This has good info we need up.
I know it says Chad in it, but should we just take the name out?
Well, if we did, then we won't give credit where it's due.

Anyways,
Is there any general thought on the rough percentage of people this works 100% for?

Cuppeerr

Mar 15, 2010
Grapevine, Texas
Thank god there's another one of these!

Ok so I got back from sprint again and the were totally in awe and had no idea whatsoever was wrong with my phone;) They ordered me a new one and it'll be here on like tuesday or wednesday and i'll see if I can get it not activated already.

Btw the sprint people are totally dumb.... They were talking to a couple and saying yeah, the more storage a phone has the faster it'll be! He said that 32gb phones out performed 16gb phones.... I was like wtf man... Also he was trying to sell them the galaxy s 2's and was telling them that they're new phones. Wtf sprint salesman, wtf...

Reactions: Riff76

Unknownforce

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2008
Freeza or Unknownforce, I have a guy getting a replacement phone tomorrow. He wants to help. I figured we could have him pull the partitions, please advise.

Thanks, but I think we have everything we need at this point. I'm writing code right now for the patching part of the process. Not that I have everything that I need just yet, but at least getting that part out of the way for when I do have the correct information.

I've located everything that I have to change in my own partition to fix it (All the differences) next I'm going to compare these offsets with those of the partitions that freeza gives me and see if they line up the same... there's going to be some major coding needed for this, because it did manipulate some of the "flow" I think in the way it lists out certain information in the file, like rom name, and phone number and stuff...

I'm not the fastest coder, but I have basically all I need at this point for my own device... I just want to verify that it's similar code on others' devices as well before I get too far ahead of myself here and have to backtrack. I'm actually going to re-code the downgrade tool to make it part of that, probably rename it to a "multitool" of some kind and simply put it into the already stickied thread, and have closeone update his cd with it so that people can do this with ease.

The best part of this all is that the bricking process isn't going to be a stupid timing thing like it is when downgrading... a single command can brick an already S-OFF phone the way we need it. ;) So no confusing timing issues with this one! Just a nice easy set of instructions. Phew.

Short and sweet basic steps right now:

1.) Nand Backup
2.) Brick
3.) Run "multitool" Plug unplug, yadda yadda.
4.) Boot phone back up to 1.40 S-ON
5.) Run 1.13 RUU
6.) Revolutionary S-OFF
7.) Flash 2.17 Firmware
8.) Flash recovery
9.) Restore Backup
10.) Drink Beer

More details to follow.

jlechner

Jan 23, 2008
Kansas City
Thanks, but I think we have everything we need at this point. I'm writing code right now for the patching part of the process. Not that I have everything that I need just yet, but at least getting that part out of the way for when I do have the correct information.

I've located everything that I have to change in my own partition to fix it (All the differences) next I'm going to compare these offsets with those of the partitions that freeza gives me and see if they line up the same... there's going to be some major coding needed for this, because it did manipulate some of the "flow" I think in the way it lists out certain information in the file, like rom name, and phone number and stuff...

I'm not the fastest coder, but I have basically all I need at this point for my own device... I just want to verify that it's similar code on others' devices as well before I get too far ahead of myself here and have to backtrack. I'm actually going to re-code the downgrade tool to make it part of that, probably rename it to a "multitool" of some kind and simply put it into the already stickied thread, and have closeone update his cd with it so that people can do this with ease.

The best part of this all is that the bricking process isn't going to be a stupid timing thing like it is when downgrading... a single command can brick an already S-OFF phone the way we need it. ;) So no confusing timing issues with this one! Just a nice easy set of instructions. Phew.

Short and sweet basic steps right now:

1.) Nand Backup
2.) Brick
3.) Run "multitool" Plug unplug, yadda yadda.
4.) Boot phone back up to 1.40 S-ON
5.) Run 1.13 RUU
6.) Revolutionary S-OFF
7.) Flash 2.17 Firmware
8.) Flash recovery
9.) Restore Backup
10.) Drink Beer

More details to follow.

Cool thanks!

Sent from my Sprint/Virgin Mobile hybrid.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, who's ready for good news? :)

One phone that was getting no signal... has been brought back to life and re-activated... All sprint banners, and I just spoke to him on that phone ;)

So, we have a fix, but I'm going to spend some time getting this down to a little less complicated of a process hopefully.

I've got a few more testers making sure that certain things go according to plan. Once I get a few successful tests in a row, I'll consider it stable and release to public.
    Close guys. I'm lucky to have two phones right now to try different things on and have been pretty much out of service for the past two days trying to get this sorted out. Unknownforce has been putting in overtime trying to fix this and i've been trying out his creations :D
    The thread is created, but just not ready yet. I have just sent out another wave of "test" PM's to have a few more people test this... Hoping for positive results here. Fingers are crossed.

Not trying to keep everyone waiting, but I don't want to be the cause of Sprint getting an influx of "dead" devices.

I'm trying to get this done as quickly as possible, I need a break from this :eek:
    As a mini update, I'm taking a few steps back and starting over a little bit here. The patch still isn't producing the results I'm looking for. As such, I have a new phone coming shortly, and someone else has a new phone that they are willing to test with me as well, so we're both going to pull complete emmc partition dumps and I'm going to study them to the T and find all the changed parts...

This will take some time, but it will be the correct way to do it. with the mixed results I've gotten so far, I'm thinking that it's possible that something other than the radio_config has changed here... and if that's the case, I need to find where that is, so that we can make sure we're not missing anything.

So, while this will set us back a little bit, it will also help find anything that I could be missing, and ultimately get a proper patch and also open up the door to some interesting abilities for the new tool. (refurb status reset, RELOCKED -> LOCKED, lifetime stats reset, and possibly more)

Basically the more I study it the better it's going to be.
    Ran into a few issues when freeza tried it, delayed a little bit... will update tomorrow. Be patient guys.