Static Navigation on Kaiser: How to switch off!

Search This thread

horst-vario

Jul 18, 2006
Hi,
after searching some time, I found this post here very helpful to switch off static navigation for the internal Qualcomm GPS chip:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=1747266#post1747266

Open your favourite registry editor, and search for
HKLM\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS\GPSMode

Mine was set to "2", and I got the bad behaviour when slowly walking or geocaching.
Switching it to "1" led the GPSr to send each position without modifications or smoothing directly to the internal com port: Perfect!
Now my Kaiser can really replace the old Wizard with external SirfIII-GPS!

Hope someone searching for i.e. Geocaching, Walking and Jumping Locations happily find this thread.
Cheers, Horst

tdusen

Sep 14, 2006
It doesn't work for me. I set it to 1 and nothing could connect to the gps device. resetting it back to 2 corrected this problem.

hans_olo

Nov 5, 2007
Ruesselsheim
Hi,
just tried the registry modification and it seems to work! I had a short walk and tried TT6 and GPSDash2. I haven't tried GPSDash while walking before this modification, but it really works fine even at slow walking. TT also updates the current location very good, but has some trouble in viewing the right walking direction. I will have a further look at TT tomorrow while driving, maybe if there are any differences in the behaviour or something. Feedback will follow...

HansOlo

EDIT: FYI, I'm using an unbranded Kaiser with german stock rom 1.56.407.3, radio 1.27.12.11

Last edited:

horst-vario

Jul 18, 2006
Umh, I'm not so positive about this anymore - I will have to do more test to see if it really is now _pure_ Raw NMEA.
Do you have also a constant offset of about +100m in altitude compared to sirf3?

Horst

tdusen

Sep 14, 2006
I found my "no connect" problem. If you set GPSMode to 1 and AGPS to 1, device connection fails. I turned off AGPS and the connection works again.

murf62

Jun 12, 2006
I have tried this and it does exactly as the OP said in my case. I get a constant GPS feed, so can now use my Kaiser for geocaching at last!

For the record, I'm using Memory Map Pro V5.05 Build 662, with GPS on COM4 & 115200 Baud. I also use AE Buttonplus to map a key to keep the device from turning off whilst using MM.

Last edited:

gilgatex

May 3, 2008
I tried setting both GPSMode and AGPS to various values and each time it behaves exactly the same :(

murf62

Jun 12, 2006
Do a soft reset and try again. It's only a subtle difference though, so if Static Nav is not a problem for you before, you will hardly notice the change.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
This is awesome news, I can't wait to try it out! Last time I tried to geocache with my Tilt I never could get it to settle down on any one spot. It kept sending me 30 feet in random directions. I switched to my bluetooth unit and it sent me right to the spot.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I launched GPSTest today while waiting for someone in my car and noticed that the reading stayed constant for the entire time I was there, only started changing after I started moving.

I'm going to double-check my registry entry and also try disabling AGPS to see if that makes a difference.

horst-vario

Jul 18, 2006
Today I was walking in areas with limited visibility to satellites. I set GPSMode to 1, but still got alternating freeze and jumping of the positions. Too bad, this does not (or only partially?) solve the problem. Are there other devices with the same GPS chip built in? If they have static navigation switched off, there should be a way to do it for the Kaiser, too...

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I launched GPSTest today while waiting for someone in my car and noticed that the reading stayed constant for the entire time I was there, only started changing after I started moving.

I'm going to double-check my registry entry and also try disabling AGPS to see if that makes a difference.

But what's interesting is that BeeLineGPS the reading updates constantly.. Not sure if it did before or not, honestly.. I'll have to change the value back to 2 and see out of curiousity.

GPSTest still stays at a static value... Interesting.

murf62

Jun 12, 2006
Some applications add static nav on their own by ignoring random small differences in position. Maybe that's what you're seeing here?

horst-vario

Jul 18, 2006
Just an idea: There are different data streams, $GPRMC, $GPGGA, etc. Maybe not every program uses the same, and at least one holds the raw positions, whilst another contains the computed points? Have to check this afterwards.

gilgatex

May 3, 2008
But what's interesting is that BeeLineGPS the reading updates constantly.. Not sure if it did before or not, honestly.. I'll have to change the value back to 2 and see out of curiousity.

GPSTest still stays at a static value... Interesting.

I tested with BeeLine GPS and that's how I knew nothing had changed from before.

It looks like it's continually updating, but it's continually updating with the incorrect values. Walk in a square and look at the raw latitude and longitude and you'll see what I mean.

Jack_Brody

Nov 24, 2007
Napajedla
If Kaiser continues like this, I don't have any more wishes for geocaching. :) Horst, this really helped me. I set HKLM\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS\GPSMode to 1 (was 2) and restarted.

I don't know if it actually switched off static navigation, but the device now behaves like it did. It is MUCH BETTER.

I love this gpsVP software for geocaching and also for simple navigation (it uses Google maps). Today I tried to navigate a few times to randomly selected points and it was great: the distance was slowly decreasing as I was slowly (1 km/h or less) approaching the waypoint. I haven't experienced this before and I'm really sensitive about what my Kaiser does.

Finally I don't have to walk fast for a few seconds for the GPS "to catch" the speed and to start updating coordinates. Perfect! :)