[REF] bedalus' R&D compendium!

Search This thread
B

bedalus

Over my time here in XDA I've built up a few studies on the Nexus S.

Here are the links. There are summaries in each thread in the first and second (and sometimes third) posts of the main findings, but I've done some very quick and minimal overviews here also.

How to build a kernel: this thread
-This post takes you through installing Ubuntu right through to managing git, in order to compile your own kernel, and flash it in CWM recovery!
-Includes the tools you need to add MTP capabilities to your kernel.

User eXperience Benchmarks: this thread
-This shows which ROM and kernel threads have the best user feedback. The feedback is processed by an external sentiment analysis API. It is only meant as a rough guide, something of a quick reference particularly if you are looking for a new ROM to try. As of June 2012 this is no longer maintained.

All ICS ROM Benchmarks: this thread
-Freely available benchmark programs were used to determine which ROMs had the best performance. Generally the difference between the best ones is very small.

Battery Drain Benchmarks: this thread
-A collection of tips for getting the best battery life, and dispelling some myths.

Kernel Features and Benchmarks: this thread
-My original study, the one that started it all, the kernel benchmarks! Provides a quick table to compare which kernels perform best in CPU/RAM/IO/Database/Graphics.

CPU Governors and I/O Schedulers: this thread
-A study done to find which schedulers perform best in combination with the most popular governors. My two favourites (ondemand and smartassV2) combine best with noop.

Power Saving Governors: this thread
-A meta study done combining the findings from the battery study and governor study to show which governors will save the most power. Ondemand comes out significantly better than conservative, which surprised me. SmartassV2 is the best compromise for high performance and efficiency.

Does SuperCharging work?: this thread
-This was just a short study to find out if this script is suitable for the Nexus S, but it turned out it had no effect, positive or negative.

Kernel Memory Allocators: this thread
-This is another short study for kernel developers to show that SLUB performs best.

Last edited:
B

bedalus

====
This thread is just an index. Our new mod veyka agreed would be a good idea to summarise all my studies for addition into the sticky roundup.
====

EDIT: Feel free to suggest any new things that I might be able to test!

Last edited:
B

bedalus

Uh, well, I haven't tested the limit... but I never get denied!

glennkaonang

Feb 6, 2012
Surabaya
Even when browsing through the app you'd still get that annoying thanks limit.

This is a really good overview for new NS users. (I doubt there are ever some since mostly would go directly for G-Nex)
What's next?
That "Oodie's Assassins' Performance Benchmark" sounds interesting, though.

PS: @Oodie, you should have kanged your assassins before sending them to bedalus' compound. That way, your assassins' would have at least injured bedalus :D :D

jayjay3333

Oct 15, 2011
Ontario
Great reference for a refresher or for a new comer. Really like the battery drain benchmarks and how you discuss some myths. Governors is great...love Smartass V2 with Matrix V20!!

Thanks @bedalus!! Totally deserves a sticky.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

B

bedalus

There was like ten stickies, I think veyka wants to keep everything in a list in one sticky.

I appreciate the sentiment though!

BLaZeDRas

Jul 18, 2012
There was like ten stickies, I think veyka wants to keep everything in a list in one sticky.

I appreciate the sentiment though!

thank you for all your work, love your kernels :)... currently been using deadline/ondemand but since you say it is not best I will try smartassv2+noop.. (I've found smartass with other combinations give me a lot of lag)

B

bedalus

thank you for all your work, love your kernels :)... currently been using deadline/ondemand but since you say it is not best I will try smartassv2+noop.. (I've found smartass with other combinations give me a lot of lag)

Ondemand for good balance between performance and battery saving. Smartassv2 for gaming. CFQ and deadline are the best governors, but deadline probably has the edge.

Top Liked Posts