Nexus One USB host driver

Search This thread

sonic74

Jan 3, 2010
Schwabach
sven.killig.de
Sven, have you tried to make OTG mode (dynamic host/peripheral switching) work properly yet?

No, my tries integrating the codeaurora and the Google kernel tree led to many error messages. But Andrew de Quincey is working on the original linux gadget framework.

Also, have you managed to get VBUS generation working?

No, I'm as afraid as Andrew is. And my worst case power consumption is 2 A. I'm thinking about a portable 5 V power source with the National Semiconductor LMZ line.

Last edited:

operron

Jul 10, 2007
Just apply the contents of *.rej by hand.

This is what I did shortly after having posted here... But this is not enough as the compilation then fails.
So I made further updates in some source files and have managed to get the kernel and the modules finally compiling.
I'm now ready to test this but.... as I don't have yet the OTG cable, I will have to wait for it to arrive !
However in the mean time if someone is willing to test my 2.6.29 usb host kernel, I'll be happy to share it.

Attachments

• android-msm-2.6.29-nexusone-usb-host.patch.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

rumborak

Jun 7, 2010
I'm also trying to make it work, and am waiting on the cables (I also ordered another one from Amazon, search for "Cables Unlimited USB Micro A Cable" , which I hope will work too).
A couple of questions: What is the dual-power cable for? Is it strictly necessary, or rather there for driving some of the more power-hungry devices?
Also, what would the APIs be for activating the N1's power supply? I'm sitting on a pile of N1s here at work, and I'd be happy to use one for testing that API :) I will be trying to connect a very low-consumption USB devices, so I'm hoping I could get away without an external power supply.

sonic74

Jan 3, 2010
Schwabach
sven.killig.de
I also ordered another one from Amazon, search for "Cables Unlimited USB Micro A Cable" , which I hope will work too.

No unique hit. How about a link?

What is the dual-power cable for?

To power the upstream port, because the hub chip get its power from there.

Is it strictly necessary?

Yes.

Also, what would the APIs be for activating the N1's power supply?

Look for msm_hsusb_vbus_power in git://codeaurora.org/quic/kernel/bryanh/linux-2.6.31.y.git

rumborak

Jun 7, 2010
No unique hit. How about a link?

I'm a new member, the forum doesn't let me post links yet :cool:

www_amazon_com/Cables-Unlimited-Micro-Cable-Meter/dp/B000UNKGHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1275926558&sr=8-1

To power the upstream port, because the hub chip get its power from there.

Ooh, I see. The hub chip is not powered by the N1 itself?
Or would this also get activated with the power API call?

rumborak

Jun 7, 2010
Hmm, now that I realize that the dual power cable is strictly needed, I guess it makes sense that you'd need a female USB plug on that end. I was hoping I could go straight from the OTG micro-A to either a hub, or directly to the device.

bipolarben

Mar 29, 2010
Android on external monitor?

Would it be possible to run the android interface on an attached usb external monitor?

sonic74

Jan 3, 2010
Schwabach
sven.killig.de
Last edited:

pikipirs

Jan 23, 2009
android.ccpcreations.com
At least it would be possible to mirror the phone screen by copying /dev/graphics/fb0 to /dev/graphics/fb1 periodically.

That's what I would love, being able to connect my phone to a TV or a pocket projector. How fast do you think mirroring would work? Order of 5, 15 or 50 fps? I've been meaning to test the fps speed of just copying from fb0, but it's a busy time, exams at college and all.

Gr8gorilla

Jan 29, 2010
Atlanta, Ga
The possibilities for this are endless. If it can work and have device mode working too.

You could have a sort of custom tablet that you plugged the phone into turning it into a sexyNexyPad. That would be awesome and would really be an interesting device.

If for say 150$ you could turn your Nexus into a pad, then you could have the best of both worlds.

toellby

Feb 18, 2009
Is there a chance to get this working on other Android Devices like HTC Desire?

It will be great...

rumborak

Jun 7, 2010
Sven, do you foresee any problems if one were to custom-build a connector

Female A plug -> Male Micro B

with an external 5V power supply (e.g. battery) spliced into the appropriate leads?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hub is really just there for a) powering the N1 host chip and b) providing a convenient means of attaching more than one device, correct?

sonic74

Jan 3, 2010
Schwabach
sven.killig.de
Sven, do you foresee any problems if one were to custom-build a connector

Female A plug -> Male Micro B

with an external 5V power supply (e.g. battery) spliced into the appropriate leads?

No.
Btw., I got a nice battery today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hub is really just there for a) powering the N1 host chip and b) providing a convenient means of attaching more than one device, correct?

a) The host chip is powered by the N1, which is powered by the hub :)
b) Exactly.

Top Liked Posts