[App] Zevele's Blinker v1.9 [22/12/2011]

Search This thread

reidler

Nov 4, 2009
Just released version 1.3

Check the first post for more info...

Z.

Thank you for this program. I downloaded it but have not installed it yet. I have a SPrint Touch Pro 2.

How about doing something for controlling the vibrate functions of the phone. Like a program that will allow the user to set up how the phone should vibrate for incoming phone calls, emails, sms messages, Calendar Reminders, Missed calls and Voice mails. The way my phone works now is very frustrating. It vibrates non-stop when a call comes in. By being able to program the vibrate to be a different pattern for each type of notification it is easy to be able to tell what type of notification the phone is vibrating for.

Is that something you might possibly be able to add to this application? I had a program that incorporated what you do with the leds and vibrate for the Palm Treo. It was called Treo Alert. It's an excellent program.

There are a couple of programs out there that only do the vibrate controls but they are incomplete - they do not offer all the notifications type (one only offers for incoming phone calls, the other only for emails and sms).

Thank you.

p50kombi

Dec 20, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Giving it a good test run over weekend...

Just released version 1.3

Check the first post for more info...

Z.

Great news.
Going to give it a proper test over the weekend.

Did you manage to improve the fact that Blinker sometimes stops working?
Do I still have to set untended mode?

Thanks buddy for the mention in the first post, well appreciated :) but all credit goes to brilliant developers who are willing to share their little gems....

:D

zevele

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 8, 2010
...How about doing something for controlling the vibrate functions of the phone. Like a program that will allow the user to set up how the phone should vibrate for incoming phone calls, emails, sms messages, Calendar Reminders, Missed calls and Voice mails...

I can easily add vibration to the application (I know how to do it on the HD2 - not sure how it will work on other devices...). This means vibration for notifications (SMS, EMail missed calls etc.) but not for incoming calls. Theoretically I could recognize when the phone rings and react to that, but I cannot override the original behavior - that is, I don't know what will happen when the phone is set to vibrate...

btw, I really like the idea of including vibration to the sequences...

Thanks,

Z.

Last edited:

reidler

Nov 4, 2009
I can easily add vibration to the application (I know how to do it on the HD2 - not sure how it will work on other devices...). This means vibration for notifications (SMS, EMail missed calls etc.) but not for incoming calls. Theoretically I could recognize when the phone rings and react to that, but I cannot override the original behavior - that is, I don't know what will happen when the phone is set to vibrate...

btw, I really like the idea of including vibration to the sequences...

Thanks,

Z.

Thanks. I had the feeling that it should be something you could add. I think the hard part is the polling for each new notification event and then having it run the vibrate pattern for the event. Well you're already doing the polling and making the LED blink. It should be easy to also have it vibrate a set up pattern.

How does your program work? Is it a mortscript type program? A netv35?
A place to start would be to look at the TREO Alert program. I could help some.

You might want to also look at the VIBRO 1.5 program and the VALERT programs to see how they allow the user to set up the vibration patterns.
You would want to allow six different patterns for the user to set up.

Phone call ...
Calendar Reminders ...
Missed calls ....
Voice Mails ....
New emails ...
New SMSs ...

Usually it would be a number representing how long it should vibrate and then a number of how long to remain still. Ex: 100,200,300,400 would vibrate 100 ms, then wait 200 ms, then vibrate 300 ms and then wait 400 ms. etc.

Then you might add an option to repeat the pattern x times.

As far as for incoming calls - the other programs automatically turn off the phone's settings for vibrate so that they won't both be trying to vibrate for each notification.

Thanks so much. Good luck. I hope you can do it.
Eli

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
How does your program work? Is it a mortscript type program? A netv35?
It's .Net CF 3.5
A place to start would be to look at the TREO Alert program...
Thanks for the references I'll check them...
You would want to allow six different patterns...
Blinker already does that except for the Phone call and Calendar reminders (check the first post)

Usually it would be a number representing how long...
That's exactly what Blinker does (check the second post).

As far as for incoming calls - the other programs automatically turn off the phone's settings for vibrate so that they won't both be trying to vibrate for each notification.
Yes, that what I thought of doing...

Thanks so much. Good luck. I hope you can do it.

Thanks for your suggestion, I could implement them, but it might take some time, as I do it on my free time...

Z.

GeitjeG

Nov 7, 2009
Rotterdam
Great program. However it drains my battery. I know this can be expected of a program like this running in background (as a service), but I hope it can be solved...

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Great program. However it drains my battery. I know this can be expected of a program like this running in background (as a service), but I hope it can be solved...

That's odd, I didn't notice any effects on the battery life on my device... what device are you on? Did you change the default settings? Try checking the "Use WM notifications" this maybe improve somewhat the power consumption (not sure though...)

Z.

p50kombi

Dec 20, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
problem, won't stop blinking

I can confirm that when you don't use wm notifications it drains your battery (and still uses quite a lot of cpu every second)
when using wm notifications option no cpu load, so that's good.
however when I get a text using wm notifications I can't stop the blinking after reading the text.
so even if notification is cleared blinking does not stop, even if I stop and start the service again.
only reboot of phone clears it.
Any ideas?
we're getting there :)

GeitjeG

Nov 7, 2009
Rotterdam
Alright, wil try that.
I had extreme low battery use since I set up the newest radio ROM some weeks ago.

Before using Blinker, it drained <1%/hr in standby. I could use my hd2 for more than 48 hours without charging and with normal use (2 times newsreading a day, texting, few calls, reading emails). With so low drain, a little extra drain is easily seen.

I uninstalled Blinker the day before yesterday, and I'm back to normal battery use now. I will install it again, and tick "use WM notifications", and report back.

That's odd, I didn't notice any effects on the battery life on my device... what device are you on? Did you change the default settings? Try checking the "Use WM notifications" this maybe improve somewhat the power consumption (not sure though...)

Z.

reidler

Nov 4, 2009
It's .Net CF 3.5

Thanks for the references I'll check them...

Blinker already does that except for the Phone call and Calendar reminders (check the first post)

That's exactly what Blinker does (check the second post).

Yes, that what I thought of doing...

Thanks for your suggestion, I could implement them, but it might take some time, as I do it on my free time...

Z.

For Calendar Reminders the reisters are in: HKLM\System\State\Reminder\Count\APPT\

In that register folder there are nodes that only become active when there is 1 or more. APPT is the regular calendar reminders. APPTALLDAY is for remidners for all day events. ALARMS is for the clock alarm. There are probably more but only learned them as they come along. When these are not 1 or more then they do not exist.

Thanks for trying. It would be a great enhancement to your program. I had read on the forums for Treo Alert that many people that upgraded their phones from the Treo were asking for this (like I am).

Take care,
Eli

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
I can confirm that when you don't use wm notifications it drains your battery (and still uses quite a lot of cpu every second)

When I check the CPU usage I see ~0.5% only when the leds blink (i.e. every 10secs - by default). There is a 1sec frequency but only for responsiveness - just handling any messages in the message queue, and checking if the 10sec period passed... How do you check the CPU usage? I'm using FdcSoft's Task Manager v3.3...

however when I get a text using wm notifications I can't stop the blinking after reading the text.
so even if notification is cleared blinking does not stop,
I checked it now with missed-calls and new mail - there was no problem... (just pressed the "dismiss all button")

even if I stop and start the service again.
only reboot of phone clears it.
Did you stop&start the service via the settings window? Just to check - the blinks stopped after you stopped the service, right?

Actually, the blinking problem is kinda weird - it sounds to me that the notification was not cleared (only after you rebooted the device). I don't think it's Blinker's fault - but I'm not sure it's not either... Let me know if this happens again...

Thanks,

Z.

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
For Calendar Reminders the reisters are in: HKLM\System\State\Reminder\Count\APPT\

In that register folder there are nodes that only become active when there is 1 or more. APPT is the regular calendar reminders. APPTALLDAY is for remidners for all day events. ALARMS is for the clock alarm. There are probably more but only learned them as they come along. When these are not 1 or more then they do not exist.

Thanks Eli,

I'll check that registry key tomorrow (when I'll have an active meeting notification... ;))

Currently I am using the keys under
[HKLM\System\State\Shell\Notifications]
for the notifications I use today. Each notification has a unique ID there when opened... and I've noticed that there is one for the appointments as well - so it's just a matter of Identifying the IDs of the notifications we wan't Blinker to react to...

Z.

p50kombi

Dec 20, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
When I check the CPU usage I see ~0.5% only when the leds blink (i.e. every 10secs - by default). There is a 1sec frequency but only for responsiveness - just handling any messages in the message queue, and checking if the 10sec period passed... How do you check the CPU usage? I'm using FdcSoft's Task Manager v3.3...

I checked it now with missed-calls and new mail - there was no problem... (just pressed the "dismiss all button")

Did you stop&start the service via the settings window? Just to check - the blinks stopped after you stopped the service, right?

Actually, the blinking problem is kinda weird - it sounds to me that the notification was not cleared (only after you rebooted the device). I don't think it's Blinker's fault - but I'm not sure it's not either... Let me know if this happens again...

Thanks,

Z.

I am using both FCD (Dotfred) and the hd2 built in task manager (use menu-view-processes to display blinker cpu usage)

I dismiss my notifications by just reading the text message which clears the notification in Manila and in therefore there is no dismiss all any more.
I have uninstalled this morning again as unfortunately Blinker just stops working when device goes to sleep mode (I think it just stops blinking when the device goes into unattended mode, the one beyond screen off so to speak.)

If this little gem keeps working, it'll be perfect.
For now I am back to aforementioned led notification (not the netripper one) as that works brilliant, except it does not allow you to blink keypad and it is therefore sometimes hard to see that you've got a notification.

Last edited:

GeitjeG

Nov 7, 2009
Rotterdam
Today I tried again, and though less than the last time, my battery empties quicker than without Blinker. I set blink interval to 3 sec., which might be the cause.

I know we can't expect from this software to use no power at all. But right now it is still using too much for me. I only need the blinks for esthetic purposes anyway...

Alright, wil try that.
I had extreme low battery use since I set up the newest radio ROM some weeks ago.

Before using Blinker, it drained <1%/hr in standby. I could use my hd2 for more than 48 hours without charging and with normal use (2 times newsreading a day, texting, few calls, reading emails). With so low drain, a little extra drain is easily seen.

I uninstalled Blinker the day before yesterday, and I'm back to normal battery use now. I will install it again, and tick "use WM notifications", and report back.

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
I am using both FCD (Dotfred) and the hd2 built in task manager (use menu-view-processes to display blinker cpu usage)

I didn't see any unusual CPU usage also using the built-in one... maybe it's something to do the framework version?

I dismiss my notifications by just reading the text message which clears the notification in Manila and in therefore there is no dismiss all any more.
when you write "text message" do you refer to SMS messages? does this occurs also with other notifications (missed calls, new emails)?
I have uninstalled this morning again as unfortunately Blinker just stops working when device goes to sleep mode (I think it just stops blinking when the device goes into unattended mode, the one beyond screen off so to speak.)
This is the unattended mode problem - I haven't a clue how to solve it.

For now I am back to aforementioned led notification (not the netripper one) as that works brilliant, except it does not allow you to blink keypad and it is therefore sometimes hard to see that you've got a notification.
I just recalled that this is the project I borrowed the code to control the LEDs from... I reviewed its code again and apparently htcjordi does nothing special to keep the application alive after the device goes into unattended mode... but, LedNotifications is written in c++ and Blinker is .Net CF 3.5 so maybe that's the difference...

Thanks,

Z.

p50kombi

Dec 20, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I didn't see any unusual CPU usage also using the built-in one... maybe it's something to do the framework version?

when you write "text message" do you refer to SMS messages? does this occurs also with other notifications (missed calls, new emails)?

This is the unattended mode problem - I haven't a clue how to solve it.

I just recalled that this is the project I borrowed the code to control the LEDs from... I reviewed its code again and apparently htcjordi does nothing special to keep the application alive after the device goes into unattended mode... but, LedNotifications is written in c++ and Blinker is .Net CF 3.5 so maybe that's the difference...

Thanks,

Z.

yep... sms message.
I haven't noticed it with other notifications.
maybe it is the difference between c++ and netcf...

hope there unattended mode problem gets fixed.
any plans for c++ version?

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
...I just recalled that this is the project I borrowed the code to control the LEDs from... I reviewed its code again and apparently htcjordi does nothing special to keep the application alive after the device goes into unattended mode... but, LedNotifications is written in c++ and Blinker is .Net CF 3.5 so maybe that's the difference...
Just tried Blinker & got the same Unattended Mode issue. Very promising app, though, keep up the good work! Maybe take a look at ReRemind. Not sure what language it's written in, but the source code is available & it has no trouble with audio reminders and unattended mode. Actually, with them both running, Blinker comes back to life for a few minutes every time ReRemind plays it's notification sound.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi, Following the requests here, I've wrote this application. Basically the application blinks the device LED every few seconds. The idea is to have some notification that the device is still alive. The application blinks differently depending on the status of the device.

Main features:
    • Including sequences for normal, low battery, no-signal, new message (Voice/SMS/MMS/EMail), Missed calls, appointments, wireless status (bluetooth and wifi), GPS status and charging level.
    • Almost all sequences can be configured via the settings application.
    • Sequences may include blinking the green and orange LEDs (in HD2 - may be configured in other devices), the keypad LED, vibration and playing a wav file.
    • If the radio is turned off or there is no signal, another orange blink occurs (in addition to the regular one).
    • When the phone is charging the orange LED lights constantly, every few seconds a sequence of green blinks according to the batter level occurs (20-40% - 1 blink, 40-60% - 2 blinks, 60-80% - 3 blinks and 80-100% - 4 blinks). If the battery is fully charged - the green led lights constantly.
    • Blink interval and length can be set via the registry. Different blink interval for idle mode and when notification exists (new message/missed call).
    • Running the link once starts the application, on blink sequence occurs. Running the link again runs the settings application from which the service can be closed.
    Known issues
    • Custom LED id's are not saved to the registry in ver. 1.5.
    • It seems that there are some issues running "Dusk taskbar" or "SDKCERTS" along with Blinker.
    • Sometimes when the device is locked, the application stops working (until the device wakes up). After a soft-reset the application returns to behave as expected. I really don't know what instigates the problem or how to solve it... If anyone has a clue please leave me a message. Not solved, but might be better in ver. 1.1.
      Update(16/4/2011): setting [HKCU\Software\Blinker\AllowUnattendedMode] to 0. Solved this issue for some. Also enabling "Don't suspend power" in S2U2 (under the advanced category) seems to help.
      Update(14/5/2011): In ver. 1.4 a possibility to periodically wake the device, it seems that this solution might work around the issue.
      gpobernardo may have found a solution to the problem.
      [*]Non at the moment (I'm sure some will pop soon... ;))

System Requirements
    • .Net Compact Framework 3.5
    • Tested successfully on: HTC HD2 (Leo), HTC TD2 (Topaz), HTC Touch HD (Blackstone), HTC Touch2 (Mega).
      But might work on other devices (please let me know if it works on other devices as well...)

ChangeLog
    • 07/12/11 (v1.9) - from post #198
      • Fixed issue where service could not be started from the settings application.
    • 07/12/11 (v1.8) - from post #196
      • Added GPS status support.
    • 04/09/11 (v1.7) - from post #180
      • Fixed issue where Blinker halts at midnight (thanks gpobernardo).
    • 20/08/11 (v1.6) - from post #177
      • Fixed issue where custom LED id's where not saved.
    • 13/08/11 (v1.5) - from post #173
      • Added a notifications check when power state changes.
      • Added 3 more custom LEDs.
      • Shortcut link now point to the settings application instead of the service itself.
    • 14/05/11 (v1.4) - from post #151
      • Rewrote the service project in c++ (Now the service requires significantly less memory when running).
      • Added ability to vibrate (see second post for further information).
      • Added ability to play a wav file in the sequence (see second post for further information).
      • Added sequences for "Appointment" and "New MMS".
      • Blinker now uses only the WM notification method.
      • Removed the "Use WM Notification" as it is no longer required.
      • Removed the "SMS Store" setting as it is no longer required.
      • Fixed issue where in lower resolution devices a scroll bar did not appear in the settings application.
      • Added "Advanced" tab in the settings application.
      • Added a "Wakeup notification" - this option will force the device to wake every couple of seconds. This should solve the "unattended issue" - but might affect the battery drain. This feature can be turned on under the "advanced" tab in the settings application.
      • Hibernates when no blinking is required.
      • Changed "AllowUnattendedMode" to "ForceUnattendedMode" and added a checkbox to control this value under the "advanced" tab.
    • 06/04/11 (v1.3) - from post #101
      • Blinker can now use the notification system instead of directly check the Stores (thanks peterpan911 for the tip). This can be configured in the setting, under "Use WM Notifications".
      • Blinker can be configured to load on startup from the settings window.
      • Improved performance (thanks p50kombi)
      • Some minor interface improvement to the settings dialog.
    • 10/02/11 (v1.2) - from post #77
      • Added possibility to set the green/orange LED id.
      • Added possibility to set the SMS store name.
      • Improved error handling in case SMS store is not found.
    • 03/12/10 (v1.1) - from post #62
      • Added notifications for new message (SMS/EMail/Voice), missed calls and wireless status.
      • Added possibility to blink the keypad light as-well.
      • Added separate delay interval on new message or missed call.
      • Tweaked the unattended mode. The halting problem still exists, but it seems better now.
      • Added a configuration utility. To run it press the Blinker shortcut again (after blinker is already running).
    • 06/11/10 (v1.0) - Initial release

Downloads
    Acknowledgements

Any suggestions or remarks are welcome

Z.
    ....I noticed that the blinking (at least on my HTC T3333) stops everytime the date changes...

Indeed there was an issue regarding midnight in the wakeup loop. I've modified the code and it should be fixed now... Please let me know if it solves the problem (cab attached). If it's good I'll update the first post.

Thanks,

Z.
    ...Is there a way, that it shows only the "no-signal status", for instance by additional settings and all other notifications will be the normal of the HD2 ?

You can set all sequences to empty strings, and disable "ACNotification", this should get you what you want...

Z.
    gpobernardo, first - thanks for testing the fix. I'll post a the link on the first post.

...Right after installing version 1.7, the blinking stopped after around 2 minutes...

The fix was very minor and shouldn't affect anything else (afaik...). Let me know if this issue returns.

Z.
    ...Can you fit this software for Touch pro too?

I thought I had it fixed - I'll check it and hopefully it'll be good in the next release...

Z.