[Q] 9006v Any hope for a ROM?

Search This thread

Queueyou

Jan 2, 2011
There are roms now for the F versions, the H version, and even the 8w version. Any hope out there for the 9006v version? I have seen multiple roms on Chinese sites / etc, but nothing I have found yet will give an "English default" type of software. The Chinese version is missing data files for English in the S-Voice and other minor things over and over I keep running into small things. I have rooted / recovery flashed / etc, but haven't found a ROM worth trying. Is there something making the 9006v harder to do than the 9008w version? Is there anyone even attempting such a thing? The 9006v reports as a TD-LTE version if that helps determine what can/can't be used... I know that it is all possible, because I see roms on Chinese sites that i'm sure are rips/mods of roms here, but I want the default experience of an S5, but "English"....

Anything out there, anyone working on this? Any hope? Should I just sell the phone next time I'm back in China and give up for something else that actually has a ROM on here? I needed a phone that would work good there and here in the USA, and this phone i working fine for H+ (no lte, but that was expected, and i already have a phone here if i "really" need that).

Hell, I'd be happy for just an English version of a recovery... the one I have now I have to use another phone's camera to translate just to hope i get the right options in the menu...

maxruub123

Jul 25, 2014
There are roms now for the F versions, the H version, and even the 8w version. Any hope out there for the 9006v version? I have seen multiple roms on Chinese sites / etc, but nothing I have found yet will give an "English default" type of software. The Chinese version is missing data files for English in the S-Voice and other minor things over and over I keep running into small things. I have rooted / recovery flashed / etc, but haven't found a ROM worth trying. Is there something making the 9006v harder to do than the 9008w version? Is there anyone even attempting such a thing? The 9006v reports as a TD-LTE version if that helps determine what can/can't be used... I know that it is all possible, because I see roms on Chinese sites that i'm sure are rips/mods of roms here, but I want the default experience of an S5, but "English"....

Anything out there, anyone working on this? Any hope? Should I just sell the phone next time I'm back in China and give up for something else that actually has a ROM on here? I needed a phone that would work good there and here in the USA, and this phone i working fine for H+ (no lte, but that was expected, and i already have a phone here if i "really" need that).

Hell, I'd be happy for just an English version of a recovery... the one I have now I have to use another phone's camera to translate just to hope i get the right options in the menu...

Is it possible to flash a Google apps zip after flashing the chinese recovery on 9006v?

Thanks

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
There are roms now for the F versions, the H version, and even the 8w version. Any hope out there for the 9006v version? I have seen multiple roms on Chinese sites / etc, but nothing I have found yet will give an "English default" type of software.

You bought an Asian market only phone, so what did you expect? And if Samsung is to be believed it isn't really an S5. Or to put it another way, Samsung lied about there being no forthcoming "S5 Prime" to boost early sales on of the original S5. And to save face in the midst of the anger and outrage when their deception was revealed, claimed it to be a Korean market only phone which is now on it's own firmware path.

The net result of that is to make it something of an orphan. There is little reason to believe that you will ever see a large assortment of custom ROMs a la the 900F or other mainstream S5 variants. More likely you will see a 900H type scenario where it is something of an orphan and very little ever becomes available. Look for the 9006v support thread in the forum which talks about what has been done with the model to date. You can root it and I think that there were one or two semi-custom Chinese ROMs the last time that I looked.