Search This thread

2012katas

Aug 15, 2012
Mumbai
Warning: This thread is for Karbonn smart tab 8 version 2

Version 2 tablets can be identified by S/N: ST*********** ver 2 at the back panel of the device

Root on Karbonn ST-8 Ver 2:

DISCLAIMER: ROOTING YOUR TABLET WILL PROBABLY VOID YOUR WARRANTY FROM THE MANUFACTURER. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO ACCEPT FAULT FOR ANY ADVERSE EFFECTS OF ROOTING, THEN DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER. HERE BE DRAGONS.

Rooting

1. Download the utoo-root-signed.zip from here and copy it to a microSD card (do NOT extract it)
  2. Charge up the battery in your Karbonn ST-8_version2, Power Off and remove the charger cable.
  3. Insert the microSD card into your tablet
  4. Get into Recovery mode( Power+volume down ) .
  5. In the recovery you can move with the Volume down button, you can select with Power or Volume up
  6. Select the apply update from EXT option
  7. Select the utoo-root-signed.zip, this will install the package
  8. Wait for the update to finish
  9. Select reboot system now
This is a tried and tested method and has worked for everyone till now.
Attached zip credit goes to xda user @Lannig

Lag-free Tweak

1. Install SetCPU app
  2. Download the file Setcpu.txt from here
  3. Paste it into the root of your SD Card
  4. Open SetCPU, first change the governor from "conservative" to "performance2"(This is the most important thing)
  5. Click on options button(three dots) and then click Device Selection
  6. Select Custom Frequencies
  7. Now Set Min frequency to 48 MHz and Max frequency to anything according to your preference(Now you'll have the choice of setting the frequency upto 1.5 GHz)

Note:
  1. When you wan't to conserve more battery lower the Max Frequency(while browsing or listening to music maybe) and when playing HD games up the Max Frequency(Most games will run perfectly with even 1200 MHz)
  2. 48MHz of Min frequency will give more battery in in standby mode.
  3. Try not to Clock the CPU above 1.2 GHz for a long time as it could cause heat issues. The governor itself should speedup everything for you.

Low Internal Memory

The fact that our devices have only 1.51 GB of Internal Storage limits the capabilities of our devices. Especially with HD Games.
I recommend using GL2SD for games at the moment.
Get used to using the app, its pretty easy..

Also SEE THIS

Battery Tips

Build.prop edits
hw.nophone=true(was false)
hw.hasdata=false(was commented out and true)
ro.carrier=wifi-only(was unknown)
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=240(was commented out)
hw.hasethernet=false(was true)[ I dont use ethernet :p ]

I use Greenify a lot :)

Also i had
1)phone.apk and odex
2)telephony.apk and odex
I removed them ( to stop displaying of cell signal usage in battery stats )

Also for ppl who want to unbrick st8-v2
  1. Get the stock firmware package from HERE
  2. Get the amlogic flash tool from HERE or HERE
  3. Follow the instructions for the flash tool using the instruction manual from HERE or HERE

See the above posts and remember...........do not do things blindly........read the details completely and understand and then implement

Press Thanks if I helped U..........cheers :cowboy:

Attachments

• utoo-root-signed.zip
    576.9 KB · Views: 4,019
  • Setcpu.txt
    123 bytes · Views: 647
Last edited:

2012katas

Aug 15, 2012
Mumbai
Stock Karbonn ST-8 Ver 2

Karbonn ST-8 v2 Stock ROM Dump And Unbricking ur bricked tablet

For a complete dump head to :
Mirror 1 [Box.com]
Mirror 2 [Mediafire.com]

For ppl who have flashed wrong TWRP in a hurry SEE THIS

also attached to this post is the Stock Recovery for Karbonn ST-8 Ver 2

Attachments

• recovery.img
    8 MB · Views: 658
Last edited:
Reactions: devashish64

fizzy177

Feb 24, 2012
Delhi
TWRP Recvoery For smart tab 8 ver 2 Stock flashable

The attached file contains TWRP for Smart tab8 ver2.
It is initial release so it contains many bugs.
As i'm very lazy to do so myself so, if u tell me i'll resolve the bugs accordingly.
AND PLEASE NOTE I Don't have the tab so u have to check the releases yourself. My friend needs the twrp because he screwed his tablet. So i just made one for him to recover his tablet Just As is basis.

Attachments

• TWRP-2.4.4.0-ST8ver2-signed.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 1,059

2012katas

Aug 15, 2012
Mumbai
As i'm very lazy to do so myself so, if u tell me i'll resolve the bugs accordingly.
AND PLEASE NOTE I Don't have the tab so u have to check the releases yourself. My friend needs the twrp because he screwed his tablet. So i just made one for him to recover his tablet Just As is basis.

EDIT: ur zip dosent flash in stock recovery....i got the recovery.img from zip and flashed it using flash_image binary

1. TWRP menu is visible and can be navigated
2. All buttons working
3. Reboot and settings menu fully working
4. Backup and Restore working ( tried system and data backup )
5. Mount menu ....only external sdcard can be mounted
6. Advanced menu copy log to sd working ....terminal command and file manager not working( flickering of recovery -->slide to unlock then black out)
7. Didnt try install and wipe options

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2010
need help.. please, White screen boot

I had just received my 'smart tab 8 Ver 2' two days ago and i was trying to root and install fuser-invent custom rom in it.. one thing led to another and by the time i realized the firmware of ver1 is diff than ver 2, the damage was already done.. now my tab displays a white screen and nothing else.. it wont even boot into stock recovery. can some one please help me. :crying::crying:

bubaiv

Jan 11, 2011
Root.....Check!

Thanks for the Root dude! It worked Awesome!!

Now if only we can have the Custom bugless roms the V1 users have and then it would be an icing on the cake!

I'm prepared to help out in anyway to be able to experience that goodness!! :fingers-crossed:

Aviast11

Sep 6, 2013
Banglore
I am also facing the same problem , but when i connect my tablet to pc it shows "M3 CHiP" a new hard ware found . But i dont know how to fix my tablet . i knows M3 chip is amlogic processor and AML flash tool can be used to flash it ( i found it from google) . Somebody please help me to fix my tablet . :(

2012katas

Aug 15, 2012
Mumbai
unbrick

I am also facing the same problem , but when i connect my tablet to pc it shows "M3 CHiP" a new hard ware found . But i dont know how to fix my tablet . i knows M3 chip is amlogic processor and AML flash tool can be used to flash it ( i found it from google) . Somebody please help me to fix my tablet . :(

Steps to unbrick ur tab:

Unbrick st-8-V2
1. Download the above zip extract the above zip to the root of an empty sdcard. It should look like this
2. Put the sdcard in your tablet
3. Press Power+Volume down and let it update the tablet

for furthur assistance see this link
the method i mentioned is the first one,sdcard one ....report after ur trial so that it may help others...

Aviast11

Sep 6, 2013
Banglore
Steps to unbrick ur tab:

1. Download the above zip extract the above zip to the root of an empty sdcard. It should look like
2. Put the sdcard in your tablet
3. Press Power+Volume down and let it update the tablet

for furthur assistance see
the method i mentioned is the first one,sdcard one ....report after ur trial so that it may help others...

Hi

I tried the way u mentioned , but nothing happend , still its showing white screen.

the way i did is :-
1. extract the zip and put all files inside my SD card (same as the image u showed)
2. put SD card in my tablet and pressed vol down+power (i tried with all key combinations)
3. only white screen.

also i downloaded "usb image tool" but i dont have image file to load ..
please help me to fix my tablet.:(

maxsumesh

Jun 8, 2013
i am a newbie, I wanted to know if there is any method to upgrade Smarttab ver-2 to android 4.2.2
I want to use multiple useraccount feature in 4.2.2
I have read the forum threads and it isnt quite clear if such an upgrade is possible and tested.

assipposi

Sep 9, 2013
recovery

the above method aborted after starting update.please guide to recover my karbon velox smat tab 8 v2 .it is always booting to recovery screen.

2012katas

Aug 15, 2012
Mumbai
unbricking st8 version2

I had just received my 'smart tab 8 Ver 2' two days ago and i was trying to root and install fuser-invent custom rom in it.. one thing led to another and by the time i realized the firmware of ver1 is diff than ver 2, the damage was already done.. now my tab displays a white screen and nothing else.. it wont even boot into stock recovery. can some one please help me. :crying::crying:

the above method aborted after starting update.please guide to recover my karbon velox smat tab 8 v2 .it is always booting to recovery screen.

Ok guys,This the first and last time I am posting this....
To unbrick ur tab......
1. Post what u did
2. What is wrong with the tablet according to your understanding
If you want to be helped the above two points really matter........
3. See this link
4. All info about unbricking various types of bricks can be found on the thread....
5. Also i would suggest you go through the thread fully and understand every detail
6. Another alternative for you guys would be Karbonn service center, But I feel it is useless as they take minimum 30-45 days to repair things
7. The method i mentioned is the first one,sdcard one

At this moment we have an experimental unbrick package with us thanks to developer @fuser-invent
This package is to be used in the STEP 3 of SOFT BRICK UNBRICK SDCARD method

Step 3
This only works if the first method completed far enough to allow you into the Stock Recovery or if the Alternative Methods worked and you now need to install the correct firmware.
0. Restore your SD card back to normal capacity with the SD Formatter software. This can take a long time, be patient. Choose the following options:
- FORMAT TYPE -> FULL (Overwrite)
- FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT -> ON
1. Get THIS firmware package
2. Download the above zip extract the above zip to the root of an empty sdcard( less than 2gb ). It should look like this all four files should be in the root of the sdcard.
3. Just FYI, the zip folder among those four files is the stock rom ( it has boot.img,bootloder.img,system,recovery.img,aml_logo.img,logo.img )
Also this package is a recovery package for soft bricks....
4. Put the sdcard in your tablet
5. Hold down the Power and Vol - buttons to enter the Stock Recovery
6. Flash your firmware package and reboot the tablet.
7. If it worked, either plug your tablet into the computer and use USB mode or shut down your tablet and remove the SD card, then remove the "u-boot.bin" and "uImage_recovery" files from your SD card.
8. Boot back into recovery and make sure that the firmware package correctly installed the Stock Recovery on your device.
Your tablet is now back to it's original Factory Settings.
6. For furthur assistance see this link

7. If you are successful plz report back...........it will help others

Last edited:

fuser-invent

Nov 17, 2012
Vermont
benjaminzeman.bandcamp.com
Ok guys,This the first and last time I am posting this....
To unbrick ur tab......
1. Post what u did
2. What is wrong with the tablet according to your understanding
If you want to be helped the above two points really matter........

At this moment we have an experimental unbrick package with us thanks to developer @fuser-invent
1. Get THIS frimware package
2. Download the above zip extract the above zip to the root of an empty sdcard( less than 2gb ). It should look like this
3. Just FYI, the zip folder among those four files is the stock rom ( it has boot.img,bootloder.img,system,recovery.img,aml_logo.img,logo.img )
Also this package is a recovery package for soft bricks....
4. Put the sdcard in your tablet
5. Press Power+Volume down and let it update the tablet
6. For furthur assistance see this link
The method i mentioned is the first one,sdcard one ....report after ur trial so that it may help others...
7. All info about unbricking various types of bricks can be found on the thread....
8. Also i would suggest you go through the thread fully and understand every detail
9. If you are successful plz report back...........it will help others
10. Another alternative for you guys would be Karbonn service center, But I feel it is useless as they take minimum 30-45 days to repair things

As 2012katas said, it's very important to go to the thread he links in #6. Yes, it is a HUGE thread, but it is detailed for a reason. 99% of your questions will be answered in that thread.

For example, the thread clearly says to use the ELF2 rescue image and the USB image tool to prepare your card first, then delete the ELF2 files from it and replace them with the files for your tablet. It also says that if that doesn't work you can try the SD Formatter software with my suggested settings to try and prep your card. I have no idea if the package will work until someone tries it the correct way and reports back.

On another note. If it doesn't work the first time, try to delete the u-boot.bin file only and then try again. Also mentioned in the thread, some people need to press and hold the power and vol- buttons and then when the tablet starts lighting up, start pressing the power button repeatedly, but that is rare.

As for the people with deep bricked tablets (showing the M3/M6 chip), you don't have anything to loose at this point so you best bet is to download the ST10_20121129.zip package, remove the patch.zip and update.zip, put the ST8 v2 firmware package zip I made in that folder, edit the config_progress.xml so the firmware package name is correct and no longer called update.zip, delete the part for the patch.zip, renumber the remaining steps, zip the whole thing back up and load it into the AML USB Burning software.

That might work or it might not work. You have to intelligently experiment because there is no official release for the tablet. Also you will notice that in the unbricking thread I say that if you can get the tablet showing some signs of life after the M3/M6 chip deep brick, you can then move to the SD card method. So if the usb_spl.bin and u-boot-orig.bin for the ST10 work with the ST8 to at least get the tablet out of M3/M6 mode then you could use the SD card method.

Lastly, to 2012katas, I'm rarely on XDA so if you have more questions, I see them more often on DragonDevs. You seem into this Dev stuff and smart, so feel free to get in touch to troubleshoot more.

Reactions: 2012katas

2012katas

Aug 15, 2012
Mumbai
Awesome TAB

I love this tab...
Runs Asphalt 8 flawless on 1.5ghz OC'ed.............totally awesome no lags..
btw OC'ed for battery=100% to battery=6%
tablet heats up a little on back side...........but okay for gaming........

Venky153

Aug 11, 2013
Hi All,

I accidentally flashed TWRP recovery before routing. On Karbon Smart tab 8 Ver 2

Now, I can't do any thing...

I tried factory reset it not working.

Also failed to get into fastboot mode...

Need help to go back and flash stock recovery..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning: This thread is for Karbonn smart tab 8 version 2

Version 2 tablets can be identified by S/N: ST*********** ver 2 at the back panel of the device

Root on Karbonn ST-8 Ver 2:

DISCLAIMER: ROOTING YOUR TABLET WILL PROBABLY VOID YOUR WARRANTY FROM THE MANUFACTURER. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO ACCEPT FAULT FOR ANY ADVERSE EFFECTS OF ROOTING, THEN DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER. HERE BE DRAGONS.

Rooting

1. Download the utoo-root-signed.zip from here and copy it to a microSD card (do NOT extract it)
    2. Charge up the battery in your Karbonn ST-8_version2, Power Off and remove the charger cable.
    3. Insert the microSD card into your tablet
    4. Get into Recovery mode( Power+volume down ) .
    5. In the recovery you can move with the Volume down button, you can select with Power or Volume up
    6. Select the apply update from EXT option
    7. Select the utoo-root-signed.zip, this will install the package
    8. Wait for the update to finish
    9. Select reboot system now
    This is a tried and tested method and has worked for everyone till now.
    Attached zip credit goes to xda user @Lannig

Lag-free Tweak

1. Install SetCPU app
    2. Download the file Setcpu.txt from here
    3. Paste it into the root of your SD Card
    4. Open SetCPU, first change the governor from "conservative" to "performance2"(This is the most important thing)
    5. Click on options button(three dots) and then click Device Selection
    6. Select Custom Frequencies
    7. Now Set Min frequency to 48 MHz and Max frequency to anything according to your preference(Now you'll have the choice of setting the frequency upto 1.5 GHz)

Note:
    1. When you wan't to conserve more battery lower the Max Frequency(while browsing or listening to music maybe) and when playing HD games up the Max Frequency(Most games will run perfectly with even 1200 MHz)
    2. 48MHz of Min frequency will give more battery in in standby mode.
    3. Try not to Clock the CPU above 1.2 GHz for a long time as it could cause heat issues. The governor itself should speedup everything for you.

Low Internal Memory

The fact that our devices have only 1.51 GB of Internal Storage limits the capabilities of our devices. Especially with HD Games.
    I recommend using GL2SD for games at the moment.
    Get used to using the app, its pretty easy..

Also SEE THIS

Battery Tips

Build.prop edits
    hw.nophone=true(was false)
    hw.hasdata=false(was commented out and true)
    ro.carrier=wifi-only(was unknown)
    wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=240(was commented out)
    hw.hasethernet=false(was true)[ I dont use ethernet :p ]

I use Greenify a lot :)

Also i had
    1)phone.apk and odex
    2)telephony.apk and odex
    I removed them ( to stop displaying of cell signal usage in battery stats )

Also for ppl who want to unbrick st8-v2
    1. Get the stock firmware package from HERE
    2. Get the amlogic flash tool from HERE or HERE
    3. Follow the instructions for the flash tool using the instruction manual from HERE or HERE

See the above posts and remember...........do not do things blindly........read the details completely and understand and then implement

Thanks for the response, but I have a noob question, Do I have to just boot up or flash the zip from recovery?
    I have tried booting up but it just gets stuck at the Karbonn logo.
    EDIT: Tried booting into recovery and that seems to have installed the stock recovery, but the the installation of the stock rom seems to have failed- again. Still getting stuck at boot logo, but now I have Stock recovery rather than TWRP.
    Try installing stock rom from recovery. Stick rom is the zip from the extracted files from the zip with recovery aml autoscript and other stuff
    So I've messed up my Dad's tablet and need help fast(Karbonn Smart Tab 8 version 2).
    It all started when I downloaded SwitchMe for multiple user accounts, and I got stuck in my second account which had no ram to install apps. I'm rooted with TWRP 2.4.2.0 which i got from this guide. After that, I tried to factory reset and alot more but it kept going back to the same state. Then, I formatted /data. After that things screwed up, when I boot it gets stuck on the logo screen, I've tried installing the stock rom but it keeps failing in TWRP, it says "E: Cannot open zip".
    I've tried pushing the file through adb, but that too seems to fail, in cmd it says 100% but in TWRP it tells me that it can't open sideload.zip.
    I've tried flashing the stock rom many times, tried two versions(from different sites) but everything results in errors.
    Please help me.

U r in a bootloop/soft brick.... The best way to resolve this problem is flashing a new rom( stock rom in our case ).
    The method which i am about to tell u is experimental and not tried by anyone to my knowledge. If u are willing, you can try it.
    Get this ZIP and extract it. Put the contents of this zip in the root of sdcard and boot the tablet.
    Also, before trying out this method take a look at THIS
    You would be doing everything at ur own risk.....so read a little and try to understand what ur doing
    TWRP Recvoery For smart tab 8 ver 2 Stock flashable

EDIT: ur zip dosent flash in stock recovery....i got the recovery.img from zip and flashed it using flash_image binary

1. TWRP menu is visible and can be navigated
    2. All buttons working
    3. Reboot and settings menu fully working
    4. Backup and Restore working ( tried system and data backup )
    5. Mount menu ....only external sdcard can be mounted
    6. Advanced menu copy log to sd working ....terminal command and file manager not working( flickering of recovery -->slide to unlock then black out)
    7. Didnt try install and wipe options